Do you support "right-to-work" legislation?

L.A. Times 2012/12/10 23:44:49
The Michigan Legislature on Wednesday gave final passage to two "right-to-work" bills that could diminish labor power in a state once dominated by autoworker unions. Although political maneuvering continues, the bills are likely to be delivered to Gov. Rick Snyder as soon as Wednesday. He has pledged to sign them.

The first bill, which covered public-sector employees, passed the House 58-51, and was followed by a bill covering private-sector employees, including the United Auto Workers, which passed 58-52. Both were already passed by the Senate last week.

right to work

Read More: http://www.latimes.com/business/money/la-fi-mo-mic...

• thefatguy 2012/12/11 03:09:45
    thefatguy
    +26
    Yes, I support "right to work" legislation. The union thugs have no right to demand union dues in exchange for employment protection anymore than a school bully has a right to demand "lunch money" in exchange for injury protection. Why people cannot see that what the unions are doing is corrupt and illegal just shows how pervasive the Leftist mindset is.

• princess 2012/12/22 12:27:14
    princess
    That was meant to be a YES.
  • Thomas G Towns 2012/12/18 02:18:29 (edited)
    Thomas G Towns
    +1
    Can't these boobs figure out why Detroit is broke Screw these thugs. warnig thieves
  • sbtbill Thomas ... 2012/12/19 18:15:49
    sbtbill
    People who take union negotiated benefits like overtime, the 40 hour week, equal pay for equal work, vacations, etc with out paying dues are definitly theives.
  • ratclif... sbtbill 2013/01/28 11:21:46 (edited)
    ratclifft~pwcm
    what about the union rep. just what do they do .they take your money and then when they don't get there way they tell you to go on strike and when you do go on strike your pay check is cut off but you still have to pay your due's so they can still get there money so who is the thief here,you do all the hard work they sit behind a desk and you pay them
  • Elaine ... Thomas ... 2013/01/23 23:37:09
    Elaine Magliacane
    Nope they are union thugs... why ANYONE in todays world pays union dues is beyond STUPID!!.... like SBTBILL below who blocks me so I can't comment on his idiot ravings... COWARD and a FOOL
  • Boudicea 2012/12/14 21:54:01
    Boudicea
    +1
    Not on Yes, but HELL YES
  • kmay 2012/12/14 18:25:38
    kmay
    +1
    Common sense choice!
  • firelooker 2012/12/14 17:57:26 (edited)
    firelooker
    +1
    Having seen first hand the damage union's cause, I vote for the right to work. I live in a right to work state & up until Obama came into office never had any trouble finding work. I saw first hand the tactics the teamsters used in the sixties when they wanted to force their way into Auburn Rubber co in Deming NM. They slashed tires on the peoples cars who opposed them, busted windshields, threw bricks through anti union peoples houses & physically threatenend people.
  • NECHOII firelooker 2012/12/14 18:45:31
    NECHOII
    +2
    As a UNION MEMBER, I WHOLEHEARTEDLY CONDEMN SUCH EVIL TACTICS ! Good thing that company bosses NEVER USE such methods on UNION ACTIVISTS such as pointing guns at them or FIRING EMPLOYEE UNION ACTIVISTS ON THE SPOT !
    In CANADA, COMPANIES ARE NOT ALLOWED TO INTERFERE WHEN THERE IS A UNION DRIVE GOING ON AS LONG AS IT OCCURS WHEN EMPLOYEES ARE ON THEIR BREAK TIMES OR ON THEIR OWN TIME.
    The COMPANY BOSSES can tell their employees that, " The company would prefer not to have a Union. " But that's it.
    If any UNION OFFICIALS did in this country what you describe, they would be in JAIL mighty fast and the Union itself would be HEAVILY FINED or GOVERNMENT AUTHORITIES WOULD SEIZE CONTROL OF THE UNION.
  • firelooker NECHOII 2012/12/14 18:58:03
    firelooker
    +1
    I don't know if they still employ such tactics. I have never been a fan of unions having seen friends lose everything they worked for because the union called a strike.
  • Just Mom firelooker 2012/12/15 16:34:20
    Just Mom
    +2
    No one is forced to participate in a Strike. You seem to forget a Union is elected by the people working there. The people who represent them in Negotiations are elected by them.
    Union Officers CANNOT call a Strike!!!
    A Strike Vote is called for by voting by the Members.
    A lot of you posting have absolutely No IDEA how a Union works. You are repeating what you have been told to believe by those with an agenda.
    You need to be looking at who is pushing these laws.
    Then look at the Standard of Loving in a RTW state.
  • ratclif... Just Mom 2013/01/28 11:30:26
    ratclifft~pwcm
    i think i remember the union my father was in went on strike one time and he told his rep that he could not because of hospital bill's they TOLD him NOT TO SHOW UP FOR WORK till they called him, he did not go to work, it was not a request that they made to him
  • Just Mom ratclif... 2013/01/28 16:43:54
    Just Mom
    The majority of members of your father's Local Union voted to strike. The Majority rules.
  • ratclif... Just Mom 2013/01/28 19:18:02
    ratclifft~pwcm
    yeah, still didn't pay our bill's
  • Just Mom ratclif... 2013/02/06 01:57:23
    Just Mom
    Didn't pay ours either.
  • NECHOII firelooker 2012/12/22 05:42:26
    NECHOII
    Don't forget, The Union Membership takes a vote on whether to go on strike or not.
    Then there are essential service jobs where strikes are illegal, so Union Contract disputes are settled in Arbitration Court ( Labour Court. )
  • firelooker NECHOII 2012/12/22 16:20:34
    firelooker
    +1
    I still have no use for unions. If I want to work somewheree why should i have to jon a union & pay union dsues that are used to support the Democrats & mafia leaders
  • NECHOII firelooker 2012/12/22 19:50:28
    NECHOII
    Because employees decide by DEMOCRATIC VOTE as to whether they want a Union to represent them or not. And DEMOCRACY RULES !
    But not to worry, there are still many many non - union companies that you can go work for since you are so dead set against Unions,
    As for me, I would NEVER work without a Union !
  • Tennessean NECHOII 2012/12/22 21:44:50
    Tennessean
    This reminds me of a furniture factory in Cookville, TN when I was in college there.

