Are Girl Gamers Underestimated?

Gaming 2012/06/19 13:00:00
E3 wrapped up last weekend, and it wasn't long before actress and Ubisoft host Aisha Taylor was inundated with hate mail accusing her of not being a real gamer. She fired back on Facebook, arguing that she has been a gamer all her life, and could probably beat a lot of the offending guys on Halo. This week, Kotaku writer Katie Williams expressed similar frustrations with her time at E3.

In an opinion article titled "So What If I'm A Woman? Let Me Play The Damn Game," Williams recalls how she was "guided towards the Facebook games," and walked through the simplest first-person shooter mechanics as if she couldn't possibly have a clue how to work them. She calls the experience a "hurtful underestimation of my capabilities, both as a journalist and as a gamer." Do you think girl gamers are underestimated, or did Taylor and Williams just have some bad experiences?

• venus 2012/06/21 01:13:40 (edited)
    venus
    +1
    got to say its because of the stereotype thinking that pretty girls don't game and not to mention theirs alot of airheads girls to prove they aren't good at anything except off looking pretty .
  • robbt1 2012/06/20 22:05:57
    robbt1
    The thing is that Aisha Taylor is GORGEOUS. And many gamers have learned throughout their lives that pretty girls don't game. It's a stereotype... but it's a stereotype for a reason. An attractive female who plays videogames is about as common as a polkadotted unicorn.
  • Noobcake robbt1 2012/06/22 11:55:53 (edited)
    Noobcake
    But that's just the thing. Females in western societies (and others) are taught to care deeply about whether they are pretty enough, and as a female it hurts when I am assumed to be ugly - and told this - by people I want to see as my peers, people who really have no idea what I look like, just because of one of my hobbies. There is no correlation between gaming and ugliness for either sex! There are considerably less girls who play video games than guys and so there are even less who you would call conventionally attractive, but the ratio of attractive female gamers to less attractive female gamers is most likely equal to the ratio of attractive male gamers to less attractive male gamers.

Also, you didn't make any point about this but I'll say it here anyway - hiding the fact that you're a girl - as a means to avoid abuse - is not always easy. I, for instance, don't even play co-op online games because I'm not into shooters, but I used to play mmos and I participate in gaming forums; I've never gone out of my way to let anyone know I was a girl and yet somehow it does come up on occasion. If any guy doubts let them try to pretend to be a girl for the entirety of their gaming life and see how they go.
  • robbt1 Noobcake 2012/06/22 18:51:22
    robbt1
    I'm sorry for the way you've been treated, but I'll point to my prior statement. In my experience it is rare for a female to be both into gaming and attractive. And I'm sure the reason this stereotype exists is because my experience in this matter isn't unique.
  • Maurice... Noobcake 2012/06/24 02:26:04
  • Sophia0... Maurice... 2012/08/05 06:12:32 (edited)
  • Maurice... Sophia0... 2012/08/05 15:11:09
    Maurice Tillman
    If I sounded sexist, please forgive me. I'm just stating my experiences. Men are men and women are women. Neither is "better" than the other. However, you need to tolerate the hazing because video games is not your world. Video games is a way for guys to vent. It's a place to disconnect for a while. Therefore, if a woman wants to join a club they need tough skin. It's not fair. True. Just remember one thing. Whenever women start something, it turns into a childish power struggle.
  • (>*~*)>Zombiecat<(*-*<) 2012/06/20 18:24:44
    (>*~*)>Zombiecat<(*-*<)
    About the worst of it is no one believes I'm really a girl. But a chick can gank your ass just as good as a guy can..... believe that.

wowfunny
  • teckila 2012/06/20 17:54:18
    teckila
    In many fields men are underestimating women!
  • Rubyking 2012/06/20 17:53:54
    Rubyking
    I never let my guard down
  • ZeldaFan13 2012/06/20 17:43:52
    ZeldaFan13
    +2
    Since when does Gender Determine Video Game Abilities? o.O

