Are you wondering what's with all the Brits on American TV?

Lucy 2011/01/21 17:01:44
This question is not very important in the big picture, but it bothers me.
I love English people, from the Queen to the Beatles, but I find myself watching American TV and suddenly I hear a bunch of English accents. Couldn't they find any American for replace Larry King? Why not a woman? Is CNN suddenly owned by England? There is yet another English accented woman giving news on Anderson Cooper. It is getting on my nerves. How about you?

• robman6 2012/12/07 01:01:07
    yes
    robman6
    I am sick and sick and sick of pretentious British accents. Do the people doing advertising think that we as Americans find it interesting or that British people are more believable or smarter. The smarter Brits left over 200 years ago, and the British are always the explorers. Why? Because it sucks to live in England--duh--its better to be on a frozen mountain or super heated desert than to be in England--duh.
    Please do us a favor and send the Brits home and let Americans have their jobs!!!!!!
  • Lucy robman6 2012/12/31 17:00:46
    Lucy
    Well, I have been to England and it is very lovely, but I am an American in the U.S. and do not want to pretend I am in England by hearing those voices. The one I really can't stomach is that officious, awful Pierce-I can't remember his last name.
  • California Dreamer 2011/11/18 07:37:01
    yes
    California Dreamer
    +1
    I totally agree with you. Why must the Golden Globes be presented by a Brit? Almost all the realty shows have Brits in the judges panels. With all the joblessness in the U.S., how about stopping with the outsourcing of announcers and various actors. Americans don't get those kinds of jobs in England, New Zealand, Australia, or any other British colonies.
  • Califor... Califor... 2011/11/18 07:40:28
    California Dreamer
    +3
    I also want to bring up that almost every had has a Chinese actor in it...especially the bank ads and the gas companies. What's up with that? I don't dislike Chinese, but again, I wonder why they are being featured so prominently. There aren't THAT many Chinese per capita here in America. What about Native Americans, for example? You rarely see them being featured. I don't want to know what Shell is doing to create jobs in Asia....do you?
  • Lucy Califor... 2011/11/18 22:11:57
    Lucy
    Good. I want to see Native Americans too. I think the Chinese own this country and are trying to ease the Chinese on us at a slow rate.
  • Lucy Califor... 2012/07/09 06:45:58
    Lucy
    Well, in that case I think China owns us and so if a Chinese company wants an ad they get it. It is who has the money and unfortunately until the casinos, not many Native Americans had any money at all.
  • Lucy Califor... 2011/11/18 22:11:07
    Lucy
    +1
    Yes!! You are right. I think American actors should protest this British craze.
  • Lucy Califor... 2012/07/09 06:44:43
    Lucy
    You are so right.
  • LADYBRYCE 2011/11/04 06:09:30
    yes
    LADYBRYCE
    +1
    I am a Brit, having been educated in Britain, lived there for 21 years and worked there. I also lived and worked in Canada. In both England and Canada you would never hear an American voice on a TV news program. Living in the US, I resent hearing British accents on my TV. I disagree with the Canadian who wrongfully thinks that Brits are more educated that Americans. Have you heard some of the British people speak? Do they sound educated to you. They don't hire Brits, Canadian or Americans, or any other nationality, who are not educated, to speak publicly on TV. There are enough educated Americans who know how to do this job, as well as educated Brits or Canadians. I have never heard of an American on a Canadian news program and that is probably because Canadians are so anti- American and so biased against Americans, that they think they are better educated, which is also not true. Canadians benefit because they are next door neighbors of America, and they really don't want to admit that, but if they had Mexico, or anyone else, as a neighbor, they might feel differently, but they don't, so they never will appreciate how lucky they are.
  • Lucy LADYBRYCE 2011/11/04 21:55:48
    Lucy
    Yes, there are some bad attitudes of superiority in both countries. Americans are just who we are; some smart-some not so smart. I wonder why Canadians are anti-American. We are not anti-Canadian.
  • marcus 2011/06/16 03:27:41
    yes
    marcus
    +1
    I think there are too many Brits on American TV. If I want to watch Brits (which I do at times) I turn to BBC. Their general know it all, I'm too good for you attitude becomes annoying and I just turn the shows off. A Brit here and there is okay, but when there are tons on a show it doesn't feel american - especially Reality TV because I find myself saying, 'what do you know of Americans?'
  • Lucy marcus 2011/06/17 19:03:26
    Lucy
    +1
    I agree with you. There are plenty of qualified Americans who make good announcers etc. Do you think the networks think we like to hear Brits? Too much is too much. I like an accent from the region we are in.
  • katywon 2011/02/04 01:13:06 (edited)
    yes
    katywon
    +1
    The only thing I resent about the British and Australia, NZ actors taking over our movies and TV is the fact that they are taking away American jobs. With the exception of Kevin Spacy(American) who speaks with an English accent at all times there are many many excellent if not terrific American trained and experienced. I live in Los Angeles but have nothing to do with Entertainment. Have loved movies and TV shows from childhood. The main reason the Brits come here is MONEY and thats the reason most American actors stay here . I believe in making good money for a days work but our American movie and TV paychecks are ridiculous. Example: Charlie Sheen for a lousy TV show made for immature people. P.S, I love the UK and Australia. Just glad I live in the USA. tv immature people love uk australia glad live usa
  • Lucy katywon 2011/02/05 18:25:33
    Lucy
    +1
    Good points. I think Rupert Murdoch owns a tv station and I believe he is British; maybe he has a soft spot for them.
  • katywon Lucy 2011/02/17 18:43:36
    katywon
    Lucy, you and Seathan may both be right. The Rupert Murdoch idea seems reasonable. I have lived in Scotland and believe me all Brits are not highly educated. They can leave school legally at 14. The accent is what fools you , because it is so different it sounds higher class somehow. But the class system still works in Britain as in America because a good speaker can fool almost anyone into believing anything. As for the Aussies also , I am not sure about their education but I think there is also a class system there. We in The USA have it too in many ways. But as the Canadians we can make ourselves into anything or anyone in the Public Presentation area. Think of some of our well spoken politicians who are idiots.
  • Lucy katywon 2011/02/18 00:45:16
    Lucy
    Good letter. Another thing that has nothing to do with nationality of actors is the reality show. Those shows take jobs from actors all the time and I think they are wrong to do that.
  • Scott 2011/01/24 14:19:25
    no
    Scott
    We don't usually seem to get very admirable people to represent us in America. Shame that.
  • Lucy Scott 2011/01/24 20:27:04
    Lucy
    They could have hired Brian Williams or James Carvell. At least James would be funny.
  • Scott Lucy 2011/01/26 13:42:07
    Scott
    I don't know who either of those people are.
  • Lucy Scott 2011/01/26 17:58:35
    Lucy
    Brian Williams of NBC who is an intelligent, charming man and James Carvell, who is a very funny former Clinton advisor?
  • Scott Lucy 2011/01/27 14:21:20
    Scott
    Big deal.
  • cativonduren 2011/01/23 02:09:11
    no
    cativonduren
    +1
    And I'd love to hear 'guten morgen' too for their greetings. But this can make some peeps go freak hahaha
  • Lucy cativon... 2011/01/23 02:29:58
    Lucy
    Yeah, that would be different. Actually I wouldn't mind a variety; some Swedes, Irish, Tahitian, Chilien etc.
  • cativon... Lucy 2011/01/23 10:45:03
    cativonduren
    +1
    Yep, some peeps love to associate anything German with Hitler and NAZI, as though there's nothing else but Hitler and NAZI for them. And they love to flirt on these past things to bully other people.

