‘Dark Knight Rises’ Sets Box Office Record Despite Tragedy: Surprised?

Chris D 2012/07/23 21:00:00
Looks like the mass shooting in Colorado did not deter Batman fans. Are you surprised the film broke records at the box office?

LATINO.FOXNEWS.COM reports:
Despite the tragedy, the last installment of Christopher Nolan’s Batman trilogy had record three-day opening weekend with $160 million at the box office.
nolans batman trilogy record three-day opening weekend 160 box office

Read More: http://latino.foxnews.com/latino/entertainment/201...

• Ronzo 2012/07/24 00:00:17
    Ronzo
    I think they will need the all the money they can squeeze out of the public.
  • Alex 2012/07/23 23:58:33
    Alex
    +1
    Have you SEEN the movie?? It was AWESOME!
  • Joey 2012/07/23 23:54:09
    Joey
    Since I am too find out wait record they broke.
  • ✞Knight... Joey 2012/07/24 00:06:36 (edited)
    ✞Knight of Honor
    +1
    To my knowledge, none; even take a look. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/...
  • freakou... ✞Knight... 2012/07/24 00:54:50
    freakoutnow... cuz mom's here
    +2
    It's the third highest opening weekend domestically ever. The number one opening weekend ever for a non-3D film (besting previous holder The Dark Knight's record for being best non-3D opening but a mere 2 million and some change). The two highest opening weekends ever were Harry Potter 7.2 with 169 million and then The Avengers with 207 million. So it did set a ''dubious'' record of being the highest opening weekend for a film without 3-D but that's child's play really.
  • ✞Knight... freakou... 2012/07/24 10:30:10
    ✞Knight of Honor
    3rd place isn't a new record. If I were in track and I get 3rd place for the time record, that's not a NEW RECORD.
  • freakou... ✞Knight... 2012/07/24 16:10:30
    freakoutnow... cuz mom's here
    You can set a new record for fastest time for a silver medal winner, fastest time for a bronze medal winner, fastest time for a non medal winner, or even fastest time for a runner who finished in last place. Those records however are SUBSET records that mean nothing really. It's the ranking among the main records and not the subset are what really matter because those are the real deal record holders. The subset record holders are dubious at best usually.
  • ✞Knight... freakou... 2012/07/25 20:52:02
    ✞Knight of Honor
    +1
    "Those records however are SUBSET records that mean nothing really."
    -That's my point.
  • freakou... Joey 2012/07/24 01:02:08
    freakoutnow... cuz mom's here
    +1
    It set the record for largest opening weekend for a film without 3-D but barely beat it's predecessor (TDK) to get that record. The final Harry Potter film and The Avengers are the only films to have higher opening weekends than The Dark Knight Rises but they both had 3-D. So it's a ''dubious'' record that it broke.
  • Joey freakou... 2012/07/24 02:28:34
    Joey
    +1
    Thanks
  • Bee Bee 2012/07/23 23:52:24
    Bee Bee
    +1
    Why would people stay away from this movie. If the Theater in Aurora had alarms on the Emergency exit, this mass shooting could have been averted. This theater could be sued because of this. You can bet the other theaters in the US will ensure their alarms are working and respond.
  • Ozymandias 2012/07/23 23:47:56
  • Squatch 2012/07/23 23:35:10
    Squatch
    +1
    Great movie in an otherwise bleak movie season. Terrible about the tragedy, but people are not going to sit home and cower. That is what all the crazies want us to do.
  • Ronzo Squatch 2012/07/24 00:06:22
    Ronzo
    Come on now, I went fishing with my son and grandson and would not trade the fun we had, IT IS REAL and not Fiction. I'm glad you enjoyed it and sorry that's what makes your life worth living. S.A.D.A.
  • Squatch Ronzo 2012/07/24 00:55:31
    Squatch
    +1
    WTF do you know??? I am an avid shooter and fisherman too. Just not narrow minded.
  • Donald ... Ronzo 2012/07/24 14:36:09
    Donald Eric Kesler
    What is wrong with gathering with friends at a local theater and mutually enjoying a story together? I am glad you enjoyed fishing, but not everyone enjoys the same thing.

