Can Syracuse Win Without Fab Melo?

Sports 2012/03/14 16:00:00
Syracuse's college basketball team entered the NCAA Tournament as one of the favorites to win it all. Past tense: entered. On Monday, news broke that Syracuse will have to pursue a national championship without its impressive star center. Seven-foot Brazilian Fab Melo, for reasons undisclosed as of press time, has been ruled ineligible for the NCAA Tournament.

According to ESPN.com via NCAA V.P. of Communications Bob Williams, Melo wasn't declared ineligible by the NCAA, but rather by his own university. It should be noted Melo did miss three games last season due to academic issues. Melo averaged 7.8 points and 5.8 rebounds for Syracuse. He also had a total of 88 blocks and was named the Big East Defensive Player of The Year.

Syracuse is the East Region's number one-seeded team and will play against Big South Champion UNC Asheville on Thursday at 3:10pm/ET. While many college basketball analysts believe Syracuse can get past UNC Asheville, Melo's absence does make them question how long the orange will last in the NCAA Tournament. Does Fab Melo's absence cripple Syracuse's chances at a national championship or should the team still be considered a favorite?

• luvguins 2012/03/17 19:01:59
    luvguins
    They just waxed K-State. The Scoop can carry them far.
  • Jackie 2012/03/15 19:19:57
    Jackie
    if they try their best. they were good with mellow they wont be that bad without him
  • jacktown kid 2012/03/15 15:13:00
    jacktown kid
    Either way no title for the Cuse
  • Harry 2012/03/15 12:51:09
    Harry
    I picked them for the Elite Eight. I wish I had known about the Melo situation beforehand.
  • topgundy7 2012/03/15 04:49:04
    topgundy7
    Syracuse will miss the 7 footer!
  • EmoMcParland 2012/03/15 03:58:38
    EmoMcParland
    One & Done
  • wes 2012/03/14 20:37:43
  • I NEED A HORSE 2012/03/14 19:17:23
  • #Justice4Trayvon 629 BLOCKT... 2012/03/14 18:11:08
    #Justice4Trayvon 629 BLOCKT CONS
    Being a Syracuse resident & an SU admirer/follower I know how much this team has faced this year. The Bernie Fine scandal broke shortly after the Pitt Panthers Sandusky/Paterno scandal broke. This team lost only ONE game the entire season. They have stood the greatest test of adversity 2nd only to what Pittsburgh experienced.

Fab Melo has been a good player. SU has a strong team & as long as they maintain their focus (like they have all year long) I believe they can bring home another NCAA trophy. It is an insult to ask if Fab Melo's absence will cripple Syracuse's chances at winning the NCAA tournament. I'm sure Vice President Joe Biden would say the same thing since he's an alumni of Syracuse University.
  • smitty #Justic... 2012/03/15 20:34:39
    smitty
    I know it is only half time... but UNC is smelling the upset.
  • #Justic... smitty 2012/03/15 21:14:12
    #Justice4Trayvon 629 BLOCKT CONS
    +1
    Smitty, Imma a Red Sox fan. Nuttin can kill my optimism!
  • smitty #Justic... 2012/03/15 21:16:41
    smitty
    +1
    Ha! My sister and her husband are huge Red Sox fans... Tough to he is a born and bred Boston guy and she is a hmmmmm New Yorker.
  • #Justic... smitty 2012/03/15 21:43:40
    #Justice4Trayvon 629 BLOCKT CONS
    +2
    SU took it 72-65 GO ORANGE!!!
  • smitty #Justic... 2012/03/15 21:46:41
    smitty
    +1
    Ha! yeah they pulled it out. Was closer than the score though.

Might I say they need to fire those refs. That was a pathetic excuse for referrering. I have always thought they even out in the end... but man the goal tending and the out of bounds... that was hard to see.

