Britney Spears Preparing for Posthumous Comeback?

Gossip 2010/05/26 19:57:55
Britney is dead serious about coming back to life. The 28-year-old pop star has invested money into a cryonics firm called the Alcor Life Extension Foundation in hopes that she can be frozen in liquid nitrogen after death and brought back to life when technology makes it possible.

Her obsession with preserving life after death began when she heard that Walt Disney had been cryogenically frozen and will be brought back to life at some point in the future. Though the rumor obviously holds no truth, Spears was so intrigued by the myth that she spent Mother's Day researching the subject while a babysitter attended to her children, a friend of Britney's said.

The Alcor Foundation states on its website, "Cryonics is a speculative life support technology that seeks to preserve human life in a state that will be viable and treatable by future medicine. It is expected that future medicine will include mature nanotechnology, and the ability to heal at the cellular and molecular levels."

She is reportedly only waiting for her father's approval before committing to being frozen, but she has yet to respond to press directly.

Britney has also considered having her ashes turned into diamonds. (Seriously.)

• Pee,wee 2010/05/27 15:36:21
    I think Britney Spears ...
    Pee,wee
    I think Britney is a Beautiful looking woman, I really don't care to much for her music..
    but she has a great looking A...ss,

oooppp'ss what Happened!!!! once upon a time she did........ britney spears britney beautiful woman care music ss ooopppss
  • ↓←↑♣→NVL←♣↑→↓ 2010/05/27 15:24:32
    I think Britney Spears ...
    ↓←↑♣→NVL←♣↑→↓
    No one wants her now so who would want her in the future
  • baller 2010/05/27 13:06:34
    I think Britney Spears ...
    baller
    She is HOTTTTTTTTTT...
  • Koatz 2010/05/27 13:04:25
    I think Britney Spears ...
    Koatz
    Only one generation should be subjected to Britney.

She would seem like a dinosaur to people in the future.
  • Mark5610 2010/05/27 10:06:55
    I think Britney Spears ...
    Mark5610
    A fool and their money soon part.
  • Please, no. We have to endure Britney Spears even after she dies?
    Яᴇv☠Doɴɴγ☠Dooᴍ☠Aɢɴosᴛɪc
    One time is enough.
  • Loctia 2010/05/27 06:39:43
    Please, no. We have to endure Britney Spears even after she dies?
    Loctia
    She does know Walt Disney wasn't really cryogenically frozen right?

http://snopes.com/disney/walt...
  • ~Roxy~Navy~Brat~ 2010/05/27 04:47:57
    I think Britney Spears ...
    ~Roxy~Navy~Brat~
    +1
    why not? It's her money
  • EricaMiaO'Riley 2010/05/27 04:18:01
    That's great. Britney Spears should come back to life if she can.
    EricaMiaO'Riley
    +1
    I saw this on Penn & Teller and I think its kinda cool, if it works and you have faith in it, I think you should go for it. I hear that its expensive but i think its something to try. What do you have to lose? Once your dead either get buried or get froze, the only difference is one you have the chance to live again if thats what you want. But if it doesn't work then, nice try anyway. It may be thousands of years but I think someday it could be possible. I remember when I was little she was like my idol, i loved her music. Even though I'm not into that stuff anymore, I still like her. Its like an ex boyfriend/girlfriend. You may not like them now, but there was once a time you loved the person and enjoyed time together. Sure she went through a rough time, but don't we all at some point?
  • Catnip "Guru" ∞ 2010/05/27 03:57:33
    I think Britney Spears ...
    Catnip "Guru" ∞
    Why doesn't she just have herself stuffed? It's the same thing!
  • Michael... Catnip ... 2010/05/27 11:08:45
    MichaelHeise
    Today ?
  • Catnip ... Michael... 2010/05/27 16:53:39
    Catnip "Guru" ∞
    Well, maybe not today! When she croaks obviously which hopefully won't be for many, many, many, MANY years!!!! That's right. I hope she lives to a ripe old age. When "Hit me baby one more time" is played on the oldies station. When she's playing bingo with Christina Aguilera and Mandy Moore at the Home for retired pop stars. When Miley Cyrus releases her own line of Orthopedic Sketchers.
  • Michael... Catnip ... 2010/05/30 10:27:02
    MichaelHeise
    That was really funny on a very high level. Congrats...
  • Lolaa 2010/05/27 02:58:16
  • Saяahღ 2010/05/27 02:36:58
    Saяahღ
    She's crazy, seriously she needs a therapist.
  • kate Hampton 2010/05/27 01:51:40
  • Hales 2010/05/27 01:34:33 (edited)
    I think Britney Spears ...
    Hales
    I don't care if she does come back. I'll probably be dead once she is revived.
  • too much pain 2010/05/27 01:33:44
    I think Britney Spears ...
    too much pain
    is good i guess but believe it or not britney spears is my cuzion and my mom is friends with her sister my other cuz on facebook
  • Shelleree 2010/05/27 01:21:09
    Shelleree
    I think everyone should stop trying to play God and let the natural process continue as it always has ! Wonder what kind of FREAKS scientist will create before they figure this out ? Kinda Scary !
  • clock 2010/05/27 01:19:58
    clock
    +1
    I'm all for it. If richies like Spears and Disney don't fund the drive on this, it'll never happen for the rest of us.

