Disgaea Developers Confirm New RPG for PS3: What's the Greatest RPG Series of All Time?

thezilch 2012/08/08 22:00:00
Baldur's Gate
Chrono Trigger / Cross
Diablo
Dragon Age
Earthbound / Mother
Elder Scrolls
Fable
Fallout
Final Fantasy
Kingdom Hearts
Mass Effect
Shin Megami Tensei: Persona
Ultima
THEVERGE.COM reports:The developer behind the Disgaea series revealed that their next RPG is Kamisama to Unmei Kakumei no Paradox, or Kamipara for short, for the PlayStation 3.
unmei kakumei paradox kamipara playstation 3 details revealed japans weekly

Read More: http://www.theverge.com/gaming/2012/8/7/3227140/di...

• Skylaris Alanis 2012/08/20 22:10:48
    Final Fantasy
    Skylaris Alanis
    +1
    Helllllll yesssssssss

yuna
    snow ff
    sephiroth
    vincent ff
    cloud ff
    vanille lightning ff
  • Kuroneko 2012/08/19 08:49:34
    Kuroneko
    +1
    Super mario RPG I liked it then again kingdom hearts was good too...
  • Damaris 2012/08/19 06:22:12
    Dragon Age
    Damaris
  • Thomas Accola 2012/08/19 01:12:53
    Thomas Accola
    +1
    i have only played 6 of the seirses shown here. Surprised Disgea wasn't on the list since it is a RPG/Strategy game. Some have gone 1 system only and that sucks.
  • Fred Rogers 2012/08/18 07:49:51
    Elder Scrolls
    Fred Rogers
    +1
    I only said Elder Scrolls because I've played Skyrim a lot most recently. I used to love Final Fantasy games (even played the remakes of the first 2 NES titles for PSP not too long ago). They are much higher quality than Elder Scrolls as far as game play, but I kinda like the open-ended style of Elder Scrolls. I also like Fable, but I wish they would put a little more effort into the story line. I haven't played Ultima since the earliest games, and most of the others very little or not at all.
  • Urhsten 2012/08/18 05:49:44
    Elder Scrolls
    Urhsten
    +1
    Do doubt! Fus Do Rah <3
  • DemonChild 2012/08/17 22:44:12
    DemonChild
  • duns 2012/08/17 11:01:46
    Final Fantasy
    duns
    +1
    I love final fantasy. :)
  • David Lewis 2012/08/16 20:59:30
    Mass Effect
    David Lewis
    +1
    must be some good weed for people to even think final fantasy 7 is better than mass effect
  • Ashley Stopard-Baker 2012/08/16 18:57:39
    Baldur's Gate
    Ashley Stopard-Baker
    +1
    Probably Baldur's Gate for its time. Mass Effect and Fallout aren't bad either. Fable is just a joke, however.
  • Rocko 2012/08/16 00:24:40
    Elder Scrolls
    Rocko
    +1
    elder scrolls by far imo
  • Lyndell "Still YDG'n?!" Banks 2012/08/15 09:36:22
    Final Fantasy
    Lyndell "Still YDG'n?!" Banks
    +1
    I would've picked Elder Scrolls, but I didn't really get into it until Skyrim came out. Been a fan of Final Fantasy since XII.
  • Yoru Azenia 2012/08/13 14:16:27
    Elder Scrolls
    Yoru Azenia
    +1
    Out of this list Elder Scrolls beats all for me but Fallout is a close second and all these other series are pretty cool too
  • KB 2012/08/12 20:56:58
    KB
    +5
    Right here!

pokemon yellow
    pokemon heartgold
    pokemon diamond
    pokemon white
    pokemon emerald
  • thezilch KB 2012/08/22 16:58:54
    thezilch
    How could I have forgotten Pokemon? Good call.
  • KB thezilch 2012/08/22 17:40:22
    KB
    it's ok
  • rocker1446 2012/08/12 19:28:38
    Final Fantasy
    rocker1446
    +1
    This was a tough one.
  • Ketel-One 2012/08/12 18:39:27
    Final Fantasy
    Ketel-One
  • santaisgod4ever 2012/08/12 17:11:44
    Elder Scrolls
    santaisgod4ever
    +3
    And Mario RPG

