BountyGate: Should Gregg Williams Be Banned for Life?

Sports 2012/04/06 19:00:00
It's not everyday you get to go inside an NFL locker room. While there are shows like "Hard Knocks" and "Inside The NFL," people tend to act differently when the camera light turns red to record. Whether or not former New Orleans Saints defensive coordinator Gregg Williams is truly a bad person or not, is something that will be decided in the court of public opinion.

Unfortunately for Williams, the court of public opinion won't be on his side for awhile, if ever. Filmmaker Sean Pamphilon just happened to be working on a documentary about former Saints player Steve Gleason, who suffers from Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), when he was in the Saints locker room last season. It was there where Pamphilon recorded a speech from Williams that disturbed him so badly since Bounty Gate that he chose to release the audio on YouTube.

The audio is graphic and damning in Williams' case for an appeal or reinstatement. The speech is from Williams' final game with the Saints, an exciting postseason classic against the San Francisco 49ers. Sadly, the drama and emotion of that game is now tainted by the shocking comments Williams made, insisting his players to aim for the heads of the Niners players, as well as wide receiver Michael Crabtree's ACL. With this evidence out there for the public and league to hear, should Gregg Williams be banned for life?

• wolf sloan 2012/04/10 14:38:25
    wolf sloan
    +1
    It would go against the NFL's policy. DUI, animal abuse.dirty play,steroid users all part of their corporate image.
  • Purple Pinto ~PWCM~JLA 2012/04/10 11:40:34
    Purple Pinto ~PWCM~JLA
    Williams is a thug with no class, no morals, and no sense of sportsmanship. Why, oh why would anyone with a brain cell put such a jackazz in a leadership position?

First, we look the other way while these spoiled, overpaid players continue to struggle with not knowing how to conduct themselves off the field. Now, we want to allow the coaches that want to perpetrate career and life changing injuries on the opposing team's stars a pass? Those men are someone's father, son, husband.

Just what the hell has football become? Why not just start feeding Christians to the lions again on an ESPN spinoff channel and call it good?
  • JohnT 2012/04/10 04:25:04
    JohnT
    +1
    Any coach that promotes injuring other players which in essence could end their career has no place in sports. He should be in caged ring fighting with his low life attitude.
  • mk, Smartass Oracle 2012/04/09 22:16:10
  • Manster 2012/04/09 20:04:17 (edited)
    Manster
    I think that's been an unstated part of the game from Day One! Try to knock the best player on the opposing team out of the game. Why do they advertise the hard hits and glorify the players who administer them?Didn't Deon Sanders alluded to that during his Hall of Fame induction speech,when he said,"To those who said I never tackled, ask my momma about every bill she handed to me!"
  • BoardinOK 2012/04/09 18:14:33
    BoardinOK
    I would bet lots of other coaches do the same types of things, just haven't been caught.
  • keliffa 2012/04/09 15:17:41
    keliffa
    Michael Vick was not banned for life but there is talk of banning this idiot?
  • jacktown kid 2012/04/09 15:00:08
    jacktown kid
    Hope he learns his lessons
  • Guido 2012/04/09 11:11:03
    Guido
    Not even 5 minutes
  • Rammstein 2012/04/09 04:40:26
    Rammstein
    he shouldn't be banned, but no one in their right mind would hire him after this
  • the fuze 2012/04/09 03:52:32
    the fuze
    +1
    Not just for the bounty program but for also trying to cover it up.
  • flrdsgns 2012/04/09 00:32:31
    flrdsgns
    +1
    Man should be in jail
  • ☆FritzW☆ 2012/04/09 00:22:55
    ☆FritzW☆
    +1
    Williams got caught and he's getting punished for doing the same dang thing that plenty of other coaches have done. When I played football in high school way back when.. you were congratulated openly for a 'great hit' that knocked some poor kid out of the game. Times have changed and the game has been mellowed, for sure.. but, it's still a game of collision and violence. I don't condone a reward system but I do understand where it comes from. The only thing I wonder about is why did he talk about it with a camera in the room.. man was that dumb.
  • beachbum 2012/04/08 23:09:24
    beachbum
    You betcha.
  • Bob DiN 2012/04/08 14:13:44
    Bob DiN
    A fitting punishment.
  • Met 2012/04/08 10:06:19 (edited)
    Met
    +1
    Banned for life?

Because he was the one that got caught?

There's too many nannies in the nfl today, i purposefully don't watch soccer because of that.

I understand the need to protect players. And i get in today's era we know more about the effects of taking those types of hits repeatedly over a career.

but head hunting because the rest of the public is just now catching on that Football is a violent contact sport?

