Do you think the Chinese Olympic gold medal swimmer Ye Shiwen is a drugs cheat?

Wayne TH G 333 2012/08/01 02:31:01
I think she could be guilty
I think she is innocent
I'm sure none of us know for sure but do you suspect she is guily or not?
No undecided option available because no one can be certain anyway.

John Leonard, the executive director of the World Swimming Coaches Association, yesterday compared Ye’s winning performance in the women’s 400m individual medley to Irish swimmer Michelle Smith, who won gold Olympics: 16-year-old Ye Shiwen's swim 'impossible’, says coach John Leonard

One of the world’s most senior swimming coaches has raised serious doubts about the validity of the “unbelievable” performance of Ye Shiwen, the 16-year-old Chinese swimmer.
John Leonard, the executive director of the World Swimming Coaches Association, yesterday compared Ye’s winning performance in the women’s 400m individual medley to Irish swimmer Michelle Smith, who won gold in the same event at the 1996 Atlanta Olympics but was banned from swimming for four years in 1998 for tampering with a urine sample. Smith, now De Bruin, always denied using performance enhancing drugs.

Ye sent shock waves through her sport on Saturday when she set the first swimming world record of these Olympics, and in doing so swam the final 50m freestyle faster than American swimmer Ryan Lochte managed in his final leg when he won the same race in the men’s event.

“We want to be very careful about calling it doping,” Leonard said.

“The one thing I will say is that history in our sport will tell you that every time we see something, and I will put quotation marks around this, 'unbelievable’, history shows us that it turns out later on there was doping involved. That last 100m was reminiscent of some old East German swimmers, for people who have been around a while. It was reminiscent of 400m individual medley by a young Irish woman in Atlanta.

“Any time someone has looked like superwoman in the history of our sport they have later been found guilty of doping”. Ye was more than seven seconds faster in the 400m individual medley than she had been in the equivalent race of the World Championships last year. While Leonard accepted that such improvement was feasible, he described the final 100m as “impossible”. He added: “To swim three other splits at the rate that she did, which was quite ordinary for elite competition, and then unleash a historic anomaly, it is just not right. I have heard commentators saying 'well she is 16, and at that age amazing things happen’. Well yes, but not that amazing, I am sorry.”

• Jack 2012/08/04 22:42:14
    I think she could be guilty
    Jack
    +1
    Definitely guilty! The Chinese are notorious for drugging athletes, especially the women. If she passed a drugs test, that just means that the cheats are one step ahead of the testers - just like they were in the 80s when Flo-Jo won her medals.
  • Wayne T... Jack 2012/08/04 22:47:24
    Wayne TH G 333
    +1
    The 15 year old girl swam the last 100 faster than Ryan Lochte (the mens gold medalist). I'm not sure how that could be possible without cheating!
  • Jack Wayne T... 2012/08/04 22:49:54
    Jack
    +1
    I know, what a joke! He beats Phelps, the man who is supposedly the 'Greatest Ever Olympian', but he still can't swim as fast as a schoolgirl! I think the Yanks use the term 'reality check'!
  • Nikki 2012/08/01 13:55:59
    I think she is innocent
    Nikki
    +1
    they said she was clean.........
  • Unintended 2012/08/01 08:56:42
    I think she is innocent
    Unintended
    +1
    Her drugs test came back clean.
  • Stryder 2012/08/01 05:55:49
    I think she could be guilty
    Stryder
    +1
    The commies cheat to win? The hell you say!
  • Raphy 2012/08/01 05:05:03
    I think she is innocent
    Raphy
    +1
    Maybe see is unique like Micheal Phelps. Just that dang good at swimming
  • darwolf 2012/08/01 04:43:09
    I think she is innocent
    darwolf
    +1
    This John Leonard sounds jealous. Ye has passed every drug test.
  • Dee 2012/08/01 03:14:53
    I think she is innocent
    Dee
    +1
    Shiwen knew if she didn't take the gold her family would be kicked out of the one bedroom apartment into a one room apartment.
  • Dan 2012/08/01 02:51:11 (edited)
    I think she could be guilty
    Dan
    +2
    Given the history of the red Chinese government and their desire to prove themselves better than any imperial capitolist nation at any cost, I would not rule out performance enhancement drugs. Go back to the armistice talks at the end of the Korean war and you'll see many examples of the Chinese trying to exploit the talks to paint a picture of US surrender for their citizens. There are many more examples through out history as well. However if she did earn it honestly, my hats off to her, it's a great accomplishment.
  • ParkMan 2012/08/01 02:50:23
    I think she could be guilty
    ParkMan
    +2
    I'm not sure she's guilty, but I think there is a decent chance there is some shady going on here. You don't practice for years at the Olympic level only to get to the competition and then suddenly beat your personal best by 5 seconds.
  • Aly Hart 2012/08/01 02:38:36
    I think she is innocent
    Aly Hart
    +1
    If it were a dude there probably would be no questions or controversy.

2014/10/24 20:35:24