Do you think that Professional athletes who gamble or use steroids should be banned or lose everything they worked their whole careers for?

Tpem 2009/02/15 09:29:19
Athletes should not lose their careers or legacy for gambling or using steroids
They should have their whole careers erased
They should be banned from the Hall of Fame and fined and or suspended for a short period
MLB should have a no tolerance policy and offendors should be banned
I think
I was in a sports grill tonight and noticed a piece of art that resembles a basball card that listed the alltime hit leaders in MLB. The one listed at number one was Ty Cobb. I said wait a minute. Pete Rose is the all time hit leader not Ty Cobb. It dawned on me that those who disaprove of his gambling on baseball decided to re-write history and I wonder how many of the old timers like Ty Cobb who was a well known racist would have faired in today's media spotlight and scutiny.

• your mom 2009/03/31 16:54:49
    your mom
    +1
    athletes should be allowed in thr hall of fame
  • Allen 2009/02/16 21:18:37
    Allen
    +1
    Get that garbage out of here.

Winning is not a sometime thing; it's an all the time thing. You don't win once in a while; you don't do things right once in a while; you do them right all the time. Winning is a habit. Unfortunately, so is losing.

There is no room for second place. There is only one place in my game, and that's first place. I have finished second twice in my time at Green Bay, and I don't ever want to finish second again. There is a second place bowl game, but it is a game for losers played by losers. It is and always has been an American zeal to be first in anything we do, and to win, and to win, and to win.

Every time a football player goes to play his trade he's got to play from the ground up-from the soles of his feet right up to his head. Every inch of him has to play. Some guys play with their heads. That's O.K. You've got to be smart to be number one in any business. But more importantly, you've got to play with your heart, with every fiber of your body. If you're lucky enough to find a guy with a lot of head and a lot of heart, he's never going to come off the field second.

Running a football team is no different than running any other kind of organization-an army, a political party or a business. The principles are the same. The object is to win-to beat the o...'

'

''

'""'

Get that garbage out of here.

Running a football team is no different than running any other kind of organization-an army, a political party or a business. The principles are the same. The object is to win-to beat the other guy. Maybe that sounds hard or cruel. I don't think it is.

It is a reality of life that men are competitive and the most competitive games draw the most competitive men. That's why they are there-to compete. To know the rules and objectives when they get in the game. The object is to win FAIRLY, SQUARELY, by the rules-but to win.

And in truth, I've never known a man worth his salt who in the long run, deep down in his heart, didn't appreciate the grind, the discipline. There is something in good men that really yearns for discipline and the harsh reality of head to head combat.

I don't say these things because I believe in the "brute" nature of man or that men must be brutalized to be combative. I believe in God, and I believe in human decency. But I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious.

...Vince Lombardi
  • skunkman 2009/02/15 18:51:29
    skunkman
    +1
    to cheat to win or use steriods to break records should be banned forever. Bonds is one example. Rose is another. what kind of message is being sent to the youth of our country? I say BANNED THEM ALL AND REMOVE THEM FROM THEIR RESPECTIVE SPORTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Tpem skunkman 2009/02/15 19:45:23 (edited)
    Tpem
    +1
    I guess I look at it like this. I grew up wanting to be a big league baseball player. I watched as Pete Rose became the alltime hits leader. Charlie Hustle. He was one of the best players in the game and as a kid I saw that and admired it and wanted to be a player like that. Back then there were no steroid issues and you rarely knew what these guys were like off the ballfield because there were no media sources trying to destroy them the way they do now. I think about Bonds, McGuire, Sosa, Palmiero, A-Rod etc who have been demonized for using steroids. I played baseball from little league until I was 24 years old and one thing I know is that hitting a baseball when it is being thrown at you at 90 miles an hour is not an easy thing to do and steroids have nothing to do with making it any easier. Before you can hit the ball out of the park you have to be able to hit the ball period. Steroids changes the game however when an already good hitter using steroids gets an advantage that changes the outcome of the game. If Barry Bonds hits a ball while not on steroids its a fly ball but if he is on steroids its a homerun. That changes the outcome of the game and so I don't think steroids should be used but it does not change the fact that that player still must be able to hit the ball....

I guess I look at it like this. I grew up wanting to be a big league baseball player. I watched as Pete Rose became the alltime hits leader. Charlie Hustle. He was one of the best players in the game and as a kid I saw that and admired it and wanted to be a player like that. Back then there were no steroid issues and you rarely knew what these guys were like off the ballfield because there were no media sources trying to destroy them the way they do now. I think about Bonds, McGuire, Sosa, Palmiero, A-Rod etc who have been demonized for using steroids. I played baseball from little league until I was 24 years old and one thing I know is that hitting a baseball when it is being thrown at you at 90 miles an hour is not an easy thing to do and steroids have nothing to do with making it any easier. Before you can hit the ball out of the park you have to be able to hit the ball period. Steroids changes the game however when an already good hitter using steroids gets an advantage that changes the outcome of the game. If Barry Bonds hits a ball while not on steroids its a fly ball but if he is on steroids its a homerun. That changes the outcome of the game and so I don't think steroids should be used but it does not change the fact that that player still must be able to hit the ball. If we are going to take away the careers of some of the greatest athletes in the world for this kind of thing when are we going to demand equal treatment for the politicians? The tax cheats who get rewarded with cabinet posts for cheating. It is a farce to me to see politicians holding hearings on MLB when they are the most corrupt body in the world not to mention we have real problems to deal with.

• skunkman Tpem 2009/02/15 20:00:15
    skunkman
    +1
    I am not only after baseball. All sports in general. I agree with you on the polictians. We award cheats and bad behavor than good behavor.
  • Gman skunkman 2010/01/20 03:38:38
    Gman
    +4
    I agree with Tpem-Go. The fact that they need to able to do anything in any sport before steroids can be a factor is huge. The players who use them (and this is where I agree with you) are getting a chance to be put into the hall of fame for their sport and that is wrong. In baseball Ken Griffey Jr. of the Seattle Mariners does not take steroids and his path towards getting into the hall could be blocked by Barry Bonds. Ichiro as well. Bret Farve has never taken steriods and he could be rejected for some body that did. I say ban them and fine them and remove the chance they have of getting into the hall but don't completly ruin thier careers
  • zyledr 2009/02/15 11:48:02
    zyledr
    +1
    Still thinking about it although it would be one hell of a deterrent.

2014/09/01 08:15:17