Did a film critic cross the line for making obese comments?

Kyle 2013/02/11 13:42:52
yes
no

Red Carpet Arrivals for Academy Awards Ceremony

Actress Melissa McCarthy’s weight is blasted in a recent movie review.

New York Observer critic, Rex Reed, calls the Oscar-nominated actress a “female hippo” and “tractor-sized” in a review of McCarthy’s New Movie Identity Thief.

Reed also added her career is a study in “being obese and obnoxious with equal success.”

McCarthy received an Oscar nomination for her 2011 role in the movie, Bridesmaids.

Bridesmaid’s film director, Paul Feig, responded to Reed’s
review tweeting, “For his catty and school bully name-calling of the
supremely talented Melissa McCarthy, I cordially invite Mr. Rex Reed to
go (expletive) himself.”

Click here to read more…

• Richard M. Nixon 2013/02/11 14:14:40
    yes
    Richard M. Nixon
    +4
    She's fat. She knows she's fat. So do we. But Rex Reed has always been a prick and is being consistent. That's no excuse for being cruel; that's someone else's job.

joan rivers

• Joker 2014/10/09 16:30:57
    yes
    Joker
    i really believe so
  • Samantha Green 2013/02/15 02:44:58
    yes
    Samantha Green
    +1
    That's so mean and so stupid
  • Sunshine 2013/02/12 20:46:51
    yes
    Sunshine
    +1
    That was very rude! He definitely didn´t have to call her a ¨female hippo.¨ I think she´s quite pretty. :)
  • ladyjane 2013/02/12 05:22:51
    yes
    ladyjane
    Some men just don't take the time to look in the mirror to see how they really look! I hate men that are so critical of any woman because they are the ones that want perfection and will never have it because the perfect or so called perfect woman will never give them a second look and they don't deserve it. They don't deserve a second look from any woman because they would never be a decent caring mate.
  • Farbiger 2013/02/12 01:29:39
    yes
    Farbiger
    +2
    He didn't have to call her a female hippo. You can point out someone's flaw without being high school level mean to someone. Actually, no one should be pointing out other people's flaws seeing as how no one's perfect.
  • Christopher Kirchen 2013/02/12 00:12:12
    yes
    Christopher Kirchen
    +1
    I personally think so, but when someone gets into the public eye they have to realize that not everyone is going to be nice.
  • Jeff 2013/02/11 23:39:42 (edited)
    yes
    Jeff
    +1
    He didn't even do a film review, he evidently can't see the forest for the trees. She's a beautiful, gifted, actor and comedian. Look at the free publicity she's gotten, all at his expense !

