Cernunnos Celtic God of the Woods

☥☽✪☾DAW ☽✪☾ 2011/03/25 05:42:54
Related Topics: YouTube, Magic, Action, Flowers
Earth my body. Water my blood. Air my breath. Fire my spirit.
We should educate people that Pagans and Wiccans  are not evil but ancient and positive.
The entire universe is but one vast symbol of God
I've found a more personal, pagan kind of religion to satisfy the spiritual side of things.
Through the Goddess, we can discover our strength, enlighten our minds, own our bodies, and celebrate our emotions

Because of centuries of religious propaganda and misinformation, many conservative Christians, and others, associate Pagans/Wiccans with Satanists even though the two belief systems are as different as Christianity and Atheism.
This blog is to help End the Propaganda spread centuries ago and end the hate and the fear let us each live in peace.

We are not evil. We don't harm or seduce people
We are not dangerous. We are ordinary people like you.
We have families, jobs, hopes, and dreams. We are not a cult.
This religion is not a joke. We are not what you think we are from looking at T.V.
We are real. We laugh, we cry. We are serious. We have a sense of humor.
You don't have to be afraid of us. We don't want to convert you.
And please don't try to convert us.
Just give us the same right we give you--to live in peace.
We are much more similar to you than you think."

Margot Adler - Wiccan priestes

convert nbsp you--to live peace nbsp margot adler wiccan priestes

He is connected with male animals, particularly the stag in rut, and this has led him to be associated with fertility and produce. Depictions of Cernunnos are found in many parts of the British Isles and western Europe. He is often portrayed with a beard and wild, shaggy hair -- he is, after all, the lord of the forest.

With his mighty antlers, Cernunnos is a protector of the forest and master of the hunt. He is a god of vegetation and trees in his aspect as the Green Man, and a god of lust and fertility when connected with Pan, the Greek satyr. In some traditions, he is seen as a god of death and dying, and takes time to comfort the dead by singing to them on their way to the spirit world.

traditions god death dying comfort dead singing spirit world nbsp

Cernnunos, a nature and fertility god, has appeared in a multitude of forms and made himself known by many names to nearly every culture throughout time. He is perhaps best known to us now in his Celtic aspects of the untamed Horned God of the Animals and the leaf-covered Green Man, Guardian of the Green World, but He is much older. Cernnunos worked his magic when the first humans were becoming. Our prehistoric ancestors knew him as a shape-shifting, shamanic god of the Hunt. He is painted in caves and carved everywhere, on cliffs, stones, even in the Earth Herself. Humans sought to commune with Him and receive his power and that of his animal children by dressing themselves in skins and skulls, adorning themselves with feathers and bones, by dancing His dance. Yet He is older still. In the time of the dinosaurs, the great swamps and subtropical forests of cycads, seed ferns and conifers, and later in the time of the deciduous plants and flowers, when the pollinators came and the first tiny mammals were creeping up from beneath the ground, Cernnunos was the difference and diversity of life, the frenzy and ferment of evolution. But, He is much older still. He is oldest of the Ancient Ones, first born of the Goddess. At the time of First Earth, Cernnunos grew in the womb of the All Mother, Anu, waiting to be born, to come forth to initiate the everlasting, unbroken Circle of Life.

mother anu waiting born initiate everlasting unbroken circle life nbsp

In some traditions of Wicca, the cycle of seasons follows the relationship between the Horned God -- Cernunnos -- and the Goddess. During the fall, the Horned God dies, as the vegetation and land goes dormant, and in the spring, at Imbolc, he is resurrected to impregnate the fertile goddess of the land. However, this relationship is a relatively new Neopagan concept, and there is no scholarly evidence to indicate that ancient peoples might have celebrated this "marriage" of the Horned God and a mother goddess.

evidence ancient peoples celebrated marriage horned god mother goddess nbsp

Because of his horns (and the occasional depiction of a large, erect phallus) Cernunnos has often been misinterpreted by fundamentalists as a symbol of Satan. Certainly, at times, the Christian church has pointed to the Pagan following of Cernunnos as "devil worship." This is in part due to nineteenth century paintings of Satan which included large, ram-like horns much like those of Cernunnos.
nineteenth century paintings satan included large ram-like horns cernunnos nbsp

Today, many Pagan and Wiccan traditions honor Cernunnos as an aspect of the God, the embodiment of masculine energy and fertility and power.

