Do child beauty pageants sexualize children?

Daryl 2012/04/16 14:33:55
Yes child beauty pageants sexualize children
No child beauty pageants do not sexualize children

She is the breakout star of Toddlers & Tiaras, a show that saw mothers giving their daughters special 'go-go juice' to help them perform in pageants.
And it seems that Eden Wood was over-stimulated during a TV interview to promote her new reality show Eden's World.

Read More: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-21297...

• Daryl 2012/04/16 14:34:42
    Daryl
    +16
    This is repulsive and the best way to make it go away is to not watch it.

child beauty pageants sexualize children

• classicdisney1 2012/04/16 23:01:10
    classicdisney1
    +3
    Definitely! And it teaches kids that looks are everything when they are not. It also teaches kids that they can be brats and not have any manners whatsoever to their parents or other children and other adults. Plus, the adults could probably take wrong things from it.
  • Andjella ObeyYMCMB 2012/04/16 23:00:32
    Andjella  ObeyYMCMB
    +3
    I would sue the parents who allow their 5-year-old girls looking much older. This is very bad and I see nothing pretty in this. Just wondering how will these girls end up looking in next 15 years.
  • ☠ Live Free Or Die ☠ 2012/04/16 22:50:28
    ☠ Live Free Or Die ☠
    +3
    And it's disgusting!
    +6
    In a lot of ways .. they are organized Child Abuse ..
    too many times these little ones .. are tortured by the /beauty regimes/ they are forced to go through ..
    (Shudder .. hate to bring it up .. but a couple minutes with Toddlers and Tiaras show why these ought to be STOPPED and prosecuted)
    Unhappy when they experience that .. unhappy at being paraded .. and definitely not thrilled when in real local parades ..
    It is more for the parent living life vicariously through the child ..
    And that .. is abusive indeed ..
  • michael 2012/04/16 22:12:37
  • Dickens 2012/04/16 21:28:00
    Dickens
    +3
    ...they'll be tossed into the back of a nondescript, soundproofed, windowless, white van before you know it...
  • Doreen 2012/04/16 21:24:54
    Doreen
    +3
    They are very disgusting.
  • colton delaney 2012/04/16 21:19:30
    colton delaney
    +1
    anyone who thinks of sex while looking at these little kids in these pageants is freaken sick in the head. because of sick creeps like that they had to pull the cute coppertone commercial from vintage America. vintage coppertone add
    does this do anything for you? there are some sick people out there who would call this child porn. come on people. get a grip.
  • ☠ Live ... colton ... 2012/04/16 22:52:17
    ☠ Live Free Or Die ☠
    +2
    So, no one can call child porn what it is without being called a pedophile? That makes sense.
  • colton ... ☠ Live ... 2012/04/17 01:11:44
    colton delaney
    +1
    I would seriously question someone who felt that the coppertone add was child porn, or someone who thought about sex while looking at one of these child pageants. I would say there was something seriously wrong with them. That was my point.
  • ☠ Live ... colton ... 2012/04/17 20:38:09
    ☠ Live Free Or Die ☠
    +1
    And your point is stupid. Sorry, but it just is. Calling child porn what it is doesn't make you a pedophile. Dressing little girls up like adult women in skimy outfits and make up to be judged like dogs in a dog show by a bunch of adults; doesn't that sound even a LITTLE bit wrong to you?
  • colton ... ☠ Live ... 2012/04/18 02:41:11
    colton delaney
    +1
    yes its a problem, the question was "is it sexual?" I say thats ridiculous, theres nothing sexual about it unless you are a pedophile, these girls look like they are wearing costumes, they look ridiculous, not sexual. why do people have to go there? like with the coppertone add, dont you think that anyone thinking of sex after seeing the add would be a freak? these freaks feed the hysteria, and THAT is a problem.
  • ☠ Live ... colton ... 2012/04/18 20:11:28
    ☠ Live Free Or Die ☠
    No, it's the freaks who dress them up like that in the first place.
  • SA colton ... 2012/04/16 22:56:58
    SA
    +3
    There IS a difference between the picture you posted and this.
    toddlers and tiarras
    This child has more makeup on than I wear, and I am an adult.

