Do you find that most regular TV programing is just garbage?

the_old_coach 2010/12/14 00:18:08
Related Topics: Reality Show, SodaHead, TV

I cannot fathom the world of regular TV. The reality show shtick is terrible. The produced shows are lacking intelligent, original writing, casting, production values, and so on from what I see, though I readily admit that I don't really watch regular TV (I don't have the time or the inclination if I did have the time), only the news channels and select sporting shows. I find that most TV shows these days are just garbage.

What say you, SodaHeads?

• Beer30 2010/12/15 10:17:04
    Beer30
    +1
    When the installer set up my satellite dish, I requested the local channels.

Don't know why I bothered,,,,
  • Nadrasta 2010/12/15 06:49:56
    Nadrasta
    +1
    I only turn my T.V. on to play video games. I'll occasionally turn it on to watch Syfy or a documentry that interests me on the History channel but that's as far as I'll go. Everything I watch is online.
  • big d 2010/12/15 05:37:01
    big d
    +1
    i only watch tha football channel, i love the 80's, & i love the 90's when they show it other then that nothing is worh seeing
  • MkB 2010/12/15 05:15:33
    MkB
    +1
    I like 2 and a half men but I don't bust my butt to watch it. That's it on network tv. Some programs on cable are entertaining. I generally watch movie channels and cable news.
  • Kalayaan 001 2010/12/14 19:53:12 (edited)
    Kalayaan 001
    +1
    Same here.

That's why I rarely watch T.V. anymore. I use the Internet or read instead. It seems that the best programs were made years ago.

rarely watch internet read programs years rurouni kenshin poster
    I remember watching a dub of this back in the Philippines around 1997, so it was made
  • Vezman 2010/12/14 17:44:49
    Vezman
    +1
    I hate reality TV, and sports on TV even sucks with all the commercials they put on now.
  • chaoskitty123 2010/12/14 16:32:38
    chaoskitty123
    +1
    I just recently got satellite tv again and the local channels, I don't even bother with as they're ten times worse than national networks.

The channels I have found that I enjoy most are the ones that stick to theme... channels like the Military Channel which even though I have no affinity for anything military in a modern sense, they present a lot of programs in a historic sense which I do enjoy.

Channels like MTV I avoid like a plague because there's almost nothing on that network relating to music and if I had to rate the bottom of the barrel, they would be it.

SyFy at least tries to remain loyal to their theme but the programming is terrible as production quality isn't much better than the MTV reality shows for most of their programs..

Chiller is like SyFy's dimwitted little brother where together they might make a great Dark Fantasy channel but apart, they have to fill up airspace and what they fill it up with is mostly garbage.

The channels I stick with more than any are History related because even the cartoon channels have nothing but garbage on them... why does the Cartoon Network need more than one channel when if you put the best of both on one network you'd have a great channel... but split the good stuff over two channels and fill in the rest with garbag...

The channels I stick with more than any are History related because even the cartoon channels have nothing but garbage on them... why does the Cartoon Network need more than one channel when if you put the best of both on one network you'd have a great channel... but split the good stuff over two channels and fill in the rest with garbage... both become garbage.

My overall view of tv is that it's garbage as there are few production values, the networks seem to be putting the lowest production standards into what they offer and local channels have become like AM radio... some like it, most don't.
  • w2xad 2010/12/14 16:09:45
    w2xad
    +1
    It is not garbage! It IS just plain KAA KAA POO!
  • george 2010/12/14 15:59:55
    george
    +1
    For the most part yeah.
    There are a few which I do keep up with.
    Fringe is fun. It is rather alternative with parallel universes and fringe sciences being explored.
    Human Target is very action movie. Nick of time escapes and rescues constantly.
    Breaking Bad is, I think, the best thing on tv. The writing, acting, production, you name it...
    Misfits on e4. A UK programme I think. At least I spelled it that way.

tv writing acting production misfits e4 uk programme spelled fringe
    tv writing acting production misfits e4 uk programme spelled human tarhet
    tv writing acting production misfits e4 uk programme spelled breaking bad
    tv writing acting production misfits e4 uk programme spelled misfits e4
  • Captain Kirk~POTL 2010/12/14 06:01:29
    Captain Kirk~POTL
    +2
    It definitely is nothing but garbage!!
  • Walt 2010/12/14 05:10:32
    Walt
    +3
    On my over 250 channels, usually I have a hard time finding anything good to watch. It saves time to immediately go to what's been recorded on the DVR and watch the programming it has been told to grab for me.
  • MortelP... Walt 2010/12/14 06:11:46
    MortelPetales
    +2
    250 channels my god that's lot.
  • Walt MortelP... 2010/12/14 06:29:59
    Walt
    +2
    Yes and it's pointless, since there isn't much to watch.
  • MortelP... Walt 2010/12/14 07:10:56 (edited)
    MortelPetales
    +1
    Yeah and some of those channels if I had them would get me thinking ..why, why does this channel even exist..?!

