Does Hollywood Encourage Teen Promiscuity?

Daryl 2012/07/19 22:00:00
Watching sex scenes in Hollywood films can make children more promiscuous and sexually active from a younger age, a new study has suggested. Do you think Hollywood encourages teen promiscuity?

hollywood

Read More: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/94079...

• Daryl 2012/07/19 00:11:53
    Daryl
    +20
    There is a lot of money to be made by exploiting the teen sex drive.

Too bad the kids lives are ruined in the process.

• Ian Red Rose 2012/07/22 06:29:52
    Ian
    I though oral sex was somene talking dirty!
  • Look YourWay 2012/07/21 05:55:55
    Look YourWay
    +1
    What's happening in today's society?
  • RoyJLores 2012/07/21 05:14:42
    RoyJLores
    +2
    Yes it does...
  • KB 2012/07/21 01:52:18
    KB
    +5
    If you're a virgin you're a loser. If you're a man who respects women as humans instead of having sex with them every three minutes you're a loser. If you're a woman who doesn't get pregnant in high school while having sex with every boy ever then you're a loser.
  • Angel* 2012/07/21 01:49:41
    Angel*
    Hollywood only writes what has already been done. No one can make us do anything we
    Don't want to do. Hollywood is the new Satin, and just like the Devil we give them to much
    Credit.
  • Angel* Angel* 2012/07/21 02:00:11
    Angel*
    BTW, American Beauty is a grate film. 5 stars!!
  • daniel wayne 2012/07/21 00:36:24
    daniel wayne
    +1
    i think its the other way around. i think there's a lot more going on in the burbs than on the screen.
  • AmericanVirus 2012/07/21 00:33:45
    AmericanVirus
    +1
    Without question, to think otherwise would just show that you're blind lol
  • Anonymousforobvious 2012/07/21 00:31:34
    Anonymousforobvious
    +1
    i don't think they need encouragement.
  • Ian Anonymo... 2012/07/22 06:28:54
    Ian
    No you are right we should not give them MORE encouragement!
  • Marissa Garreffa 2012/07/21 00:30:41 (edited)
    Marissa Garreffa
    +1
    Hollywood films might not help but teenagers that are promiscuous are going to be promiscuous anyway.
  • Ian Marissa... 2012/07/21 07:04:58
    Ian
    Perhaps you are right,but what has made them more promiscuous!
  • Marissa... Ian 2012/07/22 03:44:31
    Marissa Garreffa
    The whole world has become more promiscuous. It's not the 50's anymore.
  • Ian Marissa... 2012/07/22 06:25:47
    Ian
    Ok what has made the world more promiscuous,it just did not happen.There is always a cause we might never know or find out why youngsters are more promiscuous.
    But it did not just happen there is always something there that starts a change in attitudes.
    Do you actually have to have graphic sex scenes in movies to make it a good film,or is If there is no graphic sex scene, they are scared the movie will fail, on the other hand, the top ten money making movies of all time did not have sexually graphic scenes.
    You are correct, its more promiscuous, but there is always a reason why that change started,there is strong evidence that,video game,films, TV do change attitudes,for good or bad.
    Just think that youngsters today are very impressionable,and has a society
    we cant keep on saying,its only a video game he did not really do that, it was only a film that gang did not rape that woman till she ended up on life support,no you cant swear like that joe just because you favorite comedian is doing it.
    Perhaps it the way kids are raised up,by son swears ill clip his year,and when he ask why i go did you have to swear and he goes no.
    Some of his mates swear, but not in my house,so i asked a few of them if not in my house why swear on the street.They all were stumped.
  • Marissa... Ian 2012/07/22 06:50:50
    Marissa Garreffa
    Yes the world has changed, and of course films and other media will effect that but what I'm try to say is; It's not wholly the fault of films. Numerous things factor in to the change of culture. The internet has been the biggest factor yet not film.

The majority of my favorite films don't have graphic sex scenes and the few that do I ALWAYS skip the sex part.