It sucks....oh well, sorry to bother you, this question just reminds me of my kinsman heritage burden which stamped on our foreheads forever and ever.
  • Lucy cativon... 2011/01/23 20:04:58
    Lucy
    You are never bothering me. That was a very good insight into some minds. My husband's parents came from Germany in 1932 and whenever I tell someone they are German, I feel that I have to quickly add.."they came over in 1932" to be let off the hook.
  • cativon... Lucy 2011/01/24 00:10:01 (edited)
    cativonduren
    When I was at my teens this thing really annoyed me. But now I'm used to it, and consider it as my daily dose so that I don't raise my pride too high hahaha ...
  • katywon cativon... 2011/02/17 18:48:14
    katywon
    My grandchild is German and lives there and that is her language. But she also has a mom who lived in the US for a long time and It's fine. I enjoy hearing all accents on TV in America. Especially in L.A. which has a lot of Spanish Speakers. I love the Spanish language and could get used to all the other cultures. The time of variety is here.
  • Lucy katywon 2011/05/08 21:00:34
    Lucy
    Yes, I would like a variety of accents rather than so much British.
  • seathanaich 2011/01/23 01:14:44
    no
    seathanaich
    The British are on average a bit better educated and on average far better speakers than the average North American, so they have an advantage as speakers over North Americans. Connection with a long heritage of good writers seems like the explanation for why this is so.