Who said anything at all about what makes one's life worth living? Where did that come from?
  • Dickens 2012/07/23 23:34:29
    Dickens
    +1
    ...nope, not a bit surprised...in the world of making money from movies, you can't BUY publicity like that...
  • Ronzo Dickens 2012/07/24 00:07:42
    Ronzo
    Your a wise one, Good reply Dicken's
  • Libertys Martyr 2012/07/23 23:27:37
    Libertys Martyr
    +1
    No, our actions shouldn't be motivated by fear. I'm not gonna say it's a "noble thing" to go and see a movie despite the shooting, but I feel truly sorry for those who avoided seeing the movie for that reason. Also, the whole "no costumes" rule is a real disappointing move on behalf of AMC.
  • Ronzo Liberty... 2012/07/24 00:10:54
    Ronzo
    +1
    Kind of like telling you what you can eat, drink and what insurance to buy? I agree No Costumes will save many. NOT
  • Delete 2012/07/23 23:24:26
  • Ronzo Delete 2012/07/24 00:15:47
    Ronzo
    Not always Greg, Obama's making fun of Mitt Romney's singing of America and some of the twisted attack's on Romney has not been good for Mitt. People don't always check out the facts, kind of like Brian Ross reporting on the tea party and James Holmes.
  • sundance 2012/07/23 23:15:20 (edited)
    sundance
    +1
    As people are actually self serving, and self ingratiating, regardless of the tragedy, life goes on. Anymore, I am surprised when something like Aurora, actually gets higher billing than Lindsay Lohan in public with no undies. I will tell you this though. Lindsay and her exposed genitals, will get better coverage. Sad but true....Just a thought....
  • lil crazy 2012/07/23 23:15:12 (edited)
    lil crazy
    +3
    but it still didn't beat "The Avengers"

the avengers
  • Alex lil crazy 2012/07/24 00:01:53
    Alex
    But the Dark Knight Rises made the Avenger's plot look like Bob the f*cking Builder, so guess they're even ;)
  • ✞Knight... Alex 2012/07/24 00:08:53 (edited)
    ✞Knight of Honor
    The Avengers plot was simple, but not as cheezy, unbelievable, contrived, or unsatisfying as The Dark Knight Rises plot.
  • Alex ✞Knight... 2012/07/24 02:22:45
    Alex
    "The Avengers plot was simple, but not as cheezy, unbelievable, contrived, or unsatisfying as The Dark Knight Rises plot."

Oh please explain this charge. I gotta hear this.

I know we all got our own opinions, but if you deem the TDKR as "cheesy" and "unsatisfying", then what exactly is the Avengers? I mean it's a good movie, but never for a second did I think Loki had even the slightest chance of succeeding. He wasn't menacing, he lacked conviction, and was constantly being told this throughout the film. It was good entertainment, but the movie didn't make you really think about anything--a signature trademark of all of Christopher Nolan's films.
  • ✞Knight... Alex 2012/07/24 10:43:54
  • Alex ✞Knight... 2012/07/24 11:27:01
  • ✞Knight... Alex 2012/07/25 21:16:53 (edited)
    ✞Knight of Honor
    " The Avengers and TDKR are to comic books as Star Wars and the Alien series are to science fiction. They are both good series, but one is clearly tailored to a different audience, and thus has more mature and complex themes associated with it."
    -Fair analogy, but The Dark Knight was better tailored to everyone as a target audience.

"A terrorist creates a dictatorship"? I'm sorry but that's not even what happened. Bane wasn't a dictator, he was a terrorist and an ANARCHIST seeking to upset the established order of corruption in Gotham for the sole purpose of DESTROYING Gotham itself!"
    -I was trying not to spoil the movie for others, but you have to admit that his "anarchist" terrorist dictatorship was completely silly stupid (It was trying to do too many things at once). Ra's Al Ghul's plan to just destroy Gotham City made sense in Batman Begins, but this one was just silly stupidity. Why wouldn't they just immediately trigger the bomb and destroy Gotham City? Why pointlessly risk Batman's inevitable intervention?

