Do you support routine AIDS testing for all young Americans?

L.A. Times 2012/11/27 22:54:00
More than a quarter of new HIV infections in the U.S. occur among people ages 13 to 24, according to a new report released Tuesday by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. What's more, about 60 percent of those young people with HIV don't know they have the virus.

hiv

Read More: http://www.latimes.com/health/boostershots/la-heb-...

• scbluesman13 2012/11/28 00:16:17
    Overly cautious
    scbluesman13
    +26
    Bad answer choices.
    I support routine education and outreach to youngsters and young adults about getting tested if they are sexually active, and about safe sex practices. But I am NOT in favor of any kind of state or federal mandatory testing program.

• ms jones 2012/12/10 02:36:21
    Overly cautious
    ms jones
    +1
    It shouldn't be mandated,
  • shadow76 2012/12/03 15:55:53
    Overly cautious
    shadow76
    That is what your liberal sex education got us,now you want mandate more things for them? I am against that!
  • Silverl... shadow76 2012/12/05 15:19:06
    Silverlocust
    +3
    Some of the countries with the lowest rates of infection (Norway, Sweden, Germany, Australia) have liberal sex education regimes. Education about the dangers is one of the most effective ways to control the rate of infection.
    A major reason why the US suffers one of the highest rates in the developed world is that Ronald Reagan refused to face it as a problem for almost a decade.
    Proper education is an answer, not a cause.
  • shadow76 Silverl... 2012/12/10 09:47:37
    shadow76
    I guess Clinton letting all those infected foriegnors in the USA had nothing to do with it!
  • Silverl... shadow76 2012/12/10 13:54:04
    Silverlocust
    +2
    Clinton wasn't the President of Uganda, South Africa, Haiti. Yet those countries and many others had high rates of contraction of the disease. The AIDS virus spread throughout the world before anyone really knew what it was. But once medical authorities recognized the problem, the government should have acted straight away but just averted their eyes. Shame on them.
  • shadow76 Silverl... 2012/12/10 15:10:56
    shadow76
    Clinton was letting diseased people into this country, he didn't care he just wanted Democrat voters. Before him during Reagan, you are right they did not know. Anyway what could the Govt do? Curing disease is not their job!
  • Silverl... shadow76 2012/12/11 01:02:11
    Silverlocust
    +2
    The government could do exactly what governments have done very effectively in other countries. It is a government's job to protect it's people from tragedies that involve massive death tolls.
    Or would you rather the government did not involve themselves in peoples lives in the aftermath of hurricanes, forest fires and tornadoes?
  • shadow76 Silverl... 2012/12/12 08:50:01
    shadow76
    Private relief organzations always do a better job, Protecting the people from enemies and maintaining the rule of law is the job of Govt. Sure helping with Sandy victims they can do. That has nothing to do with screwballs going to foriegn countries and bringing a deadly disease back with them! I blame the ones who brought here!
  • Silverl... shadow76 2012/12/12 14:38:20
    Silverlocust
    +1
    Irrespective of who is to blame (personally, I blame the African apes from where the virus originated), it is a government's job to set up education programs in schools and other community centers, to advertise the dangers and precautions on tv and radio, to provide free condoms, to set up rapid-result clinics where people receive the results of tests on the same day, to supply anti retroviral drugs to help prevent further infection
    All these responses have been proved to save hundreds of thousands of lives in countries around the world.
    But since private organizations receive no financial gain from these actions, and therefore are not interested, it's up to the government to provide them.

As you say, the job of government is protecting the people from enemies, and since AIDS has killed well over half a million people in the US, it must be considered as one of the country's most lethal and unrelenting enemies.
  • Mtg303 Silverl... 2012/12/28 01:20:02
    Mtg303
    However Dr. Robert Gallo admitted in an interview posted on youtube that while developing vaccines through monkeys he imported into the US that he isolated the virus. Of course this was after those same vaccines were administered to thousands in African countries and men in the US.
    http://www.apfn.org/apfn/aids...
  • shadow76 Silverl... 2012/12/28 15:12:54
    shadow76
    +1
    Stupid idiots who do stupid things in foriegn countries are our enemies too!
  • Bumpicuss shadow76 2012/12/25 16:30:37
    Bumpicuss
    +1
    Yeah, just like privatized prisons? Privatizing the public trust is a violation of that trust.
  • Mtg303 Silverl... 2012/12/28 01:04:29 (edited)
    Mtg303
    True but someone knew what it was before it was spread through vaccinations in African countries and lets not forget the American men infected with the disease also while getting hepatitus vaccines. Aids was created in small animals before being unleashed on the world.
    http://www.whale.to/vaccine/c...
  • lucky 2012/12/03 14:40:22
    Overly cautious
    lucky
    No the majority of those under 24 are not infected with AIDS so why put them through testing that they dont need and may not be able to afford and we the people sure cant afford to pay for it.

