Are Performance-Enhancing Drugs a Serious Issue in Sports?

Sports 2012/04/05 19:00:00
Performance-enhancing drugs have been a dominant topic of conversation in the 2000s. Ever since the revelations of some of baseball's greats using steroids and other "PEDs," it seems like every year a big-name athlete is caught -- or accused. This is the case with No. 1 UFC heavyweight contender, "The Demolition Man" Alistair Overeem, most famous for retiring former champion and current WWE superstar Brock Lesnar.

For years, there was speculation that Overeem was using PEDs, given his rapid muscle gain -- much like Barry Bonds in baseball. On Wednesday, it was revealed Overeem failed a random drug test for abnormal testosterone levels, confirming many observers' suspicions regarding his chemically-enhanced physique. If you rewind to a few months back, National League MVP Ryan Braun of Major League Baseball apparently failed a drug test.

Somehow, someway, Braun avoided suspension due to a technicality and a good defense in his appeal. However, the dark cloud of his alleged PED use still hangs above him. In mixed martial arts and boxing, testing is done by government commissions. In baseball, football, and basketball, it's done by the professional leagues. Is it time that all sports on the pro level adopt stronger drug testing like the Olympics or is the issue of PEDs overblown?

• Gary Neal 2012/06/22 15:42:04
  • LarryStylinson 2012/04/17 23:07:14
    LarryStylinson
    People in the UFC use steriods! Wow I never would thought that....
  • Bob 2012/04/12 05:37:01
    Bob
    First thing they can be deadly if used in excess etc and it's cheating.
  • rknothead 2012/04/10 04:14:54
    rknothead
    true sports professionals enhance themselves with their inner drive and honed ability...not with drugs.
  • Guido 2012/04/09 11:15:25
    Guido
    The only thing serious about these drugs is that they make the game seriously better.
  • ZERO 2012/04/07 08:54:54
    ZERO
  • Nathan 2012/04/06 21:02:23
    Nathan
    I really don't care much about sports, but I love to watch SBK or motocross on speed. I think they should just stop testing and have a more open and free environment. Who cares if someone is all juiced up? The fans will know and that person's record will be tainted. Shaming people is a lot more effective than forcing someone to behave a certain way. I don't watch those types of sports, but I can understand they are under immense and complex pressures to perform consistently. I think some people just care too much about sports. I would wager the team owners, or whoever runs the joint, pressure the players, and then when they get caught leave them to hang.

I would say this problem is analogous to drug prohibition in society. We all know what rose out of alcohol prohibition, the freakin' Mafia! lol You can't force people to act a certain way, as there will always be people who use drugs for any number of reasons. I just think an open and honest approach to this issue, without mandatory testing, will allow it to play out. If an entire team was free to decide what each individual did, I would bet 9 times out of 10 they wouldn't use extra testosterone or whatever. It's a tough and complex issue, with many motivations behind the use of such drugs, but I don't think for...

I would say this problem is analogous to drug prohibition in society. We all know what rose out of alcohol prohibition, the freakin' Mafia! lol You can't force people to act a certain way, as there will always be people who use drugs for any number of reasons. I just think an open and honest approach to this issue, without mandatory testing, will allow it to play out. If an entire team was free to decide what each individual did, I would bet 9 times out of 10 they wouldn't use extra testosterone or whatever. It's a tough and complex issue, with many motivations behind the use of such drugs, but I don't think forcing people to adhere to a certain law for drug testing will ever solve the problem. Don't forget there are many other substances besides hormones that provide significant athletic gains, like creatine or even some herbs/plants. Is the line drawn only for test or synthetic test and no other substances? How "clean" should these guys be?
  • Opinionated-Conservative 2012/04/06 19:56:18
    Opinionated-Conservative
    PED's take away knowing that the athlete achieved what they did from pure talent. If I were an athlete and wanted to be known as the best I would definitely NOT use PED's.
  • That1Guy 2012/04/06 19:08:18
    That1Guy
    It ruins athlete's reputations and loses them fans, it also destroys the body. Good news for Frank Mir though.
  • HotPuhtaytuhs 2012/04/06 18:59:48
    HotPuhtaytuhs
    If you seriously injure an opponent yes, otherwise no.
  • Opinion... HotPuht... 2012/04/06 19:57:10
    Opinionated-Conservative
    +2
    Cheating is cheating, no matter how you look at it.
  • redneck 2012/04/06 17:34:33
    redneck
    It's cheating,you also cheat yourself as well.Because the drugs will break your body down as well as build you up.
  • Cordingly 2012/04/06 16:58:49
    Cordingly
    Everyone here seems to be jumping at steroids, which in fact aren't the only way athletes can enhance their performance. They don't make you the incredible Hulk, they just give you allow you to work out more then if you weren't to use them.

