Can Video Games Reduce Violence and Aggression?

Christine Lusey 2011/08/03 19:00:00
Finally, someone has something good to say about games!

Shops in Norway recently pulled some games following the Anders Breivik massacre, when it was revealed that he used the popular shooter Modern Warfare 2 for "training" and "simulation." And one dad in Ohio is claiming that video game addiction caused his son to go on a rampage.

But id Software’s John Carmack (Wolfenstein 3D, Doom, Quake) says games, especially violent games, are getting a bad rap. He tells Industry Gamers that violent games are actually cathartic and help reduce aggression.

"And I really think, if anything, there is more evidence to show that the violent games reduce aggression and violence. There have actually been some studies about that, that it’s cathartic. If you go to QuakeCon and you walk by and you see the people there [and compare that to] a random cross section of a college campus, you’re probably going to find a more peaceful crowd of people at the gaming convention. I think it’s at worst neutral and potentially positive."

One study he’s referencing, conducted by Texas A and M associate professor Dr. Christopher J. Ferguson, suggests that “violent games reduce depression and hostile feelings in players through mood management.”

Of course, it’s worth pointing out that Carmack has a highly anticipated first-person shooter game, Rage, coming out later this year.

Read More: http://www.industrygamers.com/news/doom-creator-ga...

• TheBorg 2011/08/03 23:42:47
    TheBorg
    +5
    All the scientific research (this is just one) shows there are three major effects of children watching violence, “children may become less sensitive to the pain and suffering of others, children may be more fearful of the world around them, and children may be more likely to behave in aggressive or hurtful ways toward others children” (Tompkins, 2003)

If you think violence and watching violence reduces violence and aggression in children, I would suggestion taking a science class that actually teaching you about science and research instead of sitting on your ass playing video games.

Works Cited
    Tompkins, A. (2003, December 14). The Psychological Effects of Violent Media on Children . Retrieved from AllPsych Journal: http://allpsych.com/journal/v...

• The Runnel Rat 2011/08/21 03:59:15
    The Runnel Rat
    +1
    Less violent people play videogames. When my dad says ''Do your homework!'', we all know he means so I can play my games. He probably dosen't agree with that, though!
  • BHGOzzy 2011/08/04 20:25:46
    BHGOzzy
    It's an outlet, and when taken as a proper pressure release valve, it can be pretty handy for it. There's plenty of well adjusted gamers out there that play violent First Person Shooters and haven't even thought of shooting up their local mall, school, what-have-you.
  • BHGOzzy BHGOzzy 2011/08/04 20:29:09
    BHGOzzy
    As an addendum, it helps to have parents involved with their children, if you're just using the X-Box as a substitute parent so that you don't have to be bothered to raise your children, then yes, you're going to get a violent little psychotic with no handle on reality. If you monitor their usage of the game, or hell... even PLAY with them once in awhile, then they might associate it with more productive pass times, like letting out anger and aggression in a controlled environment, and it's a good way to find out what's bothering your kid by sharing a pass time you can both enjoy.
  • regisj6 2011/08/04 17:21:47
    regisj6
    depend on the parents and what kind of video games the child is playing or is he mature enough to play this games.
  • The Impossible Girl ✿ 2011/08/04 16:28:12
    The Impossible Girl ✿
    It can reduce violence and aggression if the person is using the game as an outlet for their anger, that they are putting their anger into the game. But games also make people more violent. I experience that with my brother.. When he gets angry he'll say I'm gonna shoot you with a gun and he'll name a gun that's in one of his video games. In a way it does do both.
  • chamchamgal 2011/08/04 14:17:24
  • Angelic Scars 2011/08/04 14:13:03
    Angelic Scars
    Well...it depends on person.If you let some kid play such games too much,it can make them more agressive and stuff like that,of course.But if someone plays it just sometimes when he/she is angry,it can´t make any harm.Everyone,try playing some violent game when you get really pissed off,try it at least once and then tell me it didn´t help.
  • hmgmcrmy 2011/08/04 12:11:34
    hmgmcrmy
    +2
    I think it depends on the kid, and the environment they're in. Like CAM and family said, there's the research to show that it doesn't, but it could work for other kids. Hmmm.
  • Lolly Cullen 2011/08/04 09:32:49
    Lolly Cullen
    oh wow if people are saying that kids meaning young kids should not be playing violent video games i am all for that fallow the rateings and how mature the child is but if you are in you're own ratings group weather it is violent or not it can reduse stress level and make you happier by getting you're mind off of it and onto something else and when you win at a level especialy one you were having trouble at and just then beat it can make you very happy and less stressed from a hard day of work or school so yes i agree that if you are in the right age group and are muture enough to play violent video games with a sense of time to play and when not to play they can be fun and de-stress you and get you're mind off of the bad day you had and utterly make you happier when done playing! justt stick within the ratings and muturity level people!
  • death_girl57 2011/08/04 09:07:26
    death_girl57
    i get angry,but unsure if it would lead to anything.
  • DANNY_B0i♛ 2011/08/04 06:23:14
    DANNY_B0i♛
    They sure as hell get my anger out. haha
  • Angela Chambers 2011/08/04 05:47:13
    Angela Chambers
    +1
    Worked for me, when I had a bad day at school. Playing video games always helped.

