An unbreakable screen: Is that a key selling point for you?

L.A. Times 2012/12/07 19:29:31
Samsung's rumored flagship phone, the Galaxy S IV, may feature a new technology that will make its screen "unbreakable."

A Reuters report citing unnamed sources includes several details about what to expect on the next major Samsung release, and chief among them is the possible inclusion of a plastic OLED display. The plastic screen, which would replace the current glass display used for the Galaxy S III, is touted as being unbreakable.

samsung

Read More: http://www.latimes.com/business/technology/la-fi-t...

• Renar 2012/12/08 16:35:22
    Renar
    +9
    Going to switch from the iPhone to the Galaxy anyway. Un breakable screen is not important

• JD 2013/01/07 10:22:24
  • Obsidian Wraith 2012/12/12 07:00:15
    Obsidian Wraith
    Organic LED has a very short life span compared to LED. This is one heck of a trade off. Never the less, it would be worth it. Just guna upgrade in 2 years anyway.
  • Sonny 2012/12/11 21:29:17
    Sonny
    That would be terrific, can't wait
  • EvilMonkey 2012/12/11 19:39:35
    EvilMonkey
    Never broke a screen before but, been a fan of Samsung phones for a while. Won't buy Apple, hate the branding and the hipster/occupy brand boys who love Apple with all their black little redistributive hearts. Hated Apple ever since my parents bought me an Apple II/c in 1984.
  • Manster 2012/12/11 16:16:23
    Manster
    That could help,but I am more concerned about how the phone functions. I always purchase screen covers to protect against scratches on the screen and a case to protect against drops.
  • Serenity Guru of lurve *wink* 2012/12/11 13:18:54 (edited)
    Serenity  Guru of lurve *wink*
    +2
    Last phone I bought was a Galaxy and its a good phone but my daughter did scratch it after a week and a phone with scratches is really annoying Grumble, grumble , grumble because I aint laughing woman annoyed gif
  • Sonny Serenit... 2012/12/11 21:31:58
    Sonny
    You should have bought screen protection film for it.
  • Serenit... Sonny 2012/12/12 01:53:27 (edited)
    Serenity  Guru of lurve *wink*
    +1
    Is that one of those sticky sheets that when you try to put them on you get nothing but bubbles and then you end up screaming and throwing the phone in a temper ?
    or maybe its just me . xxx lol
    taz jumping up  gif
  • Sonny Serenit... 2012/12/12 02:38:08
    Sonny
    LOL!.. what's with Taz?.. anyway there are specially made ones for the samsung galaxy screen. not the one size fits all. beware of inferior brand screen protectors
    samsung galaxy screen protector
  • Serenit... Sonny 2012/12/12 03:03:43
    Serenity  Guru of lurve *wink*
    +1
    Thanks Sonny I will go to the phone shop xxx Taz is my nick name when I get mad as hell xxx sonny phone shop xxx taz nick mad xxx
  • Sonny Serenit... 2012/12/12 03:06:33
    Sonny
    don't mention it
  • JustMe 2012/12/11 07:49:42
    JustMe
    a scratch proof screen on a phone that isn't full touchscreen would do it
  • sally 2012/12/11 05:30:43
    sally
    +1
    It's a plus but I like to know battery life, stability when it comes to applications, memory and function. Not breaking is a plus. I have a pretty good skin cover for my phone and it actually makes it bounce whenever I drop it so I doubt it'll crack the screen anytime soon.
  • JS2 2012/12/11 04:31:23
    JS2
    +1
    wow I saw sodahead namedroping samsung siii and wondered how much samsung PAY YOU TO pimp their product". I should get used to seeing this pro samsung/south-korean article with youbeing a shill for her paymasters.

how much do the south-koreans pay you to post positive reviews? $3400 per article? be honest,
    I tested the phone recently and the thing felt cheap and fragile, had zero quality to it whatsoever. I don't want a $700 contract free tablet-phone that feels like a small child's toy. Rolex don't sell expensive plastic watches so why do the koreans think its ok to shovel expensive plastic slabs to adults?

This south korean phablet also shares a lot of similarities with south korean women, fake cheap feel, tacky and full of plastic, fortunately this phone does not give you a massage and happy ending!

Samsung really doesn't understand how to make quality products. Sure it can steal from Apple riding the iphone clone banner but it can't hit the level of quality that apple possess with its R&D; and micron accurate tolerances.
    It's like 'Same'sung got an oversized screen and forgot that apple do not have an equivalent million inch surfboard toy to copy so at the last minute covered it in a cheap plastic shell with a ton of cheap parts.

I have No idea how anyone gets sucke...

I have No idea how anyone gets suckered into overhyped Samsung products. Android I can understand - supported by socially crippled xbox360 generation losers who claim to be "unique anonymous rebels" by raging against the so-called EVIL baby murdering apple empire, but back to the REAL WORLD there has yet to be a TRUE legitimate iPhone competitor. Apple really has no competition apart from over hyped semi illegal rip-offs from the south koreans who see ip theft, media manipulation and lies(comfort여자들 myth) a part of their culture.

