Does Aisha Tyler Seem Like a Gamer? (She Says She Is)

Gaming 2012/06/14 18:00:00
Like "nerd" and "geek," "gamer" has gone from being a somewhat derogatory term to one of endearment and pride. To underline that transition, comedian and actress Aisha Tyler stepped up to the plate as the host of Ubisoft's press conference at E3 last weekend. Things seemed to be going well at the conference, but online, the "Archer" star was bitten with a wave of resistance. Gamers were accusing her of being unqualified -- not a real gamer, just a sexy face.

Tyler shot back. On Tuesday, she wrote on Facebook, "I've played since I was a little kid. Since I begged my dad to buy me a Nintendo LCD Donkey Kong, Jr. Since I blew through three weeks' allowance playing Defender at the laundromat. Since you were a twinge in the left side of your daddy's underoos ... I'll still be playing when your mom's kicked you out of her basement and you have to sell your old-ass console and get a real job." There's much, much more where that came from. Do you buy it? Is Aisha Tyler really a gamer?

• Cookielane 2012/07/19 16:26:51
    Cookielane
    If she says she is, then why not? I know plenty of gamers - some are geeky, some not. some incredibly intelligent, some not. There's no stereotypical gamer that I know of.
  • Zamboni - Madoka Magica fan... 2012/07/18 22:09:57
    Zamboni - Madoka Magica fan BN0
    Does she have to look anything in particular to be a gamer?

Like music (my favorite being metal), like literature, and like many other arts, you don't have to look anything to be fan of anything. These are mere constructions. It's all for everyone, all genders, all looks, all beliefs, all orientations, all everything.
  • FortunaVeritas 2012/07/09 00:37:23
    FortunaVeritas
    To the people who think there's a look, hell no. For one thing, she's a woman who would be considered attractive if she was in a room full of women who were at worst above average. For another thing, she doesn't jive with the stereotype of being either pasty and White or of Asian-descent.

My understanding is that even the "gamer in the street" expects female gamers to be slightly less attractive than the general population of women on average and to mostly appear desirable due to an artificial perception of scarcity of women who game.

Which then leads us into the bit where female gamers are still more seen as objects of fantasy than as people, and women who are objectified but aren't up to snuff in terms of attraction are dismissed as worthless and the world continuing to disappoint them, whereas women who are legitimately attractive run the risk of triggering the same sort of reaction as when one starts to believe that one is being conned.

At least, that's my amateur, grammatically flawed analysis.
  • Viktoria 2012/07/03 19:21:21 (edited)
    Viktoria
    +1
    Yea so....shes a sexy face...plus she can kick your ass in viedo games...

just because your sore loser you come up with stupid reasons like ones appearnce :P
  • Geenie Nabottle 2012/06/30 06:21:39
    Geenie Nabottle
    +1
    Of course! Why not?
  • Ally C. 2012/06/30 02:28:03
    Ally C.
    +1
    She doesn't have to look. I mean, a gamer girl is a female who enjoys and consistently plays video games, right? It's like asking if someone looks like they like Math
  • Nisa PinkySwear(*~*) 2012/06/27 20:04:07
    Nisa PinkySwear(*~*)
    Why not? I didnt know gamers had a look to them. I clap at what she said. Im not a big gamer but when I have time I keep up with E3 and xplay.
  • iMuHungrYfATgUy 2012/06/25 00:16:13
    iMuHungrYfATgUy
    yea
  • Eden Andalus 2012/06/22 01:41:24
    Eden Andalus
    Wow that's great!
  • robbt1 2012/06/20 22:07:55
    robbt1
    +1
    I'm not doubting that she games, but I wouldn't look at a woman like Aisha Tyler and think "Wow! I bet she know gaming!"
  • keliffa 2012/06/20 14:46:04
    keliffa
    +3
    She looks like a black Angelina Jolie

angelina jolie
  • thareal... keliffa 2012/06/24 00:21:21
    tharealbigjc
    +1
    Agreed My Good Sir
  • Reuben Rennick 2012/06/19 18:52:42
    Reuben Rennick
    Oh my god, is that machine gun for real? god machine gun real
  • Sintwa 2012/06/19 18:29:59
  • JayRevo... Sintwa 2012/06/20 18:29:43
  • whateve... Sintwa 2012/06/24 08:15:12
    whateverbabynevermind
    She came to a conference and said she liked to game... She didn't duck face and scream "OH MY GOD I LOVE POKEMON AND HALO!!!!!" she was just responding when people said they don't believe that she plays video games.
  • BurrisTravis 2012/06/19 13:26:50
  • Latti Ice Ganga Gangsta of ... 2012/06/19 00:16:20
    Latti Ice Ganga Gangsta of PHAET
    +3
    She is a gamer a comic nerd as am I; Aisha is awesome and knows her stuff.