worked school playing video games helped

• Nozzle 2011/08/04 05:47:09
    Nozzle
    they definitely can, the most obvious example is the GTA games and driving, which I'm sure has been mentioned here already. However, I think that different people react to video games differently. They should probably have warning labels.
  • JB Lover 2011/08/04 05:20:17
    JB Lover
    +1
    wth? seriously wth? how stupid r u 2 think that video games r "violent"? im a girl. 13. i play violent games all the time. im still nice 2 people. i dont lose it when some1 kicks me off of it. i am not an addict. i could give it up anytime but i choose not 2. why u ask? because its something that gets my mind of things. and i wanna b a police woman so it really helps me c how many weapons r there and their names. ;)
  • paintball_addict18 2011/08/04 05:06:25
  • verybossy101 2011/08/04 05:00:21
    verybossy101
    wtf? thats one of the stupidest things i've ever heard....
  • JB Lover verybos... 2011/08/04 05:20:48
    JB Lover
    +1
    i no right!
  • verybos... JB Lover 2011/08/08 00:00:18
    verybossy101
    hahaha =D so crazy...
  • Nuke 2011/08/04 04:08:01
    Nuke
    +1
    Dang you SD! I meant to hit YES! when will you let us be able to change our answer if we accidentally hit the wrong button?! DO IT already...
  • JB Lover Nuke 2011/08/04 05:21:40
    JB Lover
    cause theirs levels on this website. and if you keep voting 4 a wrong answer then decide 2 change it 2 the right answer it would b no fun 2 c what other people think
  • Nuke JB Lover 2011/08/04 05:29:15
    Nuke
    Yeah but when you go to hit a button and accidentally hit the wrong one then it becomes inaccurate information which is not what SH is after...
  • vinone 2011/08/04 04:00:25
    vinone
    Who cares anymore? It all depends on the person, why can't people freaking figure that out? Just like addictions, some people are prone to addictions, others are not. Some people are prone to violent video games affecting them, others are not. It's common sense!!!!!!!
  • MOMMA THOMAS 2011/08/04 02:36:47
    MOMMA THOMAS
    PERHAPS FOR SOME...
  • Time Traveler 2011/08/04 02:13:05
    Time Traveler
    When I have road rage, I play Grand Theft Auto IV.
  • Kigan 2011/08/04 01:03:43
    Kigan
    +1
    Depending on the game and person.

Worked for me through pre-teen and teen years. Works now, too. I know some people don't want to believe it, but I believe personal experience over those people any day.

