Costas Admits Anti-Gun Commentary During Football a Mistake Without More Time: Should Costas Spend More Time on Politics During NFL?

Fef 2012/12/05 18:43:54
Bob Costas spoke for nearly a minute during the NFL Sunday halftime show to discuss his personal opinions about a political topic. Costas received a lot of criticism for that. Now Costas says he admits he made a mistake -- but not because he spoke about politics, but because Costas wishes he spoke more about his anti-gun rant during football. Costas told Dan Patrick during an interview that he gave the NFL audience too much credit. Costas also said, "So I think that my mistake there was that I left it open to too much interpretation."

REALCLEARPOLITICS.COM reports:BOB COSTAS: And for a long time, I've been wanting to get off my chest my disgust with this idea that every time something tragic happens, no matter what it may be, that in any way touches sports, there's a chorus of people saying, 'You know, this really puts it in perspective.' Which is a bunch of nonsense, because if that was true, we wouldn't have to have that perspective readjusted every time the next tragedy occurs. It's a bunch of nonsense.

And what I was trying to say was, that if you want some perspective on this, there are a number of issues related to this that we could begin to talk about and think about. The problem was that I didn't have enough time to get to many of them. And that, I think, was my mistake, to be quite honest, Dan. A friend of mine in broadcasting pointed this out to me yesterday, and I agree with him. He said, 'You violated your own rule.' Because we have had this discussion before. I've always said, if you're going to get into touchy topics, nuanced topics, make sure that you have enough time to flesh them out, that you have enough time to make yourself fully understood, or save them for forums where you do. In this particular situation, the timeliness of it was, if you're going to comment on it at all, it had to be this Sunday. Because this is when the Belcher situation had played itself out. (The Dan Patrick Show, December 4, 2012)

Read More: http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2012/12/04/...

• Broken 2012/12/05 19:05:44
    It's Football. Take a Hike, Costas
    Broken
    +5
    If he wants to spout his pollitical opinions, let him go on the shows where that is the main purpose. Keep it away from sports. I will turn to another chanel if I know he is going to be a part of the broadcast team.

• Professor Wizard 2012/12/06 21:21:49
    It's Football. Take a Hike, Costas
    Professor Wizard
    Yea... he should quit his job as a Football Host, and see if NPR will hire him as a Political Commentary. - at least until the Government stops funding NPR, and they can no longer afford to pay him.
  • SK-pro scramnesty 2012/12/06 20:53:42
    It's Football. Take a Hike, Costas
    SK-pro scramnesty
    He'd been better off not commenting further and "apologizing." he just dug himself a deeper hole.
  • me 2012/12/06 18:54:26
    Give Costas More Time for Politics in NFL
    me
    I have no clue what this is about....some football tv coverage where one of the anchors talked for nearly a minute about politics? During the half time show? Isn't the half-time show the time when marching bands and girls wearing skimpy costumes come out and play and sing or chant and do acrobatics and synchronized marching/dancing/acrobatics for the titillation of the crowd? And he spoke during that? And somebody paid attention to what he said instead of watching bouncing titties and tight boy butts wiggling inside stretch pant marching uniforms and listening to the music? Or is that he actually super imposed himself OVER half time so nobody could see or hear the half time show? I guess football fans everywhere will have to decide. Me, I say "sure, why not. Nobody stops that silly blond woman on Fox News when she talks uninformedly about things that are so not news. If you don't like it, don't watch it.
  • S. Gompers 2012/12/06 06:15:21
    It's Football. Take a Hike, Costas
    S. Gompers
    +1
    I've watched my last football game as long as this idiot has a job. It is a shame most will not live by their convictions.
    It's Football. Take a Hike, Costas
    +1
    Maybe we ought to be looking at the drugs causing rage instead of the gun. This guy would have stabbed, or broken the poor women's neck if he didn't have a gun
  • gfreeman BN-0 2012/12/05 21:29:33
    gfreeman BN-0
    It's more interesting then the actual game.
  • Cn2012 2012/12/05 20:40:09
    It's Football. Take a Hike, Costas
    Cn2012
    +2
    OMG! I have very few moments in my life when I can relax and I don't want some blowhard ruining it. No thank you. If I want to hear about politics or peoples opinions, ill watch the freakin news.
  • kent 2012/12/05 20:06:06
    It's Football. Take a Hike, Costas
    kent
    +3
    When I tune in for a sports game on the tube, I don't want to hear about Bob Costas' thoughts on gun control...

I'm far more interested in his position on trickle down economics and how we can get fiscal responsibility from emerging nations.
  • Lanikai 2012/12/05 19:56:08
    It's Football. Take a Hike, Costas
    +2
    This was and is a DOMESTIC VIOLENCE issue, which the moron failed to address in his rush to kiss liberal MSM booty with his gun control BS.

Way to blow a perfect opportunity to let viewers know that domestic violence is NOT ok, and that it DOES affect women in all economic and race categories.

Way to go Bob, you just effectively prevented millions of men from hearing how BAD beating your wife or girlfriend is.
  • Bastion 2012/12/05 19:24:04
    Bastion
    No, DON'T have "more time for politics" in the NFL coverage - BUT your answer choices were bogus.

Why do you post on an opinion site if you only want to hear yourself?

Costas seems to be a smart guy, and I agree with his comments. Under the circumstances he was commenting on, his making his opinion known was appropriate. But it's a football show, so now move on.

I certainly wouldn't give time to all the gun-rights advocates who got their panties in a twist.
  • thefatguy 2012/12/05 19:22:58
    It's Football. Take a Hike, Costas
    thefatguy
    +4
    Costas is the 1%.
  • Broken 2012/12/05 19:05:44
    It's Football. Take a Hike, Costas
    Broken
    +5
  • Denny 2012/12/05 19:00:34
    It's Football. Take a Hike, Costas
    Denny
    +2
    Costas and the rest. it was Belcher's problem. He as its turning out was an evil kid. He had "eposodes" with women. You shoot someone once and " wish you could take it back", there is room for doubt......He shot her 9 times!!!!! You cannot protect or remake the human race, it isn't gonna happen. Mr Belcher is exactly where he needs to be.
  • jimih67 2012/12/05 18:59:55
    It's Football. Take a Hike, Costas
    jimih67
    +3
    Maybe he should trade the broadcast booth for a chair on CNN.
  • TheBadOne 2012/12/05 18:56:53
    It's Football. Take a Hike, Costas
    TheBadOne
    +1
    Although I'd have to admit, I'd much rather watch Costas and Emmett Smith (a noted conservative) discuss this on a round table after an NFL broadcast than to watch your typical "round table" show!
    It's Football. Take a Hike, Costas
    +3
    Costas can keep his anti-gun political crap to himself, a football game in no place for his personal and biased opinions. Hey Costas, STFU!!!!
  • Lerro DeHazel 2012/12/05 18:55:48
    It's Football. Take a Hike, Costas
    Lerro DeHazel
    +1
    Costas really sucks and he knows it.
  • beachbum 2012/12/05 18:51:24
    It's Football. Take a Hike, Costas
    beachbum
    +3
    Stick to sports broadcasting, Bobby Boy.
  • Transquesta 2012/12/05 18:50:14
    It's Football. Take a Hike, Costas
    Transquesta
    +3
    Who is Bob Costas? :-)
  • dear•LT13☻ 2012/12/05 18:46:02
    It's Football. Take a Hike, Costas
    dear•LT13☻
    +3
    Keep Costas - leave out politics.

2014/04/19 04:47:56