Did Judges Rob Manny Pacquaio?

Sports 2012/06/11 16:00:00
We don't normally cover combat sports here on SodaHead, but there are times when it warrants our attention. Case in point: the big boxing match over the weekend between arguably the best in the world, Manny Pacquiao Vs. contender Timothy Bradley. Much like rival Floyd Mayweather Jr., when "Pacman" fights, everyone watches.

And everyone watched Pacquiao dominate practically the whole fight. While there was a round or two you could give to Bradley, it wasn't like he'd beat the legend in any judges' eyes. How wrong those observers were. Pacquaio lost the fight via split decision, meaning two out of three judges lacked common sense, were blind, or are just completely incompetent.

Whatever the case is with those two judges, Pacquiao lost a fight nearly everyone says he won. People talked about fixing. Many celebrities from Justin Timberlake to 50 Cent called out the Nevada State Athletic Commission on Twitter over the judging. Wikipedia pages were vandalized. Some called it the end of boxing. Bradley first said he'd have to watch the fight to see if he won, and later changed his tune saying he thought he won. Which one is it, dude?

On a humorous note, Pacquaio went missing for awhile before the main event and it turns out, he was still in his street clothes until the end of the Heat-Celtics Game 7. He also needed a treadmill to stretch his calves. And he still ended up dominating. No investigation has been opened on the judging and fans obviously aren't happy. On the bright side, at least Manny Pacquiao's calves were loose! But let's be real: numbers don't lie...

• lauren 2012/06/12 21:09:15
  • the wizz 2012/06/12 20:42:05
    the wizz
    Boxing is so corrupt I don't even bother watching any more. Fight after fight we see bad judgments a blind person could see !!!! It,s getting to where ir,s affecting betting stats and fans are wondering if the Mob has taken it over again. Maybe the Russian Mafia ??
    Reply is even in Baseball now !!!!!!!
  • owen the wizz 2012/06/22 12:02:14
    owen
    The Italian American mob sold out to the likes of Don King and the Jewish mob still run the rest.American boxing has always been this way to anyone in the know.
  • David 2012/06/12 20:39:26
    David
    +1
    Bradley, you have no shame. Everyone wants to win, but this fight isn't even close. You thought you won? BS! Good thing I don't watch boxing anyways.
  • Cristina 2012/06/12 20:25:48
    Cristina
    +2
    Pacquiao was given his previous fight against Marquez. Karma huh? -.-
  • starguide Cristina 2012/06/12 21:01:49
    starguide
    so who do u think really one this fight?

welcome to sodahead.. left u your first comment ,,,enjoy here
  • Mike Cristina 2012/06/13 17:39:52
    One has to beat the champ - I mean beat him - Marquez fight was close, but hi did not physical beat up Manny
  • owen Cristina 2012/06/22 12:03:00
    owen
    You are ignorant of this sport and it shows
  • Tedster 2012/06/12 20:10:39
    Tedster
    +1
    Between this decision and the recent Amir Khan/Lamont Peterson decision along with various home town ripoffs, boxing's judging seems to be getting worse. Khan lost his championship fight because he was penalized 2 or 3 points by the hometown referee for "pushing" his opponent away during clinches resulting in him losing a split decision. In Pacquiao's case the Nevada Boxing Commission has refused to even investigate this travesty. The only judge for the fight with any credibility, Jerry Roth, missed this one too as he had Manny winning by only one round, 115-113. Between the 82 more power punches and the higher connect rate of 39% vs 28% what the hell fight was he watching?

