'Bachelorette' Ashley Picks J.P.: Did She Choose the Wrong Guy?

PopNews Wire 2011/08/02 12:00:00
In the end, Ashley trusted her gut.

True, her gut almost led her to Bentley, but Ashley didn't let Jesse James' ex-fiancee Kat Von D -- er, her older sister, Chrystie -- stop her from marrying the man of her dreams. She chose the man most of us knew she was going to pick: J.P.

"I do not want to be with anyone else but you forever," she tells the hunky New Yorker as she awaits his inevitable proposal.

"You're the one, you're it," he responds. "Ashley, will you marry me?"

And of course, she says yes. But it wasn't so easy getting to that point.

At the family meeting in Fiji, it takes about 15 minutes for Ashley's sister to realize that J.P.'s not right for her.

"I think you're too much for him," she tells Ashley, making her little sis cry. "I think you're too young and too spunky and he's just a little bit older and a little bit more demure."

At 34, poor J.P. is being treated like Hugh Hefner, but OK.

Ashley confronts her sister and even busts out the b-word in a made-for-TV moment -- "You're being such a bitch!" -- but cheers up just in time for an erotic mud pit date with Ben.

And that brings us to Ben. Poor, sweet Ben. This is the guy who makes reality TV look real. Painfully real, to the point that he makes you recall your worst-ever break up, then imagine having the humiliation televised and broadcast in front of millions of people.

Viewers at home who were paying attention probably picked up on the fact that while Ashley could be really "goofy" with Ben (cue the puke-tastic doggie voices), her "passion" was for J.P.

But Ben clearly didn't see it coming. Not only does he declare his love to Ashley, ask her family for permission to marry her, and select a ring, he is "confident" that she'll say yes.

"Everything in life to me is clear -- this is it," he says in a heartbreaking speech. "I do believe Ashley is in love with me," he continues, describing Ashley as a "new addition to the family" after losing his father four and a half years ago.

Ashley tries to stop him -- sort of -- but he gets down on one knee and says what every girl longs to hear: "Will you marry me and make me the happiest man on Earth?"

In response, Ben hears the two words that every man dreads hearing -- "I'm sorry."

"This is the hardest thing that I've done here. I care about you so much," Ashley continues as he storms off.

Ben is furious at this point, and we don't blame him. While viewers could tell that she had more of a spark with J.P., at no point did she give Ben any clue that he wasn't going to be the winner. As he puts it, "There were no hints."

Is this really the cruelest show on TV masquerading as the most romantic?

Of course, Ashley is crying and feeling "awful" about hurting Ben's feelings, but she perks up right in time for J.P.'s proposal. As REO Speedwagon plays in the background, J.P and Ashley declare their love for each other. It's every junior high school girl's romantic fantasy come true, including the roller rink.

Leap of faith? Indeed.

--Jennifer D'Angelo Friedman, PopNews Wire

• ♥manda(: 2011/08/04 03:46:32
    ♥manda(:
    I wasn't a fan of Ben...
  • lawlerskates 2011/08/03 12:53:54
    lawlerskates
    +1
    It's no wonder marriage doesn't work out anymore for folks. When shows like this are on TV............UNREALISTIC this would never ever happen in real life. How is this romantic? I don't see it. Just looks like crap entertainment for the lonely.
  • Yes
    Lady Jules ♥♥ in Lestat I trust ♥♥
    I keep finding it funny that the sister is being slammed for being honest. Can't believe she's getting slammed for being tattooed either. Really sad
  • NJ 2011/08/03 09:47:42
    NJ
    either way..she ruined her life by being a bachelorette in a show which is full of lies
  • DFA 2011/08/03 09:27:58
    DFA
    She picked the wrong way to feign love.
  • ~HopelessRomanticM17~ 2011/08/03 07:08:04
    ~HopelessRomanticM17~
    +1
    I knew she would pick him. I liked J.P :D
  • Sylvanas 2011/08/03 05:54:38
    Sylvanas
    Lets be honest here. Every single one of those men should be supermodels. No matter who she chooses, its never the wrong guy. If only i can get a super model......
  • Rhi-ot. 2011/08/03 05:42:44
    Rhi-ot.
    +2
    JP is awesome!! I'm glad he won. He was so sweet to her that night she was moping.
  • mybrutalromance 2011/08/03 05:25:10
    mybrutalromance
    I DON'T CARE! There are way more important things to fuss about...
  • Sylvanas mybruta... 2011/08/03 05:55:44
    Sylvanas
    YEA! For example, Ryuk is a moron and Yagami Light is so much better (and way hotter). change your picture.
  • mybruta... Sylvanas 2011/08/04 07:42:21
    mybrutalromance
    -.- Ryuk ended Light!
  • Sylvanas mybruta... 2011/08/08 19:01:30
    Sylvanas
    whatever. light is so sexy. ryuk is a nub cake. and light killed like 2 shinigami. I think light wins.
  • mybruta... Sylvanas 2011/08/10 01:15:40
    mybrutalromance
    Unless you find man with a god complex sexy, I refuse to say Light is better than Ryuk. Out of boredom, Ryuk just went ahead and finished the kid.
  • Sylvanas mybruta... 2011/08/13 10:22:02
  • GirlGoingGreen 2011/08/03 05:07:31
    GirlGoingGreen
  • Ash-the-empress 2011/08/03 05:03:50
    Ash-the-empress
    If you have to meet your significant other on a reality show, it's always the wrong guy.
  • Terrance Earle 2011/08/03 05:02:19
    Terrance Earle
    lmao random vote!!!!! :)
  • Leah Armstrong 2011/08/03 04:56:57
    Leah Armstrong
    I wish them the best and hope they are happy...
  • Invader_Xion 2011/08/03 04:54:06
    Invader_Xion
    Not at all. Ben is much better off now than with some "reality TV" skank. And since he has had all the publicity he's gotten, I''m sure more than one woman is gonna come knockin.
  • Kari 2011/08/03 04:46:12
    Kari
    Every time a 26 year old girl in America references the Bachelorette, a 13 year old girl in China graduates from college.
  • Shae 2011/08/03 04:25:02
    Shae
    J.P. is a great guy, they seemed to have far more romantic chemistry than her and Ben. She definitely made the right choice.
  • Isabella 2011/08/03 04:05:40
    Isabella
    This was the FIRST season I didnt watch ugh I missed it and regret EVERY second of it... :(
  • The Political Centrist 2011/08/03 03:33:06
    The Political Centrist
    JP is much smarter then Ben aka Monkeyface.
  • Kassie The Pol... 2011/10/18 15:52:12
    Kassie
    OK, so your avatar states "no labels" and then you turn around and call someone a monkeyface? Maybe you are confused, but name-calling is just another label, and not a very nice one, either.
  • Otaku Link 2011/08/03 03:21:18
    Otaku Link
    +2
    She picked a guy on a TV show...

