Do You Finish Most of the Video Games You Play?

Christine Lusey 2011/08/18 19:00:00
Video games continue to push boundaries of graphics, storytelling and design. So why don't most people finish them? Tech journalist Blake Snow wanted to find out.

Snow interviewed Activision's Keith Fuller, who says that "90 percent of players who start your game will never see the end of it unless they watch a clip on YouTube." And John Lee, formerly of Capcom, THQ and SEGA agrees. "Just 10 years ago, I recall some standard that only 20 percent of gamers ever finish a game, Lee says.

One example cited is the sprawling Western epic, Red Dead Redemption, considered by many as the best game of 2010.

Only 10 percent of avid gamers completed the final mission, according to Raptr, which tracks more than 23 million gaming sessions. Let that sink in for a minute: Of every 10 people who started playing the consensus 'Game of the Year,' only one of them finished it.

So, what gives?

Snow theorizes that one factor is the age of the average gamer: 37, according to the Entertainment Software Association. Most adults just plain don't have the time to devote dozens of hours to completing a game. Another possibility, according to Snow, is that gamers are inundated with so many new releases they can't keep up.

But Snow thinks what's really behind it all is a shift toward online multiplayer modes. "These days, I know many people who buy the latest single-player/multiplayer shooter (game) and never even bother to load the single-player," Fuller says.

What about you? Do you usually complete video games?

Read More: http://www.cnn.com/2011/TECH/gaming.gadgets/08/17/...

• Sandman366 2012/05/14 13:07:18
    Sandman366
    Depends on the game. FF7-9 I never beat the end bosses, but I did most of the rest and could theoretically do it anytime I wanted to. Too much work to actually do it. I just never feel like it. Other games I've beaten the final bosses multiple times.

Now that I think about it, I think I have beaten the final stuff on most of what I've played, if there are actual finals that is.

Like on FF12, I tried doing absolutely everything. I think the only thing I haven't done on that is do all of the stupid Quickening concurrence thingies. Oh, and I'll never beat that fishing minigame. That thing is just stupid and mean. (I killed Yiazmat by modifying DarkKefka's "Auto-Yiazmat" a bit, well, more just took the "can only use Death Strike on the people on the stairs" and had one person melee and 2 on the stairs and it took a while, but still. Then I did Omega, who was a pushover in comparison. Had a close call near the start, but once you get started (2 support 1 main tank with Decoy and Reverse on the whole time) it's a very easy fight.)

