DHS Funded Video: Surviving an Active Shooter Event (for the unarmed citizen)

brtndr 2012/07/29 23:22:35
"After last week’s shooting at a movie theater in Aurora, Colo., the city of Houston has released a how-to video on surviving a shooter event.

The video was created with funds from the Homeland Security Department.

“I can’t imagine the horror and grief. If it is at all possible for any good to come out of it, perhaps it can be letting people know the options to consider if it happens again,” said Mayor Annise Parker in a statement."
http://www.federalnewsradio.com/473/2966001/DHS-funded-video-...

After I watched the DHS funded video advising people on how to survive a Matrix style mass shooting by Neo, or a T-101 after you’ve been targeted for “Termination” by Skynet, or something. I give the video only “one star” out of 10, for lack of originality, improperly informing the public, while attempting to demonize the 2nd amendment all at the same time.

The DHS video begins, with what appears to be an aging Arnold Swartzenegger stand-in, walking past some typical office sky rise buildings, in a typical downtown area, just before the video cuts to a typical office scene, that’s complete with a bunch of typical cubicles, and a few other rooms for snack breaks, and to copy stuff in, or for whatever people do in offices these days.

This is when the videos nerdy ineffectual sounding narrator, who is probably right out of the governments “Office Cubical Narration” central casting department informs us,

“It may feel like just another day at the office? BUT OCASSIONALLY, life feels more like an action movie than reality.” I think I’ve already covered what those action movies might be. So I’m going to suggest here, that if the DHS really wants to frighten the general public to the point of paranoia? Then they might want to check out some PSA clips on How to Spot a Communist” from the 1950’s. Now that’s some hard hitting powerful narration.

As the DHS video cuts back-and-forth to the Terminator reject, dressed like Neo and walking outside the typical office scene. The videos narrator continues with, “Authorities are working hard to protect you and to protect our public safety. But, sometimes, bad people do bad things.” Just before the mass shooter arrives inside the typical office scene and starts blowin’ some people away.(I agree DHS narrator, that’s not a very nice thing to do)

Which brings us to the portion of the video where the DHS attempts to make a few helpful suggestions, on how to respond after you, or one of your co-workers, has been targeted for “Termination” by Skynet.

Well, apparently because no one in the office has a firearm at the time of the shooting, then the first thing to do is “Run”. In case, your natural instinct doesn’t automatically inform you of this option. Once you exit the building and reach a safe enough place away from the zone of Termination, or where Neo is attempting to rescue Morpheus from inside the Matrix? Then call 911.(if an Agent Smith arrives shortly thereafter? Then you’ll know which action movie you’re currently in)

However, if you can’t run to a safe place, then DHS suggest that you “Hide”. In case, your natural instinct doesn’t automatically inform you of this option. Your options here includes, hiding under your cubical desk, or barring the door in the break room with the candy dispenser. And, If you’re in the copying room? Then use the copying machine, and remember to lock the door and turn off the lights. Hey, it all worked great for Sarah Connors in the original Terminator. However, don’t call 911 when exercising the “Hide” option, but instead turn off your cell phone so as to not draw attention to yourself, and let the people who ran away do all the 911 calling.(provided someone got away safely? Otherwise, you’re pretty much screwed)

Surprisingly though, the DHS video does recommend fighting back, if you’re hiding in the break room and the shooter suddenly gets the munchies. Unfortunately, no one has a firearm to fight back with, so you’ll have to do your best with plastic chairs and a fire extinguisher against a shot gun wielding mass murdering maniac. (Oh, Stop Complaining and just grab something)

If you manage to survive until the paramilitary first responders show up with machine guns, while dressed in police attire and camouflage military uniforms. Don’t bother asking why military soldiers would wear camouflage uniforms while responding to an office shooter. Just be grateful that a para-military force responded so quickly if the break room counter-attack failed.

Once the first responders arrive, the DHS video informs us that their not there to evacuate or tend to the injured, but are there for the sole purpose to stop the shooter.