let them be the pioneers. should it work, eventually the technology trickles down to the rest of us.
  • Heather123abc 2010/05/27 01:16:40
    I think Britney Spears ...
    Heather123abc
    hasn't really come to terms with the fact of death. Everyone dies...you can be afraid of dying but not of death itself...it that makes sense..

...unless this is her idea of trying to stay in the spotlight...
  • Demon Dolphin 2010/05/27 01:05:21
    Demon Dolphin
    She's just trying to get attention, probably.
  • ellomotto 2010/05/27 01:00:36 (edited)
    I think Britney Spears ...
    ellomotto
    http://www.cartoonstock.com/l... rich she can afford it why not I don't really givev a sh*t one way or another
  • Poison Ivy 2010/05/27 00:54:10
    I think Britney Spears ...
    Poison Ivy
    She can do what she wants with her money, but I'm curious. Is she going to do it before, or after her kids are older? I think she is so crazy, but maybe it could happen. I never heard that Walt Disney did it, but that is cool. He is a great guy.
  • Bonnie 2010/05/27 00:39:44
    Bonnie
    +2
    Well, here are two things not mentioned in this article:
    1. It is illegal to cryopreserve a living human being. Alcor's website states that the foundation knows that and will not break the law by doing it. They will only cryopreserve a human being that has been declared medically dead (their heart has stopped) by a medical professional. So knowing that does make it a little less weird (I guess) to want to be cryopreserved.
    2. Cryopreservation *does* cost money! Alcor doesn't give specifics on its website, but suggests to those interested a $150,000 life insurance policy, payment of member dues to the Alcor Foundation before death/cryopreservation, and a deposit into (basically) an individual trust fund, protected and managed by Alcor, that will earn interest and be given back to the cryo-patient once they are revived. After all, if they freeze you, you're going to need money (and probably lots of it, considering our current and ever-increasing rate of inflation, right?) when they "thaw you out."

(Yeah, obviously this website was fascinating to me...I became engrossed and read WAY more than I ever needed to know about cryopreservation and nanotechnology, LMAO.)

So...cryopreservation is really just another option in addition to cremation or burial. Considering that tho...

So...cryopreservation is really just another option in addition to cremation or burial. Considering that those interested in and willing to be cryopreserved are making a huge donation to science, I say, more power to her. She's got the money, she knows the risks and limitations, and, in the end, society will benefit from what Alcor learns during their attempts - be they successful or unsuccessful - to revive her down the line. Go Britney!

