Does Bob Dylan Deserve France's Highest Honor?

Peter Charles 2013/11/15 23:00:00
In an unprecedented move by French officials, Bob Dylan was awarded the Legion of Honor, France's highest military and civil commendation.

This came after opposition from grand chancellor Jean-Louis Georgelin who voiced concerns about Dylan's eligibility based on his history of anti-war opinions and marijuana use.

Christian Bertrand / Shutterstock.com

The 17-member approval committee initially blocked the decision to honor the famed American songwriter, but culture minister Aurelie Filippetti defended Dylan, pointing to the fact that he had received the U.S. Presidental Medal of Freedom just last year. President Obama also praised the musician saying he is “the greatest American musician in history."

Although the award is typically reserved for France's military and civil heroes, the committee eventually reconsidered and announced in June that Dylan would indeed receive the award.

What's your opinion, SodaHeads? Does Dylan deserve this honor, or should it be reserved for French nationals? How do you feel about musicians receiving awards normally reserved for military and civil servants?

Read More: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/bob-dylan-re...

• Sir Bud. 2013/11/16 05:46:25
    Sir Bud.
    +10
    Symbolically shows that France respects America and is not Xenophobic-which judging by some of the comments here-cannot be said of everyone.

• Royo 2013/12/01 13:00:45
    Royo
    France is literally so dumb, honestly they just fail on all accounts.
  • Phyllis Murphy 2013/11/25 17:24:57
    Phyllis Murphy
    I have never understood this icon elevation of this man who has the worst singing voice I ever heard sung with his mediocre lyrics...an elevated what??
  • MsDianna 2013/11/20 19:38:59
    MsDianna
    no he doesn't deserve an award from anyone
  • bacon.nivison 2013/11/20 18:04:55
    bacon.nivison
    Being honored by France would be an embarrassment. Bob Dylan should not be subjected to such blasphemy...
  • addie 2013/11/20 10:39:01
    addie
    I guess.

Isn't their highest honor the Croix de guerre?? And isn't it military and haven't they given it to many non French Nationals?

I do not feel like looking it up.
  • Flamingolady 2013/11/20 02:59:00
    Flamingolady
    I was a Dylan fan in 1963 before most people knew who he was. He wrote songs for everyone, and finally decided to record some himself. In the early years he would make your ears bleed, but he did take voice lessons and came out with Lay Lady Lay, and somme songs that were really nice. Once in Key West at Mallory Square, a singer was singing for money and my friends and I asked him to play a Jimmy Buffett song, and he refused, and said instead, how about requesting a Bob Dylan song to which I (smart ass that I am) requested Subterranean Homesick Blues. If a person could die from the evil eye, not only would I be dead, but incinerated and scattered to the winds. I count it as one of my finest smart ass moments. If France wants to honor him, that is fabulous. Another piece of trivia,, he once declared his favorite song was He Went to Paris, by my very favorite singer, Jimmy Buffett. Here are both songs:
  • Diddley Squat 2013/11/20 00:39:37
    Diddley Squat
    Yes! He deserves that and more!
  • T.K 2013/11/20 00:10:11
    T.K
    Bob Dylan is more than a musician, he is an anti-war activist, he is a visionary, he speaks of wold peace and believes it possible. and (unlike politicians) is actually doing something about it and trying to achieve it by non aggressive means. trying to get his word through to people by his music. he definitely deserves the Legion of Honour and more for not what hes done for one country or for what hes doing for his nation (which is what the award is reserved for) but he is trying to achieve something that the entire of planet earth will only benefit from
  • Franklin 2013/11/19 19:11:48 (edited)
    Franklin
    it is the French, who cares?
  • Phyllis... Franklin 2013/11/25 17:26:45
    Phyllis Murphy
    Boy the men who won this French honor was usually reserve for those who were men, men of men, not some elevated guy with a horrible voice and mediocre lyrics spouting his hate of all that has made him a man of extreme wealth! Give me a break!
  • Josh Stephens 2013/11/19 15:33:04
    Josh Stephens
    +1
    Dylan changed the world with his songs.
  • A Fab 2013/11/19 15:02:42
    A Fab
    Yes, he makes good music that rocks the whole world, he unites nations. why not conservatives and haters? Music is good for the soul and makes people happy
  • Kara ~~~ American Patriot 2013/11/19 04:20:10
    Kara ~~~ American Patriot
    I only said yes because I like Bob Dylan. I do not know enough about the situation to know which way to answer.

I have always loved Bob Dylan...
  • ghostrider 2013/11/19 03:55:01
    ghostrider
    +1
    If the French deem it appropriate then so be it.
  • damian-the omen 2013/11/19 02:36:32
  • Beccy 2013/11/19 02:35:57
    Military may be needed at times but peace is the answer. Dylan has done everything in his power to make peace
  • kitkat42 2013/11/18 23:32:48
    kitkat42
    If France thinks so, then who am I to disagree. Its their choice, not ours.
  • weenyboy 2013/11/18 22:49:11
  • Ed 2013/11/18 20:56:29
    Ed
    +1
    The French awarded Bob Dylan the Legion of Honor, France's highest military and civil commendation? Yep them are the French.