Still I think the better team won. UNC lost their legs there with a lot time left to play.
  • #Justic... smitty 2012/03/15 22:21:59
    #Justice4Trayvon 629 BLOCKT CONS
    +2
    I don't have cable so I couldn't see anything. Got the score updates from the NCAA website. Folk were doing all kinds of complaining on Huffington Post. Looks like SU's next game is Saturday. I've enjoyed the back & forth though Smitty, thanx.
  • smitty #Justic... 2012/03/15 22:23:37
  • #Justic... smitty 2012/03/17 18:32:34
    #Justice4Trayvon 629 BLOCKT CONS
    They did it again today my sports "friend." SU is advancing to the Sweet 16. To borrow a phrase from Mickie D's, "I'm loving it!" I was able to watch today's game on Channel 5.
  • smitty #Justic... 2012/03/17 18:37:43
    smitty
    +1
    My bracket is all borked now. Duke Gone.. Mizz Gone.. Syracuse still going. Unfortunately I am still at work and just logged into CBS Sports to see what I could watch online. Then I had a client call and walked outside while talking. Dangit by the time I got back in the game was over.

One thing I will do. When I am wrong I am wrong. This old gym shoe ain't tasting so good.

Glad to see ya got to watch it. Again Cheers!
  • #Justic... smitty 2012/03/17 18:47:08
    #Justice4Trayvon 629 BLOCKT CONS
    +1
    Sorry to hear you couldn't catch the game. It definitely was a good one. At one point Syracuse had the largest point spread of the entire year. Kansas State eeked out a few more points but there was no way for them to overcome the point deficit.

I hope you'll have some corned beef & cabbage waiting when you get home. You're definitely a gracious loser & I always believe in giving folks their props.

Thank you Smitty, hope the rest of your weekend goes better than today. You're a classy man.
  • smitty #Justic... 2012/03/19 20:05:34
    smitty
    +1
    Oh I am one of those KY fans. My bracket is toast, but my team is still in. Who knows maybe we will have a Cuse WIldcat matchup. We just have to get by those nagging hoosiers.
  • #Justic... smitty 2012/03/19 22:59:19
    #Justice4Trayvon 629 BLOCKT CONS
    +1
    I'll be able to watch the next game also. I'm pretty sure SU will be playing Wisconsin.
  • smitty #Justic... 2012/03/20 14:14:06
    smitty
    +1
    Good luck to the 'Cuse.
  • #Justic... smitty 2012/03/20 16:05:36
    #Justice4Trayvon 629 BLOCKT CONS
    +1
    I hope KY does well also.
  • #Justic... smitty 2012/03/23 01:31:25
    #Justice4Trayvon 629 BLOCKT CONS
    +1
    They pulled it off again tonight, by the skin of their teeth. My God I did a whole lot of praying. I kept saying "Syracuse, don't let them score" when it got down to around a minute on the clock. Lawdie, it was a good game BUT nerve-wrecking LOL!
  • smitty #Justic... 2012/03/23 12:26:20
    smitty
    +1
    Ha! I got home from about 8 so I missed the first half. I have to say, What a game! I was actually thinking about you at the end of the game! Ha! stupid I know.

A nail biter for sure. Last second three that hsould have been caught and laid in.

I will say this and I fully believe it. Good team win ball games. Great teams win ball games that otherwise they can lose. Syracuse is the latter.. I was wrong about them.

Grats to your Orangemen, mate. Well won!
  • #Justic... smitty 2012/03/23 15:04:19
    #Justice4Trayvon 629 BLOCKT CONS
    +1
    I was thinking of you too last night. One of my online friends on FB was rooting for Ohio State. We were talking smack back & forth to one another until about 2a.m. I told him I'd still be his friend after SU beats them over the weekend LOL!

Thank you Smitty for that compliment. Is KY still in the running? SU has been defying the odds all year long. They maintained their focus after each new revelation came out with the Bernie Fine scandal. That scandal has been like layers being removed from an onion. It just kept getting worse. I'm proud of our Orangemen.

How about we make a promise never to discuss politics cuz we're dang near polar opposites on that spectrum? Are you a Major League baseball fan?

TGIF!

TGIF
  • smitty #Justic... 2012/03/23 15:32:05
    smitty
    +1
    Ha! cute pic. Agreed we won't.

My sister in law is a huge buckeyes fan as am I. I am just a bigger KY fan. I am also a Bearcat fan who the Buckeyes just beat last night. Tough being from the Cincinnati area. There are 7 teams I hope all win. hahaha. Just I bleed KY Blue.

I just spoke to a client from out west. I said sorry my cats beat your team. They asked me how long I thought Calipari would still be coach or how long until recruiting violations caught up to him. Hehe. I said who knows, but every major college team probably has the same problem with violations it is just a matter of when the NCAA gets around to their team.