As a Canadian I appreciate the fact that Americans must learn to speak like a Canadian before they can be on US television, otherwise American television would be unwatchable. However, I have no problem listening to British accents on television.
  • Lucy seathan... 2011/01/23 02:34:53
    Lucy
    Yes, it is true. My friend, Carol, was from England. She left school at 15, but she was so smart and well-read. If Americans have to learn to speak with no accent-Canadian style-why can't the Brits do the same thing? No one does better acting on TV and movies than British, but I was just wondering why so many are on American TV. I was getting annoyed at the accent. I also get tired of too many Australian accents or southern accents. I think you are right-Canadian is nice.
  • seathan... Lucy 2011/01/23 03:20:17
    seathanaich
    +1
    Hi Lucy.

One of the men where my wife works was English. He was partially illiterate - his writing was atrocious (my wife re-did a lot of what he wrote). Yet you should have heard him speak. He spouted poetry, and was conversent with so much more history and culture than the average North American. I couldn't help but imagine how much more impressive he would be if he could write as well as he spoke. Even semi-literate, he was a more engaging and fluid speaker than most university educated North Americans.

British society is much more 'oral' than ours, more poetic, and in my opinion much wittier. You see that displayed even by the crowds at sporting events there. In their society, people sing in a way that we here do not. It was a real eye-opener for me when I lived there for a year.

"If Americans have to learn to speak with no accent-Canadian style-why can't the Brits do the same thing?"

There's no need to force them to change their accent, because British accents aren't perceived to be "ignorant" in the way a Texas drawl, a Brooklyn accent, or Black American rappers are. You're not hearing Cockney English, or rural Scottish accents on US television, you're hearing an accent called "Estuary", or very mild Irish or Scottish accents which are easily comprehensible to a ...

Hi Lucy.

There's no need to force them to change their accent, because British accents aren't perceived to be "ignorant" in the way a Texas drawl, a Brooklyn accent, or Black American rappers are. You're not hearing Cockney English, or rural Scottish accents on US television, you're hearing an accent called "Estuary", or very mild Irish or Scottish accents which are easily comprehensible to a North American accent. Anything more unusual people moderate if they want a career in broadcasting.

"I also get tired of too many Australian accents'

I can agree with you there. The way Australians pronounce the letter "o" in the word "no" sounds like "nee-ow". I'm not a fan of diphthonged vowels, which is why I don't like American accents, either.

"I think you are right-Canadian is nice."

