Do You Like Obama's Campaign Mixtape?

SodaHead Music 2012/02/21 14:00:00
Musicians have been telling candidates to stop endorsing their music during political campaigns for years, as far back as 1984 when Bruce Springsteen poked fun at Ronald Reagan for praising "Born in the U.S.A." But typically, it's Republican candidates who get the call. Now we have to wonder if this 29-song "mixtape" released for President Obama's re-election campaign will ruffle any feathers.

Earlier in the month Obama's campaign began streaming a lengthy playlist on Spotify intended to energize his constituents. It's a strange and scattered list, clearly meant to appeal to a variety of voters. The selection includes alternative "young" bands like Wilco and Arcade Fire, thematic songs like "Roll With the Changes" by REO Speedwagon, and even multiple picks from country duo Sugarland. It's unclear whether he has the express consent of these groups, but no one has complained yet.

No Doubt - "Different People"
Earth, Wind & Fire - "Got to Get You in My Life"
Booker T & The MG's - "Green Onions"
Wilco - "I Got You"
The Impressions - "Keep on Pushing"
Nicole Willis & the Soul Investigators - "Keep Reachin' Up"
Jennifer Hudson - "Love You I Do"
AgesAndAges - "No Nostalgia"
Ledisi - "Raise Up"
Sugarland - "Stand Up"
Darius Rucker - "This"
Arcade Fire - "We Used To Wait"
Florence and the Machine - "You've Got the Love"
James Taylor - "Your Smiling Face"
REO Speedwagon - "Roll With the Changes"
Sugarland - "Everyday America"
Darius Rucker - "Learn to Live"
Al Green - "Let's Stay Together"
Electric Light Orchestra - "Mr. Blue Sky"
Montgomery Gentry - "My Town"
Ricky Martin (ft. Joss Stone) - "The Best Thing About Me is You"
Ray Lamontagne - "You Are the Best Thing"
Raphael Saadiq - "Keep Marchin'"
Noah and the Whale - "Tonight's The Kind of Night"
Bruce Springsteen - "We Take Care of our Own"
Zac Brown Band - "Keep Me In Mind"
Aretha Franklin - "The Weight"
U2 - Even Better "Than The Real Thing"
Dierks Bentley - "Home"

• cddjmikey Eva 2012/03/06 23:46:56
    cddjmikey
    I do realise that the tax cut didn't start the spiral. But it is one of his plans to help stimulate the economy. As I said talk about kicking the can down the road. It is so small that it barely covers the increases going on and it brings about the bankruptcy of Social Security that much faster. Second, yes President Bush left him in a horrible position. He knew that going in and he still claimed that his budget plans would cut the deficit in half by the end of his first term ! He not only didn't cut it he increased it by almost 5 TRILLION SO FAR !! Hell if he could have kept it where it was with no gain or loss I would have been TRULY impressed !!!
  • Kieth S... Eva 2012/02/23 18:13:24
    Kieth Stone
    +1
    Did you smoke a joint before you wrote this???? I hate to do any over time, because I get taxed so much more because of it! I also would be better off if I only worked four days a week, because after taxes I get just about the same as working for five days. The running joke is, Friday is for all people who live off the tit of everyone else! I hate it and it disgusts me that I have to pay for people who make poor dissensions in their lives. I bet you also want obama and his band of libs to go after oil companies and corporations. I hope he does! Then you can cry even more when gas prices double, and you can't buy food or cloths for yourself. Do you really think businesses will pay more in taxes and not have to raise their prices to compensate for the theft of the money they earned? I can't believe there are so many dumb people that cheer for obama when he plays that. It's the worst thing you could do to poor people, because they are the ones that wont be able to afford to pay for the tax increase on oil and corporations. I say go for it obama, I did the right thing all my life, and am ready to ride the storm out. obama is going to make the dollar worthless! He's a bad joke, and will go down as the worst ever!
  • Eva Kieth S... 2012/03/06 22:09:35
    Eva
    You ask me if I smoked a joint before voicing my political views. You predict that I want Obama and "his band of libs" (seriously?) to go after oil companies and corporations. You tell me to cry more over future gas prices. You say I'm dumb.

