Are you pushing your shopping cart past the Butterball turkeys?

L.A. Times 2012/11/14 17:00:00
A week before Thanksgiving, an animal advocacy group is accusing Butterball of abusing and neglecting turkeys at some of its facilities.

The activist group Mercy For Animals said an undercover investigation into several Butterball operations in North Carolina found evidence of cruelty and neglect. Hidden camera footage (warning: may be disturbing) shows turkeys being thrown and dragged by their wings and necks, kicked on the ground and with open sores.

butterball turkeys thanksgiving

Read More: http://www.latimes.com/business/money/la-fi-mo-but...

• Rave 2012/11/15 10:07:45
    Rave
    +12
    Well as a vegetarian the point is that I'm not really going to be buying meat from any large factory, precisely because I don't know how the animals were treated and I'm not going to put some abused/infected/chemically mutilated flesh into my body. You won't believe how much healthier I began to feel once I cut that out of my diet.

For those turkey-lovers, buy from farms, or from hunters. You're going to feel a lot better after your meal.

• flrdsgns 2012/11/24 02:00:14
    flrdsgns
    My friend is COO of MFA and I've seen so many of these abuse videos. The pig and poultry companies seem to be the biggest abusers.
    Very disturbing videos.
  • JustMe 2012/11/19 17:27:43
    JustMe
    I have two turkeys in my freezer, both are local store brand. I buy nearly all my meat from the meat department, because I know most of the local stores buy from local farmers. I have seen videos like these, not just from butterball, i've seen them from pork, beef and chickens as well. I also have two free range hens that keep me stocked with eggs, I just can't eat my pets and egg factories.

Photobucket
  • Flamingolady 2012/11/19 15:14:18
    Flamingolady
    +1
    Over the many years I have done Thanksgiving dinner, Butterball is always better. It does sadden me to hear of human beings treating animals with cruelty.
  • killernick~PWCM~JLA 2012/11/19 02:18:46
    killernick~PWCM~JLA
    +4
    Turkey is being eaten here !! PETA and friends can suck an egg

Animated Turkey
  • joe keeney 2012/11/19 00:43:30
    joe keeney
    +1
    About five miles they planned barley wild turkeys love it. And for the more liberal palate we got a lot of Turkey Vultures.
  • jc 2012/11/19 00:21:25
    jc
    +1
    I raise my own.Grain feed,free range Heritage turkeys.We'll be slaughtering them a week from Wednesday.And in the spring I'll purchase two more chicks.Delicious.
  • Sgt Major B 2012/11/18 23:10:06
    Sgt Major B
    +5
    I'll be enjoying whatever turkey I can get at the best price. If it's a 'Butterball', so be it.
  • evangelism_vision 2012/11/18 22:45:54
    evangelism_vision
    +4
    I am stocking up the Freezer with them for that coming Great Depression that Obama will cause. And stocking up on Peanut butter too, not to mention filling the pantry and lots of arrowhead Bottles of water that are good for 5 years for Emergency.

Oh Can't forget the TP!
  • lonewolf evangel... 2012/11/18 23:09:43
    lonewolf
    +1
    i hear that i'm stocked up and ready
  • evangel... lonewolf 2012/11/18 23:13:26 (edited)
    evangelism_vision
    +4
    Working on getting a Earthen Oven made in the back so that If i loose power, I can still cook

working earthen oven loose power cook

working earthen oven loose power cook
  • lonewolf evangel... 2012/11/18 23:50:12
    lonewolf
    +1
    that would do. so many will not be ready.
  • evangel... evangel... 2012/11/18 23:54:21
    evangelism_vision
    +1
    *********************** MAYBE SOMEONE CAN HELP ME HERE *****************

As you know, when the power goes out so too does the frig. I want to make an Ice Box House in the back yard and I know that back in the 1800's there was a way to keep food cold then they had one in the back of the house, those who could afford it anyway.....

