Does MTV Still Matter To Music Fans?

Shawn Amos 2010/02/09 19:00:00

Read More: http://www.sodahead.com/music/just-dont-call-it-mu...

• Fef 2010/02/09 23:46:25
    Fef
    +5
    Do they have music anymore? I have to turn into Sirius XM on my DirectTV to hear music on my television since no "music channels" play any music anymore.
    sirius xm directtv hear music television music channels play music

• Amanda-Ashley 2010/02/12 00:43:29
    Amanda-Ashley
    How can it when they never play music?
  • Joy 2010/02/11 01:15:02
    Joy
    +2
    MTV is SUPPOSED to be about music!! NOT crappy reality shows!!!
  • S-DAWG!! 2010/02/11 00:23:15
    S-DAWG!!
    +3
    I'm sorry MTV. Seriously, MTV was amazing in the 80s and 90s but they hardly ever even play music anymore. Its ridiculous. I have completely switched over to VH1 and VH1 Classic. At least they play music that I wanna hear like Michael Jackson, Bon Jovi, REO, Bruce Springsteen, Journey, The Eagles, Boston, and a lot of newer artists too. So I actually get to hear music!
  • Christopher 2010/02/10 21:35:45
    Christopher
    +2
    i am 17 and i hate MTV for the past two years once i started to like music now. i mostly hear 80's music, that is where all the real music came from. why do you think the stock for music right now is going down because of these kind of music today. 80's music will never die, it will live forever more. Prince was there, Michael jackson, springsteen, madonna, diana ross, steve wonder.etc.
  • Video Killed the Radio Star 2010/02/10 21:27:24
    Video Killed the Radio Star
    +3
    I wish back when they were considering starting these reality shows and whatnot, they would have started another network and left MTV alone. They took something that was so cool and even remotely genuine and slowly turned it into a "meth-user" version of its former self. I would have called it MTV DUH
  • Tim 2010/02/10 21:13:08
    Tim
    +2
    No! Mtv sucks now that it went to all crap reality shows. I still enjoy VH1 when they actually play some old school videos like on pop up video, but Mtv no longer has anything to do with music...guess they should just change the name and tagline to GTBR TV- Garbage Teeny-Booper Reality TV. Plus, since most artists these days have no talent to begin with there wouldn't be much point in making music videos anymore either.
  • RV ~ The Peacekeeper of PHAET 2010/02/10 20:54:12
    RV ~ The Peacekeeper of PHAET
    no i only watch mtv world stage sometimes (only with good artists) the rest is crap
  • Joaquin O. Gonzalez 2010/02/10 19:50:24
    Joaquin O. Gonzalez
    +2
    MTV has been a joke for about ten years now. It really is pathetic now. One it was one of the channels I would 1st tune in to, now I don't even consider it at all.
  • Caity 2010/02/10 19:23:42
    Caity
    I'm glad they finally dropped the "music television" part of their logo. They never play music anymore, and if they do it's just mainstream crap.
  • angelica 2010/02/10 18:42:55
    angelica
    youtube is the new mtv
    +3
    Mtv has been inexcusably horrible for like 15 years. They decided to completely abandon everyone who made them big in the first place.
  • GeorgeB 2010/02/10 16:21:52
    GeorgeB
    +3
    They should be called douchebag TV. They haven't been relevant to intelligent music fans for two decades.
  • Some Guy ~ þhαετ~ 2010/02/10 15:56:15
    Some Guy ~ þhαετ~
    I remember the dawn of MTV. I remember the first music video they aired ("Video Killed the Radio Star" by the Buggles). If I rember correctly, the second was "You Better Run" by Pat Benatar.

Anyhoo, back then it was cutting edge. The videos were fun to watch, and it was a great background setting for just hanging out with your friends and doing whatever. Then they began to degenerate to mostly concert footage videos and it just wasn't the same. I haven't tuned in to MTV in years, because I no longer saw any videos at any time I visited that channel.