If people are upset at athletes taking steroid then they should be just as mad at students who take drugs to help them focus in school.
  • Opinion... Cordingly 2012/04/06 19:59:27
    Opinionated-Conservative
    +2
    Drugs to help you focus in school dont have a massive negative effect on your body like Steroids and some other PED's do on athletes. There is no comparison to the two.
  • Cordingly Opinion... 2012/04/06 20:32:46
    Cordingly
    I don't think you understand all of what steroids do.

Granted, I don't either.
  • Opinion... Cordingly 2012/04/06 20:38:25
    Opinionated-Conservative
    +3
    I am sure that the term "roid rage" did't come from good side effects. I have heard testimonials from people that after stopping using steroids they suffered negative effects on their bodies, and that long term use does damage to the muscles.
  • Superman 2012/04/06 16:26:47
    Superman
    +1
    Its massively overblown, especially by the athletes that use them.

My problem is with the concern people have over the affect on the NUMBERS in the game and not the health concerns. People seem more concerned with the possibility that a guy may hit a few more home runs or run a little too fast rather than what the chemicals do to the body and what someone on PEDS could do to someone else in a contact sport.

For example, the biggest handwringing on the topic is done in baseball where the issue always centers around McGwire and Barry Bonds and their records. Thats always the focus. McGwire has been kept out of the HOF first because of pure speculation rather than direct evidence on the issue and now because he has been honest about it. His numbers haven't been revoked and we don't know the actual affect that PED use has on those numbers - but still thats the big concern.

Meanwhile in a contact sport like football - with a plethora of highly bulked up guys hitting each other on a routine basis - PEDs are hardly ever mentioned. Concussions are a HUGE issue in the sport right now but I have yet to here one person discuss the effect PEDs may have on the topic. And further, people who have failed PED test in the NFL are rarely taken over the coals and one player was even abl...

Meanwhile in a contact sport like football - with a plethora of highly bulked up guys hitting each other on a routine basis - PEDs are hardly ever mentioned. Concussions are a HUGE issue in the sport right now but I have yet to here one person discuss the effect PEDs may have on the topic. And further, people who have failed PED test in the NFL are rarely taken over the coals and one player was even able to keep a player of the year award despite a positive test.

People, the reason these things are banned is because they aren't healthy for the athlete. They have a long term destructive effect on the body and its considered cheating because no player should feel they have to use them and risk those effects to "keep up". There are a slew of other performance enhancing products, techniques, equipment innovations that are perfectly legal and that likely have a greater direct effect on the numbers we worry about. If PEDs weren't destructive its highly likely that they'd be legal and this wouldn't be an issue at all.