And you honestly think that I'M the one who's high?
  • Kieth S... Eva 2012/03/15 16:36:03
    Kieth Stone
    Yup.
  • Lana Ri... kerri 2012/02/22 22:46:09 (edited)
  • Samiam Lana Ri... 2012/02/24 20:00:31 (edited)
    Samiam
    bush approval vs obama approval

YOU MIGHT ACTUALLY HAVE TO LOOK THIS UP AND EDUCATE YOURSELF....that's all I'm gonna say...I'm not gonna lay anything more, out there for you....
  • Miss UT kerri 2012/02/23 05:33:14
    Miss UT
    Your spelling and grammar are horrible. You need to clean that up if you want to be taken seriously.
  • Samiam Miss UT 2012/02/23 20:58:36
    Samiam
    I guess you don't text ............ever ....... Kerri laid it out plain and simple. You and Lana just want something simple to pick on. In the long run, BUSH Jr ,will be given much more credit than Obama could ever dream of.
  • Eva Miss UT 2012/03/06 22:12:15 (edited)
    Eva
    +1
    Thank you! If you must go around insulting politicians and people they've never met, then at least do it with correct grammar and spelling. And yes, I am indeed challenging them to.
  • NicolineWeirdo-chanKnuth 2012/02/22 19:48:58
  • Kieth S... Nicolin... 2012/02/22 20:47:15
    Kieth Stone
    +3
    Yea there you go, everyone who is against obama is a racist. Typical democrat defense of obama. I cant wait for the election, that's all you guys are going to be saying, Republicans are racist. I think democrats speak of a guilty conscious. As I recall republicans have been the party that has done more for minorities than any other party in the world. The democrat party has been against equal rights since the beginning, and still are. Those are the facts!
  • Samiam Kieth S... 2012/02/22 21:16:29
    Samiam
    +1
    amen Keith.....here's another nail for the democrats coffin.

Political party R-E-P-U-B-L-I-C-A-N !!!!!!!!!!!!! (1854–1865)

He successfully led his country through a great constitutional, military and moral crisis – the American Civil War – preserving the Union, WHILE ENDING SLAVERY and promoting economic and financial modernization.

DEM's you live in a huge glass house !!!

http://gopcapitalist.tripod.c...
  • NicoleS... Samiam 2012/02/22 21:54:52
    NicoleStorm
    +2
    So let me get this straight: you want to invoke Lincoln in defending a party which has morphed largely into a conglomeration of of Confederate reinactors?

Does that mean it's OK to pretend that Joseph McCarthy is still around, and central to the GOP platform?
  • Samiam NicoleS... 2012/02/24 19:10:33
    Samiam
    Confederate reinactors?????????? What the hell is that supposed to mean ???

Not surprisingly, in all the lies and accusations of racism by the radical left wing, the truth becomes distorted not only ABOUT the Republicans but also the Democrats who make these accusations themselves. For instance, you may or may not have heard Democrat Senator Robert Byrd's outburst of racist bigoted slurs, more specifically the "n-word," on national television in March of 2001. Amazingly, this incident of blatant racism on national television drew barely a peep from the NAACP, Jesse Jackson, Julian Bond, Mary Frances Berry, or any of the other ambulance chasers who purport themselves to be the leaders of the civil rights movement. In contrast, the main source of well deserved criticism for Byrd's racist outburst came not from any of the so called leaders of the civil rights movement but from from Republican Majority Leader Dick Armey (source). The race hustlers Jackson, Mfume et al turned a blind eye towards this act of racism by one of their own party, at most issuing an unpublicized slap on the wrist, or, as was more often the case, making not a peep. But where the race hustlers turn a blind eye and spew their lies, it is up to conservatives to set the record straight with the truth.

Wow you ...

Wow you are uneducated !

