Billy Joel and Rihanna Vs. Pandora: Whose Side Are You On?

Fergie 2012/11/15 21:00:00
Pandora is a widely popular internet radio service that I'm sure many of you use. You might have heard that they've been backing something called the "The Internet Radio Fairness Act" which they claim will "level the playing field" between internet radio and traditional radio.

Currently, satellite radio providers and traditional radio stations pay lower royalties than internet radio stations, and Pandora thinks this is unfair -- they want to pay the same amount that the other radio stations pay, regardless of the medium.

On the surface this seems to make sense, but not everyone sees it that way. Artists including Billy Joel, Rihanna, Missy Elliot, Maroon 5 and over 100 others wrote an open letter to Congress asking them to reject the act. They're claiming musicians rely upon internet radio royalties, and if the Internet Radio Fairness Act is passed, those royalties will be reduced by 85 percent.

Being that ultimately the success of internet radio depends on musicians, what do you think? Do you think Pandora and other internet radio providers should pay less royalties, or do you side with the musicians?

INQUISITR.COM reports:
Billy Joel, Rihanna, and several other musicians wrote an open letter to Congress today asking lawmakers to reject the Pandora-backed Internet Radio Fairness Act.
musicians wrote open letter congress lawmakers reject thepandora-backed internet radio

Read More: http://www.inquisitr.com/399090/billy-joel-rihanna...

• rachelle 2012/11/19 16:14:07
    Pandora's side
    rachelle
    +18
    Just because its internet doesnt mean they should pay more. to the artists i think they make enough money and are just full of themselves.

• DAVE-0 2012/12/07 12:00:22
    Pandora's side
    DAVE-0
    I hear it on Pandora, I like it I buy it. The Musicians get a royalty. Seems like the musicians might give pandora credit as an advertiser.
  • Gary Charles 2012/12/04 02:33:43
    The musicians' side
    Gary Charles
    As a musician, songwriter, and being indie, we have to somehow get paid. Sure the big name artists make tons on money while the little guy gets just about nothing. It costs a lot of money to produce a CD. With Pandora you must have a physical CD available at Amazon and digital at iTunes before you ever can be considered for Pandora. In order for an India label to be in Amazon as a physical product they must pay Amazon $30 a year maintenance fee even if you never move a single CD. I have read that Pandora rejects about 70% of what is submitted to them. So your CD better be good and up to their standards and for the most part that means having your production professionally mixed and mastered if you want airplay on Pandora. All big money. $10,000 or more. This is a complex issue. Someone above complained at the high cost of concerts. Why? Bands and artists can't make money from recorded music so they have to make it up somewhere. A live concert is one place where you can't rip off the artist. For the most part, you need a ticket to get in the hall. Try getting in to see band without a ticket. Difficult. Download their entire new release from the internet. Easy.
  • Zakkman666420 2012/11/25 10:38:19
    The musicians' side
    Zakkman666420
    Alot of artists only get online airplay, especially more underground artists.
  • GoDucks5 2012/11/25 06:59:09
    Pandora's side
    GoDucks5
    Why are they complaining about getting less money when they are already overpaid and rich?
  • yabbadabbadoo 2012/11/25 04:29:11
    Pandora's side
    yabbadabbadoo
    i think theyre rich enough along with soooo many others so they can go f themselves
  • sally 2012/11/24 20:50:15
    Pandora's side
    sally
    Boo hoo hoo so what if the musicians don't get a couple of thousand more dollars?
    rolls eyes gif
  • Cortland 2012/11/24 17:23:28
    Pandora's side
    Cortland
    +1
    Awe.....poor poor famous over paid idiots, looks like you might end up living like a commoner....... Scream in terror
  • johngoodboy 2012/11/24 15:59:49
    Pandora's side
    johngoodboy
    Radio should not pay anything to these artists period. If there was no radio or internet how would the public here their music? They would have to pay for their own promos and infomercials. Paying the artists to play their music is wrong and should be free.
  • Platinum Fangs 2012/11/24 06:48:55
    The musicians' side
    Platinum Fangs
    +1
    May both sides burn in the flames of defeat.
  • ♥N A♥ 2012/11/24 03:59:37
    Pandora's side
    ♥N A♥
    +1
    They have enough
  • BILL 2012/11/24 03:24:34
  • tatilee(: 2012/11/23 21:07:48
    Pandora's side
    tatilee(:
    +1
    For the simple fact I'm listening to it right now lol
  • Rodimus Knight 2012/11/23 17:09:36
    Pandora's side
    Rodimus Knight
    +1
    I am sorry, did the poor little rich babies loose their golden pacifiers?