Some guys are better than girls, some girls are better than guys... So what?
  • Anonymouskid 2012/06/20 16:19:33
    Anonymouskid
    Yes... Very. :D I play minecraft, skyrim, ect. and I don't tell anyon cause they'll think i'm insane.
  • tragic ... Anonymo... 2012/06/21 03:29:19
    tragic silence
    Why would they think that? No one cares. Just play. The only thing that matters is skill, not gender.
  • BlackNeko 2012/06/20 16:02:34
    BlackNeko
    Whats between your legs has nothing to do with hand-eye coordination and skill level people are stupid...
  • Radical Ed 2012/06/20 15:21:20
    Radical Ed
    they are gamers, i don't see why people call them gamer girls.
  • Earthly Resident 2012/06/20 14:42:22
    Earthly Resident
    lol, damn right they are, some of them chicks can kick my ass around, and iv'e spend most of my life gaming
  • MorrowJen 2012/06/20 13:16:40
  • Rave 2012/06/20 13:15:17
    Rave
    Yes they are, but realistically, majority of modern gamer girls are not "gamer girls" and are not "posers" either, they are just causal gamers.

There is nothing wrong with being a causal gamer, but I dislike the girls that got into video gaming as a tactic to pick up guys and then pretend that they know anything about video games. Especially since I've been a gamer since I was 4 years old, and growing up some of these same "self-proclaimed gamer girls" made fun of me for playing video games and hanging around the boys who played video games. I don't know why, but they had this idea that video gaming was somehow something very boyish, when in reality if they had started as early as I had, they probably would've seen the entertainment in it too.

I have no reason to call myself a "Gamer girl" because I'm just a gamer, like many people, I've spend a lot of my childhood and life dedicating my time to playing games, I have very fond memories of days spent doing exactly that, and I didn't do it to impress anybody, I did it because I enjoyed it. And I still enjoy it. When I play online I don't make it very obvious that I'm a female, sometimes I get messages from people online congratulating me on being good and asking me to join their team, and usually they are shocked when they fi...

I have no reason to call myself a "Gamer girl" because I'm just a gamer, like many people, I've spend a lot of my childhood and life dedicating my time to playing games, I have very fond memories of days spent doing exactly that, and I didn't do it to impress anybody, I did it because I enjoyed it. And I still enjoy it. When I play online I don't make it very obvious that I'm a female, sometimes I get messages from people online congratulating me on being good and asking me to join their team, and usually they are shocked when they find out that I'm female, which I suppose is an indication of underestimation. Or perhaps it's just that it's uncommon. There really aren't as many dedicated female gamers as there are males.
  • tragic ... Rave 2012/06/21 03:36:14
    tragic silence
    +1
    You sound like a good friend of mine. Only other girl who plays with us. We probably seem that way because most girls that we come across seem to come in determined to "prove us wrong", as if we were discriminating against her for being a girl (Spoiler alert: we aren't).

It makes us wary, especially the "gamer girl pride" sort.
  • Jenethia Rave 2012/06/21 14:12:36
    Jenethia
    +1
    Well said, my friend. I've been a gamer since I was 4-5, too. So what if you're a girl or not? Games are FUN, and it's not something "boyish."
  • David (oYo) 2012/06/20 10:26:51
  • Happy_Evil_Dude 2012/06/20 07:54:21
    Happy_Evil_Dude
    Why should they be estimated at all?
  • krunchatize~me 2012/06/20 06:26:25
  • Just Jenn for Now 2012/06/20 06:05:15
    Just Jenn for Now
    +2
    I hate it when guys immediately say girls suck at gaming. Don't get me wrong, I'm terrible at Halo and the damn war games they have these days, but then again, I'm not a fan. But I'll GLADLY pwn your @$$ in a round of Marvel vs. Capcom or Super Smash Bros!!

marvel campcom wesker gif
  • Werewolfgirl1995 2012/06/20 05:23:19
    Werewolfgirl1995
    +1
    And I love proving the guys wrong
  • PUNX! 2012/06/20 04:46:53
    PUNX!
    +2
    I play xbox and I am pretty good at COD. Most people that verse me think I'm a dude, I tell them I'm a chick and sometimes they don't believe me or they delete me because they can't handle being beaten by a girl.
  • Lexi 2012/06/20 04:34:57
    Lexi
  • Lord Claremorris 2012/06/20 04:24:30
    Lord Claremorris
    +1
    No? I don't know. Men have more logical minds, especially in calculating numbers and spatial dimensions, so any video game involving that will give males a natural advantage over females on average. I play mostly RTS games and I don't know any women who play those. I love detail and I have infinite patience, so I can spend 10 hours carefully managing the economy of my country, creating army corps with their own areas of deployment, their own designations and functions, as well as creating flotillas, without actually even fighting anybody. I don't think many girls could do that without getting extremely bored. But if they attacked me in such a game my careful organisation and preparations will beat them easily.
  • Rave Lord Cl... 2012/06/20 13:05:29
    Rave
    +1
    Assumptions made from the early 20th century, good one.