The term McCarthyism, coined in 1950 in reference to McCarthy's practices, was soon applied to similar anti-communist activities. Today the term is used more generally in reference to demagogic, reckless, and unsubstantiated accusations, as well as public attacks on the character and/or patriotism of political opponents.[2]

McCarthy died in 1957 and he has no bearing on the GOP platform.
    If you democrats and liberals would shut up for two seconds and listen to thought and reason you could have read my posts and researched the material laid before you....

http://gopcapitalist.tripod.c...

BUT you can't shut up and you continue to use lies and misinterpretation to further your hollow causes.....Maybe ..just maybe..... a sensible person may come along and read the facts and realize what a bunch of racist bigots you all are.

Don't accuse republicans of racism when you are nothing but a bunch of white sheets...

GO BURN YOUR CROSS ELSEWHERE !!!
  • La Bef Samiam 2012/02/25 15:38:27
    La Bef
    bout time someone tries to educate the sheep, however, you wasted your time...they will continue to speak the talking points that are fed to them. :-(
  • NicoleS... Kieth S... 2012/02/22 21:52:54
    NicoleStorm
    +1
    Ahh, that old strawman: you can't criticize the blatant and overt racism in much of the public discourse without being accused of calling everybody who criticizes the president a racist.

methinks thou does protest too much.
  • Lana Ri... NicoleS... 2012/02/22 22:56:40
    Lana Riley-Brown
    Don't waste your time. They are just too stupid to understand anything
  • Samiam Lana Ri... 2012/02/24 19:13:03
    Samiam
    yes..I'm sure you are a harvard graduate..and you run a fortune 500 company....I've read your posts and I'm pretty sure you barely passed the GED.
  • Kieth S... NicoleS... 2012/02/23 18:21:52
    Kieth Stone
    +1
    obama and the demacrat party are the racist, the facts are the facts!
  • Lana Ri... Kieth S... 2012/02/22 22:54:06
    Lana Riley-Brown
    Your facts but not the truth ! How do you think you can beat Obama ? You have no one at all and the whole country knows it. LOL hahahahahahaha
  • Kieth S... Lana Ri... 2012/02/23 18:22:48
    Kieth Stone
    +2
    If your deam comes true, we are all finished!
  • Samiam Lana Ri... 2012/02/24 19:38:49
    Samiam
    hahahahahah ...YOU ARE DUMB.....hahahahaha LOL LMFAO..hhahahahah
  • Kieth S... Lana Ri... 2012/03/02 01:36:17
    Kieth Stone
    obama will be in jail, or in hiding come November
  • La Bef Kieth S... 2012/02/23 00:56:02
    La Bef
    Keith...they don't want to hear the facts.... hey are well....democrats...if htey paid attention to history and facts they'd be....well....Republicans.
  • Nicolin... Kieth S... 2012/02/27 23:45:27
    NicolineWeirdo-chanKnuth
    Here's the thing, I didn't specifically say that "all republicans are racist". Hell, I didn't say anything resembling that. I said "look at the kind of *bla bla bla long line of words* he has to deal with!" As in, the bad apples. The people that are acting like drunken idiots in the internet and can't come up with anything better than insults to another person's reasonable argument or differently opinioned comment. You're putting words in my mouth. I said that some of these comments appalled me and a few of them was, yes, indeed racist. If you want examples of racist democrats, I can list a couple off the top of my head, and I hate them just as much as any other idiot out there. No difference to me. Republican or Democrat, both have bad apples in the basket hiding under the fresh fruits. :P

Keep in mind that my knowledge about what the Republicans have done and haven't done for the miniorities, or just in general, are limited to what I get in the media. I don't live in the US. I merely state my oppinion based on the things I see online, in the TV and in online newspapers. And yes, I do keep the sourcematerial and risk of altered info in mind. If you're gonna bash me for that, honestly, look at your own comment. Biased much? That, stranger from the internet, is what I can only c...