Education about high risk behavior and your physician emphasizing the importance of getting tested if you indulge in high risk behavior is a better solution, also encouraging young people to be honest about their behavior is key.
  • Commander Pyle 2012/12/03 07:08:37
    Overly cautious
    Commander Pyle
    +1
    Might as well give a homosexual test to all the kids while youre at it.
  • kateisgod 2012/12/02 22:34:36
    Good idea
    kateisgod
    +1
    Surely. It's a good practice since the 80's.
  • tricia.perilloux 2012/12/02 20:00:07
    Good idea
    tricia.perilloux
    +1
    best way to treat early for healthier longevity, contain and not spread is to know your status. I believe it should be a routine part of every annual physical or initial MD visit.
  • seadog6608PWCM 2012/12/02 16:53:06
  • bye 2012/12/02 16:38:32
    Overly cautious
    bye
    k boys and girls. I worked in small business and big business. Here is the deal! Many people don't get insurance till they hit 40 hours period. So people like Walmart and others trying to save money (how they stay in business) do that when you are a good employee and advance then you will get it. Problem is many small businessess can't even afford health insurance! I mean how many small guys have a guy or gal at a cash register at minimum wage and can't barely make that.
    Obama care will in essence nationalize insurance. How easy when you get your insurance statement it says that your part of insurance taken out of your check in the year is say 1000 or 2000 dollars. Most unions get these statements but it's the same for say Walmart even if you don't get the statement. Ok then your employer pays say 10,000 or 15,000 or what have you got it...Ok now suddenly all employees must have insurance every person in the USA period! So first of all what incentive does Walmart have cause YOU my friend must pay :( Oh gee I guess you missed that. Well anyway. A time back the Auto Unions took on their insurance totally from the Auto Companies...gee guess they knew what was happening..anyway remember the 10-15 thousand the company pays..hmmm oh say 1000 employees? Do the math it's millions! now...

Obama care will in essence nationalize insurance. How easy when you get your insurance statement it says that your part of insurance taken out of your check in the year is say 1000 or 2000 dollars. Most unions get these statements but it's the same for say Walmart even if you don't get the statement. Ok then your employer pays say 10,000 or 15,000 or what have you got it...Ok now suddenly all employees must have insurance every person in the USA period! So first of all what incentive does Walmart have cause YOU my friend must pay :( Oh gee I guess you missed that. Well anyway. A time back the Auto Unions took on their insurance totally from the Auto Companies...gee guess they knew what was happening..anyway remember the 10-15 thousand the company pays..hmmm oh say 1000 employees? Do the math it's millions! now lets see we can pay the 2000.oo Fine and well OMG we can save MULTI MILLION! gee now it's simply pay 2000 dollars for say your 1000 employess and well OMG we save 8-13000.00 per year per employee..it will be a major dump on the new Obama care!!!! What a great deal for the big Unions...on and the Big Businesses...WOW fantastic..Little guys who have no insurance even for them selves tuff they are screwed..but the Admnistration does not care about small business and the rest of us must pay into the stupid plan its the law!!!! All must pay.
    So Walmart knows it's coming and well is getting ready.
    Gee suddeny all those big groups will start to vanish! I mean Blue Cross Blue shield won't have all these groups and of course they have to insure people who are really really sick and have cancer and all so that's a totlal lose for them of 100,000 thousand or more a patient per year or much more (look it up besides I had cancer patients in my family and saw those bills fact)
    In the end the big boys insurance will go through the roof they will get into something else or be way scaled down. Obamacare will become slowly national health care since the big guys can't compete anymore with the stupid rates of Obamacare which will make anything that Social Security or Medicare do as far are running in the red look like small change. They will set what doctors make, they will set what hospitals make, you won't be able to see your own doctor, lines will be insane, they will decide who gets the cancer treatments or when (death panels but not called that you'll just be delayed to long and darn it's to late now) It will go on and on and that will break the USA add that with everything elses these liberal save the world types keep coming up with and of course the things we already have. Don'ts won't want to be doctors, as it is they all keep getting herded into big practices and hospital's because it's to expensive to open a practice of their own. And when the Government sets what they get paid, well it will begin to chip away at that...and well why be a doctor..Oh yeah we will pay free medical school! Hey why not before the next election give free tuition buy all those votes to!
    Ick...So don't get mad at Walmart get mad at Obamacare NOW cause it's going to drive you insane, tax you, and make YOU WAIT and maybe even kill you....to hell with getting mad at Walmart for doing what they know must be done..You wait...anyone who knows about this stuff knows.
  • andy15554 2012/12/02 14:35:26
    Overly cautious
    andy15554
    don't screw everything that comes along and you have nothing to worry about.
  • Mantic andy15554 2012/12/02 16:26:30 (edited)
    Mantic
    Wrong.