For better or for worse, it's understandable to everyone in the English-speaking world. Critics could say it's "bland", I guess. I've heard the Canadian accent called "mid-Atlantic". It has evolved from an accent from the south-west of England which became widely used in the US west of the Appalachians as a common accent that different groups were all blending towards, and it migrated to Ontario with the United Empire Loyalists after your War of Independence: that's why many Americans share an accent with Canadians. Cheers.
  • wcpjams 2011/01/22 13:35:27
    no
    wcpjams
    +1
    I hadn't really thought of it until I just now. And you do have a point. And I'm sure it will get on my nerves too, if it continues.
  • Lucy wcpjams 2011/01/23 00:26:06
    Lucy
    +1
    Thank you. It just hit me the other night while watching CNN with A Cooper and his news person was so British. So then the whole Piers Morgan thing got to me. I thought, is there no other American to take L. King's place.
  • mrdog 2011/01/21 17:59:38
    no
    mrdog
    +1
    don't watch cnn.... bark
  • wtxwoman 2011/01/21 17:55:54
    yes
    wtxwoman
    +1
    I have been wondering that very thing, especially when they are talking about politics!
  • katywon wtxwoman 2011/02/24 18:28:02
    katywon
    Seathan ,that is my point. As for Americans needing to speak Canadian. That is funny. The reason we have so many Canadian actors is that they are so bland Ehhh? I guess I speak Estuary because I was born in U.S. and went to school in Scotland for awhile. My family spoke a variety of languages and I like that. I just resent jobs being taken from the U.S. because Americans think all British and Australians are exotic like pets. Many of the well known British Actors left school forever when they were 12 to 14 years old. But I have to admit their mid-Atlantic accents are pretty good. And they have good voices as all the males in my family had. A good memory for speech and the ability to mimic is what good actors need.
  • katywon wtxwoman 2011/05/12 17:08:33
    katywon
    +1
    Everyone has an opinion. They come here for the money. Take jobs from American actors . Live here in style but stay true to the U.K. We need to continue to listen to what other non-natives say . Sometimes they are right and sometimes wrong. If they are not American citizens then they should stay out of politics while they are here indulging themselves in good weather and luxury living.
  • Simon katywon 2012/02/14 10:49:01
    Simon
    +3
    I was about to post something constructive but couldn't be bothered because put simply your a tool. How can non-Americans stay out of politics when American politics for decades has been forced on the rest of the world. Taking jobs from American Actors? what your talking about is Hollywood in the 50's when when American actors were used to play non-American roles. Remember all those Native Americans in cowboy films who were Caucasians with fake tan. Don't get me started on American actors playing Asian roles. So thats what you want to go back to? do you think anyone would pay to watch that kind of entertainment? now I'm Irish and 31 and growing up the majority of watchable tv or film was predominately American followed by British. American's make up only a small fraction of the target market for American entertainment. So only American actors for American tv, I'm afraid you wouldn't have any tv or movies because who would would pay to watch it? nobody! well maybe yourself. "indulging themselves in good weather and luxury living" - see only a tool would make a ridiculous statement like that. In fact most of the above statements were made by complete tools. Now I'm going to leave this page before any stupidity rubs off on me. The reason I ended up on this page is because I'm a...
    I was about to post something constructive but couldn't be bothered because put simply your a tool. How can non-Americans stay out of politics when American politics for decades has been forced on the rest of the world. Taking jobs from American Actors? what your talking about is Hollywood in the 50's when when American actors were used to play non-American roles. Remember all those Native Americans in cowboy films who were Caucasians with fake tan. Don't get me started on American actors playing Asian roles. So thats what you want to go back to? do you think anyone would pay to watch that kind of entertainment? now I'm Irish and 31 and growing up the majority of watchable tv or film was predominately American followed by British. American's make up only a small fraction of the target market for American entertainment. So only American actors for American tv, I'm afraid you wouldn't have any tv or movies because who would would pay to watch it? nobody! well maybe yourself. "indulging themselves in good weather and luxury living" - see only a tool would make a ridiculous statement like that. In fact most of the above statements were made by complete tools. Now I'm going to leave this page before any stupidity rubs off on me. The reason I ended up on this page is because I'm at home in Ireland watching CNN wondering why are there are British newsreaders on CNN. Answer is because American Tv presenters are incredibly boring and false and turn the stomachs of most of the rest of the world. All they are is a perfect set of fake teeth and a plastic haircut with a suitable amount of airbrushing and no personality. But I'm glad Piers Morgan is on US television because it means he's further away from Irish television. Wait till you get a load of Jeremy Kyle! please keep him forever.
  • katywon Simon 2012/02/18 00:16:20
    katywon
    Where is Errol Flynn when you need him? I still think the Europeans and Australians and New Zealanders are taking American work. But thank you kindly for your words. Do you know any words to call people other than "tool", I think I will go back to Scotland where I can hear some new foul language.
  • robman6 Simon 2013/01/04 18:21:11
    robman6
    Thank you for demonstrating the exact pretentiousness that we Americans are sick of.

2014/10/01 12:22:29