Do you dislike movies or TV shows that portray your country in a bad light?

Yosyp 2012/04/13 19:33:32
For example, Slum dog millionaire... a couple of my Indian friends told me they hate that movie because of how it showing the slums of India.

We have slums too, I'm not picking on India.

Does it bother you that the world sees bad things in your nation ?

• Happy_Evil_Dude 2012/04/13 21:49:40
    Happy_Evil_Dude
    +2
    Being partly of Indian origin, Slumdog Millionaire didn't bother me in the slightest. Being also partly French, the number of movies showing stupid/bad things about France doesn't bother me either. Etc...

It would bother me if people have contrived, narrow-minded opinions about a country, be it the US, France, India or wherever, but I have no problem whatsoever with a movie showing an unpleasant side of a country for the purpose of telling the story it has to tell.
  • Freeranger 2012/04/13 21:34:36
    Freeranger
    Truthfully? Probably so. Yet, in the same sentence, perhaps the question becomes whether or not you love your country and dislike seeing it portrayed negatively? I'd have to plead guilty. I love my country and raised my hand on two separate occasions, serving in two branches of the military.
    I've never taken my country, nor my freedom for granted.

Semper Fi

2014/09/01 11:17:42