Animal activists are enraged over a procedure to silence dogs. Does dog devocalization outrage you?

Anderson 2012/11/15 13:36:08

dog devocalization

• Squatch 2012/11/16 20:49:23
    Yes, dogs should have the freedom to bark as they please!
    Squatch
    +21
    yes - but I am all for devocalizing some people redneck hunter

• JStor66 2013/01/25 14:41:29
    No, if the dog barks excessively, it could be an option.
    JStor66
    Anyone who is against debarking should be forced to spend a week with my dad's labrador. She barks in the morning, in the evening, in the afternoon, in the middle of the night, when people come, when people go, etc. It really is annoying and she has been this way for years; it isn't going to change on its own. Sure, one should first try to manage the barking without surgery (as I have -- tried a shock collar to no effect), but after a certain point, debarking becomes an increasingly viable option.
  • yabbada... JStor66 2013/04/27 21:43:53
    yabbadabbadoo
    thats because your father is a pathetic excuse for a dog owner like my sister...

its funny when the dog is with me rarely barks and when she does i tell her "no barking" which she understands but my sister on the other hand will let her bark and bark and bark and bark and bark without saying a single thing and the dog of course continues to bark

it ALL boils down to the owner NOT the dog
  • Navin J... yabbada... 2013/10/13 17:21:46
    Navin Johnson (The Jerk)
    everything is ALWAYS the owner's fault! well,i say...not always.
  • Matt P. 2012/12/20 02:35:46
    Matt P.
    +1
    Striking similarities to the abortion issue. "I can do what I want with MY dog", "its my choice" vs. "the dog has rights", " what about the dog's choice".
  • Navin J... Matt P. 2013/10/13 17:22:03 (edited)
    Navin Johnson (The Jerk)
    dogs do not have rights. stop trying to raise them to the same level as humans.
  • Edward 2012/12/07 00:30:40
    Edward
    It is not only an outrage, I think it should be punishable by doing it to the pet owner & I'm serious!
  • Navin J... Edward 2013/10/13 17:23:11
    Navin Johnson (The Jerk)
    but....but...what if you tried to put the dogs bark back in?
  • Paige 2012/12/05 20:27:54
    Paige
    Not only is it cruel and unusual, it causes damage to the dogs esophagus. Its unhealthy for the animals! If you can't handle the barking don't even consider getting a dog. Its natural, its what they do.
  • Navin J... Paige 2013/10/13 17:23:35
    Navin Johnson (The Jerk)
    not natural for them to bark constantly.
  • Paige Navin J... 2014/01/04 04:10:27
    Paige
    It may not be but it's something that, as a pet owner, you should know that it may be a possibility.
    My first Great Dane I had bit me because he was possessive and we had to rehome him. My second Dane was incredible, very overprotective of us kids and acted like a puppy until the day we lost her. My Basset Hound was always incredible with children but now that she's older she doesn't put up wih as much. My first Dauchshund is stubborn and headstrong and barks constantly, but she's very good with my mom and I. My other Dauchshund was the sweetest little thing, we never trained her, she never barked she was intelligent as anything, but we lost her at 14 months old. My silky terrier barks incessantly until she loses her 'voice'. My Finnish Spitz barks when she's scared or stressed, and in a situation that is unnatural to her and she hates people, if given the chance I'm sure she'd rip a stramger to shreds but she's amazing when it comes to my family and I.
    All these little quirks that dogs have are things you sign up for when you take the responsibility of becoming a pet owner. You learn to work with them, you figure it out. Just because you have a dog that seems 'perfect' doesn't mean if you go out and get the same breed it will be the exact same dog. You never know what you'r...
    All these little quirks that dogs have are things you sign up for when you take the responsibility of becoming a pet owner. You learn to work with them, you figure it out. Just because you have a dog that seems 'perfect' doesn't mean if you go out and get the same breed it will be the exact same dog. You never know what you're going to get and that, to me, is what I love most about being a pet owner. I love waking up in the middle of the night to my dog barking because it makes me think, I could be getting a full nights sleep, but if I did, I wouldn't have her to wake up to in the morning, cuddling up to me. I wouldn't have a best friend to tell all my secrets to. I wouldn't have someone that will listen to me for hours, not judging me, just taking I all in. If it weren't for my dogs I wouldn't have anything, so that being said: I'll take what I can get, even if it means constant barking, or a dog that can't be out when company is over- a dog that I know genuinely loves me because I saved her.
  • CountrysideLady 2012/12/04 19:20:36
    CountrysideLady
    +1
    How else are we going to get alerted to burgulars in the house?! Anyway surely obedience training is cheaper! People are lazy.....train your pets.
  • Navin J... Country... 2013/10/13 17:24:00
    Navin Johnson (The Jerk)