Maxwell Furniture was a privately owned furniture company with about 80 employees, who were earning well above the going wage in that area, but due to the fact that the company had their own trucks that delivered to several ajoining states, they were entitled to vote for union representation.

The union representatives convinced the employees that they would benefit from joining the union.

The owner expalined to his employees that since he started and ran the business himself, he would not have a union in his factory, but the employees voted for one anyway.

After the managment attempted to run the factory themslves for a few months, with the hourly employees on strike, Maxwell sold his trucks, manufacturing equipment, and closed his factory.

The workers had not only been out of work for about three months, but with the closing of the factory, they found out that they coud not find any jobs, in the area, that paid what they were earning before unionizing.

Maxwell retired and lived off the money he invested from the sale of his trucks, equipment, and factory buildings, while the people that used to work there had to accept lower paid jobs, when they could find them, that those they previously held.

The moral of this story is simply know when you are well off, and do not do something stupid when you livelyhood is at stake.
  • NECHOII Tennessean 2012/12/23 05:59:39
    NECHOII
    +1
    We've had a few incidents of what you have described in Canada as well. The Unions took the Managers who closed their businesses to court and won their cases in most cases. The businesses were ordered by the courts to reopen under different owners. In our country. Management must respect the democratic vote of their employees.
    It is illegal in my country for any business owner to tell his employees that he is not going to tolerate any Union in his business.
    Labour laws need to be greatly strengthened in America to protect the ordinary working stiff.
  • Thomas ... NECHOII 2013/01/24 02:32:17
    Thomas G Towns
    Please keep your country and your socialist laws and stay out of my country. country socialist laws stay country
  • NECHOII Thomas ... 2013/01/25 00:13:03
    NECHOII
    Both our countries are FREE and DEMOCRATIC. That gives me the right to present an idea or an opinion to your country without fear of censureship, deportation or worse. We do NOT live in Iran.
    Having written that, you of course are free to accept or reject my ideas or opinions.
  • Tennessean NECHOII 2013/01/24 04:46:43
    Tennessean
    In this country, at least for the time being, the government can not force anyone to run a business if they want to sell out and retire.