The Song of Amergin
I am a stag of seven tines,
I am a wide flood on a plain,
I am a wind on the deep waters,
I am a shining tear of the sun,
I am a hawk on a cliff,
I am fair among flowers,
I am a god who sets the head afire with smoke.
I am a battle waging spear,
I am a salmon in the pool,
I am a hill of poetry,
I am a ruthless boar,
I am a threatening noise of the sea,
I am a wave of the sea,
Who but I knows the secrets of the unhewn dolmen ?

boarnbsp threatening noise seanbsp wave seanbsp secrets unhewn dolmen nbsp

Paleolithic cave paintings found in France that depict a stag standing upright or a man dressed in stag costume seem to indicate that Cernunnos' origins date to those times

stag standing upright dressed stag costume cernunnos origins date times

Paganism is unrelated to Satanism. It is a group of religious traditions: some are highly structured, while most are eclectic. Many, perhaps most, Pagans/Wiccans are solitary practitioners. They are, in many ways, directly opposite to Satanists:

religious traditions highly structured eclectic paganswiccans solitary practitioners ways satanists

Pagans/Wiccans worship a Goddess and her consort, a God.
They do not recognize Satan or any other all-evil supernatural entity.
Their prime symbol is the exact opposite to the symbol used by Satanists. It is the upright pentagram -- a 5-pointed star with two points downward and one up. Sometimes it is enclosed by a circle to form a pentacle.
Their groups are called covens, not grottos or temples.
Their rule of behavior is called the Pagan Rede: "An it harm none, do what thou wilt." i.e. do whatever you wish, as long as it harms no one, including yourself. Unlike Satanists, Pagans/ Wiccans are not allowed do dominate, manipulate, control, or harm others.
They believe that they worship neither the Christian God nor the Christian devil. They worship a Goddess and a God. Neither is at all similar to Satan. Wicca, and other forms of Neopaganism, are as different from Satanism as Hinduism is from Christianity

worship goddess god satan wicca forms neopaganism satanism hinduism christianity

When one defines oneself as Pagan, it means she or he follows an earth or nature religion, one that sees the divine manifest in all creation. The cycles of nature are our holy days, the earth is our temple, its plants and creatures our partners and teachers. We worship a deity that is both male and female, a mother Goddess and father God, who together created all that is, was, or will be. We respect life, cherish the free will of sentient beings, and accept the sacredness of all creation

created respect life cherish free sentient beings accept sacredness creation
-----------------------------

Devil Worshippers or Satanists are the dark side of Christanity
Christians invented satan
and they can have him

Satanism, as viewed by Satanists,

Satanism consists of many religious traditions, comprising two main faith groups and many smaller religious groups:

The Church of Satan is the largest organization of religious Satanists. They regard Satan as a pre-Christian concept, representing pleasure, virility, and strength; he is not viewed as a living entity. Their prime symbol is the Sigil of Baphomet. This is a goat's head, drawn within an inverted pentagram (6-pointed star with one point downward and two up). It is surrounded by a circle. Satanists conduct rituals by themselves, and/or meet together in grottos.
The Temple of Set worships Satan in the form of a pre-Christian deity -- the Egyptian god Set. Their prime symbol is a simple inverted pentagram in a circle. They meet in temples.
The behavioral code followed by almost all Satanists was written by Aleister Crowley: "Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law." It permits Satanists great freedom of action. Some engage in black magic rituals with the goal of harming those who have hurt them. Turning the other cheek is not their style

• Gloria 2011/03/25 18:25:54
    Gloria
    +5
    This is beautiful. Thank you.