Have been looking for plans on building one. ANYONE HAVE ONE?
  • TooSweet evangel... 2012/11/19 02:42:21
    TooSweet
    +1
    It is simple,just buy one of these igloo cooler
  • evangel... TooSweet 2012/11/20 02:35:19
    evangelism_vision
    +1
    No I want something Much Bigger. But if you don't have anything else that woks too but with those the ice will melt sooner or later.
  • TooSweet evangel... 2012/11/20 12:04:07
    TooSweet
    +1
    Igloo cooler house
    Big enough?
  • evangel... TooSweet 2012/11/20 17:30:16
    evangelism_vision
    +1
    I like that! But I was thinking about a Ice House, can even be the size of a small room, I want to build in my back yard that you can put in blocks of Ice and it always stays cold, with a door but keeps the cold in so that if the power ever goes out, you can transfer the food in the frig to that,

I know this seems a little extreme but if we ever have an EMP Attack, we all go back to the 1800's and there will not be any electric power and cars, buses won't run either.

But I like that! That was clever
  • TooSweet evangel... 2012/11/20 17:49:13
    TooSweet
    +1
    If there is no power,how do you plan on making ice?
  • evangel... TooSweet 2012/11/20 18:02:00
    evangelism_vision
    No you buy block Ice and fill the little room, the cold air circulates and keeps it cold.
    But the room would have to be air tight, in the olden days, My grandma told me they built the small room like a small log cabin house, and filled the space between the logs with mud and /clay and when the sun backed, it hardened and the room would stay cold all year long even in the summer.

Ahhhhhhhhhhh That is what I really want to do
  • Margare... evangel... 2012/11/19 11:54:11
    Margaret Jacobson
    I read something about farmers cutting blocs of ice and putting the inside of some kind of dark cavelike structure in a hillside . I think I found it on either bing or google site ??
  • boo63 2012/11/18 22:34:12
    boo63
    only because I prefer honeysuckle white
  • Dolly 2012/11/18 22:28:07
    Dolly
    I think I'll have shrimp Chow Mein instead if my boyfriend can't make me dinner on that day.
  • Torchy 2012/11/18 17:29:45
    Torchy
    +1
    It's a simple fact that being cruel to the product while it's alive results in a substandard product on the shelves. So, Butterball turkeys are probably going to taste like crap. It's not all that difficult to take care of a turkey/chicken kindly -- they're stupid animals that don't need much space to begin with; you don't even have to try. I like my meat to be tasty, so Butterball can pretty much kiss my pasty rump until they stop going out of their way to mistreat their product.
  • Jana ♥ ♥ ♥ 2012/11/18 14:23:51
    Jana ♥ ♥ ♥
    +2
    It's absolutely disgusting how those turkeys are being treated.I hope these people will be punished.And as for Butterball they need to clean up there act.
  • flrdsgns Jana ♥ ♥ ♥ 2012/11/24 02:03:47
  • knothead 2012/11/18 14:13:40
    knothead
    +2
    I dont think a thing about the crap that PETA and other whacko groups put out. You can make the case that any or all companies do some abuse...some true MOST not. TURKEY FOR THANKSGIVING.....
  • Ysggirb 2012/11/18 14:07:25
    Ysggirb
    +3
    Tofurky …providing a Thanksgiving for humans and turkeys since 1995.

Now as always ...free range.
  • S* Ysggirb 2012/11/18 16:18:03
    S*
    +2
    Have wonderful Tofugiving Day.
  • Ysggirb S* 2012/11/19 01:04:15 (edited)
    Ysggirb
    +3
    And same to you.

You know, at one time, the mighty soya bean was well positioned to take over the world. Then Monsanto got hold of them and dumbed them down. Now they're just useful (but tasty) idiots.

Happy Food Day!
  • cinbadl Ysggirb 2012/11/19 17:58:27
  • Ysggirb cinbadl 2012/11/20 00:59:28
    Ysggirb
    +1
    I’ll be the first to admit, neither of those look very appetising. Then again, neither is a Tofurky. A Tofurky looks like a turkey breast (without the nipple). You bake it in foil with vegetables (whatever you like), and about 45 minutes before you take it out of the oven, you open the foil so it browns. It’s quite good, really. Serve it with a salad, bread, and a nice bottle of wine …brilliant.

