Do intellegent people listen to Heavy Metal?

RV ~ The Peacekeeper of PHAET 2009/12/22 22:32:40
Related Topics: Music, Rock
A recent survey from the University of Warwick says that highly talented pupil prefer listening to rock and heavy metal music.

The responsible psychologist Stuart Cadwallader presented the results on a conference of the British Psychological Society in York. He asked with his team over 1000 members of the National Academy for Gifted and Talented Youth, an organization, which select only the 5% best british pupils between 11 and 19 years.

More than a third named heavy metal as one of their favourite music genre. Therewith Heavy Metal is in in a dead heat with Rock and Pop.
Cadwallader explaines, that high talented pupils mainly listen to violent and provocative music, thusly:"Maybe some talented people are very pressurised and need the music to vent their´s emotions."

To what extent the taste of music tells something about the IQ of the test persons, the survey doesn´t expaine...

So what do you think about this? Tell me your opnion!!!

(Sorry for maybe some mistakes. i had to translate the whole text from german into english.)

http://www.laut.de/vorlaut/news/2007/03/22/14760/index.htm

• Bruno 2011/08/13 18:15:52
    Bruno
    +7
    Metal music, specially death metal, is appealing to smart people because it is much more technical then any other kind of music and has some of it's bases in classical music. It's a style that requires real musical study in order to create and perform, and if you happen to find it pleasant you can learn simply from playing it ( if you're smart and can connect the dots ). Pop and Hip hop songs can be achieved within 5 minutes with a computer and contain no real musical value or talent.
    Listening to good metal challenges your brain to process a lot more notes and melodies within more complex compositions in a short period of time, since it usually has a fast tempo.
    Smart people do like other forms of music I guess. At the end of the day music can be just entertainment, not something to challenge your brain all the time.
    But you know how it's like, once you start driving your car/bike/tricycle you don't wanna have to walk anymore, right?

@revin - Of course smart people just think about what to invent or discover. What do you think music is? Smart people who like music will eventually be involved in developing their own music, discovering this and that and inventing melodies that invoke a wide variety of thoughts. Smart people aren't usually bystanders you know?

• XAngelOf DarknessX 2013/12/09 22:56:22
  • lazarus 2013/05/03 09:29:58
    lazarus
    +3
    first of all, i'd say it depends upon whether or not the listener is an auditory/visual or kinestetic learner. after, the capacity and speed at which information can be learned by the brain is what intelligence is (there is also the ability to create but im not gonna get into that). in my opion (and this is coming from someone who listens to almost nothing but metal) there is alot of metal that is no more complicated or rich in texture than pop music is (some of it less i'm sure) the difference being that instead of listening to pop and having
    the urge to drink and dance/grind on people or what not, its the urge to throw yourself violent against another in a mosh pit while being drunk. i would say that listening to complicated technical metal and being able to quickly process the notes is a sign of intelligence but im also sure there are alot of genius level people to like to listen to really soft music in order to unwind.
  • dimitri 2011/11/03 01:58:01
  • Bruno 2011/08/13 18:15:52
    Bruno
    +7

• revin 2011/05/26 19:43:18
    revin
    +3
    oh yea?thats's totally lie because smart people never care about songs or people they just think about what to invent or discover....that's all,my name is revin bayiz im a hot sexy girl add me innocent_cat @hotmail.com
  • Marc 2011/03/05 21:03:49
    Marc
    +4
    It really depends on the metal you listen too....the smart ones like alot of viking metal and some black metal, and not to mention death metal. Besides they lyrics are more intelligent than hip hop or rap....
  • Alex 2010/10/05 09:22:29
    Alex
    +2
    hell yeah....
    every kind of people could listen this music..
  • ♥ Emily the "Cutie Banana P... 2010/09/22 01:24:06
    ♥ Emily the "Cutie Banana Pie" ♥
    +2
    I'm intelligent! =D
  • Arabian.Queen. 2010/09/22 00:28:41
    Arabian.Queen.
    +2
    hellll no!.
    THAT MUSIC SUX
  • abhishek Arabian... 2010/11/25 16:41:41
    abhishek
    +4
    you suck ..long live heavy Metal
  • jeffro5... Arabian... 2011/01/23 20:56:56
    jeffro56700
    +4
    yeah... you suck, metal rules
  • Carl Ato Arabian... 2011/10/07 16:08:42
    Carl Ato
    +4
    It's an obvious proven fact that more people who listen to metal are more intellegent than hip hop and rap listeners. Not truly 100% true with everyone. Some might be more sophisticated and smart but when you think about pop, hip hop, and rap, the words they use is slang. Words that aren't apart of the english vocabulary. This puts it into many peoples mind that those are some real words that should be said, and to simply look cool. With metal music the singer use words that are sophisticated and it's more to comprehend than with mainstream music. Mainstream music listeners bash on metal because they can't understand and cope with it. That right there says enough.
  • Kristia... Arabian... 2012/08/20 19:00:33
    Kristian Unsworth
    +3
    Proves your Intelligence when you can't even spell the word "Sucks".
  • Lisandra Arabian... 2012/10/28 15:56:46
    Lisandra
    +4
    So does your spelling and grammar, which proves the articles point.
  • Ron Bur... Arabian... 2013/11/03 21:32:09
    Ron Burgundy "Gentleman Lover"
    +1
    boooo!!
  • Future ... Arabian... 2013/11/03 21:34:07
    Future Timelord
    ...You're only proving this research correct. c:
  • usa 2010/09/20 22:43:05
    usa
    +1
    that type of music you get the most varied topics, from love to hate to war and evn religion. we pick up more from listening... i cant help but support seeing as thats pretty much what i listen to.;..
  • Inoka 2010/09/20 20:25:36
    Inoka
    +1
    YEAH!!!!!!!!!
  • Melian Nienor 2010/09/20 20:15:03
    Melian Nienor
    +2
    I'll agree because I love heavy metal(:
  • Mikey117 2010/09/20 20:13:53
    Mikey117
    +1
    hells yea my IQ is 120 and i listen to heavy metal a matter in fact i love it XP
  • *~кåιѕєяïη σƒ ѕтяαωвєяяÿ ριяα†єѕ~*
    +4
    Well, smart people tend to be more open minded to other forms type of things too.