Rex Reed Photo
    http://www.contactmusic.com/p...
  • HipJipC 2013/02/11 23:12:38
    yes
    HipJipC
    +2
    I read movie critics to find out about the MOVIE. He can keep his personal junk and issues out of it, I'm not interested. About time he goes to see a psychologist about his fat people issues. I see many on this post might benefit from the same.
  • DebraDeJonge 2013/02/11 21:52:48
    yes
    DebraDeJonge
    +1
    He's just a snitty idiot. He should mind his own business and stick to reviewing films not criticizing the appearance of the actors/actresses. I wonder if he'd make snarky comments about a larger sized man?
  • stevie.luplow 2013/02/11 20:27:23
    yes
    stevie.luplow
    +2
    That wasn't appropriate...it's just plain wrong to say anything like that to any human being.
  • Hidden Noname 2013/02/11 20:01:09
    yes
    Hidden Noname
    Hollywood and the Left is notorious for screaming about not judging people for being themselves, but then feels justified in criticizing and judging people who don't fit into their mold of perfection. How outraged would Hollywood and the media have been if someone had said something about Rex Reed not qualified to be a critic because he was a flaming homosexual? How about not judging people on their color, religious and political affiliation, sexual orientation AND their size? Why should prejudice be allowed for any category?
  • bacon.nivison 2013/02/11 17:39:11
    no
    bacon.nivison
    Said what he chose to say. Illustrates more about him than it does her. I don't figure saying, "I'm a dumbass is "crossing the line," especially when it's true.
  • QC 2013/02/11 16:41:41
    no
    QC
    The truth hurts....
  • HipJipC QC 2013/02/11 23:16:39
    HipJipC
    +3
    No, having complete strangers judge you for your appearance is what hurts. Shallow people hurt.
    lacking depth; superficial: a mind that is not narrow but shallow.
  • QC HipJipC 2013/02/12 03:52:29 (edited)
    QC
    If you don't like it, then don't let yourself go until you are humongous. It is dumb to allow yourself to become fat and then expect people not to judge you for it. I guess if that is how you live your life then you must like feeling sorry for yourself, as you give yourself unlimited opportunities to do so....
  • MentalG... QC 2013/08/15 00:54:48
  • QC MentalG... 2013/08/15 01:30:22
    QC
    Hey, but at least I'm not fat like you........
  • MentalG... QC 2013/08/15 01:41:57 (edited)
    MentalGopher
    You assume I'm fat and we're supposed to believe that you're not fat. You probably are some shut-in who weighs close to half a ton, just waiting for the fire department to get you out with a crane. It's really sad to see someone so full of self-hatred.
  • QC MentalG... 2013/08/15 01:52:20
    QC
    Keep dreaming lard ass....
  • MentalG... QC 2013/08/16 00:50:44
    MentalGopher
    Is that what every woman you ever tried to date told you? Well, if you can get the crane to come soon, there are plenty of places that'll sell you an anatomically-correct blow-up doll. Assuming that you can find your penis and/or your massive girth doesn't deflate it.
  • QC MentalG... 2013/08/16 12:29:52
    QC
    You are lucky actually; not everyone is so fat that they have a second vagina in their belly button like you have...
  • MentalG... QC 2013/08/18 07:34:16
    MentalGopher
    Did you come up with that one yourself or did you have to steal it from one of your neighbors from the trailer park when they appeared on Jerry Springer?
  • QC MentalG... 2013/08/18 12:10:36
    QC
    That was pretty funny for a fat person. I bet you are used to people laughing at you and not with you....
  • MentalG... QC 2013/11/22 06:36:12
    MentalGopher
    Oh, so you stole it from your mother when she was getting evicted from the aforementioned trailer park? Got it!
  • QC MentalG... 2013/11/23 17:36:53
    QC
    I can't imagine how much food you have to steal to get so fat!
  • MentalG... QC 2013/11/23 20:39:37
    MentalGopher
    Well, the correct number is your IQ times the speed of light, which would come out to 0.
  • QC MentalG... 2013/11/23 20:41:08
    QC
    OMG! You are so fat, even your logic is filled with lard!!
  • MentalG... QC 2013/11/23 20:44:08
    MentalGopher
    I think most reasonable people would rather be fat than too stupid to insult somebody well. How can an inanimate object be full of lard, a tangible item?
  • QC MentalG... 2013/11/23 20:51:11
    QC
    Fat people are so concrete in their thinking. Must be why they eat so much....
  • MentalG... QC 2013/11/24 07:11:47
    MentalGopher
    Jesus, you can't even insult me well, much less a whole group of people.
  • QC MentalG... 2013/11/25 14:11:47
    QC
    Please, only my close friends call me Jesus, and you basically are large enough to be considered a whole group of people….
  • MentalG... QC 2013/11/26 05:32:26
    MentalGopher
    I meant that as an exclamation to emphasize how depressingly idiotic you are. But I'm more concerned that you think the stuffed animal collection that you keep in your mother's trailer not only talks to you, but count as your close friends. Pathetic.
  • QC MentalG... 2013/11/26 15:37:16
    QC
    I'm concerned with how many stuffed animals and possibly live animals are trapped within your rolls of fat!
  • bettyboop 2013/02/11 16:25:25
    yes
    bettyboop
    +2
    He's old and bitter and apparently thinks he makes himself look good when he dogs others.
  • JohnT 2013/02/11 16:09:55
    yes
    JohnT
    I guess he has poor skills at just sticking to the movie script and writing about the actual movie. Failure to do his job can him.
  • k.a.walker 2013/02/11 15:27:40
    yes
    k.a.walker
    +2
    His comments were completely uncalled for. I think that Ms. McCarthy is a lovely woman, and a very intelligent woman, and a great actress, and Reed was very rude and really made an ass of himself.
  • Kronan_1 2013/02/11 15:26:54
    no
    Kronan_1
    +1
    How is it crossing a line, telling the truth. She's a bulbous, obese, marshmallow fluff, fatty. How is she even in the movies? Is this where we are headed. Diabetic, heart attack, clogged arteries, Fatasses? Are we going to glorify that now? Given most all Hollywierd are Obama supporters, this is one way of ridding the undesirables. Encourage obesity and people will die of heart related illnesses. Dibetes. Respiratory failure. No thanks.
  • bettyboop Kronan_1 2013/02/11 16:29:13
    bettyboop
    +3
    This coming from someone who is not even willing to show his own face. We can't see how ugly your outside is, but you certainly have proved how ugly your inside is. Perhaps you think it is okay to bully others because they are fat, but it is not. How would you like it if I bullied you for your inability to obtain an erection or because you have a small penis and are balding?
  • Kronan_1 bettyboop 2013/02/11 20:39:12
    Kronan_1
    Go look at my profile and you can see. It's not that hard. Click on my name.
  • HipJipC Kronan_1 2013/02/11 22:53:45
    HipJipC
    LOL, you expecting twins or triplets! All that drivel above, talk about the pot calling the kettle black! Doesn't look much like you're saying "no thanks". Geez, fat people have been on the planet way before fast food and Hollyweird (lol, liked that one). And they have always been ridiculed and because some humans are stupid animals and their dna never upgrades, it will always be that way.

2014/11/25 22:12:48