Also in this case it was not the managers, but the owner of the business that closed it, sold off the equipment and retired, not to mention the fact that these employees were already earning more that others in the same area, and that is why they could not find other employment without taking a pay cut.
  • NECHOII Tennessean 2013/01/25 00:14:39
    NECHOII
    +1
    Hopefully a new buyer will soon be found for that business.
  • Thomas ... Tennessean 2013/01/24 02:51:01
    Thomas G Towns
    I worked for a Foundation company when I was about 24 Putting in foundations for high rises condos at the beach in Maryland. I ran a crew of about 6 guys One hot day I was approached by a guy in an overcoat who wanted one dollar. He was the union rep and he did have a gun. I bulked because I didn't want to join but he reminded me of the young man who FELL off of another high rise a couple of days earlier. GANGSTAS ALL
  • NECHOII Thomas ... 2013/01/25 00:16:41
    NECHOII
    +1
    As a Union Steward I totally condemn such OUTRAGEOUS behaviour ! I hope you called the police.
  • Thomas ... NECHOII 2013/01/25 00:57:31
    Thomas G Towns
    No police but went back to the commercial fishing boats where they don't care who you are pay in cash I have worked up to 24 straight hours on some 18 day trips but with a percentage of the catch it was worth it. I have known a few union reps and they were all GANGSTAS
    gun carrying cement overshoes SCUM GANGSTAS
  • NECHOII Thomas ... 2013/01/25 01:15:30
    NECHOII
    I am sorry you have had such a bad experience with Unions.
    Working 24 hours straight on commercial fishing boats?! When I think if you were unionize, all the OVERTIME you would have been paid for those long shifts.......
    Best of luck to you
  • Thomas ... NECHOII 2013/01/25 02:02:00
    Thomas G Towns
    believe me the money is hundreds sometime thousands a day.18 day trip even in the 70's 20,000 that includes 2 days out 2 back. Canada we got 2 cartoons of cigs out and bottle of rum when we got back in.
  • NECHOII Thomas ... 2013/01/26 02:03:11
    NECHOII
    And how much of that money goes into YOUR wallet ?
  • Thomas ... NECHOII 2013/01/26 05:45:20
    Thomas G Towns
    before the criminals from the government tax me. no union dues.
    hardest work on earth I would do 10-12 trips a year. Sometimes drop off and right back out. the most dangerous job on earth comercial fishing
  • NECHOII Thomas ... 2013/01/26 07:35:17
    NECHOII
    Are you planning to do this type of work until you retire ?
  • Thomas ... NECHOII 2013/01/26 10:17:07
    Thomas G Towns
    left the life of adventure got my real estate license and made millions. Never looked back , unions who needs unions.
  • NECHOII Thomas ... 2013/01/26 19:45:19
    NECHOII
    I do.
    You " made millions " as a Real Estate broker. Interesting. Thought the Sub prime mortgage catastrophe causing housing prices to plummet would have put a clunker in that career.
  • Just Mom Thomas ... 2013/01/28 16:48:57
    Just Mom
    Sorry, but when you are too old and broken down physically with age and poor working conditions, you will not be so proud of working for cash. There are reasons for Labor Laws. There are in place to protect you, not to punish you.
  • Thomas ... Just Mom 2013/01/28 20:23:41 (edited)
    Thomas G Towns
    you didn't read my last comment.
    just mom is that like big brother
  • Just Mom Thomas ... 2013/02/06 02:00:55
    Just Mom
    Don't believe you but good luck to you.
  • Thomas ... Just Mom 2013/02/06 02:08:46 (edited)
    Thomas G Towns
    The audacity to doubt my veracity to insinuate that I would exaggerate on such an insignificant trifle.
    TRUE Honest
    want some land?
  • ratclif... NECHOII 2013/01/28 11:26:07
    ratclifft~pwcm
    +1
    oh no here it is the union thug's that pull gun's on people or slash tire's and key car's . there way is so much better
  • Just Mom ratclif... 2013/01/28 16:53:07
    Just Mom
    +1
    To say nothing of Swat Team armed Security Guards who are owned by Employers to enforce Lock Outs.
    For every instance you site of "Union Goons" I could give you more of "Enforcers" paid for by Employers beginning with Pinkerton.

2014/10/26 00:29:10