Mario RPG
  • brian.southworth.921 2012/08/12 11:17:54
    Final Fantasy
    brian.southworth.921
    +1
    If we're talking sales and being knowN for pushing game systems to their fullest capability then FF is at the forefront. But I also love the Mass Effect series and Fallout. The rest are good as well, but those are my favorite three.
  • daniel.graue 2012/08/12 08:24:39
    Final Fantasy
    daniel.graue
    +2
    Loved Elder scrolls games, and the Dragon age games, but Each and every Final Fantasy game has such an amazing story, its hard not to chose them.
  • You Know IT 2012/08/12 08:18:32
    Dragon Age
    You Know IT
    +2
    I just recently played Dragoon's Age so i may be a little biased, but i loved the game, and i can't wait for DA3
  • Noobcake You Kno... 2012/08/14 02:02:02
    Noobcake
    +1
    I'm curious, which DA game did you just finish? 1 or 2?
  • You Kno... Noobcake 2012/08/14 23:58:34
    You Know IT
    +1
    both, along with all the expansion stuff
  • AccidentalChainsaw :DD 2012/08/12 02:49:17
  • Rimvydas_M 2012/08/12 00:44:14
    Diablo
    Rimvydas_M
  • kingplu... Rimvydas_M 2012/08/12 03:54:02
    kingplutoxiao1
    Diablo is a hack and slash.
  • Rimvydas_M kingplu... 2012/08/12 09:36:09
    Rimvydas_M
    +1
    but it's still rpg.action rpg
  • kingplu... Rimvydas_M 2012/08/13 17:32:18
    kingplutoxiao1
    No, its an action game with rpg elements. Its not the same as an action RPG.
  • Noobcake kingplu... 2012/08/14 02:00:06
    Noobcake
    In my opinion (am not saying it's fact) Diablo is a hack'n'slash dungeon crawler. Which would most definitely be classified as a strain of action-rpgs methinks.
  • kingplu... Noobcake 2012/08/14 15:27:45
    kingplutoxiao1
    Its an action game with RPG elements. ROLE PLAYING is part of a RPG game. RPGs started off as adventure games which were centered around the story and had a stat system. You aren't role playing in Diablo. It has zero point. This is how diablo plays.

Fight monsters, get loot, level up, sell loot at a town. Continue the process until you become overpowered and can kill enemies in about two hits.
  • Noobcake kingplu... 2012/08/15 01:09:46
    Noobcake
    +1
    Well, I don't even like Diablo or dungeon crawlers much (fighting a boss requires little to no strategy) - once you've played one you've played them all in my opinion - so I've no reason to, I don't know, DEFEND the genre or something ... but I think you're wrong in that what Diablo can be defined as is up to interpretation.

In my opinion (and I cannot stress those words enough) Diablo has MORE RPG elements than it does action elements. In fact, I would go so far as to say that is HAS no action elements and that the only thing separating it from being a good and proper, full out RPG is its distinct lack of a few particular and significant RPG elements. For me, this would classify it, and other dungeon crawlers, as an action-RPG (for being, in the word's purest sense, somewhat more 'action' focused than standard RPGs) and as belonging to the RPG family.

In contrast with this little discussion, below here I argued with Black Poison that Zelda games are NOT RPGs or action-RPGs, but are action-adventure games with RPG elements. So, as you see, I am not all for throwing everything with RPG elements under one blanket.

In any case, I can't prove you wrong and you can't prove me wrong because genre assignment, in video games at least, is totally arbitrary.
  • kingplu... Noobcake 2012/08/15 18:18:01
    kingplutoxiao1
    Mass Effect 2 ROLE PLAYING elements that diablo doesn't. You play as a CHARACTER and its not always about the action, which diablo lacks. You start to connect with the characters, and feel emotions for them. Some of the Legend Of Zelda Games are RPGs, while others are hack and slashes. Gothic II, my favorite hardcore RPG of all time is centered around the story, your decisions, combat, and so much more. Lets compare Mass Effect 2, my favorite Sci-Fi Action Game with RPG elements to Diablo.

Diablo lacks ZERO depth, is brainless, and you don't care for the story or main character in any shape or form. Its just an action game with RPG elements. You don't connect to the character, you just don't care and only care about the ACTION in the game. End of discussion.
  • Noobcake kingplu... 2012/08/16 01:12:21
    Noobcake
    +1
    Whoa. I'm a little alarmed by your... shall we call it 'zeal'? O.O

Are you actually MAD at me for expressing an opinion different to yours when I even went so far as to say it's just MY opinion? "End of discussion"? What are you? 12? :|
  • kingplu... Noobcake 2012/08/16 03:17:50
    kingplutoxiao1
    I try to state facts over opinions. Especially do to the fact I'm a competitive gamer who owns all the current consoles(yes even the Wii I know it was a fad, but its a VERY good dust collector). Please excuse my renegade tone, but facts overshadow opinion.
  • Noobcake kingplu... 2012/08/16 04:21:10 (edited)
    Noobcake
    +1
    I'll excuse your tone. But I do think you take yourself a teeny bit too seriously. I ALSO own all the current consoles (and some not so current) - and I'm not in the slightest ashamed to say that I friggin' love my Wii, because as well as its standard fair it has some awesome 3rd party gems that unfortunately didn't get too much attention. This much can be said for MY gaming style: I'm not a Sony, Microsoft, or Nintendo fangirl. I couldn't be considered competitive because I prefer single player games (mostly RPGs and strategies, but not exclusively), I think Nintendo's and Sony's handhelds are as legitimate as their home console counterparts, I find the use of the word "hardcore" amusing, and I have interests outside gaming - which doesn't make me any less of a gamer.