I give her a 99% chance of failure...

picked guy tv 99 chance failure FAIL

(I've included a picture of her new honey WITHOUT all of the professionally applied television make-up)
  • anipso 2011/08/03 03:01:45
    anipso
    +1
    ive never seen the show a single time so i guess not. I mean she had to pick him for a reason right.
  • Isabella anipso 2011/08/03 04:06:35
    Isabella
    Me neither
  • Denny 2011/08/03 02:54:21
    Denny
    JP picked the wrong gal. First thing I would have to tell her would be to shut up. hope she buys a lot of cheese for all that wheining she's done the last months.
  • Lilymoon 2011/08/03 02:38:36
    Lilymoon
    Does it really matter, cause in about 6 months the engagement will be off. Once the cameras stop rolling that's when the "real reality", seeps in. By the way, I have never watched this vapid excuse for entertainment.
  • Sista Nunya 2011/08/03 02:37:54
  • chris 2011/08/03 02:23:44
  • Tigger Too 2011/08/03 02:09:33
    Tigger Too
    Really, who gives a rat's ass? Of the many couples who have appeared on the Bachelor and the Bachelorette, only ONE COUPLE has ended up tying the knot. Well, at least with each other. Trista and Ryan Sutter are the ONLY couple who ended up happily married, with children. TV dating reality shows are ridiculous. They're nothing more than soft-core, PG-rated porn, showing lengthy make-out sessions and implying that things may have gone a little "further" off-camera. The worst part is when the camera gets right in there for a close-up while the couple is sucking face, and you can hear all those slurping noises. Ewww... IMO, TV dating shows are thin on reality and thick on manipulating the "romances" to garner higher ratings. Puke. Bring back the old "Dating Game" for some REAL entertainment!
  • ♫ Mz BillieJoe ♫ 2011/08/03 01:57:12
    ♫ Mz BillieJoe ♫
    OMG she and Ben have an invisible dog, whats gonna happen to him :( So sad.......
  • Chi~Cat 2011/08/03 01:43:56 (edited)
    Chi~Cat
    +1
    JP seems too insecure and domineering. Whomever she picked...to each their own. I think it was definitely a competition with JP. Don't see this lasting at all. Ben is the winner in this~
  • msteresa87 2011/08/03 01:03:24
    msteresa87
    i'll never care about this crap
  • Hula girl - Friends not Fol... 2011/08/03 01:00:56 (edited)
    Hula girl - Friends not Followers
    +1
    I liked Ben better and think he was more stable and more her age. We weren't there so only they know but if she knew way ahead she sure played Ben and for that she should get a best actress award. I also didn't like J.P. because he has a Jealous side which is a lack of self esteem...that's is not good for a relationship.
  • Skylaris Alanis 2011/08/03 01:00:29
    Skylaris Alanis
    Who cares.
  • Katy 2011/08/03 00:59:17
    Katy
    +1
    Boy did she make a mistake! She kept saying she could be herself around Ben..not once do I recall her saying the same about JP
  • gunner 2011/08/03 00:10:48
    gunner
    anytime you find your "lover" on a television show, he/she is probably the wrong person haha. they will probably break up in 2 months anyways.... and wow that is a lot of people who voted on this!!!!!!
  • FatherLiberty 2011/08/02 23:57:38
    FatherLiberty
    +2
    Of course she did... she selected a guy from a f**king game show. All this show does is increase our already extremely high divorce rate.

2014/10/25 02:17:00