Keep in mind that my knowledge about what the Republicans have done and haven't done for the miniorities, or just in general, are limited to what I get in the media. I don't live in the US. I merely state my oppinion based on the things I see online, in the TV and in online newspapers. And yes, I do keep the sourcematerial and risk of altered info in mind. If you're gonna bash me for that, honestly, look at your own comment. Biased much? That, stranger from the internet, is what I can only call typical political retaliation. Mudthrowing. Offended namecalling. Childish babble. Sorry, but that's not a game I'm interested in playing. My first comment was initially meant to say "Sheesh, guys, you can't even comment on his music taste without mixing politics and mudthrowing into this" until I saw some of the bad apple comments. Rant ensued. That's essentially all there really is to that. Just sayin'. T_T

Once again, rant ensued. Now, if you'll have me excused, I have other things to do that doesn't involve US politics. Bye bye! o3o
  • Samiam Nicolin... 2012/02/22 21:06:49
    Samiam
    +2
    READ KERRI'S COMMENT ABOVE...she hit the nail on the head.....YOU MISSED...

throwing the race card
  • NicoleS... Samiam 2012/02/22 21:55:21
    NicoleStorm
    +1
    Not that you protest too much or anything.
  • Lana Ri... NicoleS... 2012/02/22 23:01:18
    Lana Riley-Brown
    Sure as hell all the repukes do. Let them yalk to one another while we talk to the voter's with a brain as they don't have a clue. We just have too BEAT them into the dirt at the polls !
  • Samiam Lana Ri... 2012/02/24 19:51:08 (edited)
    Samiam
    obama disapproval ratings
    obama disapproval ratings

BUT YOU KNOW IT ALL.................
  • Samiam NicoleS... 2012/02/24 19:18:44
    Samiam
    I protest lies and miseducation....I wave my AMERICAN flag everyday...i support prayer in schools and the daily raising and lowering of the flag. I support pledge of allegiance in all schools. I proudly served my country like my father before me..I served in IRAQ/KUWAIT..I am a veteran..I take my family to church and we praise the one and ONLY GOD.....and for all you liberals and democrats who don't like it...go move to China...they could use some more anti-Americans.
  • Samiam NicoleS... 2012/02/24 19:42:26 (edited)
  • Eva Samiam 2012/02/22 21:59:52
    Eva
    +1
    Oh geez. . . Where to begin. . . Well, I could start on the phrase "person of color" that graces your card. What year is it anyway, 1830?
  • Lana Ri... Eva 2012/02/22 23:01:55
    Lana Riley-Brown
    Racist pig that you are, I see
  • Samiam Lana Ri... 2012/02/24 19:36:24
    Samiam
    look in the mirror at lot ,I see....
  • Samiam Eva 2012/02/24 19:35:31
  • SPE Nicolin... 2012/02/23 00:56:20
    SPE
    Nicotine, don't worry about these Fox News crap heads, Obama will win the next election I promise!
  • Samiam SPE 2012/02/24 19:36:57
    Samiam
    ..are you in the Bilderburg group ????
  • Samiam Nicolin... 2012/02/24 19:56:41
  • Kieth S... Nicolin... 2012/03/02 01:34:07
    Kieth Stone
    obama is a fraud with a fraudulent birth certificate and selective service card! obama is going to be led out of the white house in hand cuff very soon. If he were smart he would make a run for it right now. The problem is he hasn't finished bankrupting the USA yet, although he did bring us to the brink. obama is a muslim who hates America and that's what he has in common with the liberals...........liberals hate America too! Congress will be investigating his fraudulent identification very soon, and the liberals will have made us all look like fools by electing obama. The only good thing is, is that it will be the end of democrat party!
  • Nicolin... Kieth S... 2012/03/05 19:51:06
    NicolineWeirdo-chanKnuth
    Speaking of bad apples... Seriously. Read your own comment. I see a whole bunch of conspiracy theories mashed into one poorly written comment. If you wanna rant and rave, at least remember to make to add the big O to the name, even if you hate the man it's assigned to. Sheesh. :P

2014/04/19 19:56:32