1st) Remain Calm and follow instruction.(seems reasonable enough, after all, I don’t want to be a problem for a paramilitary force carrying machine guns)

2nd) Keep Hands Visible at all times.(I guess, so the first responders don’t mistake me for the shooter and shoot me for safety reasons)

3rd) Avoid Pointing or Yelling.(So just shut-Up after being the victim of a senseless massacre and let the professionals take over from here)

4th) Know that Help is on its way.(I assume this mainly applies to the injured, who should just keep calm and quiet while in agony, with your hands visible at all times. Because Help is on its way)

Remember, as the DHS video points out, “Your actions can make a difference. For your safety and survival.” So, Run and Hide, and if that fails then Fight, with all the might that your plastic chairs and fire extinguisher will allow. And, call 911, then wait for help to arrive while your co-workers are yelling and screaming in fear and agony as they’re being murdered inside. Hey, not your problem now that you’re safe outside.

Read More: http://www.federalnewsradio.com/473/2966001/DHS-fu...

• Ryan 2012/09/08 03:58:54 (edited)
    Ryan
    Let's see.

The Police generally consider these active killer events to be four victims within a twenty minute period. That doesn't mean 4 people have to be injured or killed though, several of the attempted attack ended in just seconds with only one or two victims, but it's clear the attacker intended more.

These attacks average about 6 minutes, and that average included at least one that went on for almost an hour, so many are much shorter than 6 minutes. All you really need to know is that's far shorter than the average Police Response time.

They are most likely to end because somebody resists the killer with force and violence of their own.

About 50% of these Active Killer events end because an unarmed citizen fights back.

About 25% end because an armed citizen fights back.

The other 25% are either the Police ending the event (normally a single officer who enters to engage the killer) or the killer breaking off the attack for some reason.

These killers aren't Rambo, a Matrix Agent, or the Terminator. They are for the most part cowards with limited firearms training. (Aurora shooter's AR jammed because of the drum mag, making it useless because he couldn't clear it)

They can be and often are defeated.

If you can get to safety go for it by all means. Also by all means barricade y...

Let's see.

They can be and often are defeated.

If you can get to safety go for it by all means. Also by all means barricade yourself in a secure location if you can.

Then again if he's close enough you can see him your best bet may be to fight him.

If you are carrying a gun please use it.

If you aren't then a few tips, holding the cylinder on a revolver will keep it from firing in most cases, though if it's cocked it will fire once.

Pushing the slide on a semi-auto pistol back just a fraction of an inch will render it unable to fire at all.

You can do both one handed with a little practice.

Long guns generally need two hands to control, but just one can generally keep the muzzle pointed away from you.

The other hand should be going for the killer, and remember this isn't a dojo or MMA. There are no rules.

Rip off his ear (scary how little force is needed), gouge eyes, spear throat, break fingers, wrench testicles (assuming a male killer), etc.

Fight dirty, and don't stop until he isn't a threat to you anymore.
  • Gregaj7 2012/08/27 21:23:48
    For the "average" individual this does have some logic to it. For the "MacGuyver"ish types making the third option (fight) #1 is probable.
  • CHUCK 2012/07/31 19:24:49
    CHUCK
    HEY I WOULD RATHER HAVE A GUN WITH ME.,BUT THESE IDEAS ARE OF SOME VALUE..
  • Bucky 2012/07/30 21:17:45
    Bucky
    +2
    This is how it's done!