"The movie dealt with wealth disparity, how the rich are thriving while everyone else is stagnant."
    -That's a very old theme, that's been covered since "A Christmas Carol." Since the villains were poor and the Hero was rich; that message was kind of discredited in the n...

-That's a very old theme, that's been covered since "A Christmas Carol." Since the villains were poor and the Hero was rich; that message was kind of discredited in the narrative format.

"It dealt with collectivism, how after Bane took over, the rich were taken from their homes and put on mock trials, sentenced to death and their property being made the people's, and all the unintended consequences following that."
    -A silly allusion to Communist Revolution legal systems; "Nineteen Eighty-four" and countless other stories have expressed this in less silly more intellectual formats.

"It dealt with conquering your fears and doing what was right,"
    -Can you name a Superhero movie that didn't?

"it dealt with truth the and the repercussions of living off lies."
    -To an extent, but their troubled Gordon seemed forced and unauthentic. I would consider Captain Sisko's portrayal that a lie for a good cause can be lived with to be more realistic and believable (DS9: In the Pale Moonlight).

"The film is far more intelligent than you write it off to be, and if you couldn't see all those messages while watching it the first time, then perhaps you should revisit it for a second."
    -I will admit that it had a lot of themes, but it seemed like they were recycled themes that lacked originality and quality. They were all cheesy and poorly executed in presentation.
    "If by "plane" you mean the Bat, no, it is not indestructible"
    -It can take endless riffle fire and even missiles from the Tumblers without getting damaged. It took a nuclear weapon to destroy it!

"didn't he use his EMP gun? Well gee... maybe Bane stole it when he stole all his gear from his armory?"
    -Nope, he used it in the fight with Bane to turn off the lights. Why wouldn't he use it more productively? If Bane did steal it, why didn't any of the henchmen use it?

"If the movie happened so easily as you just put it, you would probably fault it even further for being unentertaining and unrealistic."
    -I think they should have either embraced the futuristic weapons or not introduced them at all. The movie couldn't figure out if it was set in the futuristic technology or modern technology.

"Because Batman doesn't kill, and you making that comment demonstrates you either never saw the other Batman movies or have a predisposed bias against this franchise. Good job."
    -Okay, not necessarily kill (although in the comics, original movies, and many cartoon series, he's killed many [In Batman Begins, he really did kill Ra's Al Ghul; he blew up the tracks and let him plummet off to his death]) but capture. Why did he just let him go both times?

"You're entitled to that opinion. But "perfect" is milking it way beyond the point of credibility."
    -I honestly can't think of how The Avengers could have been improved (which is very rare for me).
  • Alex ✞Knight... 2012/07/25 21:59:57
    Alex
    "Why wouldn't they just immediately trigger the bomb and destroy Gotham City? Why pointlessly risk Batman's inevitable intervention?"

Not counting the time it took for Miranda Tate to infiltrate into the core of Wayne Enterprises, Bane said it all after he "broke" Batman. It was to poison the souls of Gotham with hope, with the belief that maybe they could escape their fate of destruction. It was a sick plan.

"That's a very old theme, that's been covered since "A Christmas Carol." Since the villains were poor and the Hero was rich; that message was kind of discredited in the narrative format."

But considering what's going on in our world today, it makes very much sense and is more relevant than ever.

"A silly allusion to Communist Revolution legal systems; "Nineteen Eighty-four" and countless other stories have expressed this in less silly more intellectual formats."

"Silly" is, again, YOUR opinion. But thank you for finally recognizing that such themes do exist, AFTER I pointed them out to you.

"Can you name a Superhero movie that didn't?"

Then what superhero film would this be, much less a Batman film, if it didn't?

"To an extent, but their troubled Gordon seemed forced and unauthentic. I would consider Captain Sisko's portrayal that a lie for a good cause can be lived with t...