If a gambler is going to fix a fight you only need to "buy" two judges to do it which is much cheaper than trying to buy fighters being paid $5 million like Manny was. Between the fact that it's Vegas AND the "sport" of boxing, this injustice reeks! Betcha Manny knocks him out in the rematch or at least leaves even less doubt next time they meet.
  • supreme 2012/06/12 20:04:11
    supreme
    +1
    I'm sure his former promoter had something to do with it. Boxing sucks I stop watching it years ago.
  • Mark Twain 2012/06/12 19:52:40
    Mark Twain
    +1
    The rematch posters were out minutes after the decision was given. This whole thing was a fix to make money in a two fight series. Obviously Pac had to lose for there to be a rematch. Everybody involved was well paid.
  • Tedster Mark Twain 2012/06/12 20:18:37 (edited)
    Tedster
    Actually Manny didn't have to lose to get a rematch. Rematches are made when the previous fight is close enough to wonder if a rematch might be different next time or if the first fight was entertaining enough to sell enough tickets for the second fight.
  • Gahnzo 2012/06/12 19:38:30
    Gahnzo
    +1
    Seriously robbed of the win.. don't know how they could have not given it to Pacquaio....
  • Gahnzo Gahnzo 2012/06/12 19:39:27
    Gahnzo
    +1
    and LANDED 190 to 108??? and they give it to Bradley??? What THE F....
  • trollatc 2012/06/12 19:34:06
    trollatc
    +1
    Boxing had been getting it's good reputation back over the last few years. Then this happened, a KO back to the stone age.
  • trollatc trollatc 2012/06/12 19:42:17
    trollatc
    Now that I have looked at other comments, all the no votes I have read are saying it was fixed or they did not watch the fight. So they are saying yes or they did not watch the fight.
  • native65 2012/06/12 19:16:59
    native65
    +1
    I watched every round, every punch, Bradley won two rounds at the most, one round was a no doubt Bradley won that round, the other round was pretty darn close. The only thing that would prove my thoughts about the boxing community at this point wrong would be the dismissal of the judges, with a full investigation (find out who paid them) and take that title away from Bradley & give it back to Manny... no retake, & no rematch.
  • Tre 2012/06/12 19:08:59
    Tre
    +1
    A travesty!!!
  • Heres Johnny! 2012/06/12 19:03:59
    Heres Johnny!
    +1
    Boxing is corrupt...
  • George Spilly 2012/06/12 18:54:44
    George Spilly
    +2
    I seen the Fight and I do not know whats going on but thay are all in on it.Now they will tell us that the Fight will not Count and they will Fight again on Nov.of 2012.Now Manny will Win that Fight and then Bradley will be crying for a Rematch that will happen cause it was already set up by Mr.Arum.From day one.I guess Don King has always been right for saying Only In America.Middle Class is still Paying.
  • dimwit 2012/06/12 18:44:21 (edited)
    dimwit
    +1
    The decision was just business as usual. It went that way so they can build interest in a return bout. When compared to MMA cage fighting, boxing is no more a true sport than professional wrestling where they admit to following a script.
  • Carl 2012/06/12 18:24:48
    Carl
    +1
    Absolutely he was robbed. Those two judges should be barred in the future.
  • Builder 2012/06/12 18:04:27
    Builder
    I thought Manny won the first 4 or 5 rounds but it could have been a draw. I don't think Manny lost the fight!
  • Margaret Jacobson 2012/06/12 18:01:15
    Margaret Jacobson
    I don't feel "fighting" is a sport,k you try to harm the other person. Look at fighters like mohammed Ali, and others who have had their brains bashed into the sides of their skulls. Parkinsons disease, dementia etc !! Not a sport to me !! Maybe it will be a wake up call ?"? By the way he probably robbed ??
  • mk, Smartass Oracle 2012/06/12 17:56:01
  • silentart 2012/06/12 17:35:25
    silentart
    Not sure about that because I did not watch on tv... I did feel that Pacquiao was better than Bradley, based on statics and record...
  • Tim Upham 2012/06/12 17:26:48
    Tim Upham
    I really do not care. I do not like watching boxing. I think it is brutal and dehumanizing.
  • t.eliot, topbard 2012/06/12 17:18:19
    t.eliot, topbard
    He was robbed. The judges were corrupt.
  • owen t.eliot... 2012/06/22 12:04:28
    owen
    Righton
  • HarleyCharley 2012/06/12 17:09:31
    HarleyCharley
    he was robbed...
  • John Hall 2012/06/12 17:05:36
    John Hall
    Didn't watch the fight so I can't give you a honest answear .
  • ray John Hall 2012/06/12 17:30:24
    ray
    You don't have to. The numbers says it all.
  • Luis 2012/06/12 16:43:42 (edited)
    Luis
    +1
    We know Bradley out here in the Coachella valley. You call it Palm Springs but that is just one city out here. Bradley is from Cathedral city, It is not the high end area like Indian Wells and Rancho Mirage or even Palm desert and La Quinta. Bradley is a very nice kid. He has always been a top notch guy not a cheater. So if the fix was in he had nothing to do with it. Frankly I thought he would beat Paquiao due to his size and youth. Also he trained intensely while Pac man did not. Bradley is undefeated and a very good fighter. He did fight with a sprain ankle from the second round on. We will see a different fight in the rematch. Pacquiao got 10 million win or loose and Bradley got 5 million win or lose. Oh yes I did not see the fight so I can't comment on the judging.
  • Tedster Luis 2012/06/12 20:37:49
    Tedster
    His trainer Freddy Roach said Manny trained hard, much harder than his previous two fights since he "got religion".
  • owen Tedster 2012/06/22 12:05:57
    owen
    Who,Roach or P?Manny is 100%Catholic always was and I always thought Roach was too.
  • Tedster owen 2012/06/25 01:38:02
    Tedster
    I don't know if he changed religions but doubt it since he's a politician in the Phillipines. The vast majority of them are too.
  • owen Tedster 2012/06/30 00:39:57
    owen
    The man is a practicing Catholic and always was,I think you might be thinking of another boxer.
  • Tedster owen 2012/06/30 18:59:42
    Tedster
    Definitely not. Freddie Roach has spoken repeatedly about Manny's turnaround from all the partying and womanizing. Doesn't mean he changed his being a Catholic and I doubt he did.
  • owen Tedster 2012/07/01 00:07:45
    owen
    Catholics always like to party,what are you saying?It may have been just a throw away line most yanks use.Manny has always been a good Catholic man.
  • Tedster owen 2012/07/05 19:06:21
    Tedster
    Manny as a celebrity has been a womanizer and partier of epic proportions despite being a Catholic. Not sure where I'm losing u unless it's because ur trying to canonize him prematurely for some reason.

2014/11/27 17:21:40