DO YOU REMEMBER THIS EXCELLENT ACTRESS; KATHARINE HEPBURN

BIG BAD JOHN R. 2012/06/19 17:33:23

Katharine Houghton Hepburn (May 12, 1907 – June 29, 2003) was an American actress of film, stage, and television. Known for her headstrong independence and spirited personality, Hepburn's career as a Hollywood leading lady spanned more than 60 years. Her work came in a range of genres, from screwball comedy to literary drama, and she received four Academy Awards for Best Actress—a record for any performer. Hepburn's characters were often strong, sophisticated women with a hidden vulnerability.

Raised in Connecticut by wealthy, progressive parents, Hepburn began to act while studying at Bryn Mawr College. After four years in the theatre, favorable reviews of her work on Broadwaybrought her to the attention of Hollywood. Her early years in the film industry were marked with success, including an Academy Award for her third picture, Morning Glory (1933), but this was followed by a series of commercial failures. In 1938 she was labeled "box office poison". Hepburn masterminded her own comeback, buying out her contract with RKO Radio Picturesand acquiring the film rights to The Philadelphia Story, which she sold on the condition that she be the star. In the 1940s she was contracted to Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer, where her career focused on an alliance with Spencer Tracy. The screen-partnership spanned 25 years, and produced nine movies.

Hepburn challenged herself in the latter half of her life, as she regularly appeared in Shakespeare stage productions and tackled a range of literary roles. She found a niche playing middle-aged spinsters, such as in The African Queen (1951), a persona the public embraced. Three more Oscars came for her work in Guess Who's Coming to Dinner (1967), The Lion in Winter(1968), and On Golden Pond (1981). In the 1970s she began appearing in television movies, which became the focus of her career in later life. She remained active into old age, making her final screen appearance in 1994 at the age of 87. After a period of inactivity and ill-health, Hepburn died in 2003 at the age of 96.

Hepburn famously shunned the Hollywood publicity machine, and refused to conform to societal expectations of women. She was outspoken, assertive, athletic, and wore pants before it was fashionable. She married once, as a young woman, but thereafter lived independently. A 26-year affair with her co-star Spencer Tracy was hidden from the public. With her unconventional lifestyle and the independent characters she brought to the screen, Hepburn came to epitomize the "modern woman" in 20th-century America and helped change perceptions of women. In 1999, she was named by the American Film Institute as the top female Hollywood legend.[1]

• LaurenLooBE 2013/09/19 17:21:18
    YES, I remember he she was great in her day.
    LaurenLooBE
    She's pure geniusness. I love her films and I love her personality. She's amazing. :)
  • beach bum 2012/06/21 05:34:32
    beach bum
    excellent actress
  • Ben 2012/06/19 20:22:31
    No, i don't have a clue who she was
    Ben
    I'm 34 years old and still don't have a clue. I've only heard stories. She's pretty I like her facial structure.
  • strange_armour 2012/06/19 19:18:51
    strange_armour
    She reminds me of Kate "Captain Janeway" Mulgrew. I thought they were related and so did a lot of other people. Katharine Hepburn was a babe. I honestly thought that she had been dead since the 1980's. NINETY-SIX is a bloody good run. I'll drink to her memory on the 29th.
  • Death On Two Legs 2012/06/19 19:10:34
    Death On Two Legs
    I saw a quote from her on Tumblr on the Atheist tag.
  • Jan Haskell 2012/06/19 19:00:37
    Jan Haskell
    Her career was brilliant from beginning to end.
  • john 2012/06/19 18:44:11
    john
    i thought she was fantastic, but never liked her type of films....
  • RogerCoppock 2012/06/19 18:11:21 (edited)
    RogerCoppock
    Most SodaHeaders will not remember Katharine Hepburn's hay day. The last Hepburn movie I saw was "On Golden Pond" (1981),
  • BIG BAD JOHN R. 2012/06/19 17:36:01
    BIG BAD JOHN R.
    +1
    She was one of the best and played a lot with another great Spencer Tracy. spencer tracy and KATHARINE HEPBURN spencer tracy and KATHARINE HEPBURN spencer tracy and KATHARINE HEPBURN

2014/09/22 01:16:54