Do you eat your boogers?

Ves~Sailor Soldier of PHAET 2008/12/15 07:22:11
Yes, I am guilty and have eaten a few here and there.
Ew! No, that is gross and I do not eat them at all.
Yes I pick, but no I dont eat.
Do you still pick your nose and eat your boogers? Here is something interesting for those of you who think EW!

The Benefits of Booger eating:

Ok, so now that we've established nearly everyone in the entire world that has a nose and at least one finger has picked their nose, we can proceed with the other fact that most of those people have even eaten at least one of their boogers. (I won't lie. I remember the disgust-inducing habit from my youth.) Usually booger eating is reserved for early childhood before the child is socialized and realizes that #1 it's disgusting to most and #2 no one wants to be friends with a known booger-picker/eater. With that said, many have never heard that booger-eating is actually good for you.

According to Austrian lung specialist Dr. Friedrich Bischinger, picking your nose and eating what you find is one of the best (and most inexpensive) ways of staying healthy. The doc goes on to say that people who pick their noses with their fingers were healthier, happier and probably better in-tune with their bodies. "With the finger you can get to places you just can't reach with a handkerchief, keeping your nose far cleaner," adds Dr. Bischinger.

I'm not really here to take sides on the matter. I'm here rather to show that there is, in fact, another side to the issue which rarely anyone thinks actually exists. Booger picking, let alone eating, is condemned among children and definitely among adults but did you know that the inside of the nose is covered in tiny little hairs called cilia? This nasal cilia all along the nostrils is in place to catch dirt, germs and other debris sucked up through the breathing process. The mucous, known in lay terms as 'snot', covers the cilia and other parts of the nasal passages. Mucous is made to protect us by stopping harmful agents from invading our bodies. It is made of antiseptic enzymes and immunoglobulin (antibodies produced for a specific body function) that keep those harmful agents from infiltrating our lungs. If they did not, our lungs would be in pretty bad shape and we would be ill much of the time.

The mucous then dries to the inside of the nose, anytime really, but more noticeably at night while we are sleeping. The result is hardened mucous, dead skin cells, shed cilia, germs, dirt and debris (stopped in their tracks mind you). The hardened mucous concoction is what makes up your average, every-day booger.

Dr. Bischinger even goes so far as to say, "Eating the dry remains of what you pull out is a great way of strengthening the body's immune system."

With that now explained, scientifically speaking boogers do have an immune-system boosting effect as the doctor mentioned. Mucous alone contains an antiseptic and antibodies. Think of it as a souped-up Listerine for the lungs and digestive system. The germs contained in the booger are basically already dead or extremely weakened... much like the viruses and other various diseases contained in vaccines.

Once that is eaten, the body absorbs those agents and builds up even more antibodies to protect itself from these invisible invaders. "Medically it makes great sense and is a perfectly natural thing to do... When this mixture arrives in the intestines it works just like a medicine. Modern medicine is constantly trying to do the same thing through far more complicated methods," Dr. Bischinger notes. "People who pick their nose and eat it get a natural boost to their immune system for free."

It's possible that children who eat their own nose gold, may in fact grow up to have stronger bodies due to their fighting immune systems. That could save us all quite a bit of money in terms of our own medical bills, those of our children's and as far as taxes for other medical programs as well, but then again, this is only the speculation of a reformed booger-eater who very rarely 'catches' illnesses and who has never had an ear infection or the flu. Dr. Bischinger even recommends a new approach where children are encouraged to pick their nose. "It is a completely natural response and medically a good idea as well," he adds.

So the next time you catch someone picking their nose, despite your personal opinions on the matter, just think to yourself that while this person may be socially inept in some ways, at least they have a top-notch immune system.

published Feb 08, 2007

• SeanD 2010/01/02 04:43:50
    Yes I pick, but no I dont eat.
    SeanD
    +3
    Maybe I can start bottling my snot and selling it as medicine? Do you think that if you ate MY boogers, it would help YOUR immune system? Have I been flicking my fortune away by not selling "nose gold" to the masses? I could just directly shoot it into your mouth, if you want to go "green" and save the bottling process. Snot-shot-rocket-immune-booster could be the name. $5 and I'll blow my nose onto your waiting tongue! I'll even sniff some cinnamon before so it will have a little SPICE! MMMMMmmmmm.