I have been playing Real-time strategy games since I can remember. One of the first games my father bought me was a very complex strategy game which required a lot of focus and thought, I was only 6 years old and played it quite obsessively. Of course back then he helped me too, there is only so much a 6 year old mind can do.

Since then I've developed as a gamer into many directions, I'm good with speed and action, have fast reflexes, I'm good at planning ahead and my favorite games always include having to use stealth and make quick decisions on the spot; as well as thinking ahead.

Whenever I get into a RTS game though I become rather controlling and obsessive, I focus on every detail and aim for perfectionism, but due to my lack of free time these days it's quite hard to find time for such dedication.

Majority of casual gamers, male or female, do get bored of strategy games, since we have become quite impatient as a generation. But whenever I have time I always enjoy slow paced games which require thought and skillful planning, I find it's harder to get bored of them then it is to get bored of constant repetitive action.
  • Jenethia Lord Cl... 2012/06/21 14:19:01
    Jenethia
    Good one. "Men have more logical minds." Really, that's a good joke, tell me another one.

Geez. SEE, THIS IS WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT. Another DUDE who just ASSUMES that most girls will get bored playing RTS games. I have been playing RTS games with my mother since I was 4-5 years old. This is how I started out. I also loved to sit on my dad's lap and observe him play his RTS games when I was really young.

And I don't know about other girls, but I CERTAINLY don't get bored doing that. You know what I get bored doing? Listening to guys like you talk about women like they don't have a clue how to play a good game.

Good day to you sir, I hope you come to your senses soon.
  • Lord Cl... Jenethia 2012/06/21 16:07:54
    Lord Claremorris
    Yawn.

"One of the most interesting differences appear in the way men and women estimate time, judge speed of things, carry out mental mathematical calculations, orient in space and visualize objects in three dimensions, etc. In all these tasks, women and men are strikingly different, as they are too in the way their brains process language. This may account, scientists say, for the fact that there are many more male mathematicians, airplane pilots, bush guides, mechanical engineers, architects and race car drivers than female ones."

I don't make assumptions.
  • Jenethia Lord Cl... 2012/07/11 15:58:48
    Jenethia
    Whatever. I can't wait until the human population wipes out and there will be no more fuss on "Men vs. Women" and that stuff.
  • Lord Cl... Jenethia 2012/07/11 20:14:33 (edited)
    Lord Claremorris
    You clearly don't have any pent up frustration.
  • Sophia0... Lord Cl... 2012/08/05 06:19:14
    Sophia030394
    Proof or GTFO.
  • Sophia0... Lord Cl... 2012/08/05 06:17:23
    Sophia030394
    Actually, it's been proven that females are 30% smarter than men on average, so suck it.
  • Lord Cl... Sophia0... 2012/08/05 13:47:35
    Lord Claremorris
    Maybe you missed this quote.

Despite being 30% smarter than me you don't seem to be able to understand the way quotations work. I wasn't quoting myself. But God your intellect is impressive. Plus "Proof or GTFO?" My my. Indulging in popular culture and simplistic internet acronyms. Clearly I've been completely outmatched by your brilliance. Next time why don't you just keep your mouth shut?
  • Lord Cl... Sophia0... 2012/08/05 13:53:44
    Lord Claremorris
    But here's more for you.

"Men perform better on certain spatial tasks; for example, mentally rotating objects in space and reading maps/locating landmarks." Eliot 1999: 221; Understanding the Brain

Do you even have any idea how extremely important it is in regards to strategy to be able to quickly and accurately assess topography and geography? You probably don't because you likely don't even know anything about either. For example, what is your strategic assessment of Hitler's invasion of the Soviet Union in the summer of 1941?
  • Dee 2012/06/20 03:53:09
    Dee
    +1
    We are also accused of being guys with female chars, daily!
  • Black Night 2012/06/20 03:45:54
    Black Night
    I game a lot and tend to be better at what games I play than most of my male counter parts.
  • Raphy 2012/06/20 02:57:00
    Raphy
    +2
    I can appreciate a girl who could kick my butt in Madden 2K12...........lol OR any other versus game.

2014/09/20 04:01:54