"To an extent, but their troubled Gordon seemed forced and unauthentic. I would consider Captain Sisko's portrayal that a lie for a good cause can be lived with to be more realistic and believable"

Again, your opinion. But again, glad to see you're finally recognizing these messages within the film.

"I will admit that it had a lot of themes, but it seemed like they were recycled themes that lacked originality and quality. They were all cheesy and poorly executed in presentation."

Thank you for your admission.

"It can take endless riffle fire and even missiles from the Tumblers without getting damaged. It took a nuclear weapon to destroy it!"

The Bat's pretty much a floating Tumbler, so sustaining bullets from AK-47's and handguns? C'mon. And I counted two shots it took from the Tumbler (I rewatched it yesterday). Not anything noteworthy there.

"Nope, he used it in the fight with Bane to turn off the lights. Why wouldn't he use it more productively? If Bane did steal it, why didn't any of the henchmen use it?"

This was something I looked for yesterday. When Batman was conspiring with Fox to track the weapon, Fox tells him that he needed the EMP module from the Bat before going to the reactor. In addition, he gave one similar to Gordon, to which he used it to block the bomb's trigger transmission when Miranda Tate tried to detonate the bomb manually.

"I think they should have either embraced the futuristic weapons or not introduced them at all. The movie couldn't figure out if it was set in the futuristic technology or modern technology."

Lol they used the technology quite a bit...

"Okay, not necessarily kill (although in the comics, original movies, and many cartoon series, he's killed many [In Batman Begins, he really did kill Ra's Al Ghul; he blew up the tracks and let him plummet off to his death]) but capture. Why did he just let him go both times?"

No... Gordon blew up the tracks, and Batman fled the subway car before it derailed and blew up. Like Batman said himself: "I won't kill you. But I don't have to save you." It's one of those fine lines and situations that dispose of the villain without getting the hero's hands "dirty". It's nothing new.

"I honestly can't think of how The Avengers could have been improved (which is very rare for me)."

I can, but it's merely our opinions duking it out at this point.
  • ✞Knight... Alex 2012/07/25 22:11:13 (edited)
    ✞Knight of Honor
    "Bane said it all after he "broke" Batman. It was to poison the souls of Gotham with hope, with the belief that maybe they could escape their fate of destruction. It was a sick plan."
    -For me, that was just ridiculousness only there to feed the drama; as you pointed out, Bane (or someone else who I shouldn't mention) was more intelligent than Batman, couldn't he know that this plan didn't make sense and was doomed to fail?

"Thank you for your admission."
    -You did have a legitimate opinion; there are many themes in The Dark Knight Rises, but in my opinion, they don't get developed or focused on as much as they deserve.

"The Bat's pretty much a floating Tumbler, so sustaining bullets from AK-47's and handguns? C'mon. And I counted two shots it took from the Tumbler (I rewatched it yesterday). Not anything noteworthy there."
    -That's my point, it's practically invincible. Why did he ever get out of the plane? Why didn't he just use it to pin Bane (non-lethally) or use a net to trap him, and then interrogate him?

"Lol they used the technology quite a bit..."
    -Only in the beginning, Batman hardly utilized his super weapons for most of the movie. Instead he decided to mindlessly punch Bane and other henchmen.

"Like Batman said himself: "I won't kill you. But I don't have to save you." ...

"Thank you for your admission."

"Like Batman said himself: "I won't kill you. But I don't have to save you." It's one of those fine lines and situations that dispose of the villain without getting the hero's hands "dirty"."
    -So if I order a soldier to kill someone, I didn't kill them? That was as lame of an excuse as possible. Batman ordered the train tracks blown up and let Ra's Al Ghul plummet to his death. How is that not being responsible for his death?