• Arjuna Queen T... 2011/12/30 17:25:57
    Arjuna
    +1
    In the east we call them "sathara bhutha" - the four elemental forces. Although Sri Lanka is a Buddhist country, to this day we celebrate the natural festivals of solstice and harvest and the rituals associated with those to our gods.
  • doc 2011/11/01 20:46:55
    We should educate people that Pagans and Wiccans are not evil but ancient an...
    doc
    Though I'm sort of disappointed by the non seducing witches witch pin up
  • ☥☽✪☾DAW... doc 2011/11/02 12:04:48
    ☥☽✪☾DAW ☽✪☾
    +1
    oh theres plenty of seducing witches one of our main holidays is Beltane imagine a huge Orgy festival thats a holiday for us
    [...]
  • This is W³ ☥☽✪☾DAW... 2012/03/19 00:10:09
    This is W³
    Cool video. I especially dig the topless chick at 4:52
  • ☥☽✪☾DAW... doc 2011/11/14 01:11:34
    ☥☽✪☾DAW ☽✪☾
    wink t
    there is plenty of them
  • justagudguy~PWCM~JLA 2011/11/01 20:43:41 (edited)
  • ☥☽✪☾DAW... justagu... 2011/11/01 20:45:29
    ☥☽✪☾DAW ☽✪☾
    +1
    thank you Blessed be
  • Arjuna justagu... 2011/12/30 17:27:17
  • holyheretic 2011/10/18 05:41:32
    Good post.
  • Noel16161 2011/08/23 21:12:11
    I've found a more personal, pagan kind of religion to satisfy the spiritual s...
    Noel16161
    +1
    I was raised Christian. At 14 I had a question and decided to read the bible to find the answer. After reading the bible I was no longer a Christian. Now I am a proud Pagan and follow goddesses. When Christians say I am going to Hell, I wonder if they know about the Hel ruled by the goddess Hel.
  • middles... Noel16161 2012/01/30 04:38:58
    middlesex1957
    +1
    I read the Bible cover to cover the first time when I was 16. I had already found my way into what people call Neo-Paganism or Wicca through an older friend I somehow happened to meet. I did not find a God to follow in the Bible. I was really turned off by it. But I did love the stories and philosophy of Jesus and his relationship to "the Disciple He loved" in the Gospel of John. I loved the story of Jonathan and David in the old Testament. I loved the 2nd Letter of John. I'm a mystic and Christianity offered weak mysticism that required amputation of sexuality and I am not a renounciationist. For me, attaining the divine is connection to the Universe and all of life not escaping from it. My passion for science, biology, rocks/stones/geology and physics pushed me further down the path of what I guess I might call Wicca and now at 54 I guess I'm turning into a kind of Shaman. I'm intersexed - born between male and female with a body that is mostly male but not exactly either sex so that gives me a different perspective. I feel sorry for Christians who have centered their being on evil, hell, fear, loathing, hate and punitive legalism. No one was further from those things than Jesus and they have lost him entirely. It's sad, and they are dangerous to those of us who are not bloodthirsty.
  • Boo 2011/08/22 13:49:26 (edited)
    Boo
    The 4 elements of Earth, Air, Fire and Water...These 4 elements line up with or match up with the 4 letters in the Tetragrammaton - IHVH, or YHVH, the unpronouncible Hebrew name of God. They also match up with the 4 suits in the tarot deck - Wands, Cups, Swords, and Pentacles: Wands = Fire, Cups = Water, Swords = Air, Pentacles = Earth. This is the stuff of Hermeticism, named after Hermes Trismegistus hundreds of years ago, and was later adopted by Aleister Crowley in the occult society of The Hermetic Order of the Golden Dawn. I am saying all that to say this: Aleister Crowley was an Occultist, not a devil worshiper. There were people who accused him of being evil, and I guess of worshipping the devil too, but he was just a wild and crazy occultist who because of craziness, had a bad reputation, lol. And thank you for posting all of this about Wicca and Paganism, it is very informative and interesting. :):)
  • ☥☽✪☾DAW... Boo 2011/08/22 13:57:47
    ☥☽✪☾DAW ☽✪☾
    no problem Boo i have many blogs on paganism on my group called kindred spirits if u like u can join and see them all
  • middles... Boo 2012/01/30 04:44:11
    middlesex1957
    Boo - isn't it incredible how all those things fit together so easily and smoothly no matter what epoch or location or language or people on the whole globe? It's as if we all were born already knowing these things and just had to remind ourselves. I'm not sure if many people outside the craft even know who Aleister Crowley was/is but if the Kristyans get wind of him they'll dig him up to be afraid of and use to call us demons. Sigh. Won't be the first or last time.
  • David (oYo) 2011/08/21 08:20:14
  • ☥☽✪☾DAW... David (... 2011/08/21 13:47:57
    ☥☽✪☾DAW ☽✪☾
    yes he is male and the Welsh people honor him as well
    hes a Celtic God so thats Ireland, Scotland, England, Wales and other Uk islands and places
  • David (... ☥☽✪☾DAW... 2011/08/21 18:20:52
  • Welshtaff ☥☽✪☾DAW... 2011/11/01 23:23:37
    Welshtaff
    England was originally Celtic untill Romans the Germanic, Normans and Anglo's etc invaded then, it became England !