Watching the other team's quarterback try to breath with 6 broken ribs, and looking to find his open receiver while being face planted on the turf is part of the fun.
  • Chukroast 2012/04/08 09:15:56
    Chukroast
    No, but I think an investigate should be carried out to determine the extent of the injuries that were incurred because of his "bounty" And, he should be held accountable to pay damages to all players who have been hurt as a result of his actions.
  • wilsonmja 2012/04/08 01:34:42
    wilsonmja
    +3
    Yes, absolutely. I love to watch football and every time I see a guy go down after a hit and not get up, I forget what the score is, forget that I'm watching a damn game and just say,"Oh please let him be OK." These are human beings out there and for a coach to not only want to see other human beings (human beings in his line of work at that) get hurt and possibly lose their livelihood, or their lives for that matter, but to pay thugs bounties to make that happen is unforgivable. He should be banned for life, the players who went out to injure over chump change to them should be banned for at least a season without pay, and coach Peyton should be publicly kicked in the balls and then banned for at least 3 years.
  • paul 2012/04/08 01:25:52
    paul
    +1
    Well....... he is No Saint st farncis
    +1
    Won't happen - just like college coaches - get caught cheating you're done - what happens they just move onto another team
  • CHUCK 2012/04/07 23:02:53
    CHUCK
    +3
    YES THEN HANG HIM..

HAPPY EASTER..

Photobucket
  • joe mauro 2012/04/07 22:42:47
    joe mauro
    +3
    make an example of this mean spirited out law
  • P-RIV 2012/04/07 15:05:25
    P-RIV
    no but he needs to be taught a lesson that is for sure
  • wildcat 2012/04/07 04:13:47
    wildcat
    +4
    For messing with the integrity of the game he should absolutely be banned for life.
  • Pablo 2012/04/07 01:05:02
    Pablo
    +4
    I heard the tape....unbelievable what an adult with responsibility will say to those without anything between their ears. Disgraceful and shameful, any one who says things like this ought to be banned....football is brutal, but this takes it a step higher, putting a bounty on an opponents head with a severe case of intentional injury. At this time of NFL is working on reducing head injuries....and bad press.
  • Hoochie Coochie Man 2012/04/06 22:14:34
    Hoochie Coochie Man
    +1
    Vince Lombardi Hall of Fame Coach. Arguably the greatest coach in NFL history and who's name is on the most coveted trophy in the game. If people choose to look he put out bounties on opposing teams. Shall we strip him from the game ? Mr Williams made a bad choice of words at a bad time nothing more nothing less. Media should be nurtured and banned from all locker rooms. Bounties will continue without a doubt its all part of the game and has been since Vince's days.
  • joe mauro Hoochie... 2012/04/07 22:43:44
    joe mauro
    +1
    no sale
  • Hoochie... joe mauro 2012/04/07 22:46:38
    Hoochie Coochie Man
    Hate that for you but it is what it is
  • JohnT Hoochie... 2012/04/10 04:28:58
    JohnT
    I am not buying it either. We don't need to cut the players years playing by idiot coaches trying to take them out.
  • Sam DePecan 2012/04/06 21:57:52
    Sam DePecan
    +1
    I recall certain Texas High School Football Coaches yelling stuff from the sidelines back in the 50s; over a Half Century ago, about "Okay! Let's see some Head-hunting out there!" . . . Personally, I say that if you can't stomach American Football, then keep your little ping-pong ball ass away from the Sport and you won't have to worry. Common Sense will tell you that!
  • Pablo Sam DeP... 2012/04/07 00:59:08
    Pablo
    +4
    I'm sure you'll feel that way when they target your son. You may be big and strong, but are not match for the wise and insightful. The NFL has to go beyond the gladiador image.
  • Sam DeP... Pablo 2012/04/07 21:23:51
    Sam DePecan
    Well, you know yourself that if are NOT Split and lining up at the Tightend on the Weekside, and your Blocking Assignment is Inside Up To Head Up WithThe Tackle Inside Outside Pass-pattern Safety AND THEN The Outside Linebacker From Weakside Bingoes with the Tackle, That You Can Probably Expect That Corner Back Is Going To Rush The Flat And Catch You Broadsided; Thus, what do you expect, anyway, ACUPUNCTURE!? . . . After all, you ARE God's Gift to Football. I can tell that just by your "family insights" relative to the NFL Rule Book. That makes sense . . . Vince Lombardi!!!
  • joe mauro Sam DeP... 2012/04/07 22:44:11
    joe mauro
    +2
    common sense sez bar him
  • askmike 2012/04/06 21:44:50
    askmike
    +2
    It is the NFL, not the NHL.
  • wpsark 2012/04/06 20:40:21
    wpsark
    +4
    I hate bad sportsmanship
  • TasselLady 2012/04/06 20:17:56
    TasselLady
    +4
    Pond scum doesn't belong in sports or anywhere, except maybe in a pond.
    pond scum
  • xcide13 2012/04/06 20:13:47
    xcide13
    +2
    I would call all of you that said yes fools. But that would be unfair because it is horribly obvious that none of you have a clue about professional football. This type of behavior has been going on since the inception of the NFL and AFL (not that any of you will know what that is). To ban someone for life for behavior perpetrated by every franchise in the history of professional football is assinine and unjust. Please remove your buttcheeks from your shoulders and get a clue.
  • Sam DeP... xcide13 2012/04/06 21:59:13
    Sam DePecan
    Hook'em Horns!!
  • Pablo xcide13 2012/04/07 01:02:15
    Pablo
    +2
    I think the sport needs to get cleaned up. With the NFL working on reducing head injuries, this is no remedy to target harming some one else. Years ago, pading was mimimal, head gear was leather, and yet tackling was clean and mindful of injury to themselves rather than to the opponent. Today, a player probably can take on a black bear with all that get up.
  • xcide13 Pablo 2012/06/06 15:02:51

2014/08/21 16:08:46