Do you want to see Texas secede from the U.S.?

L.A. Times 2012/11/30 15:00:00
There may be secessionists in all 50 states, but Texas can boast of the biggest cohort of independent-minded (unhinged?) folks who want to cast off the "tyranny" of the federal government and go it alone.

Well over 100,000 Texans have signed a petition to the president of the United States requesting that he let the Lone Star State depart from the Union peacefully and amicably. The last time Texas and 10 other states tried this, of course, a rather nasty fight ensued –- the 150th anniversary of which the nation is observing right now.

texas

Read More: http://www.latimes.com/news/politics/topoftheticke...

• disclaimer 2012/11/30 19:10:48
    disclaimer
    +42
    Kick out Texas, replace it with Puerto Rico, everyone's happy and we don't have to change the flag.

• Patrick Henry~PWCM~JL 2014/04/27 03:38:43
    Patrick Henry~PWCM~JL
    Only idiots from the Left Coast would someone wanting to live free of the shackles of the USSA's government be labelled "unhinged." I guess they like the nanny state telling them when to poo, what to eat, how much and who will provide their medical malpractice... I can hardly wait to be free of KKKalifornication!!!
  • NearBlueHills 2013/07/20 18:50:20 (edited)
    NearBlueHills
    And other states too; I think people would be very content.
  • LizzieSparrow 2013/06/12 21:57:38
    LizzieSparrow
    HELL YES. Like, how soon can y'all go? The sooner the better...
  • marcus armijo 2013/01/30 19:44:10
    marcus armijo
    No we are a country. We stick together even if we don't agree.
  • Dave 007 2013/01/13 15:10:44
    Dave 007
    How many people who want to move to Texas if they depart from the Union?
  • B.O.Plenty 2012/12/19 00:37:35
    B.O.Plenty
    +1
    Thats the best ideal any texan ever had. Lets do it one bdetter and give them to mexico and apologize to them for tking Texas away from them. I think that the good citizens will appreciate the government of mexico. Its just what they need and while we are at it we bann them from ever setting foot on american soil again. I know a bunchof idiots signed a petition to pull oy too and they can go for the sAME ride we give texas . Any SOB that is not with this country all the way needs to be forced out. Any one that disagrees with me can go to hell.
  • macy 2012/12/16 06:58:34
    macy
    I live there. I love the weather and the food, but I hate the politics. If the people here had full control of their own government, I would be living in fascist, republican hell. I'm an independent but the senators and that Rick Perry guy are some of the most extreme people I've heard of, and I wouldn't feel safe with them running my country.
  • Ken123 macy 2013/08/17 16:02:57
    Ken123
    Does this mean your happy with Obama running your country?
  • Hu Chardon 2012/12/15 14:04:25
    Hu Chardon
    It's certainly time for change. Watching Texas continue to flourish as America drowns in over regulation.taxation and debt would teach a valuable lesson to all current and future politicians in Washington as well as over 60,000,000 foolish voters.

Just imagine how happy conservatives and liberals (becoming leftists) would be if several states seceded. There would then be an ability to live in place that was aligned with your values.

The Red states would return to fiscal responsibility and resemble the America we grew up in and the Blue states will evolve into Europe.