• Gregaj7 Bucky 2012/08/27 21:24:48
    +1
    Absolutely agreed!
  • Dolly 2012/07/30 03:40:52
    Dolly
    +1
    What a sad state of affairs here.
  • Beccy 2012/07/30 01:27:04
    +2
    Funny they came up with it days after it happened. They want to take away our guns.
  • StupidGreedyRightWingButtKi... 2012/07/29 23:43:11
    StupidGreedyRightWingButtKisser
    +2
    Wow what would I do without the government. I was thinking I should jump up and down and say nya nya nya nya nya nyaaa you can't shoot me.
  • ElisaGalvan 2012/07/29 23:33:39
    ElisaGalvan
    +1
    well.. it's worth it... ain't it?
  • ConLibFraud 2012/07/29 23:26:03
  • meshell ConLibF... 2012/07/29 23:43:40
    meshell
    +3
    yeah dick when your at work and dont have your gun.. chances are most would freeze in a situation. and end up getting shot anyway.. its all good to have a gun for protection.. Using it is the thing.
  • ConLibF... meshell 2012/07/29 23:48:46
    ConLibFraud
    +2
    Ever heard of the 2nd Amendment?
  • Pat ConLibF... 2012/07/30 00:34:06
    +2
    Most employers would probably fire any employee who brought a gun to the office.
  • ConLibF... Pat 2012/07/30 08:45:18
    ConLibFraud
    Ever heard of the 2nd Amendment?
  • Pat ConLibF... 2012/07/30 23:33:33
    Yes, I've heard of it but I still think and employer would fire someone who insisted on bringing a weapon to work.
  • ConLibF... Pat 2012/07/30 23:39:40
    ConLibFraud
    The constitution and bill of rights are the supreme law of the land. The employers can phuck off.
  • Pat ConLibF... 2012/07/30 23:47:19
    Brilliant.
  • meshell ConLibF... 2012/07/30 00:41:31
    meshell
    ever shoot at someone?? even in dire circumstances a lot cant pull the trigger. this is how so many get shot with their own gun. all good to say you can. Till the time comes.
  • ConLibF... meshell 2012/07/30 08:46:10
    ConLibFraud
    Foreign language that needs to be stricken.
  • meshell ConLibF... 2012/07/31 22:23:49
    meshell
    oh sunshine id like you to stand in front of your boss and others and say that. its the same as actually using a gun. you'll say you can/will do it but when the time comes . Do you have the balls. or just the mouth.
  • ConLibF... meshell 2012/08/01 01:46:22
    ConLibFraud
    LOL! See how you have been programmed! I REFUSE to work anywhere that stomps on the 2nd Amendment and puts my life in danger. Keep talking their language they have crammed down you and see where it gets you.
  • meshell ConLibF... 2012/08/01 05:27:33
    meshell
    well then good luck working for any decent company then, if they let paronoid fools take guns to work, then they cant have much in the way of sense.
  • ConLibF... meshell 2012/08/01 13:10:45
    ConLibFraud
    You need to close one hole and open 2 - your ears. You are a total non thinker. You have been so programmed to think that your only option is to work for someone and be a slave. Phucking disgusting.
  • meshell ConLibF... 2012/08/01 13:44:39
  • ConLibF... meshell 2012/08/01 13:46:39
    ConLibFraud
    You are nothing but a programmed non thinker waiting for your masters to tell you what to do next.
  • meshell ConLibF... 2012/08/01 13:51:05
    meshell
    O K S H O U L D I J U S T W A I T
  • Ryan meshell 2012/09/08 03:42:58
    Ryan
    I've been there, and can say absolutely I could.

Didn't have a gun since i was in college, but I know for a fact if i'd had one I would have pulled the trigger.

If the knife i had wasn't a piece of junk that would have broken I'd have used that too.
  • meshell Ryan 2012/09/08 03:52:23
    meshell
    I'm sure most could under the right cirucmstances. As a teenager i sat in the truck with a loaded gun next to me, my boyfriend was opening a gate. I'm looking at the gun and at him, wondering. What would it feel like to shoot someone, or how much would it hurt to be shot..I didnt go out shooting with him for a while after that.Threr was no reason , i liked him. Everyone has that little evil bastard running around in them, .Some just like to play with theirs. ans some he bugger gets the better of them.
  • Ryan meshell 2012/09/08 04:14:39 (edited)
    Ryan
    +1
    Oh everyone has the potential to kill.

Good people keep that primal part of themselves reigned in tight unless it's truly needed.

And I fully believe there are some people who have no business owning a gun.

2014/10/26 07:41:27