Now here’s my thinking on vegetarianism: it’s complete BS. The real problem with animals is not their deaths (provided the slaughter is handled humanely, which is clearly NOT the case with some of the Butterball farms); it’s the conditions under which they’re forced to live that are problematic. That’s no better for egg-laying chickens or dairy cows. In fact, you could argue the opposite: an animal raised to become meat has a limited time of suffering. It’s similar to human torture: the individual being tortured doesn’t fear death, he welcomes it. Therefore, if you’ve modified your diet for humanitarian reasons, vegan is the only way to go.

That said, it would be far better if I bought and ate organic free-range meats and animal products, because then I'd be supporting a reasonable and humane standard. (People will always eat meat and use animal products.) Problem is, I simpl...

That said, it would be far better if I bought and ate organic free-range meats and animal products, because then I'd be supporting a reasonable and humane standard. (People will always eat meat and use animal products.) Problem is, I simply can’t do it. I’ve been vegan since I was a teenager. I’ve only eaten meat once since (inadvertently), and it wasn’t just meat, it was the worst of the worst …veal. Spent the night puking.

To each his own. Eat your turkey, but try to buy from local organic farms if you can. Most big towns have shops that sell locally grown fruits, vegetables, and meats. Organic farmers are fascinating people, and most of them struggle to get by. I’m sure those in your area would appreciate your support. Check for a natural food co-operative (co-op) near your town.

To be perfectly honest, I’d be happy with a good cup of organic fairly-traded coffee and a vegan cinnamon bun. The day’s really about friends and family.

Happy Thanksgiving!

ps: Veganism is a healthy lifestyle, and tofu doesn’t really bite.
  • cinbadl Ysggirb 2012/11/20 16:37:59 (edited)
  • Ysggirb cinbadl 2012/11/21 02:56:05 (edited)
  • cinbadl Ysggirb 2012/11/21 03:31:55 (edited)
  • Ysggirb cinbadl 2012/11/21 03:49:51
    Ysggirb
    +1
    What was that you did earlier? Don't tell me you weren't having a go at my lifestyle: no such thing as a vegan, tofu sucks, smug, etc. I didn't insult you in my first post …not in the least. I was extremely respectful.

But if you want to call my concern for healthy food and humane treatment of animals a 'liberal rant', I'll wear that with pride. You're just lucky I'm not asking you to prove me wrong. Facts are facts.

You must like getting angry. You shouldn't do that ...you'll pop a cog.

Tschüss!
  • cinbadl Ysggirb 2012/11/23 21:17:02
  • Ysggirb cinbadl 2012/11/24 04:12:10
    Ysggirb
    +1
    smug, schmug
  • cinbadl Ysggirb 2012/11/23 21:18:22
  • Ysggirb cinbadl 2012/11/24 04:11:28
    Ysggirb
    +1
    Well, firstly …let’s establish facts: the comment you’re referencing was not made to you. Fact check me if you’d like.

Zebacku posted a somewhat humourous graphic implying disgust over the thought of eating tofu. This is a very nice example of irony (if you know what that is), which always strikes me as being funny. Eating tofu isn’t much different from eating a green bean, except that it’s been processed differently. It’s vegetable. The ironic bit is that some meat eaters really do become ill at the thought of eating it, yet they’ll very happily eat the flesh of dead animal. In purely objective terms, the dead animal should cause much more dismay than a bean would do.

My comment to zebacku wasn’t an attack. If you look at the other comments (above), I was simply being silly. I was in a rather jolly mood. It didn’t dawn on me to not be until you got your knickers in a twist. My comment to you that tofu doesn’t bite was made in the same spirit. There was absolutely nothing mean-spirited in my initial post to you.

So sod off and take your anger out on somebody else. I’m not deserving of it and I’m not interested.

Right …my work here is done.

Well, nearly:
    For future reference, ‘gianormous’ is properly spelt ‘ginormous’. There’s no A sound in the pronunciation.
  • cinbadl Ysggirb 2012/11/24 15:39:30
  • Ysggirb cinbadl 2012/11/24 23:35:48 (edited)
    Ysggirb
    +1
    OMG!

giant + enormous = gi-normous = ginormous.

Edit:
    Happy to see this advancement for OMG …no longer being relegated to the vocabulary lists of 13-year-old girls. I reckon it deserves a hearty congratulations. I’m certain it applauds your support ...obviously.

2014/04/16 20:28:04