• Ves~Sai... Gwynodd 2008/12/15 17:54:28
    Ves~Sailor Soldier of PHAET
    Lol, i love your answer. And it always makes my day. If im going at it, its usually in private...the best thing tho is having someone to flick it at lol JUST KIDDING! :oP
  • thakatc... Gwynodd 2008/12/20 19:01:25
  • conrman 2008/12/15 15:45:53 (edited)
    Yes I pick, but no I dont eat.
    conrman
    +1
    I keep the pipes clean, but, do not recycle the boogies.....

Always prefer tissue based availability.....

Fingers carry a great variety of bacteria, and the nose, is a very vascular allowing almost direct, access inside the body and like most orifices in the body,
    should remain exit only and unmolested......

Most any compound eaten, is broken down into basic components within the digestive system. I fail to see the benefit of booger eating, beyond basic nutritional value (very low in this case).
    I suggest a balanced meal as an alternative.
  • Ves~Sai... conrman 2008/12/15 17:47:11 (edited)
    Ves~Sailor Soldier of PHAET
    I have not heard of a case where someone died of booger eating, so the booger health value must not be dangerous. hehe
  • conrman Ves~Sai... 2008/12/15 19:25:57 (edited)
    conrman
    +1
    can you imagine the effect, of one of those flesh eating bacterias, taking root in the Ol' schnoz, just because of a picking frenzy.....or lack of snack bar closeby????

MJ was a booger eater ol schnoz picking frenzy snack bar closeby mj booger eater
  • Ves~Sai... conrman 2008/12/15 19:30:40
    Ves~Sailor Soldier of PHAET
    He was also a plastic surgeons play doll. He has had one too many face jobs and color jobs.

I was a booger eater and people are calling me hot, plus my face parts are all real *wink wink*
  • conrman Ves~Sai... 2008/12/15 20:05:51 (edited)
    conrman
    +1
    Living in Dallas (Plastic surgery capital of U.S.A.), one of our favorite pastimes, is a game I like to call real or fake. And the game never ends...........

I'd take a booger eater over a smoker....you don't smoke do you? LOL
  • Ves~Sai... conrman 2008/12/15 20:33:04
    Ves~Sailor Soldier of PHAET
    Lol, no sir, Im a smoke free lady never even gave it a try :oD lol

And i think i would like playing that game haha sounds like fun!
  • Deanna ... conrman 2008/12/15 19:35:26
  • artist1... conrman 2008/12/20 06:07:19
    artist1963-Progressive Patriot for Change
    God, he looks so SICK now. He'll probably die soon from all the crap he's done to himself. YECH!!!!!!
  • Heptarch 2008/12/15 13:55:59
    Heptarch
    +1
    Ok, that's just freaking disgusting. LOL
  • Ves~Sai... Heptarch 2008/12/15 17:45:59
    Ves~Sailor Soldier of PHAET
    There was probably a time or to, where you slipped one as a little itty bitty tyke. You know how babies and toddlers get, some of us have the finger glued to the nose lol
  • Heptarch Ves~Sai... 2008/12/15 17:59:36
    Heptarch
    +1
    Well I thought this question was a "do you eat them NOW" question. I'm quite certain I consumed a few *stomach turns to think about it* as a young child.
  • Ves~Sai... Heptarch 2008/12/15 18:05:22
    Ves~Sailor Soldier of PHAET
    +1
    Well yeah it is targeted for those who eat them now, don't eat them now, ate them when they were young. It seems like people are to nervous to admit a time when they did. Its ok, we won't cause booger hate rants :oP
  • Heptarch Ves~Sai... 2008/12/15 18:09:19
    Heptarch
    +1
    Yeah... well... I don't like thinking about the gross things I did as a kid. LOL
  • Ves~Sai... Heptarch 2008/12/15 18:16:36
    Ves~Sailor Soldier of PHAET
    Why not? It brings up fun memories and stories were people can get a laugh. My whole family talks about it around the holidays and it cracks every one up lol
  • Heptarch Ves~Sai... 2008/12/15 18:50:12
    Heptarch
    +1
    Well, I'm ok with some of those things. But the idea of eating boogers is just too gross. hehehe
  • Ves~Sai... Heptarch 2008/12/15 18:55:54
    Ves~Sailor Soldier of PHAET
    Awwwe you have a weak stomach :oP lol
  • Heptarch Ves~Sai... 2008/12/15 19:05:55
    Heptarch
    +1
    For boogers? Absolutely. =P
  • Josiah Stoltzfus 2008/12/15 13:22:16
    Josiah Stoltzfus
    +1
    Never been that hungry. My immune system doesn't really need a boost. I have almost never been sick. Never even had the chicjen pox - docto says I have a natural immunity!!
  • thakatc... Josiah ... 2008/12/20 06:24:33
  • Deanna (Cindy) 2008/12/15 12:05:41
  • Ves~Sai... Deanna ... 2008/12/15 17:44:21
    Ves~Sailor Soldier of PHAET
    +1
    lol, thats funny. I have no idea where or what the pot is suppose to symbolize. :oP
  • Deanna ... Ves~Sai... 2008/12/15 19:35:49
  • thakatc... Deanna ... 2008/12/20 06:29:41 (edited)
  • mark 1 2008/12/15 11:35:39
    mark 1
    +1
    Yes i have picked my nose but I cannot say from memory i have eaten it. I ask why would ya?
  • Ves~Sai... mark 1 2008/12/15 17:43:19
    Ves~Sailor Soldier of PHAET
    +1
    Well even if people do pick there nose, if they were to eat their boogers its actually not always intentional, some people are not aware of the act of doing it.
  • mark 1 Ves~Sai... 2008/12/15 19:28:07
    mark 1
    Hi, How can you not know it????????????????
  • Ves~Sai... mark 1 2008/12/15 19:48:14
    Ves~Sailor Soldier of PHAET
    +1
    People do have unconscious states and thoughts.

