Are You Still Planning to See 'Django Unchained' Amid Racism Claims?

The Big Question 2012/12/28 21:07:09

• syl 2013/01/03 17:07:40
    syl
    Foxx claiming he gets to kill lots of white folks is pretty disgusting. Why is it ok for them to say that?
  • Mantic 2012/12/31 12:23:26 (edited)
    Mantic
    Tarantino's more racist than Foxx, but never gets called on it since he plays it up as being some sort of ghetto-metro.

QT hasn't made many good movies. Reservoir Dogs was great, Pulp Fiction was structurally clever, and Jackie Brown was a decent but not spectacular genre film.The rest is bad.

Although I am a fan of the spaghetti western genre, or perhaps because I am, I am in no hurry to see Tarantino's 'tribute.' I fairly expect the film equivalent of his bar joke in Desperado, after all.
  • Todd Parsons 2012/12/31 00:19:47
  • TrudyGirl 2012/12/30 23:53:16
    TrudyGirl
    Probably not til it comes out on video..not because it is racist but because I save the theater money for things I can wait to see. Examples are Hunger Games, Cloud Atlas. It seems that it is a story of the south and there was serious racism..how else could it be made?
  • cfd007 2012/12/30 22:05:36
    cfd007
    Hell no!
  • schjaz 2012/12/30 19:34:54
    schjaz
    how is it suppose to be racist?
  • Maj. C. D. Hardy 2012/12/30 18:03:31
    Maj. C. D. Hardy
    I never planed on seeing it in the first place I don't like either of the main actors.
  • cc 2012/12/30 06:57:21
    cc
    Jaime Fox used to be impressive. Now?.....not so much
  • SIMPATTYCO 2012/12/30 04:15:16
    SIMPATTYCO
    I wasn't planning to see it ANYWAY!!!
  • EDWARD G 2012/12/30 03:12:08
    EDWARD G
    +2
    I find race based morality movies very tiresome and I wasn' t planning to see this anyway.
  • polkastria 2012/12/30 02:23:19
    polkastria
    But it's a rental later on for me.
  • joe keeney 2012/12/30 01:25:38
    joe keeney
    Hollyweird.
  • Tennessee3501 2012/12/30 00:55:19 (edited)
    Tennessee3501
    +1
    It is not my top priority, but I will see it eventually. I would urge everybody who has not seen "Lincoln" yet to see "Lincoln" ASAP. It is one of the best moviesI have seen in years. All students at all levels of education should be required to see it and receive credit for it. It is inspirational, educational and very accurate history!
  • Nat Turner 2012/12/30 00:37:09
    Nat Turner
    I'm going to see it on DVD that way if I don't like it I can turn it off.
  • Ava Alexander 2012/12/29 23:43:44
    Ava Alexander
    Not a Jamie Foxx fan, so I wasn't planning on seeing it anyway. I haven't seen any movie he has been in, except for that odious "Dream Girls", which I found tedious and a total waste of my time.
  • Lucy Krueger 2012/12/29 21:37:24
    Lucy Krueger
    Of course, it looks amazing, but I haven't had to the chance to see it yet.
  • clasact 2012/12/29 21:04:17
    clasact
    I dont care what other think ,I will see it and make up my own mind
  • bob h. 2012/12/29 20:58:37
    bob h.
    It's just a movie.
    My daughter and her friends saw it and said it was great. Who cares about the slurs, they're in cRap music and no one makes a big deal out of it.
  • Stacie none 2012/12/30 06:26:15 (edited)
    Stacie
    The racist remarks that have offended so many are not in the movie. They were in Jaime Foxx's opening speech on SNL.

Having racist remarks in a movie is almost expected in this day and age, and would not necessarily prevent me from seeing the movie.

However, Jaime Foxx's epilogue, contained his true racist opinions about "White People" and was vile and vulgar, and it sickened me when I saw it.

Can you imagine the back lash if a White comedian replaced the word white with black?

Racism comes in many forms and does not concern itself with just one race.
    *****************************...

JAMIE FOXX: My name is Jamie Foxx. Give it up, give it up, New York City, Saturday Night Live. Come on, make some noise, man. New York City, New York City, Brooklyn, Staten Island, Queens, it’s crazy. I'm black, and I’m dressed all black cause it's good to be black. Black is the new white. I’m telling you, how black is this right here? Nice fly, I’m saying. You know how I know black is in right now? Cause the Nets moved to Brooklyn. How black is that? They got black jerseys, black court. I mean, how black is that? And Jay-z is the owner, a rapper. How black is that? And Jay-z only own about this much of the team. But he act like he own all of New York. How black is that?

And I got a movie coming out, "...

*****************************...

And I got a movie coming out, "Django," check it out. Leonardo DiCaprio, Samuel L. Jackson. “Django Unchained” I play a slave. How black is that? And in the movie I had to wear chains. How whack is that? But don't be worried about it because I get out the chains, I get free, I save my wife, and I kill all the white people in the movie. How great is that? And how black is that?

But I'm going to tell you right now, speaking of blackness, my President, President Obama is back up in the White House four more years. How black is that? And not only that, he’s so black, he was playing basketball during the Election Day. How black is that? But he was also late for his acceptance speech. Okay, all the white people, this is your turn - how black is that?