Congratulations Bobby Zimmerman.
  • gg 2013/11/18 20:45:45
    gg
    +1
    It is France's honor to bestow upon him. Why is it my business? Think up less ridiculous questions, please.
  • the Supreme 2013/11/18 20:27:34
    the Supreme
    he sucks
  • Sarah 2013/11/18 19:00:51
    Sarah
    Bob Dylan deserves everything that he gets. He has earned this honor
  • cranejumper 2013/11/18 16:27:57
    cranejumper
    +1
    just like jerry lewis
  • Pistol Pete 2013/11/18 14:47:54
    Pistol Pete
    +1
    Why not? They treasure Jerry Lewis. Why not Bob Dylan?
    I am not a citizen of France, so it is NONE of my business anyhow. Let the citizens of France decide WHO they honor. The U.S. pokes it's nose into MANY places that it does not belong. Hence the term "Ugly American".
  • dkdoyle 2013/11/18 14:08:29
    dkdoyle
    Don't get me wrong. I like bob dylans music but to get these honors is crazy. He makes music lets keep in context
  • T.K dkdoyle 2013/11/20 00:14:09
    T.K
    but its what he is trying to achieve through his music that matters. Bob Dylan is trying to change the world for the better and is doing so without violence or aggression. its not just music he makes when he plays his guitar.
  • Phyllis... T.K 2013/11/25 17:36:43
    Phyllis Murphy
    Sorry, I never considered his grating sounds music!
  • Phyllis... dkdoyle 2013/11/25 17:36:13
    Phyllis Murphy
    As a life time musician classically and born country girl so attuned thru Daddy to this music but became a pianist, percussionist, classical guitar teacher and choir member and played professionally most of my lie but form the very first time I watched this man I thought he was boring and had absolutely the most horrible voice ever coming out of a mouth and pretending it was music...But given the uneducated taste for 5 generations or so, the worst it is or the louder it is or the more vulgar and hate filled it is, then it is elevated to greatness.. Auditoriums filled with pot heads and snuffers have created this icon but I do question the Legion of Honor! Whew! If one has read about these tough guys and awards, this guy rather pales and fails miserably in deserving the honor! But then I think the Nobel Peace Prize has been compromised giving it to Al gooney greedy Gore who created a farce for money, and Jimmy Carter whose ego in his old years needed anointing so there he went traveling all over the world with grandiose highly publicized events(why not stay in US and go to ghettos) and then the worst of the worst, Obama being awarded the Nobel Peace Prize as soon as he was elected. I thought the Nobel Prize was for brilliance and exceptional individuals of Science so I conclude, most awards today are phony but people lap em up just like Obama's medal meanderings recently.
  • irish 2013/11/18 13:23:16
    irish
    no one needs honors or medals.
  • Phyllis... irish 2013/12/15 00:47:43
    Phyllis Murphy
    Amen! Irish. My grandparents from County Cork!
  • lkreu 2013/11/18 13:18:40
    lkreu
    +1
    Bob is a musical genius and I am thankful I have seen him several times. And, will see him again, hopefully.
  • Sarah lkreu 2013/11/18 18:52:04
    Sarah
    +1
    I have seen him too, and yes he is a genius.
  • Greg Saunders 2013/11/18 11:52:36
    Greg Saunders
    I've never listened to him since watching a documentary on him and he was asked about his songs and politics. He replied that they were just songs nothing more as his own personal chef passed him his breakfast in his millionaires motorhome....
  • CAPISCE 2013/11/18 11:37:30
    CAPISCE
    +2
    Whatever Bob Dylan gets he deserves and then some
  • cocktailsquid 2013/11/18 10:23:25
    cocktailsquid
    +1
    I do not like that entertainers are the ones that are so often given "highest honors", when there are so many who do much for the people of their country and go unacknowledged. Being a talented and influential entertainer is of little value in comparison to those who truly serve the people. This is right on line with knighting Elton John, Paul McCartney, and Phil Collins.
  • Phyllis... cocktai... 2013/11/25 17:37:30
    Phyllis Murphy
    Phil Collins one of the greats!
  • cocktai... Phyllis... 2013/11/28 06:34:20
    cocktailsquid
    For me, being a talented musician should have no reflexion on your qualifications to be knighted.
  • Phyllis... cocktai... 2013/12/15 00:46:21
    Phyllis Murphy
    As a life time musician and entertainer, American music began disintegrating in to a cacophony of ear deafening noise that is causing early deafness in people today in their early 40's. I have a couple sons who went to these concerts of fools, the fools the audience paying big money to listen to guys who got together in their garages and began plunking and banging on drums and with the help of sound, voila! I am an entertainer. Music in America is absolutely pitiful and is just another sign of the total disintegration of a once great country!
  • Phyllis... cocktai... 2013/12/15 00:51:17
    Phyllis Murphy
    +1
    Well, given people handed out Nobel Peace Price, i.e. idiot, Al Gore, Jimmy Carter and Obama who had no record of anything but getting elected by Chicago gangsters and Marxist Terrorist Weatherman Bomber, Bill Ayers and freak wife Bernadine Dohrn, yeah these are pretty freaky qualifications for the Nobel Peace Prize but then Obama is a Frankenstein freak of Ayers and Dohrn, created and supported by their Marxist ACORN Chicago gang who by hook and crook got Obama the man with no identity elected President. Yeh! Maybe you are right, Obama may go down in history as the biggest political heist ever foisted on American voters!
  • cocktai... Phyllis... 2014/03/26 19:45:16
    cocktailsquid
    It always comes down to big awards going to people with big names, with little to no regard to their actual contributions to the world.

2014/07/28 02:36:55