As I said previously no amount of facts (or rather, attributes that you have observed) will amount to Diablo being proven as belonging to either the 'Action' OR 'Action-RPG' genre because what constitutes either genre HAS NOT BEEN DEFINED (you may find many a forum where some neckbeard has decreed what defines any particular genre but there IS NO authority on this subject). Genre classification in the gaming industry exists to provide convenience to its consumers and for no other reason. Though there can be gene...

As I said previously no amount of facts (or rather, attributes that you have observed) will amount to Diablo being proven as belonging to either the 'Action' OR 'Action-RPG' genre because what constitutes either genre HAS NOT BEEN DEFINED (you may find many a forum where some neckbeard has decreed what defines any particular genre but there IS NO authority on this subject). Genre classification in the gaming industry exists to provide convenience to its consumers and for no other reason. Though there can be general agreement on what constitutes, say, an RPG, because there is no set in stone criteria to be met in order to be classified as such, genre classification IS, as I have said, totally ARBITRARY. Therefore, based on your knowledge, experience, and interpretation you are free to classify Diablo as whatever genre you wish and I will not object.

I apologise for the wall of text. :/
  • kingplu... Noobcake 2012/08/16 04:44:59
    kingplutoxiao1
    +1
    I get payed for gaming, as for the Wii. Yeah, I'm an FPS slut I'll admit it.
    killzone  battlefield 3 battlefield 2 resistance  quake unreal tournament Counterstrike day of defeat

The genre of RPGs originated from Adventure Games, but it has stats, BUT they're suppose to be heavily story driven. Action RPG, also known as an action game with RPG elements, are defined as Hack n Slash games.
  • Noobcake kingplu... 2012/08/16 05:56:26
    Noobcake
    +1
    I'm starting to wonder if you comprehended that last paragraph of mine. Regardless, the RPG genre originated from PEN & PAPER DUNGEONS & DRAGONS. That much IS fact. Unless you consider THAT an adventure game (as you are at perfect liberty to do so despite my opinion) I will have to disagree with that statement.

It also might interest you to know that the terms "hack 'n slash" and "dungeon crawl" both came from pen & paper Dungeons & Dragons as well.

I couldn't be bothered to find what you might consider a more credible source to retrieve a quote from so Wikipedia will have to do. Here it is:

"Hack and slash made the transition from the tabletop to video games, usually starting in D&D-like worlds.[2] This form of gameplay can now be found in a wide range of action role-playing games, including games such as Lineage,[3] and Diablo.[4] Distinct from hack and slash role-playing video games, the term "hack and slash" also began being used to refer to early weapon-based beat 'em up action games, such as Golden Axe.[5][6] The term "hack and slash" is today used to refer to a distinct genre of 3D third-person, weapon-based, beat 'em up action games in the style of Devil May Cry,[7][8] including games such as Onimusha,[8] Ninja Gaiden, Knights Contract, God of War, Heavenly Sword, and Bayonetta.[7]"
  • kingplu... Noobcake 2012/08/18 22:00:24
    kingplutoxiao1
    Well if your gonna quote wikipedia
    "An adventure game is a video game in which the player assumes the role of protagonist in an interactive story driven by exploration and puzzle-solving instead of physical challenge.[1] The genre's focus on story allows it to draw heavily from other narrative-based media such as literature and film, encompassing a wide variety of literary genres. Nearly all adventure games are designed for a single player, since this emphasis on story and character makes multi-player design difficult.[2]"

Yes there were Table Top pen and paper Adventure games. But RPGs are LITERALLY Adventure games with stats. I'll give you an example.The Gabriel Knight series is an adventure game. Gothic II is a hardcore RPG. Diablo is a hack n slash, also known as an ACTION game with RPG elements.
  • Noobcake kingplu... 2012/08/19 01:36:07
    Noobcake
    Back up. ARE YOU ACTUALLY TRYING TO TELL ME THAT RPG's ARE IN FACT NOT RPG's BUT ARE ADVENTURE GAMES???

Oh my god. I'm sorry, but I don't think I can continue with this any longer. This conversation is descending into the realm of madness. /abort

2014/11/24 00:08:38