You can't say film did all that ether. Film, TV, and games can be triggers to all sorts of behavior but their just that triggers.
  • Ian Marissa... 2012/07/23 05:57:15
    Ian
    +1
    Yes,perhaps the cinema was just one of the triggers, i think it will be impossible to enforce it over all the media.
    If we ignore it, it will get worse, but how can they/we enforce it.
    Better sex education, and maybe to be taught that you do not have to go with the flow, just because the others have done this, or done that.
    And if they are pressurized by friends, they should ask if i do not want to do this, why are you applying pressure on me to do it.
  • Marissa... Ian 2012/07/23 06:55:38
    Marissa Garreffa
    Exactly.
  • jackie 2012/07/21 00:18:32
    jackie
    +1
    of course they do im 19 and I seen it a lot. I really think the directors have a thing for teenagers.
  • Kelly Welly 2012/07/20 23:49:07
    Kelly Welly
    it doesnt help but it isnt the reason teenagers are promiscuous its hormones and sometimes boredom, its just the way they are. i never watched a tv show and thought that oh i need to go out and find a man to jump just because my favourite characters on a tv show or in a film are doing it lool
  • Jacob Torres 2012/07/20 23:47:09
    Jacob Torres
    Those hormones kick in as early as 8 or 9 years old. Biology needs no help from Hollywood.
  • Ian Jacob T... 2012/07/21 06:38:40
    Ian
    Yes that true, but teenage venereal disease and pregnancies are going through the roof,and its not proportionate has a % 10,20,30, years ago so what has to be asked is what is making the figure from proportionate to disproportionate.
    If x amount of under 16s are sexually active per 1000 now, 30 years ago it would have been the same, or something similar.its not.
    Some of these STD will affect their health, now and in the future.
    You may be right about those hormones, but these hormones have been around for a long time,girls of 12,13,and even 14 getting pregnant was unheard of in my village 30 years ago, a girl in the village with us has slept with 12 boys before she was 14, she now is pushing a pram around the village.
    Yes i love rumby pumby and am not a prude,just feel that kid of today are having sex way to young!
    Those hormone should always be there, we have to help them keep them controlled till at least they know why the want sex,not because Sue or Shelley has had sex,not because they have to have sex to be part of that group.Because they are ready for it.
  • Ian Jacob T... 2012/07/22 06:27:58
    Ian
    Sorry Jacob meant the reply for Marissa.
  • Jacob T... Ian 2012/07/22 17:10:58
    Jacob Torres
    np
  • BloodlessVeins 2012/07/20 23:41:44
    BloodlessVeins
    +1
    However, so does porno and teenage boys that they want to like them.
  • thє вluє wαndєrєr 2012/07/20 22:49:28
  • Emo Rocker 2012/07/20 22:28:51
    Emo Rocker
    +2
    that would be a duh question...
  • serethiel 2012/07/20 22:26:00
    serethiel
    +2
    films may promote and encourage teen promiscuity, but due to hormones and environment, etc., many of them are going to do it regardless of said films. it's natural.
  • thє вlu... serethiel 2012/07/20 22:50:27
  • Ian serethiel 2012/07/21 06:47:59
    Ian
    But why is it increasing, Std and under 16 pregnancies are going through the roof.
    Its not natural for a girl of 14 to get pregnant(ok in the civilized world) a girl from the village having had sex with 12 boys by the time she was 14.
    My cousin who is head of a health area, tells me that underage sex is going through the roof,there has to be a reason, it may not be all the fault of the cinema but it is part of the problem.
  • serethiel Ian 2012/07/21 15:10:44
    serethiel
    i think part of it is the fact that in school, sex is talked about constantly. pressure is put onto people to have sex because they've heard their friends saying they've had sex (when most of the time it's a lie) and the unwanted pregnancies come from not being careful enough due to various reasons. in some schools sex education is taught well but in others it isn't. also, sex is a very "adult" thing, so naturally teenagers want to do it to look more mature. i'm sure there are plenty of other factors too, like the media, but i'm speaking from the perspective of a teenager (i'm 15) and that's just my take on it.
  • Ian serethiel 2012/07/21 17:28:07
    Ian
    Good point,has i did say i do not think its the fault of the cinema altogether,and yes unwanted pregnancies should be averted by birth-control.
    But stds and underage sex is not proportionate to 10/20/30 years ago.
    When i was young i could not wait to shave like my old man,drive a car,i did not want to bonk when i was 13/14/ or 15.
    Yes i think you are right that a % of these girls and boys are just saying lies about who they have had sex with.
    Just think the media is a powerful tool, that can be used for good or bad unintentionally/intentionally.
    Swearing these days is common, in fact so common some people think that it overpowers their freedom of speech if they were asked to stop,it has become socially
    accepted by people that it is ok to swear and cuss in front of people, perhaps seeing so much sex on the tv and cinemas has done the same thing.
    Just think you can make it look dead sexy without privates, being exposed.
  • rcardon 2012/07/20 22:12:35
    rcardon
    +1
    Most teens are of a "monkey-see-monkey-do" mindset, as they try to determine who they are and how they fit into the world. If they watch adults having sex, explicit or not, they will want to try it too.
    The earlier kids become sexually active, the more likely they are to have dysfunctional relationships later, as their sense of love and intimacy gets skewed. Also, the more likely they are to have a child out of wedlock, which puts more kids into the adoption system, or more teen mothers on welfare. Yeah, that's what we need. :-P
  • Ian rcardon 2012/07/21 06:49:31
    Ian
    +1
    Plenty of evidence to support this,kids see, kids do.
  • Nameless 2012/07/20 21:31:37
    Nameless
    +1
    No, no, no. Teens do it - no matter what. I don't care what religious background, what class, what social status, what tax bracket their parents are in... what movies they see. Sex is hormonal and normal. What we do as parents to communicate about sex is what has an impact on whether or not our children have sex - and if they do, practice safe sex.
  • Ian Nameless 2012/07/21 06:55:08
    Ian
    +2
    No its not normal for a kid of 12,13,14 to have sex,its going through the roof we have to ask why is it going through the roof.
    Its getting worse, std and teenage pregnancy's
  • Nameless Ian 2012/07/21 15:31:19
    Nameless
    The fact that teens having sex is on the rise has its roots in Nancy Reagan's "Just Say No" campaign. When we teach our children to PROTECT themselves, we get much further. Also, girls are starting their periods much earlier than they used to and are, hormonally, becoming more interested in sex at a much earlier age.

