DID YOU LIKE THE MOVIE " THE LAST SAMURAI"?

BIG BAD JOHN R. 2012/06/07 23:10:56
Yes, I do AND  IT WAS GOOD.
NO, i DID NOT LIKE IT
The Last Samurai
The Last Samuraien.wikipedia.org
The Last Samurai is a 2003 American epic drama film directed and co-produced by Edward Zwick, who also co-wrote the screenplay with writer John Logan. Wikipedia

In 1876, Captain Nathan Algren (Tom Cruise) is traumatized by massacring Native Americans in the Indian Wars and has become an alcoholic to stave off the memories, relating war stories to audiences. Algren is approached by former colleague Zebulon Gant (Billy Connolly), who takes him to meet Algren's former Colonel Bagley (Tony Goldwyn), whom Algren despises for the massacre. On behalf of businessman Mr. Omura (Masato Harada), Bagley offers Algren to train conscripts of the new Meiji government of Japan to suppress a samurai rebellion against Western influence, led by Katsumoto (Ken Watanabe). The irony of crushing a tribal rebellion is not lost on Algren, who recalls his past but accepts solely for payment. In Japan he keeps a journal and is accompanied by British translator Simon Graham (Timothy Spall).

Despite Algren's objections, Omura has Bagley order the peasant conscripts to fight early and they are routed when engaging the samurai. Gant is killed and Algren is captured after killing leading samurai warrior Hirotaro. Katsumoto is reminded of a vision of a tiger while watching Algren fight with a tiger embroidered spear and orders his capture. Taken to the samurai village, Algren is treated by Hirotaro's widow Taka and Katsumoto's son, Nobutada (Shin Koyamada) and overcomes his trauma. He begins to converse with Katsumoto, study swordsmanship under warrior Ujio (Hiroyuki Sanada) and apologizes to Taka for Hirotaro's death which she accepts because of the honour of battle. Growing closer to her and her children, he later helps defend the village from an ambush by Omura's ninja.

In spring, Algren is taken back to Tokyo as promised. The Imperial Japanese army have become better organized with American equipment and Omura offers Algren command if he reveals information on the rebels. Algren declines, so privately Omura orders his death. Katsumoto offers his counsel to the young Emperor, but finds the Emperor's control is weak. When Katsumoto refuses to obey the new law to not display swords, he is arrested. Algren fights off Omura's men and frees Katsumoto with the assistance of Ujio, Nobutada and Graham. Nobutada is severely wounded as they escape, sacrificing himself to slow the guards. Katsumoto mourns, but receives word that a large Imperial Army group led by Omura and Bagley will engage them. Five hundred samurai are rallied as Algren references the Battle of Thermopylae. On the eve of battle, Algren is presented with a katana, kisses Taka and wears Hirotaro's red armour as a symbol of respect to her.

• Mikel_mad2002 2012/06/09 08:31:45
    Yes, I do AND IT WAS GOOD.
    Mikel_mad2002
    Not my favourite, but good
  • Raphy 2012/06/08 05:20:27
    Yes, I do AND IT WAS GOOD.
    Raphy
    Good Movie. Can't remember....did it win an Oscar?
  • BIG BAD... Raphy 2012/06/08 12:50:46
    BIG BAD JOHN R.
    I don't have a clue, but it should have.
  • Bob, the reasonable one 2012/06/08 03:06:22
    Yes, I do AND IT WAS GOOD.
    Bob, the reasonable one
    +1
    Tom Cruise did an excellent job...the story was very entertaining
  • Lady Aiyanna 2012/06/08 00:47:46
    Yes, I do AND IT WAS GOOD.
    Lady Aiyanna
    The movie is great and the Volcanic Mountain used out there is also the Rangitoto Island which is here in Auckland New Zealand which was used as a backdrop as Mount Fuji. I see the mountain from outside my window....
  • BIG BAD... Lady Ai... 2012/06/08 03:18:04
    BIG BAD JOHN R.
    +1
    wow, that must be so neat, you must have a awesome view
  • Lady Ai... BIG BAD... 2012/06/08 03:34:24
    Lady Aiyanna
    +2
    Lady Aiyanna

Its pretty, here is one of the shots I have with it at the background on Takapuna Beach.
  • BIG BAD... Lady Ai... 2012/06/08 03:46:46
    BIG BAD JOHN R.
    +1
    ok, thank you, only one word B E A U T I F U L!
  • Lady Ai... BIG BAD... 2012/06/08 05:30:41
    Lady Aiyanna
    You said it!!! Its got spectacular views from the top of it....
    Yes, I do AND IT WAS GOOD.
    +1
    I thought it was very good and well done
  • DoxieDad 2012/06/08 00:06:07
    Yes, I do AND IT WAS GOOD.
    DoxieDad
    +1
    One of Tom Cruise' better movies.
  • Simmering Frog - PHART 2012/06/07 23:56:22
    NO, i DID NOT LIKE IT
    Simmering Frog - PHART
    +1
    Didn't care for it. I did however meet a Japanese guy who was an extra in the movie once. Don't know where he is but he's on screen there somewhere.
  • BIG BAD... Simmeri... 2012/06/08 03:18:46
    BIG BAD JOHN R.
    why didn't you like it?
  • Simmeri... BIG BAD... 2012/06/08 03:22:38
    Simmering Frog - PHART
    Kind of long.
  • The Elitist Libtard SodaJerk 2012/06/07 23:49:05
    Yes, I do AND IT WAS GOOD.
    The Elitist Libtard SodaJerk
    +1
    I went into it apprehensive not knowing how well Tom Cruise would be interpreted as a Samurai.
  • stevmackey 2012/06/07 23:14:22
    Yes, I do AND IT WAS GOOD.
    stevmackey
    +1
    It was a rare great acting job.
  • Vennie 2012/06/07 23:13:22
    Yes, I do AND IT WAS GOOD.
    Vennie
    +1
    I love samurai movies! Especially the older Japanese ones, which if they star Toshio Mifune, are usually magnificent!

2014/10/30 13:17:30