Please, give me a break...these people have more then enough money from royalties form radio, record sales, use for TV and movies, and concerts.
  • Beat Magnum True Hero 2012/11/23 08:21:03
    Pandora's side
    Beat Magnum True Hero
    +1
    The labels and artists who want to destroy Pandora (by forcing it to act like FM radio) should understand that over 90% of my music purchases (legitimate purchases) in the past five years are a direct result of music I discovered on Pandora. This is just another desperate attempt for the music industry to hold on to their dead business model where they completely control the content and distribution.
  • ☯♡♡Kelsie♡♡☯ 2012/11/23 00:51:42
    Pandora's side
    ☯♡♡Kelsie♡♡☯
    +2
    They're millionaire's and they're whining about getting less money... Aw, poor things. *rolls eyes*
  • GoDucks5 ☯♡♡Kels... 2012/11/25 06:58:44
    GoDucks5
    +1
    I agree, how come I can't get paid that much? Well I'm not famous but it doesn't look like it's that hard to become famous these days with all of the idiots who have became famous. I need to become rich haha. Well I would spend a lot of money on you if I was, well, I already would but you are such a beautiful lady inside and out :)
  • MadMax GoDucks5 2012/11/25 13:34:16
    MadMax
    ...wow.
  • Playerazzi 2012/11/22 13:35:13
    The musicians' side
    Playerazzi
    +1
    Songs can be copied from the internet, but not as easily from radio. They are pristine and digital from the internet, and from the radio they would be analog, and besides, you don't know when they will be playing on the radio.

As for "they make enough money already", the big names in music and entertainment in general do make a lot of money, but not the little names. There are dozens of people, if not hundreds involved in making an album. It's like a move - look at the credits next time in a movie. It seems like it's endless. Same with albums. They don't all make millions.
  • Adam Playerazzi 2012/11/23 02:54:59
    Adam
    +3
    Just want to point out that the music that gets stolen by piracy isn't pulled off of Pandora. It's probably ripped from a physical CD, then shared with everyone. Or bought from itunes. or amazon. Or really, any number of places much more convenient then Pandora.

Also, those little names get a LOT more exposure online. Make a specialized radio station and discover a little indie band you like, and Pandora will provide a link to buy the song and support the artist. If your not popular yet, good luck trying to get on the radio. Little bands have a lot more to gain online.
  • yabbada... Adam 2012/11/25 04:39:45
    yabbadabbadoo
    i think thats part of the problem...sooo many people are getting more exposure, so many singers are coming out every year, vh1 & mtv features new singers, american idol, etc...its too much already and it dilutes the music industry
  • Adam yabbada... 2012/11/25 15:06:25
    Adam
    I don't agree that this is a problem. Its allowing more fresh blood in the industry, inspiring creativity and variety instead of lowest common denominator crap, and gives more artists a chance to make a living off of their craft. I don't like most popular music, and this explosion of exposure allowing more niche interests lets people like me get more variety more easily. Also, it gives artists a chance to become popular based on merit and word of mouth instead of good marketing. And besides, Id rather have a dozen artists adding there unique perspective on music to culture and making very good money then one artist being pressured to make there music appeal to as many people as possible, and being obscenely wealthy.

Basically, this new boom of exposure changed the music industry from one giant McDonald's to a McDonalds and a bunch of mom and pop diners, ethnic food shops, quaint little cafes and artisanal bakeries.
  • Beat Ma... Playerazzi 2012/11/23 08:26:07
    Beat Magnum True Hero
    +4
    I don't know when they will be playing on the radio, because I no longer use the radio for music. As the other poster mentioned, illegal copies come from CD rips and legal downloads. Copying from Pandora (while theoretically possible) is difficult.

The thing that makes Pandora so superior to radio is the fact that they play a much wider variety of music on their channels than the radio will ever dare to. If they had to pay more in royalties, they would have to advertise more, charge their customers more (for premium accounts), and probably cut out a lot of good music that isn't as mainstream.

Pandora plays a lot of good "B-Sides" that the radio would never dream of. I have sat there, written down/liked songs, and then gone to iTunes or even Amazon and purchased the music because it was that good. A lot of smaller and more independent artists have made it into my playlist because of this.

The record industry's old model is dead. They've been fighting tooth-and-nail to hang onto it since the late 90s, but we live in a world with broadband. Adapt or die.
  • Playerazzi Beat Ma... 2012/11/23 09:31:26
    Playerazzi
    Hmmmm . . . . .

I guess I'll check out Pandora, then.
  • yabbada... Playerazzi 2012/11/25 04:37:55
    yabbadabbadoo
    maybe we can stop giving 7 million dollars a day to Israel and start giving it to these greedy rich people to shut them up
  • Playerazzi yabbada... 2012/11/25 07:52:35 (edited)
  • yabbada... Playerazzi 2012/11/25 10:08:56 (edited)
    yabbadabbadoo
    what happened? the israeli zionist american welfare recipient didnt like that comment? oh well
  • Playerazzi yabbada... 2012/11/26 08:42:52
    Playerazzi
    What happened? The hate-monger didn't like being called the Troll he is?

Trying to start an argument?

Hmmmmm ?

