"Argo" Wins Top Prize at SAG Awards: Will It Win the Best Picture Oscar?

SodaHead Film 2013/01/28 21:20:52
Related Topics: Argo, Ben Affleck, Sag Awards
When awards season began no one was surprised to see Ben Affleck's thriller "Argo" pick up a lot of nominations, but few expected to see it actually win awards.

However, that speculation has turned around after last night's 19th Screen Actors Guild (SAG) Awards, as "Argo" took home two statuettes - including Best Cast in a Motion Picture, the top prize of the night.

This comes immediately after a big night for "Argo" at the Producer's Guild Awards on Saturday Night, where it also received the top award, and now many are saying that this means "Argo" is a shoo-in to win Best Picture at the Academy Awards.

Speaking to the LA Times backstage, director Affleck said "I absolutely thought there was no way we would win this award. You look at 'Silver Linings Playbook,' 'Les Miz,' 'Lincoln' — I thought, 'Well, no matter what happens, I know we won't win, and I'm OK with it.'"

Do you think that "Argo" will win Best Picture at the Academy Awards?

• codie.paul 2013/02/15 20:20:58 (edited)
    codie.paul
    Interesting a lot more for no. I dont think it has the potential like Lincoln. And maybe Zero Dark Thirty. I have yet to see Argo and Zero Dark Thirty. But as good as it looks and has done, i just think Daniel Day Lewis knocked everyone out of the ballpark. And the picture was really good. Other actors were really good. Same with storyline. I dont know. Sure is going to be interesting. I would like to see Lincoln win though. And if you dont like the topic mentioned you dont have to comment. Enough said. But Life Of Pi and Django Unchained looked good.
  • Dave 007 2013/02/03 12:58:30
    Dave 007
    Does it matter who wins, most of us have not seen or care to see the pictures nominated.
  • davidg2e 2013/02/02 04:55:05
    davidg2e
    I really Iiked "Argo," (ditto "Life of Pi") and I think it was better than "Lincoln," which dragged and had some really dead spots, but I think the subject matter is less controversial. It has the patina of age, which will work well for it. I don't think "Lincoln" deserves the Best Picture award and will be disappointed if it wins. "Django Unchained" was far more entertaining.
  • VoodooDemon 2013/01/31 06:03:14
    VoodooDemon
    It's hard to say. It could since it's been doing well so far at award ceremonies (and that's usually a sign that it will win at the Oscars), but I'm still guessing that it'll go to either Zero Dark Thirty (I know Bigalow wasn't nominated) or Lincoln. But Argo definitely has a good chance.
  • DOriginalDonald 2013/01/31 02:19:32
    DOriginalDonald
    Affffffffffffffffffffffffffff... wasn't nominated for Best Director. I think the Best Picture will go to Lincoln
  • BlenderBuzz 2013/01/31 01:56:59
    BlenderBuzz
    I don't think so but I rarely get it right.
  • silentart 2013/01/30 21:42:41
    silentart
    can not favor Agro to win because I have not see all new movie... Just wait for Netflix
    Oscar award is not glamour as past... too many favorism among stars and producers. Money talk more than before...
  • Loop 2013/01/30 16:09:30
    Loop
    Although Life Of Pi is easily up there with it.
  • Linda 2013/01/30 14:26:47
    Linda
    +1
    I loved Argo. I really did. I think Ben Affleck did an amazing job uniting three different story lines (Hollywood, CIA and Iran) seamlessly. But, in my opinion, Silver Linings Playbook should win for Best Picture. It was so different, so well done, so well directed .... I could go on. I think that Daniel Day Lewis has it sewn up for his portrayal of Lincoln, but would love to see Bradley Cooper win. I believe Jennifer Lawrence will and should win an Oscar for Best Actress and I'm thrilled. I think Tommy Lee Jones was superb in Lincoln - the screen came alive when he was on it. So I predict he'll win the Best Supporting Actor Oscar. And i think no one can touch Anne Hathaway in her incredible performance for Best Supporting Actress.

As far as directors, Ben Affleck (Argo), Tom Hooper (Les Mis) and Kathryn Bigelow (Zero Dark Thirty) weren't nominated, so there's no chance they can win. I predict the Oscar for Best Director will go to either the Director of Silver Linings Playbook or Steven Spielberg for Lincoln.

The Life of Pi was probably the most visually incredibly beautiful film I've ever seen in my life. So I'm predicting it will win some of the visual awards. And I think best song will go to Adele (I can't WAIT to hear her acceptance speech for an Oscar :).

I'm really looking forward to the Oscars this year. I've been so impressed with so many of the movies that are involved.
  • Cosmosoddgirl 2013/01/30 08:42:03
    Cosmosoddgirl
    +1
    If life of pi doesn't get it we were robbed!!
  • Ozymandias 2013/01/30 05:18:17
    Ozymandias
    +1
    If Argo doesn't win Best Picture, I imagine it'll win at least one Oscar.
  • HillaryLover 2013/01/30 04:35:54
    HillaryLover
    +1
    Great movie, but no. Lincoln will prevail.