Especially my road rage. I'd play games like "Burnout Revenge" where the entire purpose is utilizing that road rage.
  • paintba... Kigan 2011/08/04 05:07:21
    paintball_addict18
    That was a great game.
  • Rave 2011/08/04 00:32:20
    Rave
    +1
    Because it worked for me as a kid and still does. Whenever I was feeling aggressive, rather then taking it out on my parents or friends I'd just go to my room and play my video games, within an hour I'd feel okay and my rage would be gone as I'd be too focused on the game. Video games have done nothing but help me, they helped me escape when I was alone with no friends due to my mom's drug addiction, they helped me when I was depressed and tired of the people around me, they help me when I am feeling irritated and aggressive, they help me stimulate my mind when I'm bored and give me something active to do. I am really sick of people trying to ban video games. They're just games.
  • SteveMarine- JLA 2011/08/04 00:30:49
    SteveMarine- JLA
    Well for me they do... After a stressful day at work...some times its nice to unwind blowing up a few terrorists on a video game... or some zombies... All in all it normally helps.
  • Noobcake 2011/08/04 00:09:43
    Noobcake
    +1
    I strongly believe that they *do not* cause violence but I don't know whether they have the ability to actually *reduce* aggression.

I don't usually feel aggressive so whether my playing violent games abates my hypothetical aggression I cannot know!
  • Angel 2011/08/03 23:52:50
    Angel
    It does for me. After a long, annoying day at school or whatever nothing makes me feel better than opening a can of virtual whoop ass.
  • TheBorg 2011/08/03 23:42:47
    TheBorg
    +5

Works Cited
  • Kigan TheBorg 2011/08/04 01:04:23
    Kigan
    I just reference my personal experiences for my opinion. What better way to learn than by doing and through experience knowing?
  • Bibliop... Kigan 2011/08/04 03:35:19
    Bibliophilic
    Your personal experiences have more validity than scientific research?
  • Kigan Bibliop... 2011/08/04 08:25:50
    Kigan
    Don't recall saying that. I said that was how I formulated my opinion.

I take those studies with a grain of salt, especially when someone gives a statement that uses "may" a whole lot more than "will" and then attacks the intelligence of those who disagree with them.

My statement was directed more at your personal statement and less at your cited information. A point of experience versus your "suggestion" for people who disagree with you.
  • Ishmael 2011/08/03 23:39:40
    Ishmael
    It ALWAYS works for ME:

• Brosia 2011/08/03 23:29:28
    Brosia
    +1
    They help me avoid murdering people. When I have a bad day, I come home and blow the faces off of computer people and I feel better.
  • English Truther 2011/08/03 22:59:55
    English Truther
    +2
    Video Games are a way to keep the youth of the World entertained and controlled. The youth of America, and the same could be said of the UK, should ditch the Childs Games and join the Armed Services. What good is a teenager sat in front of a computer screen all day playing games?? Get a life and do something with it instead of becoming a Robot of the NWO!!

The youth of America are being poisoned by fatty foods and drinks which is destroying their health. Get and join the local Boxing, Soccer or Basketball Clubs!! Don't waste the one life you have playing with stupid toys!!

There is more to this World than sitting on your butt in America. There is a big World out there for you all to explore and enjoy!!
  • TheBorg English... 2011/08/08 08:54:03
    TheBorg
    LOL - you obviously don't live in America. Americans don't believe there is a world out there outside of America. Americans want and expect everything handed to them, especially what to think. That is why the American government is owned by multinational corporations and nobody notices, nobody cares. They are told what to think by talk radio and FOX News so they don't have to think.

• ren English... 2011/09/17 22:18:39
    ren
    It's called having fun. Not everyone definition of fun is the same as yours. Fun is determined by chemicals in your brain the same as when your bored. There are more ways to have fun besides playing sports or going outside.
  • English... ren 2011/09/21 21:27:08
    English Truther
    Fun playing games??? I left the games in Playschool or as you guys say Kindergarten. Vegging in front of a TV screen isnt doing anybody any good let alone your health.

Each to their own but people cry when they wonder why they have diabetes or heart disease!! The American Youth are getting fatter and fatter and it is down to the Entertainment Generation.

Fun is building dens with your friends or going to the lake and swimming and haveing a beer. Geeks play computer games...:)

2014/09/01 15:35:30