"I can, but it's merely our opinions duking it out at this point."
    -True, but that's a conversation. Since you listened to my criticisms for The Dark Knight Rises, I'd be willing to hear your criticisms for The Avengers.
  • Alex ✞Knight... 2012/07/25 22:28:18
    Alex
    "For me, that was just ridiculousness only there to feed the drama; as you pointed out, Bane (or someone else who I shouldn't mention) was more intelligent than Batman, couldn't he know that this plan didn't make sense and was doomed to fail?"

What kind of movie would that be then? I'm glad though that you're starting to view the film in terms of realism instead of pure entertainment. It shows just how powerful it really is.

"That's my point, it's practically invincible. Why did he ever get out of the plane? Why didn't he just use it to pin Bane (non-lethally) or use a net to trap him, and then interrogate him?"

At that point in the film, it was just complete chaos everywhere, and you know that. Not only could other people be endangered by doing what you mentioned, but it wouldn't be nearly as fun to watch either (and we wouldn't have gotten that "twist" either).

"Only in the beginning, Batman hardly utilized his super weapons for most of the movie. Instead he decided to mindlessly punch Bane and other henchmen."

Well he was MIA for 2/3 of the film so, what are you expecting? And when he was in action he was using the Bat, bat pod, EMP devices (until others required them), bombs, cape, and utility belt. What else did he need to use, pixy dust? And mindlessly punching Bane... ...

Well he was MIA for 2/3 of the film so, what are you expecting? And when he was in action he was using the Bat, bat pod, EMP devices (until others required them), bombs, cape, and utility belt. What else did he need to use, pixy dust? And mindlessly punching Bane... yeah no. This is a Batman film after all, he kinda needed to fight him (the first time being to purely defeat him, and the second to find out the location of the nuclear core). Wasn't "mindless" in the least bit.

"So if I order a soldier to kill someone, I didn't kill them? That was as lame of an excuse as possible. Batman ordered the train tracks blown up and let Ra's Al Ghul plummet to his death. How is that not being responsible for his death?"

No, you didn't kill them.. as you just pointed out. Responsibility is another thing however, but you said Batman killed Ra's al Ghul, and to that I said he did not. And that's a fine line that's present in how many comic book story lines/movies...

"True, but that's a conversation. Since you listened to my criticisms for The Dark Knight Rises, I'd be willing to hear your criticisms for The Avengers."

Yeah I heard your criticisms of TDKR, but I enjoyed the Avengers as it was and I don't need to nit-pick. It was a wonderful film that I enjoyed. All my original comment said was that the plot of TDKR was more sophisticated, more relevant to our world today, than the Avengers, which is the classic "save the world" fare--which stems right back to my Star Wars-Alien analogy.
  • ✞Knight... Alex 2012/07/25 22:44:26
    ✞Knight of Honor
    "What kind of movie would that be then? I'm glad though that you're starting to view the film in terms of realism instead of pure entertainment. It shows just how powerful it really is."
    -If it were more realistic (or at least consistent with technological advantages), it would be like most good Superhero movies. Fictional but with realistic themes and tones; just like The Dark Knight managed but Dark knight Rises ignored. I think it went too far into the fantasy realm compared to Batman Begins and The Dark Knight.

"At that point in the film, it was just complete chaos everywhere, and you know that. Not only could other people be endangered by doing what you mentioned, but it wouldn't be nearly as fun to watch either (and we wouldn't have gotten that "twist" either)."
    -It just was too illogical for the scenario; none of the events could have possibly happened. BTW, I consider the Twist to be the best plot aspect of the film (although that ended suddenly and uneventfully; they could do so much and then just die in a minor car accident?)

"Well he was MIA for 2/3 of the film so, what are you expecting?"
    -I was expecting for Batman not to be MIA for 2/3 of a Batman movie.

"And when he was in action he was using the Bat, bat pod, EMP devices (until others required them), bombs, cape,...

"And when he was in action he was using the Bat, bat pod, EMP devices (until others required them), bombs, cape, and utility belt."
    -If he had consistently done that, the movie would have been really good, but when he fought Bane, suddenly he forgot about all of those super-weapons?