toddlers and tiarras 6
    What you posted was an advertisement. These pics I posted are REAL little girls.
  • colton ... SA 2012/04/17 01:35:53
    colton delaney
    +1
    The hysteria surrounding these pageants and the people behind it are why the coppertone add was pulled. Yes they are real little girls but in no way should someone think of sex by looking at them, I think someone who thinks of sex while looking at these pageants ought to be locked up. The reactions of people on here baffle me, the girls look ridiculous, but there isnt anything sexual about it, they all look like little girls with costumes on.
  • TruBluT... colton ... 2012/04/16 23:38:47
    TruBluTopaz
    +4
    This isn't cute pictures of adorable children, it is taking children, putting them in rhinestones and makeup and having them mince about on stage. Nothing is normal about that.
  • colton ... TruBluT... 2012/04/17 01:21:52
    colton delaney
    +1
    I didnt say it was normal, I said it doesnt make me think of sex. I think the parents are the problem because they put alot of pressure on these girls and not one of them grows up to be a nice person. however sex has nothing to do with it, why do they have to go there?
    seeing these pictures and then thinking about sex is not normal. I dont think sex is the problem with these pageants, the parents are the problem, they are vicious and will stop at nothing to win one of these things.
  • CynWytch colton ... 2012/04/17 19:03:44
    CynWytch
    +1
    She represents a true child, not a made up fantasy version of an adult woman in a child's body, which is what you see when you look at a child ready to take the stage at a pagent. It's not just the way they make the child look, it's the posing and parading that goes on and how it plants the idea that the child's worth is wrapped up in how well they do when they are in full make up and costume. It warps a child's perspective as to how to have a healthy image of themselves and how they interact with others. Prolonged exposure to this lifestyle promotes divas, egos and a lack of realness.
  • colton ... CynWytch 2012/04/18 02:44:17
    colton delaney
    +1
    I would imagine that these little girls probably dont grow up into nice people , they are probably mean, shallow and without substance. the question asked is it sexual. I say its not sexual.
  • CynWytch colton ... 2012/04/18 17:38:28
    CynWytch
    My response was in support of my opinion that it is sexual and did answer the question. I feel the pageant culture rides the line of child abuse because it is the sexualization that in turn is environmental/cultural influence that creates the behavioral actions. Once the children no longer are engaged in the pageants there is an emptiness inside them that in turn will cause these now women to act out in desperate needs for attention. It will keep their emotional maturity at that same age where they were getting that attention heaped upon them.
  • colton ... CynWytch 2012/04/20 05:29:40
    colton delaney
    +1
    that may be, but the question was does it sexualize them, I say it doesnt, they look ridiculous, why do people have to throw sex into this, kids dressed in any thing or nothing shouldnt make people think of sex. next they will say does a dog dressed in a bikini sexualize a dog. the whole thing is stupid. normal people who look at kids dont think about sex, or ask stupid questions like this.
    these pageants arent good for anyone, but its not a sexual problem, its a parenting problem.
  • CynWytch colton ... 2012/04/20 22:37:58
    CynWytch
    +1
    I understand your point of view that it shouldn't feel sexual, however it's not that a person looks at them and thinks of sex, it's the way they are dressed, made up and posed/perform that insinuates a sexual appearance. The costuming imitates women who are attempting to exude a sensual and sexy attitude. The make and hair is the same, so it's not a matter of a person thinking of sex when they see these children, it's a matter of what they are attempting to convey with their look and behavior.
  • colton ... CynWytch 2012/04/22 02:34:06
    colton delaney
    +1
    I guess, I havent seen a pageant or how they have them move, I see in the pictures they are trying for some kind of look, I thought the question was if the pageants convey a sexual tone, maybe they try to but I dont see it. Its just kids playing in costume.
  • Michael=Constitution & Liberty 2012/04/16 21:14:56
    Michael=Constitution & Liberty
  • CjC7 2012/04/16 20:39:31
  • harley oldman 2012/04/16 20:37:51
    harley oldman
    +3
    YES....It`s usually washed up Moms trying to live their fantasy`s thru their Children. For Heavens sake LET the Kids be Kids.They grow up too fast as it is.
  • oceangrl 2012/04/16 20:35:24
    oceangrl
    +2
    I do feel sorry for the kids that are actually "forced" into beauty pageants by there moms.....why can't they just let them be kids...now they're going to think everything has to be about them now!!! gah, it just annoys me with this kind of thing!!!
  • Sarah TH Marshall Switcher 2012/04/16 20:11:30
    Sarah TH Marshall Switcher
    +2
    Not all of them mind you- in this part of the world, girls do "beauty reviews" which are mostly just little girls in pretty dresses- no makeup, no go-go juice. But larger beauty pageants spend a good deal of time imposing adult standards of beauty on children- why in the world should a child have a spray tan? Fake eyelashes? These are things we find ATTRACTIVE. In our mates.
  • Vitalani 2012/04/16 19:49:48
    Vitalani
    +4
    It's undeniable. Of course not ALL of them do, but many do.

pageants sexualize children

undeniable
  • NoHandl... Vitalani 2012/04/17 00:54:03
    NoHandlebarsAttached
    +1
    Gross.
  • Vitalani NoHandl... 2012/04/17 00:56:38
  • NoHandl... Vitalani 2012/04/17 00:58:10
  • Pat 2012/04/16 19:47:19
    +2
    Yes and I think it's terrible. These little girls are made to look like 30 yr old show girls. It's obvious that the mother's are living their own dreams through their daughters. I feel very sorry for these kids.
  • MR. 2012/04/16 19:42:32
    MR.
    +2
    Yes! Beauty pageants are a "pedophiles playground" without the swings!!
  • ✞Knight of Honor 2012/04/16 19:38:20
    ✞Knight of Honor
    +2
    That's why I oppose them.
  • Assassin~ Badass Buzz Guru 2012/04/16 19:32:50
    Assassin~ Badass Buzz Guru
    +4
    They are absolutely disgusting. I NEVER watch them or those shows that have them in there. I have heard of them and seen clips on youtube and I wanted to vomit. Seriously they are dangerous to the welfare of children in my opinion. The mothers should stop trying to be beautiful vicariously through the child and work on themselves if they want to beautify something.

Does this seem like they are sexualizing chidlren?
    children opinion mothers beautiful vicariously child work beautify sexualizing chidlren Child pagent sexualize children toddlers tiaras too sexy
  • thereal3rdmarch 2012/04/16 19:22:42
    thereal3rdmarch
    +3
    And this is how sexual abuse towards children starts...
  • Chris - The Rowdy One! #187 2012/04/16 19:03:13
  • Jacqui 2012/04/16 18:42:34 (edited)
    Jacqui
    +2
    They are just disgusting; tell them it's okay to be superficial. They make them up like hookers, or cheap entertainers. The don't teach the value of intelligence, good morals, and empathy.
  • Gooky 2012/04/16 18:38:08
    Gooky
    +3
    Sick perverts...anyone who would abuse their child,by entering one of these pervert pageants...needs to rethink their parenting.

2014/10/31 09:26:57