Can a gun take possession of a person's soul, and turn a peaceful law-abiding citizen into a murderer?

KoAm 2013/01/10 02:47:45

• knoodelhed 2013/02/06 11:32:50
    No. Blaming inanimate objects for people's actions makes no sense.
    knoodelhed
  • marie 2013/01/15 02:21:01
    marie
    humans are responcible for thier actions.. not the object they use.
  • Little Mamma 2013/01/15 02:01:45
    Little Mamma
    people kill people not a gun.
  • krayzrick 2013/01/12 14:23:39
    Yes, guns can do this. But knives, ropes, and baseball bats can't.
    krayzrick
    ...Maybe.
    A 'joint' made me run around naked once....
  • METALheadMom 2013/01/12 14:21:28
    METALheadMom
    Considering the fact that the theory of having a soul comes from religion, and one of the most popular religious texts consists of stories containing murders WITHOUT guns, linking murder with soullessness is INSANE.
  • pottersgirl 2013/01/12 13:53:25
    pottersgirl
    crime may be as a result of revenge,blood thirst or many other reasons. no weapon can make a person a murderer.
  • 2ndAmendment 2013/01/12 09:22:00
    2ndAmendment
    Just read an article earlier in the week from the FBI with statistics that hammers and blunt instruments are used to commit murder more often than rifles. Timothy McVeigh didn't use a gun! The 911 terrorists didn't use a gun! The worst killing of elementary school kids in America happened in Michigan (I think in the 40's) by a custodian who planted bombs/explosives all over the school. Thank God all of them didn't detonate or the body count would have been higher! Jim Jones of Guyana fame didn't use a gun! A whole family was wiped out in Polk County Florida in the late 90's by a neighbor sneaking in their garage and poisoning their sodas. The highest civilian in the Polk County Sheriffs Department was bludgeoned to death with a baseball bat! The individuals carrying out these horrendous acts are evil incarnate! If society removes one of their tools they will just find another.
  • CWOO10 - PWCM 2013/01/11 14:29:01
    CWOO10 - PWCM
    +1
    Although holding a 44 Magnum in your hands is a lot more effective than a 5 Hour energy drink. What a rush!
  • DecreeB 2013/01/11 03:13:53
    DecreeB
    But other, outside influences that challenge a person mentally can. There was a shooting at some school today where a 16 year old boy took a shotgun to school and shot a kid. You could tell he still had an ounce of humanity because a few teachers were able to talk him into influence. I'm sure it wasn't the gun that made him do it.
  • Pyro-82 2013/01/11 00:39:27
    Pyro-82
    +1
    Actually, I think the option above stats it better than I can while still remaining polight.
  • KD 2013/01/10 20:16:19
  • yaaarrrggghhh 2013/01/10 18:01:28
    yaaarrrggghhh
    +1
    In a Stephen King novel.
  • StEwPiD MoNkEy 2013/01/10 16:13:35
    StEwPiD MoNkEy
    +1
    No comment. Just wanted the points. lol.
  • Freeranger 2013/01/10 16:00:16
    Freeranger
    If that's true, then so can collecting Hummels, antique cars, stamps, salt&pepper; shakers or any other object that a person collects.
    +1
    Oh fer cryin' out loud.... NO!
  • KoAm Lady Wh... 2013/01/10 14:02:07
    KoAm
    +1
    My thoughts exactly ...
  • Lady Wh... KoAm 2013/01/10 14:23:23
    +1
    Thankies!
  • RogerCoppock 2013/01/10 12:01:24
    RogerCoppock
    Some people are actually crazy enough that a weapon will change their personalities, drive them over the edge. I have personally seen this happen.

(I would includes knives and bats.)
  • KoAm RogerCo... 2013/01/10 12:04:19
    KoAm
    +2
    I disagree. Unless you can read their minds, you really don't know that the person didn't have violent tendencies already.

An inanimate object cannot "change personalities," as you have claimed. Personalities are a deep part of a person that can't even be changed by another person, let alone an inanimate object.
  • RogerCo... KoAm 2013/01/10 12:13:37
    RogerCoppock
    How fortunate you are! You have never been in a 'kill or be killed' survival situation.
  • KoAm RogerCo... 2013/01/10 14:02:53
    KoAm
    +1
    How do you know?
  • Lady Wh... KoAm 2013/01/10 13:24:31
    for once we agree!
  • METALhe... KoAm 2013/01/12 14:39:29
    METALheadMom
    You really think that we all naturally only have ONE distinct "personality"? I beg to differ on THAT one. If personalities cannot be changed, then what's the point of intense psycho therapy? I know for fact that personalities CAN change - and it's not all that hard to do. The human mind is FAR more changeable that people think. It's all a matter of how BAD you want change, and what resources you have available to get it. OH YES indeed "other people" CAN change people.

