Do you eat your boogers?

Ves~Sailor Soldier of PHAET 2008/12/15 07:22:11
Yes, I am guilty and have eaten a few here and there.
Ew! No, that is gross and I do not eat them at all.
Yes I pick, but no I dont eat.
Do you still pick your nose and eat your boogers? Here is something interesting for those of you who think EW!

The Benefits of Booger eating:

Ok, so now that we've established nearly everyone in the entire world that has a nose and at least one finger has picked their nose, we can proceed with the other fact that most of those people have even eaten at least one of their boogers. (I won't lie. I remember the disgust-inducing habit from my youth.) Usually booger eating is reserved for early childhood before the child is socialized and realizes that #1 it's disgusting to most and #2 no one wants to be friends with a known booger-picker/eater. With that said, many have never heard that booger-eating is actually good for you.

According to Austrian lung specialist Dr. Friedrich Bischinger, picking your nose and eating what you find is one of the best (and most inexpensive) ways of staying healthy. The doc goes on to say that people who pick their noses with their fingers were healthier, happier and probably better in-tune with their bodies. "With the finger you can get to places you just can't reach with a handkerchief, keeping your nose far cleaner," adds Dr. Bischinger.

I'm not really here to take sides on the matter. I'm here rather to show that there is, in fact, another side to the issue which rarely anyone thinks actually exists. Booger picking, let alone eating, is condemned among children and definitely among adults but did you know that the inside of the nose is covered in tiny little hairs called cilia? This nasal cilia all along the nostrils is in place to catch dirt, germs and other debris sucked up through the breathing process. The mucous, known in lay terms as 'snot', covers the cilia and other parts of the nasal passages. Mucous is made to protect us by stopping harmful agents from invading our bodies. It is made of antiseptic enzymes and immunoglobulin (antibodies produced for a specific body function) that keep those harmful agents from infiltrating our lungs. If they did not, our lungs would be in pretty bad shape and we would be ill much of the time.

The mucous then dries to the inside of the nose, anytime really, but more noticeably at night while we are sleeping. The result is hardened mucous, dead skin cells, shed cilia, germs, dirt and debris (stopped in their tracks mind you). The hardened mucous concoction is what makes up your average, every-day booger.

Dr. Bischinger even goes so far as to say, "Eating the dry remains of what you pull out is a great way of strengthening the body's immune system."

With that now explained, scientifically speaking boogers do have an immune-system boosting effect as the doctor mentioned. Mucous alone contains an antiseptic and antibodies. Think of it as a souped-up Listerine for the lungs and digestive system. The germs contained in the booger are basically already dead or extremely weakened... much like the viruses and other various diseases contained in vaccines.

Once that is eaten, the body absorbs those agents and builds up even more antibodies to protect itself from these invisible invaders. "Medically it makes great sense and is a perfectly natural thing to do... When this mixture arrives in the intestines it works just like a medicine. Modern medicine is constantly trying to do the same thing through far more complicated methods," Dr. Bischinger notes. "People who pick their nose and eat it get a natural boost to their immune system for free."

It's possible that children who eat their own nose gold, may in fact grow up to have stronger bodies due to their fighting immune systems. That could save us all quite a bit of money in terms of our own medical bills, those of our children's and as far as taxes for other medical programs as well, but then again, this is only the speculation of a reformed booger-eater who very rarely 'catches' illnesses and who has never had an ear infection or the flu. Dr. Bischinger even recommends a new approach where children are encouraged to pick their nose. "It is a completely natural response and medically a good idea as well," he adds.

So the next time you catch someone picking their nose, despite your personal opinions on the matter, just think to yourself that while this person may be socially inept in some ways, at least they have a top-notch immune system.

published Feb 08, 2007

• SeanD 2010/01/02 04:43:50
    Yes I pick, but no I dont eat.
    SeanD
    +3
    Maybe I can start bottling my snot and selling it as medicine? Do you think that if you ate MY boogers, it would help YOUR immune system? Have I been flicking my fortune away by not selling "nose gold" to the masses? I could just directly shoot it into your mouth, if you want to go "green" and save the bottling process. Snot-shot-rocket-immune-booster could be the name. $5 and I'll blow my nose onto your waiting tongue! I'll even sniff some cinnamon before so it will have a little SPICE! MMMMMmmmmm.

