Aother NFL Suicide: Do Professional Sport Head Injuries Increase the Risk of Suicide?

Daryl 2012/07/30 22:00:00

TAMPA.CBSLOCAL.COM reports:
Tennessee Titans wide receiver O.J. Murdock has died after what appears to be a self-inflicted, fatal gunshot wound.

self-inflicted fatal gunshot wound breaking news sports weather traffic tampa

Read More: http://tampa.cbslocal.com/2012/07/30/police-titans...

• Daryl 2012/07/30 17:05:10 (edited)
    Daryl
    +5
    Not enough data yet but enough people have killed themselves to merit deeper study of the matter.

nfl suicides

• salama_hady 2012/08/25 14:51:41
    salama_hady
    they are far from trust in God.. They think nothing have a value in life but to won as a professional...I think if they really trust God they will not commit any suicide
  • TerryAgee 2012/07/31 18:40:06
    TerryAgee
    Sadly, this appears to be a tragic trend.
  • BoardinOK 2012/07/31 16:35:39
    BoardinOK
    This guy tore his achilles tendon, so people posting about concussions...has this player ever had a concussion?

While I feel like the concussions, do alter and affect; the extent will never really be known. Everybody lives different lives and suffers from different demons. I lost a brother and will never understand how someone who was on top of the world could go that direction, part of me to this day 18 years later, still refuses to believe he did it to himself. With that being said, "I wish his family the best in their attempts to live through this tragedy and become stronger for it."
  • Plantgypc 2012/07/31 12:36:38
    Plantgypc
    I wsh you had undecided. I just know it's a shame this young man felt this sorry.
  • ✞Knight of Honor 2012/07/31 02:26:51
    ✞Knight of Honor
    No more than any other injuries.
  • Scott C 2012/07/31 01:51:16
    Scott C
    What's missing is the relationship they most need...I'm not talking about religion but relationship. They need to know Jesus...not the one prayer and I'm there Jesus but the Jesus that goes through your trials with you. Most of these guys wear the mask of happiness but in truth they are hurting inside. Sometimes it's the drugs they have used to stay competitive, sometimes it's the pressure of family friends and coaches. I think it's a sad commentary on the sport as whole.
  • Callaway 2012/07/31 01:35:04
    Callaway
    Since it's such a new study it would be a tough call to place the entire blame on this. Having had a couple of close friends choose that way to check out I can tell you as an after effect you can endlessly search for reasons why, when, did I miss something all the questions and come up with nothing concrete. In the case of my two buddies both were successful in business, no health/ drugs/booze/marital/financial issues by all outward signs would have been as far from that end as anyone you would pick.
  • wildcat 2012/07/31 01:06:24
    wildcat
    +1
    Not enough evidence to convince me of this. However, the NFL is investigating.
  • Robshock 2012/07/31 00:36:06 (edited)
    Robshock
    You can't hurt one by shooting it in the head. No vital organs in there.
  • rustyshackelford 2012/07/30 23:57:55
  • seadog6608PWCM 2012/07/30 21:41:41
  • ChiTownGirl 2012/07/30 20:41:07
    ChiTownGirl
    +2
    First off, R.I.P. O.J. Murdock, so sad, Such a tragedy. I hate suicides, they leave the people left behind with so many unanswered questions for the rest of their lives :(
  • KaelynnRose 2012/07/30 20:36:41
    KaelynnRose
    +1
    It's honestly hard to say, but it seems like there might be a link between it. I will say disagree for now, but it is a tragedy. I wonder how much is caused by greed and pressure and how much is as a result of a head injury, or if it is a combination of both.

Rest in Peace O.J. Murdoch.
  • Josh Robinson 2012/07/30 20:34:38
    Josh Robinson
    +1
    The slave-like conditions of being a celebrity sports figure probably did it.
  • Vision of Verve 2012/07/30 20:34:03
  • tblackb 2012/07/30 20:32:20
    tblackb
    +1
    I think they do but I don't think its why he committed suicide. he had only been in the league for a year and was hurt most of that. so, he had some other issues to deal with in his life.
  • 56lady☆POTL JLA BTO-t- BCRA... 2012/07/30 20:02:58
    56lady☆POTL JLA BTO-t- BCRA-F's
    +2
    We don't know the whole situation.
    My prayers to his family♥
  • Seonag 2012/07/30 19:29:29
    Seonag
    +1
    Probably drugs has more to do with it than sport head injuries.
  • Balladeer-PWCM-POTL 2012/07/30 19:03:00
    Balladeer-PWCM-POTL
    +2
    nope lets find out what drugs he has been taking bet the bulk are illegal drugs
  • Allbiz - PWCM - JLA 2012/07/30 19:00:58
    Allbiz - PWCM - JLA
    +2
    Thousands of people who are not involved in professional sports receive head injuries from other circustances such as car accidents, accidental falls,etc. but they don't commit suicide. Why not?

