Are You Interested In a Posthumous Aaliyah Album?

Music 2012/08/04 17:40:19
It has been over ten years since the entertainment business lost a talented young recording artist and actress in Aaliyah Haughton (stage name Aaliyah) in a tragic plane crash. Even though she was only 22 years old at the time of her death, she left a major mark in the entertainment industry, arguably when she really started to peak. According to a report by HipHopDX.com, one major artist looks to keep her legacy alive with a new album.

Top recording artist Drake is rumored to be producing a posthumous Aaliyah album, although the rapper/singer has yet to confirm or deny the report. Drake is reportedly working mostly on the production side (i.e. instrumentals, beats, creative direction). It is expected that he will also release a new single that features Aaliyah (most likely sampled from her past tracks or unreleased material).

In the past, Drake has sampled Aaliyah's classic "At Your Best (You Are Love)" in his single "Unforgettable" and even has a tattoo in tribute to the late singer. To say Drake is an Aaliyah fan is an understatement. But in the past, Aaliyah's closest friends and producers in Timbaland and Missy Elliot said they firmly believe any posthumous work wouldn't be released without their approval. It is unknown whether Drake has reached out to the duo most synonymous with Aaliyah's career as of press time. If the project sees the light of day, it would be the first posthumous Aaliyh album since 2002 and second overall.

Read More: http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/music/posts/l...

• BehindTheseEyes 2012/08/04 20:20:30 (edited)
    BehindTheseEyes
    +7
    Aaliyah was an amazing artist. Her death was a real tragedy. I would be interested in buying a posthumous album of hers, her music was amazing. I still listen to many of her songs.

• The heartless 2012/08/05 12:41:27
    The heartless
    +1
    No...Even though it's sad that she died, i wasn't a fan of her music. I think the lady should R.I.P and just be remembered for the music she made and the person she was.
  • Tiah 2012/08/05 11:48:19
    Tiah
    I don't know who she is so probably not
  • Jackal 2012/08/05 11:02:12
    Jackal
    +1
    Aaliyah was my number one celebrity crush.

When she died, people were afraid to tell me the news in fear of my reaction. Dude... I was crushed. They tried to withhold that information about her death so they could let me down easy... I have never cried over a celebrity death, but Aaliyah's was the only one.

When I mean celebrity crush, I was madly in love with this girl. She was my ideal perfect woman.
  • Anarchico Anthony 2012/08/05 10:33:43
    Anarchico Anthony
    +4
    If its her material then yes! She was extremely talented, a 100x better than they play on the radio today.
  • David (oYo) 2012/08/05 08:57:25
  • Jackal David (... 2012/08/05 11:22:05 (edited)
    Jackal
    She is a talented R&B; Artist who died in a Plane Crash in the Bahamas almost10-12 years ago.

She played in "Romeo must Die" and "Queen of the Damned."

Aaliyah Queen of the Damned

Aaliyah Queen of the Damned

Aaliyah Romeo Must Die

Aaliyah Romeo Must Die

Also she was my idea of the most beautiful woman, and I had a huge celebrity crush on her.
  • David (... Jackal 2012/08/05 17:36:31
  • SuperCee Jackal 2012/08/06 15:06:53
    SuperCee
    Let's not forget she was R.Kelly's first wife...he discovered her!
  • Jackal SuperCee 2012/08/06 21:49:40
    Jackal
    Who got married at the age of 16...
  • SuperCee Jackal 2012/08/07 12:53:04
    SuperCee
    +1
    Aaliyah....she was married to R.Kelly when she was 15 or 16....her parents quickly had that annuled because of her age and R.Kelly discovered her...she was a very beautiful girl....and we know R.Kelly likes them young....I met her when she was doing her video for Rock the Boat and she was a very down to earth person and sweet as can be....
  • Jackal SuperCee 2012/08/07 13:10:34
    Jackal
    +1
    She was the only celebrity I wanted to meet.
  • SuperCee Jackal 2012/08/07 14:44:26
    SuperCee
    +1
    You would have loved her too!
  • ily.sav... David (... 2012/08/05 18:23:25
    ily.savages
    +1
    If you font know who she is then don't vote that's just stupid -_-
  • David (... ily.sav... 2012/08/05 19:46:32
  • Vieuphoria 2012/08/05 08:45:15
    Vieuphoria
    As long as it is an album. Not just a few out-takes, rarities, and b-sides.
  • Krystle 2012/08/05 08:38:27
    Krystle
    No. I love her classics. I love her music, I do not need her coming out with a ghost album like Tupac or Notorious B.I.G
  • JERSEYDUDE 2012/08/05 08:04:20 (edited)
    JERSEYDUDE
    +2
    i wish she was still here

• C-ZAR™,... JERSEYDUDE 2012/08/05 13:42:34
    C-ZAR™, Emperor of the PHÆT
    +1
    What??!--YOU like somebody BLACK?--I don't believe it!
  • JERSEYDUDE C-ZAR™,... 2012/08/05 19:44:23
    JERSEYDUDE
    +1
    oh thats right because i think many black people only favor their own kind i must hate all black people and be racist.......get a fkin clue! peace out bro!
  • C-ZAR™,... JERSEYDUDE 2012/08/05 21:01:53
    C-ZAR™, Emperor of the PHÆT
    +1
    You are and you do
  • JERSEYDUDE C-ZAR™,... 2012/08/06 01:15:01
    JERSEYDUDE
    well obviously youre incorrect and my stupid little insignificant comment on sodahead proves that
  • Beat Magnum True Hero 2012/08/05 07:54:02
    Beat Magnum True Hero
    +1
    Posthumous albums are usually the "B-sides" and reject tracks deemed unworthy of an actual album. Sometimes, you get lucky and find a few gems in there...
  • salvatore.bua 2012/08/05 07:45:03
  • TheTruth1313 2012/08/05 07:42:21
    TheTruth1313
    Who?
  • Lady Aiyanna 2012/08/05 07:13:15 (edited)
    Lady Aiyanna
    +1
    Liked some of the messages of her songs and she had a great voice. I was in the UK when she died in an air crash and was flying about two or three days later. I can tell you, to this day, I am scared of flying because of this but never ever tell people that, lest it scares the hell out of them.