Anyway, rambling....I'm not sure what "%" of games I've done final stuff on. I know if you count all the games I've tried and hated on places like Newgrounds, my % would drop to low, but still. Some of those just don't count...
  • shadow 2012/03/24 00:03:12
    shadow
    why wouldn't you then it will be a waste of money
  • Atrum Angelus 2012/01/05 07:54:34
    Atrum Angelus
    Eventually, I do. Life usually means I'm finishing a game as the sequel is coming out.
    Hell, I've been so busy I'm still in the middle of Assassin's Creed II and TWO more games in the series have come out.
  • Jay98 2011/10/23 16:14:16
    Jay98
    sorry to say i don't. it's not always the same reason though. sometimes the games get so difficult it's no longer fun to play them and instead it becomes an obsession to finish the game. when that happens i think i might as well not play the game anymore because it's no longer fun. being hyper is not the same as real enjoyment, it just makes you thirsting for more and more. Most of the games available nowadays are like that, the companies want you to be obsessed so you'll buy their next game. Screw that, i find playing Sonic 2 much more rewarding than God of War. Say what you like about retro games but they always left me feel quietly content afterwards rather than screaming and cheering with delight like someone on e or something. Other times some games just bore me, the whole thing is just like something i've seen over and over and i get no enjoyment out of it like Gears of War. Other times games are just too much like i'm watching a movie, at that point i just get a movie and watch that instead, it's usually way better than the game e.g. Uncharted. Other times there are stupid game mechanics that just keep jumping up an annoy me or badly designed or implemented game mechanics i.e. street fighter. I often find there are plenty of other games just as good but less irritating....
    sorry to say i don't. it's not always the same reason though. sometimes the games get so difficult it's no longer fun to play them and instead it becomes an obsession to finish the game. when that happens i think i might as well not play the game anymore because it's no longer fun. being hyper is not the same as real enjoyment, it just makes you thirsting for more and more. Most of the games available nowadays are like that, the companies want you to be obsessed so you'll buy their next game. Screw that, i find playing Sonic 2 much more rewarding than God of War. Say what you like about retro games but they always left me feel quietly content afterwards rather than screaming and cheering with delight like someone on e or something. Other times some games just bore me, the whole thing is just like something i've seen over and over and i get no enjoyment out of it like Gears of War. Other times games are just too much like i'm watching a movie, at that point i just get a movie and watch that instead, it's usually way better than the game e.g. Uncharted. Other times there are stupid game mechanics that just keep jumping up an annoy me or badly designed or implemented game mechanics i.e. street fighter. I often find there are plenty of other games just as good but less irritating. I'd rather play good games like Mario Galaxy, King of Fighters, Red Faction, Saints Row, Sonic Heroes, Gran Tourismo, Fight Night, etc than obsessive tripe like Bioshock, Halo, Killzone, Banjo Kazooie, Donkey Kong, Toca, Madden, etc.
  • cheekyholmes 2011/10/15 09:28:44
    cheekyholmes
    Guilty as charged. I've probably finished less than half the games I've played. I'll get to them all eventually...when I'm not obsessing over other things. lol
  • Ketel-One 2011/10/13 14:46:56
    Ketel-One
    I try to
  • paintball_addict18 2011/10/13 04:44:05
    paintball_addict18
    If its a good game I always try to finish it, especially because im an Achievement whore.
  • Michael Boham 2011/10/11 19:53:05 (edited)
    Michael Boham
    I do my best to finish as many of them as possible but I'm no completionist. MMOs, I don't think I'll ever finish.
  • jontellywelly_ 2011/10/11 09:39:39
    jontellywelly_
    I hardly play but when I do I hate to leave it un-finished.
  • K.K. 2011/10/10 19:29:54
    K.K.
    I like finishing them. If I don't. . . I kind of don't see the point.
  • nll 2011/10/09 19:37:40
  • Andric Lucid 2011/10/09 05:17:50
    Andric Lucid
    Finish as in reaching the last mission/stage/episode yes, but the achievements or so... hell no, too stressing
  • Strickster 2011/10/08 17:48:28 (edited)
    Strickster
