Can 'The Elder Scrolls Online' Live Up to the Franchise?

Gaming 2012/06/07 13:00:00
It's only been about half a year since "The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim" came out, and that piece of work is still sitting at the top of the stacks. But art director Paul Sage hit E3 this week with some heavy-hitting info on an upcoming addition to the Elder Scrolls universe: "The Elder Scrolls Online," a massively multiplayer online game set 1,000 years before "Skyrim." And it could touch down as soon as next year.

Sage told Gamasutra, "One of the things we're trying to do [with our MMORPG] is get that feeling of active and reactive combat. So my take is that you have to feel like, 'This is really kind of like The Elder Scrolls [single player RPG] combat ... I will say that playing with your friends and meeting strangers, and being able to just do it in a way where you're informed, it's a big thing for us." There's a lot more information in the interview below. Can "The Elder Scrolls Online" really live up to the legendary games it's based on?

• Tylurr 2013/01/03 01:10:18
    Tylurr
    There are two ways this will go.

1. This will follow in the footsteps of its predecessors and become one of the greatest MMOs in HISTORY. It'd play somewhat like Planetside 2 (Except the constant war would only be in specific areas), I can see different regions harboring different people, I can see clans and clan wars, heroes vs. villains. All while maintaining the sheer beauty and gameplay of The Elder Scrolls series.

Just look at the beauty

Or.

2. This will become another WoW clone and take a giant, indignant, furious dump all over the rest of the franchise.

The visual equivalent of turning the Elder Scrolls series into a WoW clone

I will lose it if that second one happens.
  • Allen 2012/09/16 12:54:05
    Allen
    There are some hardcore Skyrim fans out there. I'm sure this online game would interest them.
  • Eric Haddix 2012/09/08 08:33:08
    Eric Haddix
    Over the years, I have come to mentally picture the ideal version of the Elder Scrolls Online as a game which has the gameplay and environmental presentation of TES3: Morrowind with some additional upgrades from TES5: Skyrim, the graphical quality of TES5: Skyrim (or at least that of TES3: Morrowind), and a first person point of view centered (but not exclusive) open world which would encompass all of Nirn regularly.

But here is the rub—I never pictured it as a straightforward MMO, but rather as the single player RP experience which is already present in the entire Elder Scrolls series with the option to participate and complete content in various cooperative modes.

My point? I can get the experience which I want from the Elder Scrolls series as they are now. It is what makes the Elder Scrolls series great. So, please, just keep the Elder Scrolls series “within the family” and use that fundamental formula on TES:O.

Converting the Elder Scrolls Online into a clone of preexisting MMO(s) betrays what makes the Elder Scrolls series great—it takes the experience which I want and can get from the Elder Scrolls series as they are now and replaces it with a different, trite, and personally unwanted experience which I can get from preexisting MMO(s) already. It takes something which...

Converting the Elder Scrolls Online into a clone of preexisting MMO(s) betrays what makes the Elder Scrolls series great—it takes the experience which I want and can get from the Elder Scrolls series as they are now and replaces it with a different, trite, and personally unwanted experience which I can get from preexisting MMO(s) already. It takes something which I hoped for and still hope for and shelves it indefinitely.

In short, I feel that TES:O, as it is shaping up right now, is just a bad idea.

Why fix what is not broken?

Why stray from a successful formula?

This situation makes no sense to me—what a waste of a great opportunity!
  • Previn Hudetz 2012/08/05 05:34:25 (edited)
    Previn Hudetz
    The concern I'd have is this: what about mods? User-made mods just don't mix with online gaming, and the Elder Scrolls have definitely benefited from having mountains of immersive user-generated content. But who can really say how good the game will be until it's on the market? I suppose it was inevitable that they'd move it to mmo; it's just so lucrative if it's done right. I'll miss the single-player mode, though. Le sigh...
  • MarissaWoolsey 2012/07/11 20:36:28
    MarissaWoolsey
    This sounds absolutely amazing, kind-of too good to be true. But I am so very excited for this game!
  • Kryo 2012/06/29 22:27:57
    Kryo
    Don't get me wrong its a great game. But with out all the mods its just too small. I mean it takes forever to be attacked by a randomized thief or imperial and what not.
  • mblythe95 2012/06/29 19:39:30
    mblythe95
    sounds awesome
  • buneter 2012/06/28 09:50:22
    buneter
    ive always wanted elder scrolls or falout ot have multiplayer but since its all multiplayer with no story line they'll have to work on how over powered you can get because in skyrim i can punch a dragon to death
  • Dyhn 2012/06/26 12:58:43
    Dyhn
    Seeing the video. :Not bad:

Reading about it: No thank you.