Wish it were that simple. Too many people are devious and untrustworthy, though. People you may think you know.
  • andy15554 Mantic 2012/12/02 18:06:00
    andy15554
    Nope you're wrong, don't be a slut or you can require anyone you want to Fuk to get a test. The movement has no business making anyone have any test just so you can have carefree sex whenever you want.
  • Mantic andy15554 2012/12/03 23:39:41
    Mantic
    So it's your fault if you trust your spouse who says they are faithful, but they aren't?
  • andy15554 Mantic 2012/12/04 02:00:24
    andy15554
    that's not our problem, the whole world doesn't need to have a test because some guy cheats on his wife, tragic yes, but that guy would still lie about getting a positive on a test, nothing solved.
  • Dave 007 2012/12/02 12:34:02
    Overly cautious
    Dave 007
    A good idea....but who's going to pay for this? Aren't we taxed enough?
  • Mantic Dave 007 2012/12/02 16:25:59 (edited)
    Mantic
    I'd rather we be paying for this than some politician's private airport. It would also surprise me if there aren't many many hospitals that would waive fees for this kind of thing, because it would give them such useful information toward containing the disease.
  • Ladybythesea 2012/12/02 03:58:42
    Overly cautious
    Ladybythesea
    +2
    There should be a tab for " HELL NO " As I read lots of these comments, it really never cess to amaze me how trusting everyone is when it comes to the government. Bet all of you get that "NEW" flu shot every year too. I gotta ask, do you really know what your getting ? Really.....Really. Now your gonna trust your kids with a government vaccine for HIV ? All I can say is WOW !!!
  • Mantic Ladybyt... 2012/12/02 16:32:48 (edited)
    Mantic
    +1
    Who said anything about a vaccine?

I'm not keen on mandatory vaccination (although a person should be responsible for their actions). But mandatory testing (and disclosure!) for a deadly sexually communicable disease that sneaky scumbags take home to their trusting wives? No hesitation.
  • Ladybyt... Mantic 2012/12/07 03:51:33
    Ladybythesea
    Ok , how about this, we tattoo them with 666 , would that be ok with you. Ever person is
    responsible for there OWN health and safety . It is the responsible of the parents to teach their Childern about the dangers of unprotected sex. Sounds like you have little compassion for anyone. One word for you buddy, condom.
  • Mantic Ladybyt... 2012/12/07 22:14:59
    Mantic
    +1
    First, that's not entirely reliable.

Second, married couples have to use condoms?

My problem is that I have too much compassion for people who are victimized, both by those individuals who behave badly and put others at risk for no better reason than their own sexual satisfaction and by a culture that downplays the risks of promiscuous behavior. The less I care, the less I care.

I hate that some people are such scum that it is really necessary to mistrust everyone, but don't lie and claim you do any different. Tell me that when there's some middle-aged guy sitting on a park bench and you decide not to let your kids play there that day. Knowing the dangers of this world, it is only sensible to act accordingly and take precautions in the interest of public safety.
  • CAPISCE 2012/12/02 01:43:16
    Good idea
    CAPISCE
    +1
    They should have to wear a Scarlett letter tattoo on there ass so anyone who may have sex with them would know
  • Silverl... CAPISCE 2012/12/02 15:47:05
    Silverlocust
    +2
    Yes, but we don't all enter by the back door Capisce, so we might not see it.
  • CAPISCE Silverl... 2012/12/02 15:49:54
    CAPISCE
    +1
    lol---good point
  • Delicious Crab Meat 2012/12/02 00:11:06
    Good idea
    Delicious Crab Meat
    +3
    But it shouldn't be mandatory. I'm sickened by how many people on this poll think people who get AIDS deserve it.
  • CAPISCE Delicio... 2012/12/02 15:51:42
    CAPISCE
    Not deserve it but I believe if people act with responsibily 99% of all Aides cases would be avoided
  • Mantic CAPISCE 2012/12/02 16:46:24 (edited)
    Mantic
    +1
    Not really.

I mean, sure, if you track back along the disease vectors you always get to the reckless scumbag. One gay guy (Gaƫtan Dugas) traveling across the country and visiting bath houses set off the original GRIDS epidemic in North America, after all.

But it has a way of spreading out to exponentially more hapless victims. With women at very high risk having heterosexual intercourse, I'm sure there are many like my sister, who was faithful to her husband and died horribly as a consequence of his unfaithfulness.
  • Sarah Alexander 2012/12/01 21:03:52
    Good idea
    Sarah Alexander
    +4
    Nothing mandated, but it should be recommended highly in the same way yearly check-ups are recommended. The importance should be emphasized to kids growing up in sex education classes and adults should be made more aware of the importance.
  • lee 2012/12/01 21:00:49
    Overly cautious
    lee
    +2
    how about reactionary?

can we just stop trying to get at ppls bodily fluids?

talk about your BIG GOV...
  • FanOreilly 2012/12/01 19:52:40
    Overly cautious
    FanOreilly
    +4
    Stupid idea.

Let me guess...it's mandated in Obamacare.
  • Skidplate 2012/12/01 16:45:08
    Good idea
    Skidplate
    +2
    Why not? Catch it early and treat it so you can prolong your life as much as possible.

2014/07/24 23:12:45