OF course Catholic high school football is big here. They are catholic too. I had to say that the GCHSL needs to look into the recruiting violations of these high schools around here. The public schools can't compete in football with all the recruiting done at the high school level. He laughed and said Catholic School can recruit public can't.

I guess my point was Kentucky is doing fine but have Indiana tonight who was one of the 2 teams that beat them this year by 1 point on buzzer beater. KY always has these recruiting violations and coaches like Bob Knight that hate us. Where I live you are (take your pick) Buckeyes, Muskies, Bearcat, Hoos...

Ha! cute pic. Agreed we won't.

I guess my point was Kentucky is doing fine but have Indiana tonight who was one of the 2 teams that beat them this year by 1 point on buzzer beater. KY always has these recruiting violations and coaches like Bob Knight that hate us. Where I live you are (take your pick) Buckeyes, Muskies, Bearcat, Hoosier, Flyers, Cardinals or Wildcat fan. Now another local college has just joined Division 1 after being on tops in division 2 for years. So we may add the Norsemen to list in future years.

Anyway I am rambling.... Best of luck to you vs the Buckeyes... I will be rooting for the scarlet and grey though.

I am a big Reds fan... It isn't my favorite sport. I do love to listen to it throughout the day when I am outside if a game is one. It is just too much work to keep track of a 100+ game season. Although opening day is coming up and I do have tickets. I just have to find a client to meet with that day. ha!
  • #Justic... smitty 2012/03/23 21:16:29
    #Justice4Trayvon 629 BLOCKT CONS
    +1
    I don't mind you rambling Smitty. If memory serves me correctly my friend Betz is a Reds fan. If Manny Ramirez was with the Reds before he went to the Red Sox then that is her favorite team. Needless to say, I'm a Red Sox fan.

I loved Manny & my favorite player is Big Papi (David Ortiz). It's time we won another World Series.
  • smitty #Justic... 2012/03/23 21:29:15
    smitty
    Nah I don't think he was.. I could be before my time but I go back to the Big Red Machine in the 70's.

Ortiz is the running back in a baseball players uniform? If that is he he is fun to watch.

Now forgive me for asking because I lived a bit in NY (Long Island not out in the island but more to Queens) and have some NY family members.. They are die hard Mets fans. So you are a sox fan? I have family that lives in Boston too... They are die hard Sox fans.... It is funny listening to them talk.... though they same the thing about me..

Glad you don't mind me rambling. I have to take a break from numbers and letters seem to do the trick.
  • #Justic... smitty 2012/03/23 21:45:52
    #Justice4Trayvon 629 BLOCKT CONS
    I was born & raised in upstate NY but my mom despised the Yankees. I started falling under the "Red Sox mystique" when I lived in Boston in 1976. By '78 I was a diehard Red Sox fan.

I don't mind you rambling at all. I like to find things I have in common with people, especially when we're political "opposites" more or less. You & I have found it in sports. I think all too often we get entrenched in our political corners, demonizing one another & we can never see redeeming qualities in folk on the other side. I don't think its good for us as Americans or for the country as a whole. If Ronald Reagan & Tip O'Neill could get along at the end of the day I will continue to hold out hope that it can be achieved in the 21st century.

Those must be some interesting discussions with your NY & Boston kinfolk. Do you think Pete Rose has been punished long enough?
  • smitty #Justic... 2012/03/23 22:16:52
    smitty
    +1
    '76 the year the Big Red Machine died...Well Rose is a local celebrity around here. I am not a huge fan of him personally. You can;t deny what he did in/for/was to baseball. The guy was baseball player purely and simply. He played hard. Whether he bet on the reds or not I don;t think he was in like Shoeless way back when. The main thing that has soured me on him is the silly commercials that are horrid he does. Seeing a commercial of him in a bathroom urinal just takes the cake.. pun intended.

Ha yes it does... Unfortunately we don;t see each other much... It is fun to get together and jab them into their prospective New York and Boston roots. It is fun.. On another side my brother is a huge KY fan and sister law is a huge Buckeyes fan... The UK OSU game last we met at a bar to watch.... Man is was great teasing her.. She is a UK fan as well.

My sister is a Michigan fan... I can't stand Michigan... So imagine the Michigan/OSU games.. Man I love sports.. The only thing holding my family together is the Reds!