• trap flapper 2013/01/10 14:08:00
    trap flapper
    +1
    Eat Burgers?? Why yes, I eat burgers at least three times a week. I love them when they are grilled and crispy on the edges....put them in a bun with ketchup, mustard and maybe a tomato slice....there is nothing better than a fresh hot burger......

What?? Boogers??? Oh, that's a completely different story. Nevermind.
    +1
    such an appetizing question just before breakfast !
  • Vitalani 2013/01/10 01:32:58 (edited)
    Vitalani
    +1
    Used to eat them intentionally all the time, now I just eat them the same way everyone else does- down the back of my throat. EVERYONE consumeds their own mucus, it is a inescapable fact.

http://www.ask.com/answers/28...
  • betz 2013/01/09 23:46:31
    betz
    +1
    All I can tell you is the captain of our high school football team did. He was so cute and quite popular but had this one major flaw.
  • Lizard King 2013/01/09 22:44:14 (edited)
  • Vitalani Lizard ... 2013/01/10 01:35:01
  • Billy the kid 2012/11/15 17:13:07
    Billy the kid
    Yuck!!!
    The mere idea....!! cat looking sick
  • Jordan 2012/07/07 07:16:41
    Yes I pick, but no I dont eat.
    Jordan
    the 'OWNLY' reason i pick my nose is that i cant really breath throw my mouth very well (problems breathing sometimes) so i pick my nose to clean it out to help breath trough my nose.
  • SeanD 2010/01/02 04:43:50
    Yes I pick, but no I dont eat.
    SeanD
    +3
  • thakatchaser 2008/12/20 06:19:03
  • Ves~Sai... thakatc... 2008/12/20 06:25:06
    Ves~Sailor Soldier of PHAET
    lol, well i bet he bummed up his immune system pretty well then.
  • thakatc... Ves~Sai... 2008/12/20 06:26:53
  • Ves~Sai... thakatc... 2008/12/20 06:28:19
    Ves~Sailor Soldier of PHAET
    Boogers weren't all that bad then :oP You have yourself a good night :o)
  • artist1963-Progressive Patr... 2008/12/20 05:56:13
    artist1963-Progressive Patriot for Change
    +1
    I have had to"pick" in certain situations when no tissue around or when I was desperate and had no choice. It makes me sick just thinking abut it....ugh!!!!! Or the ultimate nasty is when you're in the car and it ALWAYS happens to me in the car on a busy street when you gotta hack a lugie and it comes up but you can't pull over to spit it out. You sure as hell don't want to swallow it again so you "hold it" until you find a place to do the "nasty" in private.
    Life is so much fun.
  • Ves~Sai... artist1... 2008/12/20 06:00:37
    Ves~Sailor Soldier of PHAET
    +1
    Oh I huck it anyway lol So if one happens to hit your car one day, I am sorry lol
  • artist1... Ves~Sai... 2008/12/20 06:03:56
    +1
    LOL!!!! I am so squeamish, I can't help it. Anal retentive is my middle name!!!!
  • Ves~Sai... artist1... 2008/12/20 06:13:51
    Ves~Sailor Soldier of PHAET
    My middle name is Alpha, nice to meet you Anal retentive. lol
  • artist1... Ves~Sai... 2008/12/20 06:15:45
    +1
    You're funny!!!!!!
  • Ves~Sai... artist1... 2008/12/20 06:24:36
    Ves~Sailor Soldier of PHAET
    Hehe thanks. Now im tired though lol Time for bed. You have a good night and ttys :o)
  • thakatc... artist1... 2008/12/20 06:38:14
  • artist1... thakatc... 2008/12/20 06:38:51
    Hmmmm?
  • Leantom, the Economic Ratio... 2008/12/16 08:54:16
    Leantom, the Economic Rationalist
    +3