They need to make a an all (insert decade of choice, I choose the 70's). Where they play all movies in that time...or shows and even news from that time. Comercials from that time as if it was a flashback like the real thing. Educational an fun to me. I'd watch or subscribe to it. If they don't already have it.
  • Walt MortelP... 2010/12/14 08:04:47
    Walt
    +2
    There's one channel devoted to golf, two others to horse racing and another one that is 100% ancient, obscure western reruns all the time. There are about a dozen channels broadcast in Spanish and I don't speak much Spanish. There are about half a dozen HSN-type channels. There are too many pointless channels that I have blocked.

I have one favorites listing that's nothing but educational channels, but after watching those channels for a couple of years, I've seen almost all of the material. Sometimes I think there's something new coming on, but after watching a few minutes of it, I realize they've chopped up the same film footage, rearranged it, re-narrated it, renamed it, and called it a new program. The best educational programs that contain new material are the documentaries on escaped fugitives on the run that almost got away, people who mysteriously went missing, and "Locked Up Abroad."
  • MortelP... Walt 2010/12/14 08:20:54 (edited)
    MortelPetales
    Oooh "Locked Up Abroad" sounds interesting. My mom felt the same way also when she got a particular channel.l..ater canceled it. Devoted to golf..that's one way to bore the hell out of me make me watch that.

I used to watch Discovery channel, some crime or forensic science show ..or True Crime...I don't have cable nor a tv right now..haven't in a couple years. But I also used to watch stupid shows reality shows back then too..o.O
  • Beer30 Walt 2010/12/15 10:11:58
    Beer30
    +2
    I do much the same thing. I prerecord what's interesting to me, usually History Channel, Discovery, TLC or some of the cable news talking heads.

When it's recorded, I can replay it later, zap the commercials, or skip it altogether.
  • Walt Beer30 2010/12/15 18:41:18
    Walt
    +2
    My only problem with my DVR is it only holds 100 hours of programming, so I have to remember to delete what Dish Network calls timers when I'm not interested in something anymore.
  • Lynn 2010/12/14 05:06:56 (edited)
    Lynn
    +2
    Yes.

I'd rather watch a 'How Its Made' marathon on the Discovery channel than anything on regular network TV.
  • Ms Missy 2010/12/14 03:47:26
    Ms Missy
    +1
    I don't now coach, I never have time to watch TV anymore!
  • Merl 2010/12/14 03:43:54
    Merl
    +2
    All TV programing I found as garbage four years ago that is the reason I have turned off the TV since.
  • Arizona1950 2010/12/14 03:33:04
    Arizona1950
    +1
    Yep, but its all I can get. :-/
  • Gregaj7 2010/12/14 03:32:47
    +1
    The shows I pay attention to:
    Hawaii 5-0
    NCIS (both)
    Nikita
    Burn Notice (KKTV 11.2)
    Leverage (dvd)
  • wolf sloan 2010/12/14 03:23:22 (edited)
    wolf sloan
    +3
    so true. Even the decent ones are jumping the shark
  • Diana 2010/12/14 03:16:22
    Diana
    +1
    I agree with you 100%.I like the old variety shows,Carol Burnett,Dean Martin.Today is all garbage.
    It's sex and violence.People seemed to have low morality and low values.
  • the_old... Diana 2010/12/14 05:36:36
  • MortelP... the_old... 2010/12/14 06:12:48
    MortelPetales
    I remember that clip from Nick at Night or some channel Gone With the Wind spoof lol....
  • Diana the_old... 2010/12/14 13:31:57
    Diana
    I remember that so well.To this day when I see it I laugh my head off.
  • Spider20 2010/12/14 02:51:58
    Spider20
    +1
    Can't really say....we're cable-challenged...
  • Gun665 2010/12/14 02:28:38
  • Angelique ~ Pfffft! ;)~ 2010/12/14 01:37:47
    Angelique ~ Pfffft!  ;)~
    +2
    The kids are missing cable but we've all benefited from it's loss.
  • , 2010/12/14 01:30:09
    ,
    +1
    anything from mtv
  • JDLogan 2010/12/14 01:09:30
    JDLogan
    +3
    I think so much of what is on TV today is garbage, that I have canceled cable service; I can watch weather and news and the kids can watch PBS on free TV, and maybe with fewer channels, they will find better things to do more often.
  • keeper 2010/12/14 01:03:13
    keeper
    +3
    I dropped the DISH network, and about the only thing i miss is the sports... but I can follow them on the computer...
  • lauren2061 2010/12/14 00:48:23
    lauren2061
    +4
    I heartily agree with you old coach. So glad you had the hutzpah to post this one.
  • Icarus 2010/12/14 00:28:06
    Icarus
    +5
    Garbage it is.

2014/11/01 05:34:48