It just might be the start of someting big!
  • B.O.Plenty Hu Chardon 2012/12/19 00:42:04
    B.O.Plenty
    Youre just aout a crazy as Rick Perry I yothinkTexa is so great why don't yogo livewith he radcal r awhileten cme bacand tell us about it. I live there for three years and i could not get out fast enough.
  • APLWONK 2012/12/12 04:16:14
    APLWONK
    Yes, good riddance!
  • bt sedlock 2012/12/11 16:43:37
    bt sedlock
    +1
    Absolutely not! How absurd and stupid people could these people be!? That would be treason!
  • sebasti... bt sedlock 2012/12/13 02:32:18
    sebastian223pl
    LOL treason? No it's a constitutional right.
  • bt sedlock sebasti... 2012/12/14 17:24:31
    bt sedlock
    How is it a constitutional right?
  • Colleen bt sedlock 2012/12/13 07:29:29
    Colleen
    +1
    Texas has it right....treason is what is being pulled on the USA....Texas would be free from the treasonist.
  • bt sedlock Colleen 2012/12/14 17:25:41
    bt sedlock
    What treasonists? the people in Washington D.C.?
  • anne.k.murphy 2012/12/10 03:37:07
    anne.k.murphy
    And good riddance too!
  • TheBigO 2012/12/09 16:40:15
    TheBigO
    Yes, I'd like to see Texas secede. Being that Texas votes Republican most of the time and it carries a ton of Electoral votes, it'll be a lot easier for Democrats to hold the White House and Congress with Texas out of the picture. If they want to go, let their people go!
  • Annie~P... TheBigO 2012/12/14 07:01:21
    Annie~Pro American~Pro Israel
    Texas also is one of the states that brings in the most tax money for big government.
  • Erok 2012/12/08 07:49:51
    Erok
    +1
    I'm in!!!!
  • johnpaul 2012/12/08 01:06:53
    johnpaul
    If they want to, there should be no reason not to.
  • matt 2012/12/07 12:58:51
    matt
    I'm the first one to want all of those gun toting nutjobs gone but we have one big problem Texas V. White the Supreme Court ruling that states it is unconstitutional for a state or territory or province to secede from the Union this ruling has yet to be overturned.
  • Annie~P... matt 2012/12/14 07:02:16
    Annie~Pro American~Pro Israel
    Yeah well how many rules have Obama and Holder broken?
  • matt Annie~P... 2012/12/27 10:08:47 (edited)
    matt
    Actually if you you look at the original founding documents you will find that Obama's administration has followed that same spirit, however congress has had 222 years to amend those documents and he has only bent one fairly recent amendment to the constitution and that's when he supported the rebels in Libya.
    If Barack Obama abused his authority and broken the constitution the house could call for impeachment hearings.
    Couple of interesting side notes the thirteen states that all signed the peace treaty with likely because The Articles of Confederation established the colonies as seperate sovereign states held together by a common currency for defense and a weak congress; the other side not Texas is one of only two state state's in the Union that has ever functioned as an independent nation (despite this they were voluntarily annexed by the U.S. rather than be militarily annexed by Mexico.)
  • Ken123 matt 2013/08/18 15:46:58
    Ken123
    It's not the geographic boundries that makes Texas different, it's the people the rugged individuals that believe in self assurance and individual responsibility. PROGRESSIVENESS DIED AT BIRTH. We Texans accept rattle snakes as a reality and deal with them accordingly. Personally, we don't give a fats rat's ass how you do it up North, it don't work down here. We like our freedom not to join a union and live in a Right-to-work state. We also like our Part Time Legislation over which we can have influence at home. In our mind the Federal Government is out of control and has overstepped its Constitutional authority, we have a President issuing EXECUTIVE orders which overreach the powers granted him by the Constitution and it's the states responsibility to reign him in if Congress refuses to do so. As for the Supreme Court, they are gutless wonders and are violating the very same Constitution they are sworn to uphold.
  • Skar 2012/12/07 06:14:56
    Skar
    +1
    If that is what the people of Texas want.
  • paulhgnbthm 2012/12/07 04:14:39
    paulhgnbthm
    +1
    I very much want texas to seceed from the dis-union of un-united states. Bush and rove, did their damndest to turn america into greece. A corrupt political elite stealing the working mans wages, and pensions, for ceo idiocy. Not just the hated ones like ponzi schemers, but real live people that shift their peoples jobs to china, then run for president. Texas and California. If New Yawk then followed suite, I might want my state to stay in. Liberty, equailty fraternity, something the bushies hate.
  • martin28 2012/12/06 22:41:28
    martin28
    +2
    I've never been to Texas but I was born and raised in a union 50 states equalling the United States I would prefer to see it remain that way.
  • WankerBait 2012/12/06 22:01:10
    WankerBait
    +1
    But I'd love to see the ass-holes supporting secession leave the USA...
  • Lana 2012/12/06 21:55:12
    Lana
    Oh Please God, let them go ! Who needs or likes ? What have they ever done to help the USA ? Nothing except kil JFK in Dallas. I have always hated them ! Where do they plan on going ?
    We could then give the place back to the rightful owners. They then could live in Mexico and just rot away ! Never met anyone from Texas that I liked. They sure are ass's ! Let them go, please
  • WayneMc... Lana 2012/12/09 19:16:24
    WayneMcLain
    +1
    Lana, If you want to give Texas back to Mexico, then I would think you would also want to give the rest of the U.S. back to the original owners, all the Indian Tribes? Which are my Ancestors, take a look at history! Look at the plight of the Lakota Sioux who are living in extreme poverty as a result of standing up to your Government, do you know what happend to Chief Big Foot and his People @ Wounded knee under a flag of truce? I wish you and all the rest who want to sound off about the people of Texas who along with others want freedom from taxation, forced big Government, forced Obama care for majority of the Country who do not want it. I wish all of you who want get on this board & call good people all kinds of names would just take a moment to think what you are doing, helping this administration to divide this heat Nation, this is the first stategy of communism to divide the populous and next is in the words of Josef Lenin to control the people is to take over their health and medical provisions, look and you will see that tis is the strategy of communism.
  • daver WayneMc... 2012/12/11 21:04:56
    daver
    So health care is a privilege not a right? And only those who can afford it , deserve it?
