Critics Slam 'Kinect Star Wars': Still Want to Try It?

Gaming 2012/04/09 13:00:00
The Microsoft Kinect, a controller-free interface for the Xbox 360 and PC, seems like the perfect medium for a cutting-edge "Star Wars" game. While motion-sensor interfaces like the Wii have made lightsaber wielding more fun than ever, using the Force to hurl enemies and choking incompetent Admirals has never felt quite right. A lot was riding on "Kinect Star Wars," released last Tuesday.

Unfortunately, it didn't deliver. Critics are expressing widespread disappointment with the game. What could have been an epic choke de Force is being described as a clunky minigame compilation. In addition to two Force-centered campaigns, the game includes a podracer simulator, a Princess Leia dance-off, and a Rancor-based stompfest. And they might have gotten away with it, if those other sections hadn't been a cover-up for clunky force controls. But despite negative reviews, are you still willing to give "Kinect Star Wars" a shot?

• vinone 2012/04/09 21:15:58
    vinone
    I don't use my kinect, kinda a waste of money.
  • Stef an... vinone 2012/04/09 22:31:35
    Stef and the City
    Why? You're missing out. It's a good time!
  • vinone Stef an... 2012/04/09 22:35:33
    vinone
    +2
    There really aren't any good games, plus I don't really have anyone to play the "fun" games with.
  • Stef an... vinone 2012/04/09 22:38:24
    Stef and the City
    Aw, that sucks. The downhill skiing is AWESOME. I think I'd have fun doing that one by myself too.
  • vinone Stef an... 2012/04/09 22:42:23
    vinone
    +1
    Yeah, I had fun with them a few times, they got old really quick.
  • Stef an... vinone 2012/04/09 22:50:21
    Stef and the City
    I guess that might happen. I only play it when I'm at my parents house which isn't very often.
  • vinone Stef an... 2012/04/09 23:20:02
    vinone
    +1
    Yeah, my parents are Nintendo people, so the Wii comes first, lol.
  • ♌βļąƈʞƦơșƐ3033♌ 2012/04/09 21:13:36
  • Fred Weasley (bless his soul) 2012/04/09 20:58:05
    Fred Weasley (bless his soul)
    It looks TOTALLY BOSS :D
  • Zeus2713 2012/04/09 19:18:10
    Zeus2713
    it looks gay, I hate Xbox, and its a disgrace to Star Wars as a whole!
  • rustyshackelford 2012/04/09 19:17:58
  • David Lindner 2012/04/09 19:11:36
    David Lindner
    I have it. its awesome
  • Chris - The Rowdy One! #187 2012/04/09 18:27:27
  • Fred 2012/04/09 18:19:10
    Fred
    I always wait for the later versions ... need to get the bugs out
  • Phil 2012/04/09 18:04:22
    Phil
    I wouldn't. However when the next incarnation of the game comes out with fewer problems maybe i shall get that one.
  • Rai Moreason 2012/04/09 17:51:47
    Rai Moreason
    +1
    No harm in trying it,
    Critics had stated that the controls were terrible and a pain to behold on Kid Icarus Uprising, and I had no trouble grasping them immediately with little to no discomfort.
    And besides, there is always a danger that critics will judge a game based on their blood-sugar level than on the actual game itself.
  • Joey 2012/04/09 17:39:40
    Joey
    +1
    The Force is not strong in this one.

• Rai Mor... Joey 2012/04/09 17:55:19
    Rai Moreason
    +2
    Personally, I find this very amusing and intuitive! Video games nowadays really take themselves too seriously.
  • Zuggi Joey 2012/04/09 22:35:35
    Zuggi
    wtf.............
  • Joey Zuggi 2012/04/09 22:38:24
    Joey
    Just what I was thinking. I just hate the song is catchy.
  • Jimbo Joey 2012/04/10 01:20:52
    Jimbo
    +1
    I was going to get for my son but I don't think he'll like the dancing stuff. Thanks for posting the video.
  • Joey Jimbo 2012/04/10 01:41:28
    Joey
    +1
    That is just one mode .. but the other modes do not seem to be that much better. It has 56 out of 100 when getting the avg. sorce .
  • rosesve... Joey 2012/04/10 07:55:35
    rosesvengeance BN-0
    actually this video made me want to play it, sadly I don't own an xbox 360 and I won't be buying one just to play this game.
  • Harley Quinn 2012/04/09 17:04:55
    Harley Quinn
    And I can't anyways because I don't have the proper console.
  • Sterling 2012/04/09 16:45:36
    Sterling
    It honestly looked like the dumbest thing I'd ever seen well before critics had any say.
  • LarryStylinson 2012/04/09 15:45:47
    LarryStylinson
    +1
    Yeah well the critics also said Jennifer Lawrence wasn't thin enough to play Katniss, and the critics didn't like Christmas with the Kranks, so obviously they have no f*cking clue what they're talking about.
  • Corellianrogue 2012/04/09 14:34:44 (edited)
    Corellianrogue
    +2
    Kinect Star Wars is great! Ignore the critics, this is just a field day for them as they get to bash both Star Wars and Kinect. Most of them, the ones that always give Kinect games bad reviews, just can't play Kinect games properly and/or have set up their Kinects wrong. You just have to see videos of these people attempting to play Kinect games to see that. They claim to be "hardcore gamers" (yet don't even seem to know what a core game is) but then when you see them playing Kinect Star Wars, for example, they're flailing around and doing limp-wristed slapping. (And then complain that they're flailing around and blame the game and Kinect! :/ ) THAT'S NOT HOW YOU PLAY THE GAME! You're supposed to be a Jedi (padawan) so act like one. Swing the lightsaber like you're actually swinging a lightsaber, you can hold a toy lightsaber handle if you want or a torch or something to help you get the feel of it. Also the game is perfectly responsive and isn't laggy. (The duels are pretty crappy though. :( I don't know why they made them different to the rest of the lightsaber combat.)

Also that video above is from last year's E3 (June 2011) and the game was not only unfinished but it was even delayed (it was mean to come out at Christmas) so that they could fix the controls which they did. ...

Also that video above is from last year's E3 (June 2011) and the game was not only unfinished but it was even delayed (it was mean to come out at Christmas) so that they could fix the controls which they did. You have more control over your lightsaber and it's less laggy than in that video plus you don't say "Lightsaber on!" it just turns on at the start. And you can hold it with both hands if you want.
  • S123 Corelli... 2012/04/09 17:43:05
    S123
    +1
    What's a core game?

2014/10/21 18:46:50