I wonder if, when she was considering being cremated and having her ashes turned into diamonds, she ever considered willing/entrusting those diamonds to someone with specific, legal instructions to sell them and donate the proceeds to various charities? Hmmmm...
  • lsparrish Bonnie 2011/05/28 16:52:02
    lsparrish
    The cost for a full body preservation with Alcor has recently gone up to $200,000. They set a lot more aside for each patient's reanimation than their competitor the Cryonics Institute, who only charge $28,000 per full body patient. Also Alcor includes standby/stabilization which is the most expensive aspect. I looked into getting a $200k life insurance policy, and it is not too expensive.
  • smileyseven 2010/05/27 00:34:59
    I think Britney Spears ...
    smileyseven
  • herbie ... smileys... 2010/05/27 16:09:04
    herbie hind
    this never gets old for me . lol
  • smileys... herbie ... 2010/05/27 22:09:35
    smileyseven
    +1
    haha me either thats why i love using it :)
  • apples.5 2010/05/27 00:34:58
    apples.5
    I love Britney and I love the madness.
    And defined in the song crazy
  • jimiwhitten 2010/05/27 00:15:40
    I think Britney Spears ...
    jimiwhitten
    I think she should have herself frozen NOW - that way, when the technology is such they can keep her alive forever - she will still be young! (and I don't have to hear from her until I leave the planet for good)
  • PRISCIℓℓA♥ 2010/05/26 23:57:10
    PRISCIℓℓA♥
  • marbleswh 2010/05/26 23:54:23
    marbleswh
    i really actually like her (music)
  • bags 2010/05/26 23:41:12
    I think Britney Spears ...
    bags
    needs to read up on what happened to baseball great Ted Williams.

Ted Williams’ Frozen Head Allegedly Abused by Alcor
    By Steven Tarlow,

When Baseball Hall of Fame outfielder Ted Williams died at the age of 83 in 2002, he was cryogenically frozen by the Alcor Life Extension Foundation of Scottsdale, Arizona. As the company’s name indicates, the hope was that Williams could eventually be revived once medical technology had advanced enough to resuscitate “Teddy Ballgame.” In the meantime, the cryogenic treatment kept Ted Williams’ head on ice. This service has been provided at no doubt what amounts to great expense, the kind of expense that would drive people to a personal loan company just to keep up with freezer fees.

But Who Watches the Head Watchmen?

All is not rife at Alcor, alleges an upcoming book entitled “Frozen.” There are allegations that Ted Williams’ head has been abused. FOX Sports reports that Larry Johnson, former Alcor COO, alleges in the book that Williams’ head was “repeatedly abused” by untrained workers. The abuse wasn’t even casual, says Johnson. “Gruesome” is the operative word.
    MLB’s Last .400 Hitter Reduced to Batting Practice Head

Johnson’s allegations are shocking to anyone with a modicum of human decency, but they are particularly troubling to th...

By Steven Tarlow,

But Who Watches the Head Watchmen?

Johnson’s allegations are shocking to anyone with a modicum of human decency, but they are particularly troubling to the Williams family and baseball fans everywhere. Ted Williams used to say that when he went walking down the street, he wanted people who saw him to say, “There goes the greatest hitter who ever lived.” I’m sure he had no idea that his frozen cranium would ever be on the receiving end of the punishment he gave to Major League baseballs from 1939 to 1960. He put pitchers out of work with regularity. If that happened today, they could have gone to a personal loan company. However, such safe consumer businesses didn’t begin to appear in earnest until the 1980s.
    Tales From the Frozen Ballyard

As the story goes, Ted Williams head was removed from his body in a haphazard fashion by untrained Alcor employees. Next – and this sounds more like a scene from a Kevin Smith film or an episode of “Family Guy” – Ted Williams’ severed head was allegedly “used for batting practice by a technician trying to dislodge it from a tuna fish can,” according to “Frozen.” Aside from Williams’ head being battered by what you’d suppose to be drunken yahoos on the job, there are also allegations that live dogs were dismembered at Alcor and injected with chemicals for “experimental purposes.” Other bodies may have also been used and abused.
    The COO Wore a Wire to Work

Johnson had been the chief operating officer at Alcor for eight months before he realized that something wasn’t right behind the scenes of his company. In 2003, he began wearing a wire to work in order to record the shenanigans. Audio recordings and photos were supposedly used to help compose “Frozen,” although I’m wondering whether he ever took the information to the authorities. If he was innocent of wrongdoing, what would he have to worry about?
  • Bonnie bags 2010/05/27 03:55:17
    Bonnie
    That's pretty interesting...I don't accept it as 100% truth because I haven't looked into it beyond what you've posted here (no offense), but it's definitely one of those things that nags at the back of my mind. I mean, if I were to will Alcor a minimum of $150,000 of my life insurance policy AFTER paying annual membership dues every year of my life AND entrusted them with some large amount of money to manage in a trust fund to earn interest on while I'm frozen, who's to say they'll keep they're word?!