    No, I've never eaten my buggers. However, I was always a breast-addict. When I was a two-year-old boy, I would chase my aunt (who had large breasts) around the house shouting, "Breasts, breasts, breasts!"
  • thakatc... Leantom... 2008/12/20 06:20:57
  • Jim Leantom... 2010/12/02 01:43:15
    Jim
    +5
    I either don't have a very good memory or I was weaned early on. I can remember my granny telling me to get a diaper but can't remember breast feeding. Either that or I was a late potty trainer????????????????????
  • Leantom... Jim 2010/12/02 01:56:48
  • Ace~Mr.Giantess~ 2008/12/16 00:45:18
    Ace~Mr.Giantess~
    +1
    Yes I do :)
  • Ves~Sai... Ace~Mr.... 2008/12/16 01:04:18
    Ves~Sailor Soldier of PHAET
    +1
    Lol, thank you :o)
  • Ace~Mr.... Ves~Sai... 2008/12/16 01:05:23
    Ace~Mr.Giantess~
    +1
    You're welcome :)
  • tallChristian 2008/12/15 23:50:38
    tallChristian
    +2
    It really is one of those things where you really want to take the fifth on the subject.
  • Ves~Sai... tallChr... 2008/12/15 23:55:26
    Ves~Sailor Soldier of PHAET
    +1
    Lol, I know it is. But its ok to voice yourself hehe :oP
  • thakatc... tallChr... 2008/12/20 06:21:53
  • 666 n my heart® 2008/12/15 18:18:57
    666 n my heart®
    Dude, thats the sickest thing ever. I do pick and thats gross enough. I pick cause I Can't blow cause it pops my ears and I get headaches from it... Eat a booger, man thats nasty...
  • Ves~Sai... 666 n m... 2008/12/15 18:24:05 (edited)
    Ves~Sailor Soldier of PHAET
    +1
    Out of all the things in the world that a human can do, that is far from the sickest. IMO
  • 666 n m... Ves~Sai... 2008/12/15 18:37:25
    666 n my heart®
    tru. but yuk.
  • Ves~Sai... 666 n m... 2008/12/15 18:55:19
    Ves~Sailor Soldier of PHAET
    +1
    lol yeah.
  • thakatc... Ves~Sai... 2008/12/21 01:39:06
  • thakatc... 666 n m... 2008/12/20 06:28:06
  • Vitalani 666 n m... 2013/01/10 01:34:43
  • Ves~Sailor Soldier of PHAET 2008/12/15 17:53:00
    Ves~Sailor Soldier of PHAET
    +1
    I highly doubt anyone can be positive they never ate one. We can only remember so far back in our childhood. And from what I remember I am guilty. I think some people are scared to admit it. So what, you can all ew me and say its gross, but I know you all done it! I see babies, toddlers, young kids, all doing it. And yes! Every now and then I see an ADULT doing it! *gasps* hehe. But to all those booger haters (jk) I have a great immune system, so maybe there is something going on there. My parents and brothers always get sick, people at work always catch a cold or the flue, while I have yet had something penetrate my immunity wall. And I do not need to knock on wood. lol I admit it, you caught me red handed, I'm guilty of forking a few, but yes I am now a handy tissue user.
  • Gwynodd 2008/12/15 17:50:28 (edited)
    Gwynodd
    +1
    This question just made my day - thanks. I'm sure as a child I picked my nose but truely I don't remember. I do get the biggest kick out of seeing the little tikes with their fingers up their nose but I don't think they realize what they are doing. It's like their thinking really hard about something but they have to have their finger up their nose to come to some decision. LOL

Isn't it great tho when you stop at a red light or stop sign and the person in the next car is going at it like there is no tomorrow. Pretty sight - uh??

2014/07/24 13:07:11