This samsung phone is an overrated turd but of course it gets award for device on the millennium, how? the same way that fat untalented south korean slob PSY gets on TV, bribes south-korean "nation branding" .

more about south korea and nation brading,

people should know the ulterior motives behind kpop and the connection between kpop, south korean govenment and the south korean economy.
    Gangnam Style is a NATURAL craze?? NOPE. did you know south korean government organization (Presidential Council on Nation Branding, Korea founded 2009) is responsible for the 'fake' viral craze paying off international media outlets and manipulating youtube view counts [using starcraft servers...] hyping this artificial craze to promote a positive image of their relatively unknown country.

kpop started to receive recognition outside of south korea around 2009 the SAME year the south korean Government funded organization 'Nation Branding Korea' was founded, coincidence? hell no. Japan was the first victim when state funded manufactured plastic female and male kpoop groups with their bleached white skin/hair and fake sexy image debuted there. It is known fact that Fuji-tv was paid to debut unknown korean 'artists' over Japanese musicians.

why does south corea do this? SIMPLE, The south korean government wants to increase their GDP and to do this they NEED to increase exports. How? by using technique called 'soft power' creating a fake kpop and "korean wave" phenomenon. People will unconsciously associate kpop, kdramas and gangnam craze with cool-korea, ultimately they will buy south korean products[samsung,LG,hyundai,k... tyres,Hynix,Hanjin...] therefore boosting the south korean economy.
    psy with his fake manufactured image and addictive dance is nothing more than a well planned 'nation branding' funded soft-power advert by the korean government. Do not fall for korean government and VANK agents trickery. uncover the truth and read more about the south coreans multi-billion dollar international propaganda campaign http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/...
  • EvilMonkey JS2 2012/12/11 19:31:38
    EvilMonkey
    Hate South Korea much?
  • EvilMonkey JS2 2012/12/11 19:52:22
    EvilMonkey
    'Cause Apple's never had to pay anyone off for stealing patents, *cough* Microsoft *cough*. *cough* VirnetX *cough*
  • Any 2012/12/11 01:42:40
    Any
    I have never broken a screen and I intend to keep it that way.
  • Olimpia Nicula :) 2012/12/11 01:00:37
    Olimpia Nicula :)
    No because i dont break screens so i doesnt matter
  • Alex Goldsmith 2012/12/10 21:33:33
    Alex Goldsmith
    it's a word, not to be taken literally. it is stronger, but not "unbreakable"
  • Joe Rott 2012/12/10 18:39:01
    Joe Rott
    key selling points are performance and capacity as they should be for any computing device. However Unbreakable screen would definitely be a factor.
  • Nickolie 2012/12/10 18:31:04
    Nickolie
    God dammit I just got the GS3!
  • Fernanda 2012/12/10 17:55:35
    Fernanda
    MY FONE ALWAYS KEEPS FALLING SO I WOULD BUY IT NO MATTER WHAT
  • P..W 2012/12/10 17:38:28
    P..W
    but there is no such thing that is unbreakable.:)
  • JAR HEAD 2012/12/10 16:55:48
    JAR HEAD
    yes
  • andydahviehellojay 2012/12/10 14:56:30
    andydahviehellojay
    +1
    ive never broke a screen like a boss
  • Tom 2012/12/10 14:44:56
    Tom
    +1
    Still interested in the phone, though.
    It's going to be the S4 or the Note2 for me.
    iPhones are overrated.
  • QC 2012/12/10 14:43:12
    QC
    Finally, a phone I don't have to replace after hurling it against the wall...
  • ♰SɕαɾƖεt♰ 2012/12/10 13:18:33
    ♰SɕαɾƖεt♰
    most definitely
  • Fenabarb 2012/12/10 12:33:34
    Fenabarb
    Smashed my Sumsung 2 twice and has nearly cost to repair the price of a new phone
  • Corsair 2012/12/10 08:48:23
    Corsair
    If there are anymore changes, then I will consider changing up from a Galaxy S3 to a Galaxy S4.
  • explorer1618 2012/12/10 08:31:15
    explorer1618
    +1
    So I can throw it a conservative 's as they retreat form their rocks !!!!
  • Catgirl 2012/12/10 07:14:19
  • Avi Rosen 2012/12/10 06:29:48
    Avi Rosen
    +1
    I am a prod owner of a Samsung Galaxy.
    Unbreakable screen is a very good feature, but that would never be my key buying point.
    It would mainly be Speed, Battery Life, functionality, flexibility, Stability (doesn't tend to freeze), Ease of use. Unbreakable screen is only a bonus for me.
  • xxx 2012/12/10 06:24:27
    xxx
    it don't matter. I've never broke a screen. I know plenty of people who have and I blame that on their carelessness. Example: putting the phone on your lap and then getting out the car... That's your own fault lol
  • Dan Hood 2012/12/10 06:10:11
    Dan Hood
    I take pretty good care of my electronics (I've only dropped my iPhone a few times in a year), so it isn't really a key selling point for me. If I ever do get a Galaxy, it'll be because it's a good phone, not because the screen is "unbreakable". I'm still happy on my iPhone 4S, because it's a good phone and it suits my needs well.
  • Garciataria 2012/12/10 05:33:57
    Garciataria
    Okay, 74% voted yes, but of those 1,061 votes (correct at the time this was posted) how many of those are iPhone users that are actually willing to turn away from the iPhone? Drop me a reply if you are one.
  • funny_tuna 2012/12/10 05:18:35
  • marty 2012/12/10 00:38:10
    marty
    Soon (if not already), cell phones will have to be advertised like laptops with incremental step ups in screen rez, processing power, storage space, and lower weight.
  • whateverbabynevermind 2012/12/09 22:30:38
    whateverbabynevermind
    I'm sure it would be for others, but I have a plastic cover that covers the edges of my friends, absorbing the shock of impact. I've dropped my iPhone at least a hundred times and nothing's ever happened, so I'm not about to replace it just so my screen won't break.
  • Navin J... whateve... 2012/12/10 04:51:22 (edited)
    Navin Johnson (The Jerk)
    +1
    you should replace it just because it's an iphone

2014/10/20 18:04:57