    I always finish a game before I even buy a new one, and I never buy more than one game at a time. Basically, I only have one new game at a time, and until I finish it, I don't even look at other games (I believe in monogaming...). So far, there's only one game I didn't finish, Mirror's Edge, because I got bored (It always the same thing, the friggin' game doesn't evolve), and it was around the time I stopped playing xbox (i bought the game for xbox).
  • Will McDowell 2011/10/07 01:37:22
    Will McDowell
    not only do I finish them, but in most cases I make a point to beat their hardest setting. all COD games? veteran, first playthrough. Mass Effect 1 + 2? insanity, granted not first playthrough, but I didn't lose any of my squad.
  • Rebel [SHP] 2011/10/06 20:26:09
    Rebel [SHP]
    Most. Final Fantasy 13 was the only one I didn't. I got the disc three and I was like F*** this, this is boring.
  • Brandon 2011/10/06 04:57:54
    Brandon
    I play, then I get bored and play another. Eventually, I will finish lol. But I do love some online game play esp some coop with my friends lol
  • Rimvydas_M 2011/10/05 19:51:48
    Rimvydas_M
    most of them
    few day ago just finish
    deus ex human revolution
  • Vee 2011/10/05 16:45:04
    Vee
    No. not really but i finished Max Payne games! i love it!
  • Jonathan Chung 2011/09/30 02:08:55
    Jonathan Chung
    it really depends, if you only get 1 video game a year, (which is Very sad,) then Finish it, GET ADDICTED, but if you get 2 video games every month... then lets you could drop it if you don't get something or just HACK IT
  • shindogg 2011/09/17 06:10:30
    shindogg
    it really varies on the game. the harder the game is, the more likely i am to not finish as it frustrates the hell outta me. games where its not so much about 'kill or be killed' or 'solve this puzzle in this amount of time' but rather 'take your time and have fun' are the games im most likely to finish. not only that, but games i truly enjoy i will want to play more of and search crazy for add-ons or mods to make it more interestin so to keep me from bein bored.
  • Stavros Derion 2011/09/15 16:52:46
    Stavros Derion
    I do play many video games, I finished them all till now!
  • Savannah :) 2011/09/06 22:47:04
    Savannah :)
    I dont play another video game until I have finished my current one.
    But i have a bad anger problem, and if a game pisses me off then I wont play it for months XD
    >_> i think that the game will feel bad and become easier XD
  • Jamessss Savanna... 2012/01/10 01:19:32
    Jamessss
    ahaha thts cool
  • Savanna... Jamessss 2012/01/19 03:53:45
    Savannah :)
    It takes me awhile to finish a game tho >.< lol
  • Allera 2011/09/01 15:28:31
    Allera
    who wouldn't
  • Yoru Azenia 2011/09/01 14:02:51
    Yoru Azenia
    I finish all of my games and continue to enjoy the replay value XD
  • charles 2011/08/24 18:32:23
  • buddy1348 2011/08/23 23:47:39
    buddy1348
    I hate it when people call themselves "gamers" and never finish or even start the single player story.
  • No
    ✩Batman's✩Epic✩Understudy✩
    If it gets too hard, I give up and then pass out in bed because I'm to frustrated to stay awake
  • Dan Aptekar 2011/08/23 16:35:06
    Dan Aptekar
    Except Halo though the game was Boring and redundant. Hopefully Role playing games will not continue the Halo Lake of fun. I returned mine and got something better.
  • Erii 2011/08/23 16:26:14
    Erii
    I have to get EVERY SINGLE ACHIEVMENT. Even if it means redoing the game many times. Red Dead Redemption was definitely the best game of 2010, my dad (who is 45) actually finished before me, and he works over 12 hours a day. I myself can only play on weekends and weekdays after 6 PM, and yet I have no problem being able to play through games completely
  • NilyKaiNeko 2011/08/23 03:55:03
    NilyKaiNeko
    The only game I play is only Perfect World. I got my veno to 84, my cleric is 70... The really high levels sound hard o.O
  • H-Dizzle 2011/08/23 00:34:37
    H-Dizzle
    It will usually have to be a really good game for me to even buy cause when I play, I am totally addicted to it till I finish it!
    Sure do!
  • SebaTheSociallyAwkwardPenguin 2011/08/22 17:01:29
    SebaTheSociallyAwkwardPenguin
    too lazy XD
  • overdog001 2011/08/22 14:17:50
    overdog001
    +1
    The games I like most have no "finish".
  • lucky 2011/08/22 12:42:27 (edited)
    lucky
    But i hate online multiplayer games so maybe thats why.
  • d guy 2011/08/22 12:23:31
    d guy
    yes. i do finish a game when ever i play it because i am that kind of guy when he is front of my computer i am glued and even forget to eat.
  • Saint_Dee 2011/08/22 10:55:32
    Saint_Dee
    I finish all the games that I play that compel me to do so with creative and unique gameplay design or their depth in storyline...
  • victoria 2011/08/22 07:34:08
    victoria
    It wouldn't be the end of the world if u didn't finish it

2014/07/31 20:00:27