Sad, really, since it was such a great concept and so much fun. Younger people may think of those classic old videos as hokey now, but back in those days, we spent many happy hours watching Benatar, Asia, J. Giles, The Split Enz, Blondie, Duran Duran and dozens of other bands performing in some truly entertaining videos.
  • Meg 2010/02/10 14:55:58
    Meg
    They don't even play music anymore. They just fill up time with pointless, irrelevant "reality" shows. I've never really watched MTV all that much, because I'm mostly a country music fan, but CMT has done the same thing.
  • J03Y W@$ H3R3~In Kira I tru... 2010/02/10 14:32:09
    J03Y W@$ H3R3~In Kira I trust~►One Hit Rage Quit◄
    I wish "Mtv" would shrivel up and die, and take their damn Guido's with them. I swear, if I have to hear one more word about The Jersey Shore I will smash my television or better yet the people who watch the show.
  • Scooter 2010/02/10 14:26:43
    Scooter
    +3
    MTV died a looooooooong time ago.
  • mrmagoo 2010/02/10 13:42:32
    mrmagoo
    I don't watch it with all that rap crap
  • I know... 2010/02/10 07:44:06
    I know...
    MTV- talent not needed
  • BDANDREA72 2010/02/10 07:23:54
    BDANDREA72
    +1
    MTV hasn't player music in years, I could careless for the TV show that get air -time on the network. They have VMA with no VM.
  • StevenCee 2010/02/10 07:15:39
    StevenCee
    +3
    MTV stopped being about music MANY years ago! And as a professional musician myself, I feel it's in fact, been a DETRIMENT to both the exposure of live music, especially newer artists, the quality of music, which is at about the lowest level it's EVER been, and even the dumbing down of kids...... The best thing that could happen, for the state of music in America, would be if MTV & BET both went off the air, forever.
  • LuciLooLoo 2010/02/10 07:02:45
    LuciLooLoo
    +3
    Along with everyone else, I have to agree. MTV died long ago.
    Ironically as the first video told us: Video Killed the Radio Star.
    Indeed.
  • STEVEN 2010/02/10 06:42:54
    STEVEN
    +3
    VHI HAS MORE MUSIC
  • Brent 2010/02/10 06:41:52
    Brent
    +2
    MTV left music fans long ago. The channel that was all music all the time left us long ago. Music related shows like Remote Control & Bevis and Butthead were alright but the debut of Real World left the viewers of the "MTV" generation behind. The debut of MTV2 was supposed to lure back the generation but failed because the videos were lacking in origionality. VH-1 accepted in the MTV generatin for a short time before surcoming to the rating pressure. The only place for the MTV generation to go to now is the internet. Thanks MTV, for totally turning you back on the people that made you famous and the very reason for your existance. Video may have killed the radio star but MTV killed the video star.
  • clint2165 2010/02/10 06:26:03
    clint2165
    +3
    MTV sucks, it use to have the greatest network. You could and did lay in front of the boob tube for hours @ a time. It is beyond LAME. As they so though it's for the kids. Well if it's for the kids and the kids like it THEY ARE MORONS. They wouldn't know real music from ice cream. The king is truly dead......... VH-1 classic is a good thing. (I KNOW IT IS PART OF THE MTV media conglomerate, but it's cool)
  • dw<3 2010/02/10 06:21:31
    dw<3
    MTV has sucked for years. It's all about rap and reality shows that are so fake it's pathetic. I only watch it if I want to laugh at how far downhill they have gone and reminisce on the good old days. Now which channel was headbangers ball on again? Sigh. I miss that show and when it was on I was too young to appreciate it=/
  • alysiara 2010/02/10 06:06:06
    alysiara
    +2
    so sick of reality shows, this is just the final proof that MTV is nothing that will get any teen away from the pc, cell phone, or xbox.

Giving fame junkies their fifteen minutes isnt cute, exciting or fun. Its dull. Eighties videos will rule forever, anything now is just a naked woman with a synthesized voice shaking her butt or the other side, the man after the woman shaking her butt.And lets face it, when you went to that, women were turned off and men said, "meh i can get better with online porn."

Change the name, because sadly, you grew up just as we did, and just like the rest of us, sweetie - hate to break it to ya... you aint that cool any more.
  • Mu 2010/02/10 05:40:42
    Mu
    +1
    MTV died in the 80s. I never watch the smut & crap on that channel & haven't for well over 15 years. However, a lot of the videos these days are nothing but smut & nearly naked people parading around, so I don't care to see that either. I honestly only care about the early years of MTV / VH-1. Those are the best years & always will be. There's so much to be said & so little time!
  • Erock 2010/02/10 05:29:25
    Erock
    its mostly a reality tv network now .. go to fuse its more music orientated lol
  • Jake 2010/02/10 05:24:18
    Jake
    +1
    It was probably 1988 when the music died from MTV. It is a shame that music doesn't count for anything anymore. I could care less about the pittiful lives of those on reality shows. Maybe MTV should be called Reality Television!
  • BuckeyeDan 2010/02/10 05:21:34
    BuckeyeDan
    +2
    MTV has been a joke for about 15 years now....
  • pierced.lola 2010/02/10 04:56:06
    pierced.lola
    I haven't watched MTV in eons. If I want to see a bunch of fat ass females shaking their bubble butts I'll go to Compton.
  • Apollo 2010/02/10 04:43:26
    Apollo
    +3
    MTV isn't even worth looking at anymore. Dare I say it, but even VH1 has better music. Reality TV is taking over what we all once knew and loved as entertainment.
  • The7thGuest 2010/02/10 04:42:28
    The7thGuest
    +1
    lol....r u guys serious....too many stations show reality shows...those guys are just trying to pay their bills like everyone else....
  • Uprise 2010/02/10 04:42:02
    Uprise
    +2
    MTV is mildly relevant, but hardcore music fans and even your pop radio listeners don't really need MTV for the latest in music.
  • Hondo 2010/02/10 04:34:57
    Hondo
    +1
    It looks like " Reality shows " Killed the Video Star.
  • Eric 2010/02/10 04:10:35
    Eric
    +1
    The producers should kick their own esses and get back to what MTV was really about. I cant stant to even look at that station any more. Thanks fellas
  • Jimmy V 2010/02/10 04:00:03
    Jimmy V
    +3
    MTZzzzzzzz boring.
  • keith 2010/02/10 03:54:55
    keith
    +1
    I remember MTV in the heyday! No commercials! With sound, or in color! What happened? Sellouts.
  • bmaz911 2010/02/10 03:45:48
    bmaz911
    +3
    Long Long time ago..I can still remember how that music used to make me smile...sorry, just don't watch it anymore, because there is no music!
  • Sandman 2010/02/10 03:41:08
    Sandman
    +3
    MTV sucks and their Music Video Award show is a joke (It's where they give out awards for the music videos that they don't show

2014/09/22 16:32:42