From the little bit of info provided, I'm more incined to think that Murdock died from a self-infilcted gunshot. Not from a professional sport injury.

I will think of him in my prayers.
  • GINGERBREAD 2012/07/30 18:56:18
    GINGERBREAD
    +1
    Hold on a minute. These atheletes know what they are doing. In exchange for the big bucks they are getting for playing the game, they have to take a certain amount of risks. I can name you a whole lot of dangerous occupations, and those people in those occupations know the risks involved. And for taking all those risks, they get paid really big bucks, in some cases, millions of dollars/year. Whether they are professional football players, boxers, undersea divers, mercenaries, etc, etc, etc. They all know the risks and they are willing to do it, and it's for the money. So, my advise? Leave them the hell alone.
  • TheBadOne 2012/07/30 17:46:22
    TheBadOne
    +1
    Concussions absolutely increase the risk of suicide, and not just in football players. Two hockey players who died last post season, Wade Belak and Rick Rypien, were fighters who had concussion problems and took their own life. Same can be argued for professional wrestler Chris Benoit, who had significant problems due to concussions at the time he killed his wife and child before killing himself.

To anyone who believes otherwise, please take a moment to consider the following:
    http://www.suicide.org/concus...
  • Kane Fernau 2012/07/30 17:37:25
    Kane Fernau
    +1
    What now ban football?
  • Chi~Cat 2012/07/30 17:21:09
    Chi~Cat
    +1
    Obviously he had issues and couldn't handle them. Tragic for the family to have to deal with his decision to end his life.
  • rightside 2012/07/30 17:14:27
    rightside
    +2
    Don't know. I know they suffer many things later on in years with their physical body, but don't know about head injuries and suicide.
    How many have committed suicided?
  • Squatch 2012/07/30 17:13:58
    Squatch
    +2
    I do not think so anyway. I think a lot of the depression / suicide by famous people has to do with the fact that they were probably somewhat depressed before achieving their goals. They probably thought, "If I can just get where I am going, I will have it made!" Then, unfortunately, they get there and realize they are just as depressed, or more so because they got all they wanted and nothing in their life changed.
    I work in the healthcare field and this is very similar to people who undergo gastric bypass. They are depressed because they are overweight so they get surgery. Then they lose weight and look great, but they are just as depressed. As a result, the #1 side effect of gastric bypass surgery is suicide.
  • Schläue~© 2012/07/30 17:12:13
    Schläue~©
    +2
    Sounds like this one knew he blew his potential career and took the chicken's way out.
  • Pat 2012/07/30 17:11:59
    +1
    I don't know if there's enough information on the effect of head injuries on sports players. It is certainly worth looking into though. There are so many factors that have to be considered like, stress, the constant pressure to perform, pressure to stay in shape, pressure of never being able to go anywhere without attention, wanted or unwanted and then, of course, the inevitable point where maybe your just not good enough or too old to play. Worth studying though.
  • CUDDLY BUT STILL CRABBY 2012/07/30 17:10:57
    CUDDLY BUT STILL CRABBY
    +2
    I'm not an expert by any means but I can tell you that suicides are rampant in these here USA for the last 3-4 years, not only veteran sports stars either. We used to see a spike in suicides Nov-Jan, now it is year-round.

The suicide rate of active duty the USA military is at historical levels. No one seems to give a damn about our veterans, particularly this President and his regime.

http://www.democracynow.org/2...
  • mk, Smartass Oracle 2012/07/30 17:10:50
  • Daryl 2012/07/30 17:05:10 (edited)
    Daryl
    +5

nfl suicides

2014/10/23 21:20:40