It's hard being a troglodyte, eh?
  • Bite my shiny metal ass 2012/11/22 00:41:17
    Pandora's side
    Bite my shiny metal ass
    +1
    i like internet radio,so.......

pandora
  • *~The Doctor's Rose♥~* 2012/11/21 23:46:25
    Pandora's side
    *~The Doctor's Rose♥~*
    +2
    These artists make enough money as it is, so I don't think they should be complaining. And regardless if it's satellite, traditional, or internet..it's a radio. So why should Pandora have to pay more than the others?
  • KitKat 2012/11/21 21:16:59
    Pandora's side
    KitKat
    +1
    Musicias' make a lot of money either way. :/
  • KitKat KitKat 2012/11/21 21:17:31
    KitKat
    Musicians'*
  • LeroyRogers 2012/11/21 17:46:44
    Pandora's side
    LeroyRogers
    +2
    anything that has "fairness" in it can't be fair.
  • Beat Ma... LeroyRo... 2012/11/23 08:28:17
    Beat Magnum True Hero
    +1
    It's basically an issue where a true successor to traditional FM radio - Pandora - finally came along. The old guard and the old business model is dead, but damned if they adapt, so they'll sue until they make the competition suck as bad as they do. That's how "fairness" works.
  • Carson 2012/11/21 05:48:08
    The musicians' side
    Carson
    Radio cannot be directly copied like the internet can, Or am I just living in the 1950's.And also if they do wish to crush pandora they should boycott i.
  • Adam Carson 2012/11/23 02:58:21
    Adam
    +1
    That points kind of irrelevant since music pirates don't get their music from Pandora, they get it from ripped CDs. Pirates bay and Pandora are 2 completely unrelated entities. Of course they arn't going to boycott Pandora, because Pandora provides them with way too much money from sales, exposure and the like.
  • Carson Adam 2012/11/29 00:59:20
    Carson
    Fair enough.
  • Meagan 2012/11/21 05:43:56
    The musicians' side
    Meagan
    +1
    Totally. It's bad enough people steal all of their music from the internet. I don't think everyone really gets how they make money. If you like them and/or their music, support them.
  • Adam Meagan 2012/11/23 03:01:02
    Adam
    +1
    Pirates bay and Pandora are 2 completely different things. Music pirates take songs from ripped CDs. Pandora listeners are just like radio listeners, except they have a convenient option to buy the artists song. I bet that for music artists, Pandora is much more profitable. Why should they have to pay more to make someone else more money?
  • Meagan Adam 2012/11/23 03:53:39
    Meagan
    I never said they pirated music from Pandora, I said the internet. Why does anyone pay more for anything. Profits from everything you buy doesn't just go to the person you are paying, whether it is a service or product.
  • Adam Meagan 2012/11/23 22:40:04
    Adam
    It sounds like you are implying some fault on the part of Pandora for piracy. If that's not the case, okay, fair enough. People can be a bit boneheaded about how business works in the world of entertainment. HOWEVER, where do you think the big bucks of the future are for music? They are in selling songs online, which Pandora facilitates GREATLY, They are in reaching a wide audience to generate concert ticket sales and merchandise, which an internet based service is much better at then radio. And they are in niche markets finding that niche, which is only really possible through services like Pandora. Pandora is offering the music industry a piece of a much, much bigger pie, its just that percentage wise, that pie is not as big as when the music industry had a stranglehold on the market. This isn't about fairness, this is just a strategy that the music industry is using to try to maximize profits. Which fair enough, their a business, that's kind of their thing. But the writings on the wall, that the nash equilibrium that determines what is fair for Pandora to pay is no where near what the Music Industry is (Claiming) to expect. In fact, Pandora should probably pay less then traditional radio, because they have a better mechanism for reaching an audience, and more incentives to ...
    It sounds like you are implying some fault on the part of Pandora for piracy. If that's not the case, okay, fair enough. People can be a bit boneheaded about how business works in the world of entertainment. HOWEVER, where do you think the big bucks of the future are for music? They are in selling songs online, which Pandora facilitates GREATLY, They are in reaching a wide audience to generate concert ticket sales and merchandise, which an internet based service is much better at then radio. And they are in niche markets finding that niche, which is only really possible through services like Pandora. Pandora is offering the music industry a piece of a much, much bigger pie, its just that percentage wise, that pie is not as big as when the music industry had a stranglehold on the market. This isn't about fairness, this is just a strategy that the music industry is using to try to maximize profits. Which fair enough, their a business, that's kind of their thing. But the writings on the wall, that the nash equilibrium that determines what is fair for Pandora to pay is no where near what the Music Industry is (Claiming) to expect. In fact, Pandora should probably pay less then traditional radio, because they have a better mechanism for reaching an audience, and more incentives to send business to the artists and their labels. I'm not disgusted by there bald faced attempt to eek out a few dollars they don't justly deserve because that's business, but I do see it for what it is: a bluff that needs to be called. In the long run, consumers will win, and chances are so will the labels and the artists.

2014/07/31 11:38:39