"And mindlessly punching Bane... yeah no. This is a Batman film after all, he kinda needed to fight him (the first time being to purely defeat him, and the second to find out the location of the nuclear core). Wasn't "mindless" in the least bit."
    -So jump punching Bane repeatedly in the head was a brilliant strategy? You have a point for the second one, he had to interrogate Bane, but why didn't he utilize any of his technology the first fight when he was just trying to defeat him?

"save the world" fare--which stems right back to my Star Wars-Alien analogy."
    -It is a good analogy, but it isn't quite that simple.
  • Alex ✞Knight... 2012/07/26 07:04:46
    Alex
    "If it were more realistic (or at least consistent with technological advantages), it would be like most good Superhero movies. Fictional but with realistic themes and tones; just like The Dark Knight managed but Dark knight Rises ignored. I think it went too far into the fantasy realm compared to Batman Begins and The Dark Knight."

I agree with your assessment of the Dark Knight (my favorite movie without question), but I found TDKR to be comparable with Batman Begins. That, however, is not a con in my eyes whatsoever.

"It just was too illogical for the scenario; none of the events could have possibly happened. BTW, I consider the Twist to be the best plot aspect of the film (although that ended suddenly and uneventfully; they could do so much and then just die in a minor car accident?)"

Save for Gotham being destroyed, Bane and the League of Shadows accomplished much of what they wanted. They exposed the corruption of the police and government, they fed hope to the populace, and sent the entire city into social upheaval. And as for the car accident, well, when you fall head first from an overpass and survive, hit me up (though I do agree it was kinda anti-climactic. A "cooler" death would have been, well, cooler).

"I was expecting for Batman not to be MIA for 2/3 of a Batman...

"I was expecting for Batman not to be MIA for 2/3 of a Batman movie."

Well he was MIA in the beginning because he kinda took the blame for Harvey Dent's murders. He was then MIA later because he kinda got his back broken and was thrown into a prison to rot. Though he was gone for much of the time, it wasn't without reason. And with that, we were able to see the development of the other characters (Selina Kyle and John Blake especially).

"If he had consistently done that, the movie would have been really good, but when he fought Bane, suddenly he forgot about all of those super-weapons?"

Two members of the League of Shadows duking it out is far more entertaining than any bat pod or tumbler scene. Sorry.

"So jump punching Bane repeatedly in the head was a brilliant strategy? You have a point for the second one, he had to interrogate Bane, but why didn't he utilize any of his technology the first fight when he was just trying to defeat him?"

It kinda was, considering his mask loosened up and he was visibly in pain. And again, two members of the League of Shadows duking it out, that's what we came here to see! Bane breaking Batman's back is SUPPOSED to happen whether you like it or not!

"It is a good analogy, but it isn't quite that simple."

I think so.
  • ✞Knight... Alex 2012/07/26 07:47:33
    ✞Knight of Honor
    "I found TDKR to be comparable with Batman Begins. That, however, is not a con in my eyes whatsoever."
    -I thought Batman Begins (I thought that Batman Begins was good; Liam Neilson's performance was amazing.) was better than The Dark Knight Rises.

"They exposed the corruption of the police and government"
    -Why did Gotham's city and police trust an insane terrorist over Gordon? Even though Bane's statements were accurate, how would the average person know? Wouldn't they naturally distrust Bane?

"they fed hope to the populace"
    -Why? That is the silly part of the plot; why risk encouraging a rebellion of citizens against the henchmen?

"though I do agree it was kinda anti-climactic. A "cooler" death would have been, well, cooler."
    -Bane's death was also anti-climatic to say the least. At least they gave a cool death to Ra's Al Ghul in Batman Begins.

"Though he was gone for much of the time, it wasn't without reason. And with that, we were able to see the development of the other characters (Selina Kyle and John Blake especially)."
    -John Blake was one of the best things in the movie, but I felt that Ann Hathaway's performance on Catwoman was very mediocre (at least compared to Michelle Pfeiffer), the costume was silly (it didn't really conceal her identity at all; most of her face and ...