Scotti's came over from Ireland and settled in what is now Scotland.

Today (Historians say) that the people traced back to the original Celtic people are now found in Wales and Brittany.

The feeling about Wales Cymru, in the language, is one of understatement .The Land is full of hidden treasures and Its history relatively unheralded. Like the rest of Britain, Wales was originally settled 100 to 200 thousand years ago, long before Celtic people migrated. Once joined, together they survived attacks and invasions, learning to live within new systems, secretly preserving their combined heritage. The treasure trove of this preservation can be seen in the learning institutions of Wales. It can be read in the wealth of ancient literature and heard in the vocal styles used in Welsh choirs. Wales ranks among the most successful in retaining her language. The first entirely Welsh language television channel began broadcasting in 1982 and new Welsh-only (language) schools have opened up in predominantly English speaking areas of Wales.

Another point of interest is that Wales is not represented on the flag of the United Kingdom.
    Welsh Flag
  • middles... ☥☽✪☾DAW... 2012/01/30 04:45:58
    middlesex1957
    You are a walking encyclopedia, Daw. Thanks be that you write seeing as you can't just sit on our bookshelves like an oracle. :)
  • ☥☽✪☾DAW... middles... 2012/01/30 05:45:56
    ☥☽✪☾DAW ☽✪☾
    i do plan eventually to write all my knowledge down in books and maybe get it published i think pagans today would be fascinated to learn about the Ancient Pagans like the Babylonians which most Pagan books tend to forget about
  • D.C. Willis 2011/08/21 05:42:04
    D.C. Willis
    +1
    The reason for the separation between the Abrahamic religions and the pagan religious system is the first commandment. (Thous shalt have no other God before me)

The Pagan God's are to be the son's of God that left their place, (Genesis Chapter 6), and God was angry with them for this.(Also found in Enoch 1)

The God of the Bible did not want man to be intelligent. He knew that mankind would develop things that would destroy himself. IE: Nukes, Chemicals, and the Tea Party.

These son's of God were placed in a deep ravine and covered with a mountain of dirt. At which point God flooded the earth, killing the children born of earthly women but fathered by God's sons.

The spirits of Gods grandchildren became the demons that roam the earth, (approximately.46,000 of them.)

Now to say who is right and who is wrong, that is not up to me.

I do know this. If my children leave their place and damage the neighbors property or family, I take responsibility for the problem and rectify the situation. This would mean that I would expect the same thing from God.