But he going to be extra black this next four years. He going to get everything black, and white people, don't get nervous about that because he is mixed. Now the first four years was the white side of him, because I don't know if you saw him on Ellen when he was dancing and everything. I don't know what this is. That wasn't President Obama, that was President Barry Gibb Obama. But the next four years he's even changing his name from to President Barack Dikembe Mutombo Tupac Mandela Hussein Obama X. How black is that? And the next time you see him dancing on Ellen, he gonna be dancing like this.
    *****************************...

• NYCbrit 2012/12/29 19:51:31
    NYCbrit
    +1
    I would still see it regardless of what Spike Lee has to say. I wasn't planning on seeing it but I just might now.
  • Freeranger 2012/12/29 19:00:38
    Freeranger
    +4
    I hadn't planned to see it to begin with, but racism wouldn't distract me from seeing it if I felt like it. I believe it was Jaimie Foxx , I believe who'd stated just weeks prior, words to the effect how fun it would be to shoot white people. Please correct me if I have the wrong guy.
    Regardless, it would seem that the "Spiker" failed to press the commentary button on that racist comment (like I care).
    Ya gotta keep it all in perspective though, they're all a collection of phreakin' hypocrites.

Idiots.
  • Joey Freeranger 2012/12/29 21:31:10
    Joey
    Foxx was talking about the white people within the movie , you know the slave owners .
  • JT For ... Joey 2012/12/29 23:17:35
    JT For Political Reform
    Read some history. Blacks owned slaves too.
  • Joey JT For ... 2012/12/29 23:53:39
    Joey
    Most black people who owned slaved just technically own slaves since they had to buy their families back. And the amount of black people who just out right owned slaves were very small. Jewish people helped Hitler two , but when Jewish people are talking about how bad the Nazis are do you say Jewish people helped the Nazis ?
  • Elz 2012/12/29 18:39:26
    Elz
    +1
    i would like to see it to know if it's interesting or not.
  • zebsmom 2012/12/29 18:36:13
    zebsmom
    +1
    I actually had no desire to see it prior to all the furror. Now, I think I'd like to see it, just to see what all the fuss is about.
  • Kronan_1 2012/12/29 17:53:44
    Kronan_1
    +2
    I will wait until it his the $5 bin at Walmart and buy it. After seeing the different trailers for the movie ,I think the thin skinned babies have leapt too quickly about any racism. Jamie Foxx may be racist but ,aren't we all... I'm not gonna follow the sheep. It may be a good movie. Jamie Foxx's opinions or remarks don't bother me. He was just poking fun.
  • Ava Ale... Kronan_1 2012/12/29 23:46:23
    Ava Alexander
    +1
    You might be right about the knee jerk reaction, I was one of them, but I don't like (and that's putting it nicely) Jamie Foxx and I don't see anything that has him in it, so racist remarks aside, I wouldn't see it anyway.
  • Kronan_1 Ava Ale... 2012/12/29 23:50:54
    Kronan_1
    +1
    I thought he was alright in Jarhead , He had his own sit-com some years ago, but as yet I don't he's done anything worth bragging about lately.
  • Kurt 2012/12/29 16:09:45
    Kurt
    +1
    Hell no.
  • bettyboop 2012/12/29 15:37:55
    bettyboop
    +3
    Throughout history humans of all race and walks of life have been abused by other humans. Christians were slaves to the Romes, Indians were slaves to the settlers, Jews were slaves to the Nazi, people of color (black, brown and yellow) were slaves to whites. Was it right? Nope, but it happened and we, as the human race, need to never forget how far we have come and how far we still need to go.
  • User Deactivated 2012/12/29 15:34:21
    User Deactivated
    +4
    I never intended to see it.
  • Ava Ale... User De... 2012/12/29 23:46:42
    Ava Alexander
    +1
    Me, either.
  • Tamara McMillan 2012/12/29 15:25:05
    Tamara McMillan
    +1
    Isn't it suppose to be taking place long ago? Unfortunately slavery and racism were real and normal then. Movies are seldom Historically correct; they are entertainment. To call a movie showing slavery in the years past (decades and even centuries ago. . ) Racism might be stating the obvious but it is a part of the story. If it were a futuristic Sci-Fi with new age slavery maybe I would call it Racist because it would condone Slavery as ok. If a movie of the Past is racism then I guess any History program of any sort might well be too. Just plain silly.
  • Shylee 2012/12/29 15:19:59
    Shylee
    Im gona see what the fuss is about.

smiley popcorn gif
  • Kat ♪ ~ ♪ 2012/12/29 15:11:44
    Kat ♪ ~ ♪
    +5
    Didn't plan to anyways.
  • Rogue_L... Kat ♪ ~ ♪ 2012/12/29 15:14:13
  • Kat ♪ ~ ♪ Rogue_L... 2012/12/29 15:16:25
    Kat ♪ ~ ♪
    +1
    You do make it sound like fun... can we just slap them around and skip giving Foxx our money?
  • Rogue_L... Kat ♪ ~ ♪ 2012/12/29 15:22:44 (edited)

2014/12/19 01:35:23