    The corporatists have already taken over our health care system. The Great American Healthcare Ripoff has increased healthcare costs at a rate faster than that of the cost of living and of wage growth in this country for the past 3 decades. That's before Obama care. So what would you do without Obama care when you finally could no longer afford it yourself ? Answer: Start whining about how the government has done nothing to help you keep it. You'd be the first one whining FOR Obama care.
  • Colleen daver 2012/12/13 06:51:19
    Colleen
    +1
    Obamacare has left out seniors...they will be encouraged to die...they will no longer be able to contribute to the ruling class...they are just useless eaters that are no long welcome on planet earth.
  • daver Colleen 2012/12/14 10:59:42
    daver
    You are confused. Medicare covers seniors . Not Obamacare. Obamacare covers the non-seniors who can't afford insurance or who have been kicked out because of chronic conditions or pre-existing conditions. The crooked insurance companies you see only want to insure healthy people who don't have many health costs. As it is now, and without Obamacare, The day would come when your employer could no longer afford to pay for your health insurance because of the rising costs, and you couldn't afford it on your own. Which is the Republican plan. So maybe the moron middle class republicans ought to thank Obama instead of slamming him all the time. Especially if you develop a medical condition that insurance companies don't want to cover today but will have to tomorrow under Obamacare.
  • WayneMc... daver 2012/12/21 01:36:07
    WayneMcLain
    Medicare will be broke! As long as Obama keeps stealing from it to pay for obamacare, which will only set up death panels which is already, my friend who is 70 yrs. old who has 60 percent blockage but is not allowed to receive help until he has 90 percent blockage. If you don't believe it then just check it out.
  • daver WayneMc... 2014/02/10 17:40:57
    daver
    Obama care doesn't take effect till Jan. at the earliest. Your friend is on the same plan we've had for the past 50 yrs. The status quo which is the republicans great healthcare plan. Which WILL be broke in a few years if we keep it.
  • Ken123 daver 2013/08/17 16:35:44
    Ken123
    Boy are you a numbskull. Who do you think wrote Obama's law? THE Lobbyist of the insurance and pharmaceutical industries, that's who. You will become a slave to them as they participate in the revenues of the taxpayers. Remember, Obama pulled Six hundred billion from Medicare to set-up Obama Care, That's six hundred billion paid in from seniors Social Security accounts.
  • daver Ken123 2014/02/10 19:28:39
    daver
    You are the numbskull. Obama's plan is to spread the risk by requiring all people to have insurance. The bigger pool of funds especially from the young more healthy deadbeats who don't buy it now, will make it possible for insurance companies to lower rates by spreading the risks out among more people, many of whom are young and healthy and won't tax the system as much,. and for the few young and healthy that do get seriously ill or have a costly accident and can't pay for it, they will now be insured and not leave the caregivers with a loss, which up to now has been paid for by all the rest of us in higher medical care costs. (Health care providers must treat everyone who comes to an emergency room, even the uninsured who can't pay for it). THE INSURANCE COMPANIES DID NOT WRITE THE ACA. (AFFORDABLE CARE ACT). Insurance companies can"t write legislation but do try to influence congress with lobbying, and bribery, and seem to have the most luck with Republicans which is why Republicans oppose the ACA. But for the democrats to get the few needed republican votes to pass the ACA, they did have to compromise a bit with some of the less extremist right. (too much in my book). But as watered down as it came out, the insurance companies can still be kicked out of the health ca...
    You are the numbskull. Obama's plan is to spread the risk by requiring all people to have insurance. The bigger pool of funds especially from the young more healthy deadbeats who don't buy it now, will make it possible for insurance companies to lower rates by spreading the risks out among more people, many of whom are young and healthy and won't tax the system as much,. and for the few young and healthy that do get seriously ill or have a costly accident and can't pay for it, they will now be insured and not leave the caregivers with a loss, which up to now has been paid for by all the rest of us in higher medical care costs. (Health care providers must treat everyone who comes to an emergency room, even the uninsured who can't pay for it). THE INSURANCE COMPANIES DID NOT WRITE THE ACA. (AFFORDABLE CARE ACT). Insurance companies can"t write legislation but do try to influence congress with lobbying, and bribery, and seem to have the most luck with Republicans which is why Republicans oppose the ACA. But for the democrats to get the few needed republican votes to pass the ACA, they did have to compromise a bit with some of the less extremist right. (too much in my book). But as watered down as it came out, the insurance companies can still be kicked out of the health care exchanges if they try to charge too high of rates or refuse coverage. But they won't because they would lose millions of customers and billions of dollars outside of the exchange. The ACA will also cut out (not pay for) medical procedures that we use now that Medicare and private insurance companies now pay for.. that don't work or are not effective... saving us more from the waste in our current system that the insurance companies now just charge you for in higher premiums, and that Medicare pays for at the expense of taxpayers. This is the 600 billion that the republicans have snowed you into thinking is a cut in Medicare services when it is actually a waste of money spent on the rich medical establishment and insurance companies that Obama care is putting the clamps on. And saving it for the more effective treatments required under Obama care.
  • Annie~P... daver 2012/12/14 07:04:46
    Annie~Pro American~Pro Israel
    Hope you like Obamascam HC.
  • daver Annie~P... 2012/12/14 10:39:52 (edited)
    daver
    It'll be cheaper than what I pay now and a lot more cheap than what I would have to pay in the future the way things are going without Obama care. The only people who don't want Obama care are those who don't know anything about it. They listen to the fear mongerers (Republicans) for their information. Who want healthcare costs to keep going up to make the insurance companies richer yet. Till no one can afford it . Except the top 1%. Oh that's right you and 32 million other republicans all think you are going to be in the top 1% someday. Ha Ha. And that window is narrowing too. Soon it will all be going to the top 1/4 %

2014/07/22 21:34:47