If his children left their place and corrupted man, then it is his responsibility and he should not blame mankind.
  • ☥☽✪☾DAW... D.C. Wi... 2011/08/21 07:46:46
    ☥☽✪☾DAW ☽✪☾
    +1
    Therefor God Admits there are other Gods not just him
  • Wonder ... ☥☽✪☾DAW... 2011/11/13 04:36:35
  • ☥☽✪☾DAW... Wonder ... 2011/11/13 04:40:53
    ☥☽✪☾DAW ☽✪☾
    +1
    oh we arent Arguing blessed be
  • Wonder ... ☥☽✪☾DAW... 2011/11/13 05:08:42
  • ☥☽✪☾DAW... D.C. Wi... 2011/08/21 13:50:27
    ☥☽✪☾DAW ☽✪☾
    +2
    the God in the bible is not a God i would want to honor
    he kills and is very cruel
    But honestly its the people who wrote the bible who are at fault
    im sure God is up there going Hey I said dont kill not Dont kill except if someone claiming to hear me say kill in my name to my enemies im God Damn it i dont need u to kill in my name

the bible is written by man man put his own agenda propaganda and prejudices into the bible and other holy books
  • D.C. Wi... ☥☽✪☾DAW... 2011/08/21 20:08:16
    D.C. Willis
    Jeremiah 15:1 (1901 American Standard Version) "Then said Jehovah to me, Though Moses and Samuel stood before me, yet my mind would not be toward this people: cast them out of my sight, and let them go forth."

From Moses to the anointing of King David, by Samuel was roughly 460 years. God used two reference points, (Moses and Samuel) to demonstrate a period of time in which he was not with the children of Israel.

Jeremiah 23 is a good chapter to read as well. There are many things that are written in the biblical text that is not of God. Well maybe a God but not the good one!
  • ☥☽✪☾DAW... D.C. Wi... 2011/08/21 23:02:25 (edited)
    ☥☽✪☾DAW ☽✪☾
    +2
    but when all these events going on like Noah and the ark and Moses who was Writing this all down??? who had pen and paper to write this all down
    or Adam and Eve and the garden of Eden who was writing down what happened?
    or the fall of Lucifer from heaven writing wasn't invented yet and around

99% of stories found in the bible are from Paganism and Judaism and Judaism has ALOT of stories based on Paganism

Example the Great Flood story of Noah is actually the Sumerian empire Story
    The epic of Gilgamesh the Sumerians were the Very First Civilizaed Pagan Tribe

the Garden of Eden story thats Greek Paganism
    Adam and Eve or the story of The wedding of Harmony and Adan which took place in a place called a garden of Eden
  • D.C. Wi... ☥☽✪☾DAW... 2011/08/21 23:07:03
    D.C. Willis
    A lot of the Old Testament was influenced by the Ugarit.
    http://phoenicia.org/ugarbibl...
    http://www.theology.edu/ugarb...
  • ☥☽✪☾DAW... D.C. Wi... 2011/08/22 01:19:01 (edited)
    ☥☽✪☾DAW ☽✪☾
    +1
    which was based on Pagan religions
    Babylonian Eygptian Sumerian Ethiopian Persian all pagan Civilizations
  • ☥☽✪☾DAW... D.C. Wi... 2011/08/21 23:02:44 (edited)
    ☥☽✪☾DAW ☽✪☾
    +1
    Even the Afterlife has influences from Paganism
    Christian beliefs you Die you go to heaven and you stand before God Jesus and Saint Peter

Greek Paganism
    On death, the soul of a person was lead by Hermes to the entrance of the underworld, there to be met by the aged Charon who runs the only ferry allowed the cross the rivers. Only those who could pay the fare (after death, coins and other treasures were often buried with the deceased for this purpose) would receive passage, those who couldn’t pay would be trapped between two worlds. The journey would begin on the Acheron (the river of woe), down the Cocytus (the river of lamentation), into the Lethe (the river of forgetfulness), through the Phlegethon (the river of fire) and on to the Styx (the river of hate) to arrive at the gates of the palace.