My suggestion is always that instead of going on attack mode, we need to create an honest invironment about this. STOP worrying about numbers, especially when we don't know what effect they have. STOP playing attack dog. START discussing this in an open and friendly human environment where we can get past users to come forward to discuss their experiences to try and stop people from using them. And start worrying more about the health issues and across more than one sport. Take a long hard look at the NFL where a jakked up linebacker hitting a WR is much more important an issue than if a 2nd baseman got a couple extra dingers. So many people use this as a tear down issue rather than a rally point for health and it makes me ill.
  • TasselLady 2012/04/06 15:55:13
    TasselLady
    +1
    And very dangerous.
    warning steroid use
  • merpelyn 2012/04/06 15:44:45
    merpelyn
    +1
    To me taking performance-enhancing drugs is on the same level as cheating in a game. Needs to be the player 100%
  • Cordingly merpelyn 2012/04/06 16:56:33
    Cordingly
    +1
    I think part of the problem is what qualifies as an illegal performance enhancer and what doesn't, because steroids aren't the only thing you can take out there.
  • Abi 2012/04/06 15:37:55
    Abi
    They need to learn how to earn things not just take drugs and someday all of those drugs will turn on you
  • Calm down! 2012/04/06 15:35:17 (edited)
    Calm down!
    It's flat out cheating! It's just like cheating at gambling! It's not fair to the people playing any sport that are working hard the regular natural way and they have to compete with these freaky looking huge, steriod taking, mutant freaks! It's cheating!
  • Wayne TH G 333 2012/04/06 15:22:47
    Wayne TH G 333
    It would be interesting if they had a take whatever you like olympics for all the banned athletes, just to see what times they could clock!
  • CAPISCE 2012/04/06 14:18:20
    CAPISCE
    Men flexing in the mirror is Gay.
  • Jan Nel 2012/04/06 14:10:27
    Jan Nel
    Well now, taking enhancement drugs is like putting aerogas in your auto, you're gonna go hell fast then hit the wall, cos brakes ain't gonna help!!
  • Honeybuns 2012/04/06 14:05:50
    Honeybuns
    Yes some men are taking to many steroids.To become stronger. When they should just do it the natural way.By just working out and going to the gym.
  • hat man Honeybuns 2012/04/06 15:06:32
    hat man
    +1
    Steroids don't build muscle. They allow people to train for longer and make it so their muscles take less time to repair. You still have to work hard, harder is most cases; it is just that they allow you to train for longer than normal.
  • Honeybuns hat man 2012/04/06 15:24:02 (edited)
    Honeybuns
    Oh ok thanks i did not know that much about steroids. Have you ever been on steroids?.
  • hat man Honeybuns 2012/04/06 16:04:58
  • Honeybuns hat man 2012/04/07 17:36:25
    Honeybuns
    lol oh i was just asking because you know a lot about steroids.
  • Anna Honeybuns 2012/04/06 15:39:18
    Anna
    Correct on steroids.
  • Honeybuns Anna 2012/04/06 15:41:20 (edited)
    Honeybuns
    Oh i will change that.Thanks for the correction.
  • Anna Honeybuns 2012/04/06 15:49:07
    Anna
    There's nothing to 'correct.' I'm just saying you're truthful/correct on steroids from this paragraph you wrote: "Yes some men are taking to many steroids.To become stronger." 'When they should just do it the natural way.By just working out and going to the gym.'
  • Honeybuns Anna 2012/04/06 15:50:11
    Honeybuns
    +1
    Ok yeah i really thought that over before i type it.
  • ScoutLdr 2012/04/06 13:25:01
    ScoutLdr
    Yes, using Performance-enhancing drugs is cheating.
  • Anna ScoutLdr 2012/04/06 15:41:40
    Anna
    +1
    Why cheating?? If the proteins we're eating aren't 'isolated', that's good.
  • ScoutLdr Anna 2012/04/08 01:16:59
    ScoutLdr
    Because if only a few all doing it, gives those who are an unfair advantage.
  • Anna ScoutLdr 2012/04/08 04:37:28
    Anna
    Uhmmmm, what??
  • ScoutLdr Anna 2012/04/08 06:27:16
    ScoutLdr
    If the rules of your sport ban the use of PED's and you do it anyway then your a cheater, understand?
  • Anna ScoutLdr 2012/04/08 15:32:27
    Anna
    +1
    Yeah. I get the idea. PED's though.....Don't know about them.

2014/10/24 07:11:58