Now, I'm going to rant at no one in particular/ the really annoying chick on the bus who tells me to turn my iPod down: *Psh, See, smart people listen to ear shattering metal >:P)
  • Kenji 2010/09/20 18:08:59
    Kenji
    +4
    ok... because I like metal I say "IT'S TRUE!!" :D
  • Poppa Blues 2010/09/20 17:50:10
    Poppa Blues
    +2
    I think smart people like a lot of things. Who is to say if you took a 1000 people at random you wouldn't have the same result? I happen to like heavy metal, and punk, rock, jazz, country, and reggae and even a couple of hip-hop tunes, some pop music and of course rhythm and blues, while I may not be a genius I'm not stupid!
  • Mecynogea 2010/09/19 23:50:09
    Mecynogea
    +5
    yaaay!
    im intelligent
    :)
  • DixieStardust 2010/09/19 23:19:59
    DixieStardust
    +2
    Yeah you could say that
  • Joe Finsternis 2010/09/19 22:45:13
    Joe Finsternis
    +3
    I would like to think so, considering that I'm a fan of metal.
  • invaderalexgetCRUNKorDIEXD 2010/09/19 20:38:11
    invaderalexgetCRUNKorDIEXD
    +3
    Im intelligent (WELL TO ME XD) and I listen to heavy metal!
  • James-The Pumpkin King 2010/09/19 19:27:09
    James-The Pumpkin King
    +1
    I'm intellegent-ish and I listen to heavy metal all the time
  • Alejandra 2010/09/19 18:55:35
    Alejandra
    +3
    Wow, my smartest friends and I love heavy metal..Very Cool..rap take that..
  • Kiki,Pixie,Worm 2010/09/19 17:36:17
    Kiki,Pixie,Worm
    +1
    I hate Heavy metal it gives me nightmares so I will have to go with nooooo. Classical music though sometimes makes you more smart.
  • Mecynogea Kiki,Pi... 2010/09/19 23:50:58
    Mecynogea
    +1
    i like metal and classical music :)
  • Kiki,Pi... Mecynogea 2010/09/20 00:15:41
    Kiki,Pixie,Worm
    :)
  • moonlight 2010/09/19 16:52:54
    moonlight
    +1
    well ...I agree =D
  • royalguardian ►One Hit Rage... 2010/09/19 16:49:34
    royalguardian ►One Hit Rage Quit◄ ♠ BTEF ♠
    +1
    :D that depends on ur definition of intelegence
  • BluEyes4Two 2010/09/19 16:49:13
    BluEyes4Two
    +1
    That's pretty cool
  • ☆The Rock☆ * AFCL* The Sheriff!!
    +2
    They sure do and I am one of them!
  • dragon warrior 2010/09/19 16:01:00
    dragon warrior
    +4
    I don't think a person's taste in music defines their intelligence.
  • Schwarz... dragon ... 2012/05/06 13:28:09
    SchwarzRitter
    +3
    Music helped Human Beings evolve, we Humans would not have gotten to this stage without Music, because with Music developed Culture, speaking Skills and in turn we became smarter. What I think we should do to become even smarter (and even if we don't force it on ourselves it will naturally occur, I feel) is to have less and less Emotions.

When I listen to Metal, (I like Heavy, Melodic Black/Death, Industrial, Technical Death, Progressive, Extreme, Experimental, Power, Symphonic and Gothic Metal) it feels so nice. Almost all of my friends listen to crap like pop, rap, or something. They think Metal is noisy (especially Technical Death or Extreme or Experimental) but this "Noise" is so soothing and calm to me. I find Order in this Chaos. The Music resonates with my Eardrum and it feels so Beautiful.
  • dragon ... Schwarz... 2012/05/06 15:03:59
    dragon warrior
    Very well said. I can relate to that, because I feel good when I'm listening to the music I love, like Paramore and Avenged Sevenfold.

And metal is not noisy. Even if it's not to everyone's taste, it's still music.
  • cynical 2010/08/30 04:38:31

2014/07/23 05:19:02