"they fed hope to the populace"

-John Blake was one of the best things in the movie, but I felt that Ann Hathaway's performance on Catwoman was very mediocre (at least compared to Michelle Pfeiffer), the costume was silly (it didn't really conceal her identity at all; most of her face and hair was clearly visible), and her character wasn't likable (nor was her character change believable). I must admit that I was hoping for a lot more from Catwoman and Bane.

"Two members of the League of Shadows duking it out is far more entertaining than any bat pod or tumbler scene. Sorry."
    -Let's agree to disagree on what's more entertaining for this fight then, but you have to admit that it's hard to believe that he wouldn't have used any of his gadgets/weapons (what about the arm spikes that launch in The Dark Knight, where did those go?).

"Bane breaking Batman's back is SUPPOSED to happen whether you like it or not!"
    -I had no problem with Batman's back breaking (the allusion to The Man who Broke The Bat was good), but it gets solved by a prisoner punching him in the back? You can't pay for that kind of medical surgery... My main criticism was for how primitive the fight sequences were when Batman has advanced technology to utilize.
  • Alex ✞Knight... 2012/07/26 09:59:13
    Alex
    "I thought Batman Begins (I thought that Batman Begins was good; Liam Neilson's performance was amazing.) was better than The Dark Knight Rises."

Liam was phenomenal as Ra's. Again, I reiterate that they are equally entertaining and well produced to me.

"Why did Gotham's city and police trust an insane terrorist over Gordon? Even though Bane's statements were accurate, how would the average person know? Wouldn't they naturally distrust Bane?"

Majority of the GCPD was trapped underground, Gotham's mayor was assassinated at the Rogue's game, and over a thousand inmates were broken out of jail and joined Bane's "underground army". It's not that Gotham's officials "trusted" Bane, they simply didn't have the manpower nor willpower to combat him; not with the threat of a nuclear explosion hanging over their shoulders.

"Why? That is the silly part of the plot; why risk encouraging a rebellion of citizens against the henchmen?"

A rebellion amongst the general public wouldn't happen to begin with. With the exposure of the police and government's corruption, and Bane collectivizing all of Gotham, the people had no reason to rebel. And for that, they didn't. The only "rebellion" came from Gordon, Blake, Fox, Kyle, and Batman after they broke out the trapped policemen within 12 hours of d...

A rebellion amongst the general public wouldn't happen to begin with. With the exposure of the police and government's corruption, and Bane collectivizing all of Gotham, the people had no reason to rebel. And for that, they didn't. The only "rebellion" came from Gordon, Blake, Fox, Kyle, and Batman after they broke out the trapped policemen within 12 hours of detonation.

"Bane's death was also anti-climatic to say the least. At least they gave a cool death to Ra's Al Ghul in Batman Begins."

Indeed, I think they could have made his death more "epic" since he was such a bad guy throughout the movie.

"John Blake was one of the best things in the movie, but I felt that Ann Hathaway's performance on Catwoman was very mediocre (at least compared to Michelle Pfeiffer), the costume was silly (it didn't really conceal her identity at all; most of her face and hair was clearly visible), and her character wasn't likable (nor was her character change believable)."

Michelle Pfeiffer was a skank as Catwoman. Sorry, it just had to be said. I know Catwoman's supposed to be "sexy" and "seductive", but to me Anne Hathaway did that without crossing that line of "sexy vs skank". As for her costume it's spandex as the rest of em... and her mask is hardly any different from the Catwoman of the 60's show (you could see her hair there too...) I like how they made her goggles look like cat ears when they were resting on her head. It made them look like cat ears but still served a purpose and made them practical.

"Let's agree to disagree on what's more entertaining for this fight then, but you have to admit that it's hard to believe that he wouldn't have used any of his gadgets/weapons (what about the arm spikes that launch in The Dark Knight, where did those go?)."