We'll see where they are at in a year, but at the moment I almost couldnt care less.
  • Swordfish 2012/06/25 01:23:41
    Swordfish
    The majority is "yes" because they haven't read up on the game itself. It's turn-based, which pretty much defeats the point of it being Elder Scrolls at all.
  • Brad 2012/06/21 10:43:48
  • Rob Williams 2012/06/17 00:50:25
    Rob Williams
    ...at least I hope not!

Damn! It was hard enough to give it up as a disc on the Xbox! A fully immersive version? They may as well come and repossess the house now!
  • Reaper 2012/06/15 09:40:09
    Reaper
    if they put as much awesome as the past two games in it it defeat every other mmo in the world, including WoW.
  • Mr.Snazz 2012/06/15 02:00:52 (edited)
    Mr.Snazz
    YES!! I've been waiting for this game since I was 7!!!

And now that I'm almost out of college I'll probably never touch it DDDDDDDD:

edit: co-op is all I really want though..
  • Jenethia 2012/06/14 14:57:57
    Jenethia
    no no no no no. please no. I loved Morrowind, Oblivion, and Skyrim. But having it MULTIPLAYER would just ruin it all.
  • McGill 2012/06/13 22:23:32
    McGill
    im really unsure i am a massive fan of skyrim and oblivian but im not a fan of computer games but i might give it a try anyway.
  • Freedom!!!!!!!!!!!!! 2012/06/13 09:43:07
    Freedom!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    They always do!
  • Snowman :3 2012/06/13 05:42:37
    Snowman :3
    +1
    Its Bethesda. They live up to everything they create.
  • Brad Snowman :3 2012/06/21 10:44:39
    Brad
    +1
    They do good work, but they never live up to the hype.
    Because I love backwards flying dragons and dead people showing up to my weddings.
    And don't even get me started on the PS3 fiasco.
  • Trish 2012/06/12 23:30:50
    Trish
    And it better when I get it!
  • wutwut 2012/06/10 20:05:07
    wutwut
    i believe they'll be putting their best efforts into it. it's going to be a huge game!
  • 'Zedd 2012/06/09 14:17:28
  • CrimsonSeraph 2012/06/09 12:55:29
    CrimsonSeraph
    I think it does have promise but as an Elder Scroll game it does have a bit to live up to. So I'm putting on my optimist face here.
  • beach bum 2012/06/09 11:28:53
    beach bum
    yes
  • Nadrasta 2012/06/09 05:46:05
    Nadrasta
    I don't know, I hope so.
  • NoHandlebarsAttached 2012/06/08 23:57:08
    NoHandlebarsAttached
    +1
    It's a possibility. I believe in Bethesda.
  • You Know IT 2012/06/08 05:28:45
    You Know IT
    +1
    sure it'll be hard, sure it's Bathesda but honestly i would like for them to pull through, chatting with my friends while playing skyrim was fun and all but the one thing that woulda made it more fun is if they coulda been playing with me.... though would they make it available for xbox? lol
  • ShamshirMkII 2012/06/08 02:10:15
    ShamshirMkII
    +1
    ...though to be frank, I couldn't care less. The offline games already got me severely hooked. And the best part? No annoying retards to contend with :D
  • Jackal 2012/06/08 01:25:21
    Jackal
    I don't know. I like the first person shoot aspect of the game and I was hoping that they never change that.
  • Rocko 2012/06/08 01:17:29
    Rocko
    +2
    i think so they havent let me down yet :)
  • BHGOzzy 2012/06/08 01:10:55 (edited)
    BHGOzzy
    +1
    Hopefully
  • Jimbo 2012/06/08 01:07:08
    Jimbo
    +1
    I'm not going to play it.
  • AngelaDuke 2012/06/07 21:12:56
    AngelaDuke
    +1
    Wtf is this?
  • Linkums 2012/06/07 21:01:32
    Linkums
    +1
    Even the main games are glitch filled and require the fans to fix them with mods. MMOs tend to suck by design, though the promise of "active and reactive combat" sounds, well, promising.
  • Ben 2012/06/07 20:58:55
    Ben
    +1
    In actuality (and no I am no joking) the world needs a new MMORPG. WOW has been around way too long and we need something fresh for people to get in to. I personally liked City of Heroes/Villains. But, there has not been a good enough MMO to pull people away from these ancient games. Off topic, I hear people still play counterstrike. Yeah. I know.
  • Odinsown Ben 2012/06/07 21:21:34
    Odinsown
    +1
    Star wars the old republic.
  • Aspect ... Ben 2012/06/09 01:02:31
    Aspect of B
    DC Universe Online.
    awesome face small
  • Nezkeys79 2012/06/07 20:09:29
    Nezkeys79
    +1
    With morrowind's gameplay and skyrim's graphics hell yeah!
  • Aspect of B 2012/06/07 19:31:09
    Aspect of B
    +1
    No MMO is ever as good as the game upon which it is based. That's the truth, honey.

2014/09/22 10:50:32