    sometimes,even training doesn't work.
  • April K. 2012/12/03 18:04:03
    April K.
    +1
    Yes I am actually..A dogs are just like us! They need to express themselves..Who knows, this procedure could even be painful.
  • Navin J... April K. 2013/10/13 17:18:21
    Navin Johnson (The Jerk)
    i wish my neighbors would have done that to their non-stop barking dog,i wanted to punt it across the street!
  • Navin J... April K. 2013/10/13 17:24:28
    Navin Johnson (The Jerk)
    dogs are a lower life form,they are not at the same level as humans.
  • moriarty 2012/11/30 03:38:06
    moriarty
    +1
    that's messed up.
  • Maureen C. 2012/11/29 02:26:09
    Maureen C.
    +2
    That is so insane!!!!!!!! People talk, dogs bark!!! I can see things like collars, even though an avid dog lover myself, but this is nuts, and anyone who would want to do it doesn't love an animal AT ALL.
  • Thomas G Towns 2012/11/24 18:15:23
    Thomas G Towns
    +1
    If only we could shut up Animal Activists
  • User Deactivated 2012/11/24 07:28:15
    User Deactivated
    +1
    Mutilating pets. I know of certain peoples who do something to their women.....
  • Navin J... User De... 2013/10/13 17:25:04
    Navin Johnson (The Jerk)
    how is this mutilating them?
  • User De... Navin J... 2013/10/14 07:22:47
    User Deactivated
    which procedure are you referencing?
  • Aki 2012/11/23 09:45:55
    Aki
    I personally would want a dog that barks, it's their way of communication. How else am I suppose to know little Timmy is trapped down a well?
  • primecreator81 2012/11/21 18:32:52
  • Little Fawn 2012/11/21 17:58:20
    Little Fawn
    +1
    Sick. The idea of this is simply disgusting.
  • BIG BAD JOHN R. 2012/11/21 16:03:17
    BIG BAD JOHN R.
    +1
    THAT IS TOTALLY WRONG... If you do that to a dog, I sure hope someone does that to you too!
  • kraftymomma1979 2012/11/21 14:45:07
    kraftymomma1979
    +3
    My cocker spaniel alerted me of an intruder. Of course, she also let me know if someone stepped on the porch or got up close to one of the windows. She deserved appreciation, not to be "debarked." MableJean, RIP, miss you still!
  • Amasaman 2012/11/21 14:07:17
    Amasaman
    +2
    It's called training, people. Train your dog when to bark and when not to, or don't get a dog.
  • hippycat 2012/11/21 13:31:04
    hippycat
    +3
    it's absolutely revolting and can't believe any sane person would do that. It is the same as de-clawing cats. Both practices should be illegal.
  • METALheadMom 2012/11/21 13:08:31
    METALheadMom
    +1
    REALLY? Now WHY would someone else's choice to do with their dog make me outraged? IT'S NONE OF MY BUSINESS!
  • hippycat METALhe... 2012/11/21 13:31:42
    hippycat
    +3
    because animals have rights too!!!
  • Navin J... METALhe... 2013/10/13 17:19:22
    Navin Johnson (The Jerk)
    i kind of encouarge it. i can't stand dogs that won't shurrup.
  • rereblue 2012/11/21 09:17:22
    rereblue
    +3
    Unless we can also practice it on people, until then, leave the poor dogs alone.
  • Woof 2012/11/21 06:59:27
    Woof
    +2
    I don't agree that dogs should be allowed to have a barking free for all but surgery is wrong.
  • 3377479 2012/11/21 05:58:37
    3377479
    +3
    They took my dogs balls they aint touchin his voice!
  • lill 2012/11/21 05:56:00
    lill
    +2
    Barking dogs don't bother me. Stupid people on the other hand......
  • Tom Trojan 2012/11/21 03:20:47
    Tom Trojan
    +3
    Can we "de-vocalize" the animal activists instead????
  • Nameless 2012/11/21 01:50:51
    Nameless
    +2
    I've known a couple of dogs (not mine) who barked incessantly, despite every attempt to train/retrain them not to do so. It was a 24x7 problem - except when they were sleeping. Even when they were eating they had to bark. The owners didn't want to devocalize their dogs, but the option was to euthanise the dogs. The first option was much better and the dogs lived long healthy lives.
  • tom C Nameless 2012/11/21 18:32:29
    tom  C
    certain breeds are more prone to barking...and being careful what choose makes a difference...
    But another choice is giving the dog a new home to someone living the country...where barking doesnt matter
  • Nameless tom C 2012/11/21 19:59:28
    Nameless
    One of the dogs lived in the country... He just suffered from a form of neurosis that could not be treated and had to be brought into the home during inclement weather. The choice was to euthanise ot devocalize. Sometimes those are the only two choices. He was perfectly happy after devocalization - and lived a happy life. This dog was bred poorly by breeders and there was nothing that could be done other than the choice made - which was not made lightly. To completely discard that as an option would have left the family who loved him without him - and him dead, period.
  • travele... Nameless 2012/12/08 20:13:30
    traveler818
    I can't find that believable. I follow Cesar Millan, and he takes the attitude that anything is possible--I am not that optimistic, but have no doubt that he would have found a solution other than surgery--it is too cruel.

2014/11/26 12:51:11