Best picture: Lincoln
    Best Actor: Daniel Day Lewis
    Best Actress: Jennifer Lawrence
    Best Supporting Actor: Tommy Lee Jones
    Best Supporting Actress: Anne Hataway or Sally Fields (flip a coin)
  • Al in S... Hillary... 2013/01/30 17:40:26
    Al in St. Lou
    +1
    I believe you're correct, but I think Lincoln is only the third best nominee.
  • Domenic Stagno 2013/01/30 04:28:25
    Domenic Stagno
    Argo is an excellent movie and i loved it, but it cannot compare with the astounding "LIncoln"!
  • codenamev 2013/01/30 03:49:42
    codenamev
    This is another example of how Hollywood awards someone who made their bones by coming up through the system as an actor, a writer and now a director. It's why Redford's ORDINARY PEOPLE (a terrific slice-of-life drama) beat out Scorsese's RAGING BULL (an amazing feat of filmmaking and an undeniable classic) in 1980 and how Costner's DANCES WITH WOLVES (don't get me wrong; that's an incredible film) beat out Scorsese's GOODFELLAS in 1990 (again, an undeniable classic, and the last great film Scorsese would make).

I didn't expect ARGO to have the legs that it's showing, and many of the indicators are there for this film taking home a surprise victory, being yet another film where Spielberg will likely win for Best Director (or maybe Bigelow for ZD30), but getting beaten by another film that isn't as good. ARGO is a really good film, and Affleck has shown his obvious directorial talent in all of his films, but there are superior films out there this year.
  • mae 2013/01/30 01:30:53 (edited)
    mae
    No, SAG Best Movie award winners go on to win the Oscar for Best Picture less than half the time.
  • Lena 2013/01/30 01:11:07
  • Christine 2013/01/29 23:51:33
    Christine
    I didn't think it would, but it keeps winning awards. I liked Argo, but I never really saw it as a "Best Picture" winner. But honestly, out of the whole bunch I don't know what will/should win. I expect either Argo or Lincoln.
  • Leigh-Anne 2013/01/29 23:30:49
    Leigh-Anne
    But it doesnt deserve to, the best fil nominated this year HANDS DOWN is Beasts of the Southern Wild. If you havent caught this one yet, trust me, you will see the world with renewed light afterward.
  • blumunofky 2013/01/29 23:09:40
    blumunofky
    As a Kentuckian, it's pains me to diss "Lincoln," but it was the most. boring. biopic. EVER. (I'm pulling for Sally Field, though. At least somebody in the picture didn't look animatronic and/or dyspeptic.)
  • Lyka Midik 2013/01/29 22:58:02
    Lyka Midik
    Argo was a good movie but not the best of the year. It lacked a grabbing quality that holds the audience the whole way through, the middle portion being fairly disinteresting.

Don't be surprised if another film takes the Oscar.
  • lena 2013/01/29 22:57:26
    lena
    It's good but I think something else---I don't know what---will win.
  • Efram Paul 2013/01/29 21:46:08
    Efram Paul
    But it should. There are good nominees this year, but ARGO is the best one, and ought to win.
  • Jerome ... Efram Paul 2013/01/30 02:44:20
    Jerome Shipanik
    agree
  • Souldog 2013/01/29 21:45:59
    Souldog
    I think Lincoln will win.
  • lkreu 2013/01/29 21:16:21
    lkreu
    Seems like if you win the SAG the Oscar goes to another. I think b/c Ben was ignored the Academy they gave him the SAG - but I could be wrong. I heard Lincoln is wonderful - and "silver linings playbook" was also excellent.
  • A Fab 2013/01/29 21:07:33
    A Fab
    Now the chances are very high for Argo....because Daniel Day-Lewis has the 99% in getting his third Best Actor Oscar, not always there is a sweep in all categories for the film to win. Go Ben...
  • charles nelson 2013/01/29 20:51:19
  • charles... charles... 2013/01/29 22:44:39
    charles nelson
    what the f am I sayin.....propaganda has pretty much discounted anything.....I guess we just have to wait....it's either armagedan or slow rise in sea levels.......let just wait and be friends
  • barby karring 2013/01/29 20:34:40
    barby karring
    Won't win best picture but it will be acknowledged; so thumbs up to Ben ; )
  • El Prez 2013/01/29 20:06:01
    El Prez
    +1
    Possible but not likely. Lincoln is just too powerful. However, the academy has been known to surprize!
  • Chrissi 2013/01/29 19:50:04
    Chrissi
    I certainly HOPE so!!
  • Robert Strobel 2013/01/29 19:36:47
    Robert Strobel
    Have not seen it, but word on the street is DS'jango unchained is better.
  • daveygater 2013/01/29 19:30:39
    daveygater
    +1
    i predict "Lincoln" will win best picture (and more)
  • DUGGINS 2013/01/29 19:10:17
    DUGGINS
    I say yes mainly because Affleck should win something because he sure is one lousy actor, so maybe the liberals in Hollywood will take pity on Ben, after all they believe the underdog should win regardless because he can't compete on a regular basis.
  • disclaimer 2013/01/29 19:06:17
    disclaimer
    It's won the Golden Globe and now the SAG. They're usually indicators.
  • Colin L 2013/01/29 18:49:12
    Colin L
    Lincoln's the favorite, and Zero Dark Thirty if it isn't.
  • Resp 2013/01/29 18:48:06
  • Grizz 2013/01/29 18:41:35
    Grizz
    hands down winner is.......Lincoln.
    the closing scene of Lincoln on his deathbed was most riveting---- lincoln on his deathbed
  • Aqua Surf BTO-t-BCRA-F 2013/01/29 18:09:41
    Aqua Surf BTO-t-BCRA-F
    To make up for Affleck not getting a Best Director Oscar nomination. Hellyweird loves their guilt.

2014/04/19 22:34:59