I mean, besides the potential for desecration and abuse of frozen bodies, you're giving these people a pretty significant amount of money with the extremely strong faith that they're actually going to freeze your body and that they're actually going to try to thaw you out eventually. Now, I thing all this cryopreservation and nanotechnology stuff is tremendously interesting, but I'm not super-rich AND I have a family. Maybe if I didn't have a son to will my inheritance to, or perhaps if I had so much money that the...what...$500,000?...that Alcor would want from me wouldn't make a significant dent in the grand total my son would be due to inherit, I would sign up tomorrow. Maybe. Even then, though...would you really want to wake up tens or hundreds or even thousands of years...

I mean, besides the potential for desecration and abuse of frozen bodies, you're giving these people a pretty significant amount of money with the extremely strong faith that they're actually going to freeze your body and that they're actually going to try to thaw you out eventually. Now, I thing all this cryopreservation and nanotechnology stuff is tremendously interesting, but I'm not super-rich AND I have a family. Maybe if I didn't have a son to will my inheritance to, or perhaps if I had so much money that the...what...$500,000?...that Alcor would want from me wouldn't make a significant dent in the grand total my son would be due to inherit, I would sign up tomorrow. Maybe. Even then, though...would you really want to wake up tens or hundreds or even thousands of years in the future and try to exist in a world that you don't know and in which all your loved ones were dead and gone? Eh. Not me so much. To me, life IS my loved ones.

I respect the studies of and research into cryopreservation and nanotechnology. But me, well...I'll hand my remains over to the people I know and love and trust.
  • bags Bonnie 2010/05/27 13:32:07
    bags
    We're local to the Red Sox, and this whole story was front page news at the time. know I'm a newbie with no record of my veracity to my postings....but do look up Ted Williams on Google. I posted a less 'blow by blow' version than many truly reputable sources have.

Cryogenics is in no way ready for this sort of thing. And Alcor in particular has a bad track record. Not long ago on TV they were saying that might have to go belly up...the reporter kept asking them about the people they already have taken charge of. The spokesman kept deferring the question.

Me, I've had enough of being cold. I wish to be cremated. Like the corpse in the great Yukon poem 'The Cremation of Sam MvGee'......"And there sat Sam, looking cool and calm, in the heart of the furnace roar;
    And he wore a smile you could see a mile, and he said: “Please close that door.
    It’s fine in here, but I greatly fear you’ll let in the cold and storm—
    Since I left Plumtree, down in Tennessee, it’s the first time I’ve been warm.”

Peace
  • Bonnie bags 2010/05/27 13:47:29
    Bonnie
    +1
    Very interesting! I did do a quick Google search and found a great deal of information. I tend to agree with you on not wanting to hand my body, money, and well-being over to Alcor. If someone else wants to, that's their right and I certainly won't stand in their way, but me...mmmm, no gracias.

LOVE the poem, by the way...thanks so much for sharing!!
  • nancydoodle 2010/05/26 23:31:58
    I think Britney Spears ...
    nancydoodle
    that's crazy like she's thinking about all that at 28? That's crazy to think about that at such a young age I mean who thinks about that? If it's what she wants more power to her but i think i would like to live my life normally until it's my time to go.
  • Bonnie nancydo... 2010/05/27 00:25:09
    Bonnie
    Well, I agree, LoL, but it is currently illegal to cryopreserve a human being before they are declared legally dead; that is, until their heart has stopped beating. So she's not talking about being cryopreserved tomorrow or anything, just about perhaps choosing cryopreservation when she dies in lieu of burial or cremation. (Unless, of course, she decides she'd rather, "have her ashes turned into diamonds." LMAO.)
  • nancydo... Bonnie 2010/05/27 03:04:01
    nancydoodle
    that's true lol but yeah like who would buy diamonds made of ashes that's gross and like the people that would buy them might be die hard britney fans and like i like her and all since me and my sis were fans fans of hers since she begun her career so I wish the best for her but I wouldn't buy her ash diamonds lol.

2014/10/31 14:29:03