gamer comic nerd aisha awesome
  • pete.ar... Latti I... 2012/06/30 00:42:05
    pete.arballo
    +2
    sick art
  • Latti I... pete.ar... 2012/06/30 00:44:50
    Latti Ice Ganga Gangsta of PHAET
    +1
    Yup it is.
  • pete.ar... Latti I... 2012/06/30 00:54:47
    pete.arballo
    +2
    where did u find that at? DevianART?
  • Latti I... pete.ar... 2012/06/30 00:57:46
    Latti Ice Ganga Gangsta of PHAET
    +2
    I just looked up female gaming nerd in the search engine of Google and it popped up.
  • I am the Don Dada 2012/06/18 19:06:16
    I am the Don Dada
    +1
    As we used to say back in the day... Y'all betta recognize!!
  • Beatriz 2012/06/18 17:50:07
  • HendricksMathew 2012/06/18 13:00:03
  • SilveryRow 2012/06/18 11:31:52
    SilveryRow
    +1
    As I think we all know by now, gamers don\t have a uniform, or a look. Strange thing to doubt.
  • Tasha 2012/06/18 03:14:13
    Tasha
    +1
    I always saw her as a pretty cool chick. The kind of female that males like to hang out with.
  • Slightly Sophisticated 2012/06/17 20:57:37
    Slightly Sophisticated
    +1
    I had no idea there was a particular "gamer" look.
  • BattleBunnys 2012/06/17 18:31:34 (edited)
    BattleBunnys
    +5
    I can't play shooters but I can sure as hell play RPGs
    trophies
  • Noobcake BattleB... 2012/06/19 06:30:07
    Noobcake
    +2
    I don't know you, but I'm proud. Why is it that when female gamers, upon their existence being verified, are assumed to only play shooters and the like? I HATE (!) shooters - duckhunt excluded. RPGs are where it is at. RTSs are where it is sometimes otherwise located. Strategy-RPGs mark the spot.
  • BattleB... Noobcake 2012/06/19 15:33:11 (edited)
    BattleBunnys
    +2
    Thank you! ^_^
    And they assume because the "gamer girls" that like to pretend to be gamers so that they can get guys' attention, only play shooters (specifically Halo or CoD).
    What are your favorite RPGs? Mine is Dragon Age:Origins and Two Worlds II and I always play as a tank.
  • Noobcake BattleB... 2012/06/20 04:03:22
    Noobcake
    +1
    Oh god, I have so many favourites... It's so difficult! I feel like I'm being mean to all the other great RPGs for failing to recognise them in this significant way lol. Ok, based on the totally obsessive nature with which I played them, I give you: Dragon Age: Origins (but don't even talk to me about the second..... I don't even think about it. I like to think of DA1 as standing alone, brilliant, its name unbesmirched by its lesser kin), er, where was I? Ah. The other is Persona 3. I've never played Two Worlds II. I was put off playing the first game by others and, though I knew Two Worlds II to be good by reputation, I never got around to it!
  • BattleB... Noobcake 2012/06/20 06:24:01 (edited)
    BattleBunnys
    +1
    Oh my god, DA2 was simply a mess. I liked the change in combat system (but i preferred the skill trees from DA:O), the graphics change and the fact that our hero now has a voice. Everything else was total gar-baaaaaaaaage. Do you know that they aren't bringing back the Warden for DA3? I was listening to some interviews on what they're planning for DA3.... Good news: most of the *brilliant* ideas that they had incorporated in to DA2 are being thrown out the door and the plot will be more DA:O. It'll also take place in Orlais (Gaider hinted that we'll be more "French") The bad: no Warden :((((
    Two Worlds II is SOOOO much better than its predecessor. The alchemy and spell tabs are a bit difficult to understand at first, but once you get the hang of it, you get COMPLETE control over the intensity and characteristics of your spells and potions. Also, the graphics are simply BEAUTIFUL (the scenery is beautiful... the people look like Oblivion rejects)
    Example of Two Worlds II's beauty:
    simply beautiful scenery beautiful people oblivion rejects worlds iis beauty'
    simply beautiful scenery beautiful people oblivion rejects worlds iis beauty
  • David 2012/06/17 04:54:01 (edited)
    David
    +1
    She doesn't look like the stereotypical image of a nerd/gamer.

Anyone can be a gamer, especially with multi-player games being increasingly popular.
  • harasnicole 2012/06/17 03:49:51 (edited)
    harasnicole
    +3
    I didn't know a gamer has a specific "look."
  • pete.arballo 2012/06/17 03:40:41
    pete.arballo
    aisha tyler gamer

I play any game she wants that I know for sure!

aisha tyler gamer
  • The One 2012/06/17 00:35:47
    The One
    Who is this broad and who cares?
  • pete.ar... The One 2012/06/17 03:43:18
    pete.arballo
    +3
    She is a hella funny actress/comedian and she is Lana Kane on Archer and she is gonna be in the new Broken Lizard movie (Super Trooper fame). She was also in Balls of Fury, she is one bad ass sista from the Bay Area so you need to get up and take notice man. lana kane
  • The One pete.ar... 2012/06/17 04:59:27
    The One
    +1
    Will do!
  • GeminiWolf 2012/06/17 00:01:28
    GeminiWolf
    +2

I know what she means. I had an ex who got his panties in a twist when I beat him in a World at War COD match, but I've also known guys who thought it was awesome.

It's fun. Why WOULDN'T we enjoy it?

2014/09/18 13:53:39