The soul then enters through the gates to be met by Cerberus, who allows all souls to enter, but none to leave. The soul then appears before a panel of three judges, Rhadamanthus, Minos, and Aeacus, who review the souls past life. Those who had been good were blessed and allowed to proceed into the Elysian Fields, a happy final resting place. Those who had not were damned and abolished to Tartarus, the infernal abyss, there to forever reside in torment. The legends of Sisyphus and Tantalus are examples of this.
  • D.C. Wi... ☥☽✪☾DAW... 2011/08/21 23:09:44
    D.C. Willis
    +1
    We can find examples of influences between most religions but I believe that the nation that had the most influence of religions was the Egyptians.
  • ☥☽✪☾DAW... D.C. Wi... 2011/08/22 01:18:32
    ☥☽✪☾DAW ☽✪☾
    +2
    Which is a Pagan Religion Most pagans today honor at least one or 2 Egyptian Gods or Goddess
    I personally honor Isis and Horus/Osirus
    and Bastet and Anubis
  • D.C. Wi... ☥☽✪☾DAW... 2011/08/22 01:23:44
    D.C. Willis
    I have told everyone for years that this thing started with Egypt and it will end the same way. It has to come full circle.
  • ☥☽✪☾DAW... D.C. Wi... 2011/08/22 01:33:08
    ☥☽✪☾DAW ☽✪☾
    +1
    I have always had a fascination for Egyptian history and the Gods and Goddess even when i was Christian and studying them i realize why
    The Sumerians Egyptians Babylonians Persians had it right
    since they all shared the same Gods Goddess
    Christians dont realize it but the Story of Jesus really is nothing more than a modern remake of the story of Horus the Egyptian God even common sayings like Amen thats an Egyptian God

they dont realize it but they are worshipping an Egyptian God
  • D.C. Wi... ☥☽✪☾DAW... 2011/08/22 01:41:34
    D.C. Willis
    Isaiah 19:19 In that day shall there be an altar to the LORD in the midst of the land of Egypt, and a pillar at the border thereof to the LORD.

Moses grew up in the house of Pharaoh and was trained in the Egyptian religions. The Hebrews lived in Egypt 400 years. So there was a major influence on the people of the Bible.

I have read the papyrus of Ani, (Egyptian Book of the Dead) and familiarized myself with some of their God's. But I have concentrated more on the history of Egypt then its religions.
  • ☥☽✪☾DAW... D.C. Wi... 2011/08/22 01:55:13
    ☥☽✪☾DAW ☽✪☾
    +1
    doesnt the word Bible come from the word the word "Bible" comes from the Greek word "bublos," which describes papyrus (an ancient Egyptian writing material made of reeds also an Greek and Egyptian Goddess named Byblos
  • D.C. Wi... ☥☽✪☾DAW... 2011/08/22 02:09:43
    D.C. Willis
    "doesnt the word Bible come from the word the word "Bible" comes from the Greek word "bublos," which describes papyrus "

That is the rumor, but I am not sure of the etymology of "papyrus". That seems right but it has been a long day and my brain is tired. I have been working on an article about what I feel is the true holy city in Israel. I think it may be Megiddo, but I have to prove my theory.
  • ☥☽✪☾DAW... D.C. Wi... 2011/08/22 01:55:18
    ☥☽✪☾DAW ☽✪☾
    +1
    Sefkhet-Abwy (Sashet, Sesheta) is an Egyptian Goddess of writing, as well as temple libraries

Also called: Ba'alath, Belit, Baltis, Baaltis, and Ba'alat Gebal, "Lady of Byblos".
    The Romans knew Her by Byblos Goddess of knowledge
    The Greeks knew her by the name of Kypris
    She was so Well loved they Built an Entire City after her .
    She is the main Deity of the city of Gubla or Byblos, in Lebanon, a few miles north of Beirut.

she is Goddess of libraries, knowledge, and geomancy, among other things. Spell 10 of the Coffin text states “Seshat opens the door of heaven for you”.

Seshat/ Byblos , meaning 'female scribe', was seen as the goddess of writing, historical records, accounting and mathematics, measurement and architecture to the ancient Egyptians/Greeks

2014/10/30 16:49:16