What NEEDS to be addressed, is the USA and their EXTREMELY POOR mental health care system. When I say BAD, I mean almost non-existent. I'm willing to bet just about every murder involving any type of deadly weapon, was committed by someone who DESPERATELY needed mental health care.
  • KoAm RogerCo... 2013/01/12 03:27:16
    KoAm
    >>>Some people are actually crazy enough that a weapon will change their personalities>>>

I'd blame it on the "crazy," then. Not on the weapon.

Without the "crazy," the weapon wouldn't be able to have that changing effect on them.
  • METALhe... KoAm 2013/01/12 14:42:15
    METALheadMom
    Define "crazy". Be careful - that's a dangerous label to use. Kinda offensive in fact.
  • Unicorn... METALhe... 2013/01/12 18:21:17
    Unicorns vs Narwhals
    Why should she? She's not the one who originally said the word crazy.
  • trap flapper 2013/01/10 11:47:57
    trap flapper
    +1
    But let me tell ya, when your gun sits down to the dinner table with ya and asks ya to pass the potatoes, you better get it under control.....
  • ShelaKay0523 2013/01/10 07:56:29
    ShelaKay0523
    +2
    You don't have to be a conservative to know that gun violence is done by people, not guns. I lean slightly left of moderate, but I love the 2nd amendment. I'm not gonna sit back and wait for the cops to show up when someone breaks into my house. I'm going to defend my family in the most effective way around: with a firearm.
  • KoAm ShelaKa... 2013/01/10 12:01:44
    KoAm
    +1
    Thanks for the reply. Just to be clear, I never framed this as a conservative-vs.-liberal issue.

One need not be a conservative to support the right to bear arms.

The 2nd Amendment wasn't created by conservatives, or "right wing nut jobs," or "gun nuts," or the NRA. It was created by the very Founders of the Republic.

It's a constitutional right that completely transcends modern-day right-or-left politics.
  • ShelaKa... KoAm 2013/01/10 19:24:36
    ShelaKay0523
    I agree :-) But you know how people categorize. If you're pro-guns, you must be a right-winger, and if you're not, then you're a progressive -.-' They do the same with pretty much every other issue, and it drives me nuts, so I've gotten into the habit of explaining myself.
  • 2ndAmen... KoAm 2013/01/12 09:49:58
    2ndAmendment
    Jen, only problem I have with that is the progressives nominated, supported, and voted for the statist government that is working ferociously to take our God given rights away! It is basically an oxymoron to say you are progressive but support the Second Amendment!
  • Lady Wh... ShelaKa... 2013/01/10 13:24:57
    well said
  • Sal Monella ~PWCM~JL 2013/01/10 05:36:38
    Sal Monella ~PWCM~JL
    +2
    Evil plays a big role too.

Satan has a very easy job when people go around convinced that He isn't real.
  • METALhe... Sal Mon... 2013/01/12 14:53:50
    METALheadMom
    "Satan" would MUCH rather we kill and/or maim each other slowly and while administering as much pain as possible. Quite different than killing hundreds of Egyptian boys in their sleep, or drowning millions at a time by flooding them.
  • joe keeney 2013/01/10 05:08:02
    joe keeney
    +1
    But it could be possible in the hand of a liberal.
    +2
    It is the person that makes the choice ..
    for the tool they use to MURDER is irrelevant ..
    (it is just a tool that they use .. )
    doesn't matter whether that tool is a gun, a car, a knife, a tire iron or a pencil ..
    the PERSON has the intent and acted upon their intent ..

(and I'm quite familiar with self-defense and firearms .. needless to say .. none of my tools has ever 'possessed' anything other than space in the workshop, garage, home or safe)
  • Lady 2013/01/10 05:05:55
    Lady
    +3
    NO! I meant to click NO. . .just making sure you got that
  • KoAm Lady 2013/01/10 08:48:35
    KoAm
    +1
    Roger that!
  • Morgan 2013/01/10 04:02:27
    Morgan
    +4
    No it can't
  • C. C. Rider 2013/01/10 03:37:32
    C. C. Rider
    +4
    mmm I don't know about guns but I have seen a car do this

lol

2014/04/18 16:01:08