Funny little story before I head out for a night of BBall...I have small children.. all girls.. I never took them to a night game before so last year they met me at work and we walked down to the stadium after dinner in the city. My kids were transfixed an...

Funny little story before I head out for a night of BBall...I have small children.. all girls.. I never took them to a night game before so last year they met me at work and we walked down to the stadium after dinner in the city. My kids were transfixed and loved watching the game... Many many questions were asked... They loved the popcorn peanuts.. The dudes yelling "COLD BEER HERE" because I would yell to them cold beer here! they thought it was funny. Of course it got to be late but the stadium was bright with the lights. About the 7th inning, they started getting tired... I said we can leave if you want but they insisted on staying..."this is the good part" until it got dark outside. I tried to explain it was dark. They thought I was being daddy and teasing them.. Finally they said the tired and couldn't wait. Imagine the look on their faces when we got outside the stadium and it was dark... The stadium is an open stadium too.

I forgot about you upstaters.... I did visit the catskills one summer with a girlfriend. I can't remember if that is northern NY or not. If it is... man that is beautiful country.
    Told ya I could ramble.
  • #Justic... smitty 2012/03/23 22:55:27
    #Justice4Trayvon 629 BLOCKT CONS
    The Catskills are downstate, south of Albany (the state capitol). The upstate mountains are the Adirondacks.

I can just imagine the look on your little ones faces. My children are all grown so I'm having fun being Nana. I've got 4 of my grandsons here right now. Dominic & Isaiah just came running through while Jose & Malachi are playing on their uncle's PS3. How old are your little ones, if you don't mind me asking? I only had one daughter & she's 34. She's "sandwiched" between her 2 older brothers (40 & 37) & her 2 younger brothers (24 & 21).
  • smitty #Justic... 2012/03/24 13:38:33
    smitty
    +1
    My little princesses are 7, 10, and 14. They are very much little women in the making.

They love going to Reds games, too. One game I got one of my clients ticket a couple rows from home plate. The kids were loving it. When we got up to leave, the 2 guys behind us (who had been busy swilling quite a few beers tapped me on the shoulder. One of them said "I just have to say in our 20 years of season tickets in this spot they were amazed at how my kids sat there and watched the game. All the other kids they had seen where up running around and causing a disturbance which in turn they weren't able to enjoy the game. They asked if they could by the kids an ice cream cone. My kids left with huge smiles and I with pride in my head.

You sound like my mom... The more grandkids she has with her the happier she is!
  • #Justic... smitty 2012/03/25 03:24:30
    #Justice4Trayvon 629 BLOCKT CONS
    I remember when my kids were little & their "home training" showed out when they were in public. It made me feel real proud too.

I had one girl & she was such a challenge as a teenager. I had to remind her that I wasn't put on this earth to be her friend at that time. Eventually we became friends but it wasn't when she was a teenager LOL!

Yeah, I love my grandbabies.

Tonight was a tough loss. So many times during the game they were neck & neck. Oh well, such is life. Glad baseball season is starting soon.
  • smitty #Justic... 2012/03/26 18:40:45
    smitty
    +1
    Ah yeah.. Sorry the Bucks took that one. Melo would have been an asset in that game.

I was hoping my cats would beat the cards and then we could have the cats play the cuse for the title. That's they way it goes in the tourney too. I am a little worried about Pitino this weekend, but we will see.

Unfortunately the reds lost their closer and have been stinking the place up.
  • smitty 2012/03/14 18:04:19
    smitty
    They were the weakest of the 4 top seeds. Now without Melo I doubt they go very far.

I am pretty sure they will make it past Asheville... Although I picked Asheville to upset them. For the price of an early pick I decided to risk so I could be able to say... yes i picked that upset.

The second round looms with Kansas St. This team can be a beast. If they play like they can, 'Cuse is toast without Melo.
  • Sterling 2012/03/14 17:53:09
    Sterling
    Any time a team loses one of their core players they are going to have much less of a chance at winning. Anything can happen, who knows who might be sitting on the bench waiting for a chance, but most likely they are going to lose out first round.
  • hari 2012/03/14 17:31:57
    hari
    i wish
  • frank 2012/03/14 16:42:25
    frank
    This is College basketball and anything can happen

2014/11/28 08:43:22