I'm sure the arm spikes were right where they were in TDK, but I'm not disappointed by him not using them. And let's remember, just because Bruce put on the cowl and cape, that didn't make him Batman. He had to become Batman in not only body but also mind, and considering he was MIA for 8 years that simply didn't happen when he took on Bane for the first time (that's what Alfred was warning him of the entire time). Sure he could've used his gadgets, but I stand by what I said earlier. And hey, his back needed to be broken somehow.

"I had no problem with Batman's back breaking (the allusion to The Man who Broke The Bat was good), but it gets solved by a prisoner punching him in the back? You can't pay for that kind of medical surgery... My main criticism was for how primitive the fight sequences were when Batman has advanced technology to utilize."

That quick fix, along with the bionic knee brace, did seem a little too good to be true. Kinda diminished the realism of the film, but hey, it is a movie after all. It's these small things which we nitpick that keep the film from being perfect, but honestly, I wouldn't have it any other way.
  • ✞Knight... Alex 2012/07/26 10:11:41
    ✞Knight of Honor
    "Michelle Pfeiffer was a skank as Catwoman."
    -True, but not compared to Hathaway's Catwoman; Hathaway's Catwoman literally ran a prostitution ring.

"As for her costume it's spandex as the rest of em... and her mask is hardly any different from the Catwoman of the 60's show (you could see her hair there too...)"
    -True, but I felt this new series was supposed to be more realistic than Batman getting drugged by orange juice...

"I like how they made her goggles look like cat ears when they were resting on her head. It made them look like cat ears but still served a purpose and made them practical."
    -I liked that, but almost nothing else for her design. I felt the Pfeiffer design was strong, because almost any woman could have been under the costume; it served the most important function of a disguise, concealing her identity.
    Catwoman 1992

"Kinda diminished the realism of the film, but hey, it is a movie after all. It's these small things which we nitpick that keep the film from being perfect, but honestly, I wouldn't have it any other way."
    -How did the Dark Knight and Batman Begins do so much better at realism and seeming believable? It seems like Dark Knight Rises was a bit rushed.
  • Alex ✞Knight... 2012/07/26 11:08:47
    Alex
    "True, but not compared to Hathaway's Catwoman; Hathaway's Catwoman literally ran a prostitution ring."

Lol yeah no. Agree to disagree on that front.

"True, but I felt this new series was supposed to be more realistic than Batman getting drugged by orange juice..."

It certainly is. But a movie's a movie dude, if you want the real deal, it's called a costume.

"I liked that, but almost nothing else for her design. I felt the Pfeiffer design was strong, because almost any woman could have been under the costume; it served the most important function of a disguise, concealing her identity."

I like Pfeiffer's cat woman suit too, but as for her portrayal, nope.

"How did the Dark Knight and Batman Begins do so much better at realism and seeming believable? It seems like Dark Knight Rises was a bit rushed."

Batman Begins didn't really hit the realism department for me... the Dark Knight was closest to realism as a superhero movie can get, and I liked that a lot. TDKR seemed to take a step back in the realism department in place of entertainment, but I felt it was a superbly done film--not yet factoring in the fact that it is the third in the series.
  • ✞Knight... Alex 2012/07/27 00:01:13
    ✞Knight of Honor
    ["True, but not compared to Hathaway's Catwoman; Hathaway's Catwoman literally ran a prostitution ring."]

"Lol yeah no. Agree to disagree on that front."
    -No, she litterally did. Remember, her friend took the "customer's" wallet and Catwoman attacked him and forced him out (for $60). [It was based on Batman: Year One, where Catwoman was a prostitute].

"It certainly is. But a movie's a movie dude, if you want the real deal, it's called a costume."
    -It would have been nice to have The Dark Knight's level of realism return.

"Batman Begins didn't really hit the realism department for me... the Dark Knight was closest to realism as a superhero movie can get, and I liked that a lot. TDKR seemed to take a step back in the realism department in place of entertainment, but I felt it was a superbly done film--not yet factoring in the fact that it is the third in the series."
    -I was really hoping for a realistic take on Batman in the future, which I really didn't get.

2014/08/02 04:38:13