Such as when I have to go to the store after work, I never have to its automatic that I go straight home, then I get home and I realize I never went to the store when I knew I had too.

Or we get a bruise and have NO idea why or how we got it.

Get a cut and don't realize your bleeding.
  • mark 1 Ves~Sai... 2008/12/15 20:34:13
    mark 1
    Picking your noise and then eating it I would think is A conscious thought, No? It is like premeditated snacking. First you pick then you snack 
  • Ves~Sai... mark 1 2008/12/15 20:47:49
    Ves~Sailor Soldier of PHAET
    People who have a runny nose for example will use their sleeve to wipe it away, and I never paid attention to my actions of that until my mom would say "Heather use a tissue!" well my sleeve was more convenient. As a kid eating their booger, it can be a thoughtless action because eating it is just convenient. Why think about it?
  • mark 1 Ves~Sai... 2008/12/15 20:37:31
    mark 1
    +1
    Also i would think cleaning your nose is a better term for what i did. You had me thinking about this for 1/2 the day. What were you thinking when you came up with this Q? :)
  • Ves~Sai... mark 1 2008/12/15 20:44:13
    Ves~Sailor Soldier of PHAET
    I was picking my nose and then i was like hey wait a min! I can ask other people if they pick their nose and i thought about adding the benefits of eating lol

Glad to know you spent half a day thinking about this lol
  • Gorky 2008/12/15 10:45:24
    Gorky
    +1
    I can honestly say that I have never eaten a snot knowingly.............I used to pick my nose on occasion when I was much younger but I cut the inside of my nostril and it caused an infection and I will never do that again. I caught a guy about 50 years old picking his nose and eating his snot while he was waiting for his wife in a JC Penny dressing room.............He saw me looking at him and all I said was....." Nice.....really nice." When my significant other came out of the dressing room............I pointed right at this guy and made mention to her of his snot munching within ear shot of him...........His face was all red and I was thourghly disgusted...........
  • Ves~Sai... Gorky 2008/12/15 17:40:41
    Ves~Sailor Soldier of PHAET
    You were thoroughly disgusted, but that dude is probably healthy too. If i see someone do it, i just giggle a little and thats about it.
  • Flowerbomb 2008/12/15 09:36:52
    Flowerbomb
    Even my 2 year old knows better and asks for "tis soo" when he has a little cold.
  • Stone Man 2008/12/15 07:43:20
  • Peggy 2008/12/15 07:28:24
    Peggy
    At what age is this so gross a person knows better? Ilk!
  • Ves~Sai... Peggy 2008/12/15 07:30:01
    Ves~Sailor Soldier of PHAET
    +1
    I dunno, but I do have one hell of a fantastic immune system. (I never get sick) I had my chicken pox and thats been it.

2014/04/19 09:38:21