Went through flying during the 9/11 and soon after this and it left a lasting impression. Like her music, she did a video Rock the Boat in the Bahamas and died in the plane crash as it was taking off.

Would be great to see what she has hidden in her Copywright Protected vault that makes them want to say they can make a posthumous album. Artist always record more than what you get on an album but only the best get listed on the album to help boost the sales and images based on the trend of the time.

They will have to digitally remaster the sound to be able to get it viable for the current day and age and this would mean a lot of digital voice enhancement to dub a posthumous artist. Its hard as the acoustics have to blend in with the voice to get the perfection like the original artist rendition as there are no second takes. This may also mean they would have to get a similar artist with similar intonation to make the voice that would help in the digital enhancement. Its not impossible, ...

They will have to digitally remaster the sound to be able to get it viable for the current day and age and this would mean a lot of digital voice enhancement to dub a posthumous artist. Its hard as the acoustics have to blend in with the voice to get the perfection like the original artist rendition as there are no second takes. This may also mean they would have to get a similar artist with similar intonation to make the voice that would help in the digital enhancement. Its not impossible, but something that would need lawyers to give authority to do this, especially if she has left things to go into an estate after death. It all boils down to the Will. So the lawyers have to now decide this, so until then, it is a deadlock, there can be no album if they don't approve of the voice over artist to create the illusion of the artist.

This means they have to check through the layers of the song making to be able to get the exact blend, not an overnight thing, it takes days, months and sometimes even years depending on the technology that is used.
  • Corsair 2012/08/05 06:56:55
    Corsair
    There were a lot of good RnB singers when I was growing up in the 90's. Aaliyah's voice was the first I fell in love with. Everytime I hear her voice I can see her. She had a beautiful voice. I can't wait for her album to come out.
  • Haley 2012/08/05 06:10:54
    Haley
    She was so talented. I'd love to hear any of her work that hasn't been released yet.
  • Maat56 2012/08/05 04:40:40
    Maat56
    +1
    It's sad so many of the record industry artist die and their music, is worth more thst they are gone... Shame...
  • Beat Ma... Maat56 2012/08/05 07:55:47
    Beat Magnum True Hero
    But in many ways, that's what the artist ultimately hopes for, that their work is timeless.
  • jmg1988 2012/08/05 03:59:05
    jmg1988
    No idea who she is.
  • Beat Ma... jmg1988 2012/08/05 07:56:18
    Beat Magnum True Hero
    Pretty big in the early to mid 90s...
  • jmg1988 Beat Ma... 2012/08/06 00:41:49
    jmg1988
    Considering those were my childhood years it's not that surprising then.
  • coles 2012/08/05 03:54:16
    coles
    Bring it on
  • luke 2012/08/05 03:53:30
    luke
    +1
    I give it ten minutes after release before some dumbass makes an "Aaliyah's not dead" facebook page.

/obvioustupacreference/
  • AvaC 2012/08/05 03:49:55
    AvaC
    +1
    Don't get me wrong. I really enjoyed her music when she was alive but somehow I think Drake just wants to cash in with this album. Why is he suddenly interested in making this album with Aaliyah's music which may ''most likely sampled from her past tracks or unreleased material'' after she's been dead for over ten years?

It's a shame she died so young because she had so much more to offer. Let her rest in peace!

Aaliyah
  • Mantic AvaC 2012/08/05 03:53:34
    Mantic
    Dude's got a tat of her. Seems like a personal obsession.
  • AvaC Mantic 2012/08/05 04:05:03
    AvaC
    Possibly but I find it fishy that he's suddenly interested in doing this album.
  • Aquaduck AvaC 2012/08/05 04:45:37
    Aquaduck
    Drake has always been a fan of Aaliyah. In his debut with Young Money in "Bedrock", he quotes her: "I gotta watch my back, 'cause I'm not just anybody", which is a line from "Are you that somebody" by Aaliyah. Over the years he's sampled, quoted & made references to her, which shows how much love and respect he has for her. Now that he's an established artist it's safe for him to make a posthumous album for her.
  • AvaC Aquaduck 2012/08/05 04:55:56
    AvaC
    Fair enough. I just never liked the idea of artists sampling other people's music. I just much prefer to listen to the legacy she left behind than have another artist record an album with more of her past tracks, as well as unreleased material.
  • Gary De... AvaC 2012/08/05 18:48:09
    Gary Devon Linger
    +1
    There is a lot of good music that artist do that never makes the radio airwaves for whatever reason. There could be a real treasure trove of good stuff that deserves to be heard. The chance that she could have a hit album from previously unreleased material is too good to pass up imo. I would love for her to live on through more than just the stuff we already know about. Besides the crap they pass off for R&B and Hip Hop these days makes me long for her posthumous return. The only thing I am concerned about is how her previous material will be messed up by trying to bring it up to today's so called standards.

2014/07/24 13:12:51