Sex is normal. Sexual activity is normal. Masturbation is normal.

Parents and religious organizations who treat sex lik a tabu subject and don't teach only the "Just Say No" mantra but also the physical components of sexual activity as well as the emotional and psychological components are doing their children an injustice.

Parents should be open to conversations about sex as soon as their children start to ask questions or exhibit sexual behavior. Statements like "Don't touch yourself there!" are ignorant. Sitting down with the child and saying "That's not appropriate to do with anyone else around, so if that makes you feel good, then you need to go to your room and close your door..." Our younger daughter was born when our extremely bright elder daughter was almost 5 years old. Our elder began asking questions - a lot of them - when I was pregnant and we answered her. We didn't avoid answering because it was, sometimes, uncomfortable.

As our elder daugh...

As our elder daughter grew up we discussed having a baby at an early age and the consequences. There was a girl who was in 5th grade (our daughter was in kindergarten and reading to 4th graders) who was pregnant... A few years later we discussed how if one is not mature enough to discuss sex with one's parents or some other respected adult, then one is not mature enough to be having sex with someone else. When our elder was a senior in high school - just a few months before she turned 18 - we were on the way to her annual physical and she said to me, "Mom, I need to go on the pill." I nearly drove off the roade (LOL!) but maintained because I am the Mom. I calmly said "Okay, we will talk to doc and as long as you're physically cleared, I support you." No parent should EVER jump on a child when they want to go on birth control.

We sat down with our daughter and her boyfriend (now husband of 8 years) and told them they should use a backup, yadda yadda yadda. We said, out of respect for us, no sex in our home.

We need to talk to our children about sex. We need good sex education. Saying no is great, but it's an absolute joke to think that all - or even most teens will "Just say no."

So, the "Just Say No" generation were unable to say no - and now their children... How ironic, and sad.
  • Ian Nameless 2012/07/21 17:50:57
    Ian
    Good points, parent should talk to their children about sex, the point i am making is that the way the cinema is conveying over the sex scenes, they can make it very steamy without the clothes coming of.
    Cool hand luke when that woman was washing the car, i had cold baths for a year after that.
    Oh and in parts of the world they still do marry at 13/14.
    Just another point to ponder is that crime is also not proportionate to what it was 10/20/30 years ago.
    Is the media tool being used in a thoughtful manner, you and i can have this debate till the cows (and bulls) go home i just think a line in the sand has to be drawn so that these movie makers do not cross.
    If a film has to have a sex scene in it, does it have to be over the top, or can they sit back and make it steamy.
    Ask your husband if like me, he likes women sand volley ball, i look at it and think it the most sexy thing ever, still have not got a clue on the rules, and most of the time do not knows who wins, has i told my wife who cares its only a game.(its not all about winning)
    They keep their clothes on and its dead sexy, my wife likes the football for some reason that i cant fathom.
  • Nameless Ian 2012/07/21 18:15:35
    Nameless
    Ummm, I like all sorts of sports and to think that a woman likes sports because of the clothing worn or the body types involved is mind numbingly sexist. Unless, of course, your wife is a complete sports fool and has no clue about what the rules are, the history of the game, etc...

And, no, my husband isn't like you - and I, thank G-d, nothing like your wife. I, for instance, can tell you when baseball started - the best knowledge of various historians. I can tell you who likely did NOT invent it. I can tell you the diference between pre- and post-modern era. I can argue pro and con DH. I can tell you why Selig is a fool. I can tell you why expansion has NOT been good for the game.

None of those things have anything to do with the topic at hand.

Make sure you wear a wrapper.
  • Ian Nameless 2012/07/23 06:14:04 (edited)
    Ian
    I did not mean it like that, what i was trying to convey over is that,these women have got their clothes on and its more sexy than them being naked,my wife does understand football (apart from off side)
    What i was trying to convey over that in films, they do not have to take their clothes of to make it sexy.
    I was using volley ball has a example, i like the men volley ball has well, i do not look at their legs.
    And yes my wife has said, when look at the world cup "he has a lovely pair of legs" it does not make her a sexual deviant.
    What did you mean my husband is not like you, was it my fault not putting my point over maybe.
    And you are nothing like my wife was that again me not putting my point over, please explain.
    I have asked a load of my friends do you find women volley ball sexy, 99% of them said yes,it does not make the perverts.
    The point is if they can make volley ball sexy, i am sure they can make a scene in films provocative without graphic sex scenes.
    And what does make sure you wear a wrapper mean, i would like a explanation!
  • Nameless Ian 2012/07/21 15:32:11
    Nameless
    Oh, and if one believes in the bible, Mary had Jesus at around 12-13 yrs old. Just sayin'

2014/08/29 22:33:08