Adele has admitted to washing her hair with just water and no shampoo! Do you think her grooming habit is gross or normal?

Kyle 2012/03/29 17:29:17
Related Topics: Gross, Hair, Normal

• kiwimac 2012/03/29 20:06:25
    normal
    kiwimac
    +3
    We are far too dependent on grooming aids. Plain water is perfectly OK for normal hair.

• naomi.trenholmgendrich 2013/10/01 05:20:08
    normal
    naomi.trenholmgendrich
    Baking soda and apple cider vinegar! It has made my thick, coarse, wavy hair very soft and beautiful.
  • Ghost of 7:10 2013/01/08 00:13:05
    gross
    Ghost of 7:10
    I'll go with gross but only because I tried the self cleaning hair thing for a year and it didn't work out, I was "washing" my hair by brushing it under the water in the shower. I always had this yellow layer of gunk in my hair that would stick to my brush and after getting home from the beach and not being able to get a brush through it with my self cleaning technique, I just shampooed it and have been shampooing again since. Maybe it work for Adele but it didn't work for me. And whenever I try to water clean my hair now, it's actually dryer than it is on the days I shampoo it a lot of times.
  • Emmy 2012/12/07 00:57:03
    normal
    Emmy
    It's fine to use just water. Shampoo does not "clean" hair. It just strips oils out, so someone who has really greasy hair would want to use shampoo. But hair can be cleansed with just water, a silicone-free conditioner, or a shampoo with no harsh sulfates. It's the friction of your finger tips that clean the hair, not really the product you use.
  • mr echo 2012/04/09 05:35:30
    normal
    mr echo
    not normal and not gross
    i mean it may get clean but it will not be soft
    my hair is very soft ,i start washing it with water itll never be soft
  • Shad 2012/04/02 15:50:36
    normal
    Shad
    I only use shampoo every other day, it allows you natural oils to move from your scalp down to the tips. Shampoo just erases the natural oils.
  • Pocahontas 2012/04/02 15:39:40
    normal
    Pocahontas
    +2
    I think that, if it's true, it works for her. Her hair looks nice and healthy.
    adele
  • Kezzi Rose Lavigne Biersack 2012/04/02 15:23:22
    gross
    Kezzi Rose Lavigne Biersack
    Ewww that's really gross
  • Ms. Bella Black 2012/04/01 20:53:54
    normal
    Ms. Bella Black
    +1
    Ummm, well I use shampoo but I guess if it works for her, go for it! Why are we so concerned about what celebrities put in their hair? Or more like, what they don't?
  • crewzer1 2012/03/31 21:59:24
    normal
    crewzer1
    +1
    Shampoo is a Sham as champayne is significant for migraine pain.
  • jOkEsOnYoU 2012/03/31 17:39:01
    normal
    jOkEsOnYoU
    +1
    I've cut down on how many times I use shampoo a week and my hair has took a turn for the better.
  • La 2012/03/31 02:29:09
    gross
    La
    That would never work for my hair
  • Jay 2012/03/30 21:00:14
    normal
    Jay
    +1
    She is human, people shouldnt be looking up to celebs for sanitation.
  • AppleDoll 2012/03/30 20:55:18
    normal
    AppleDoll
    but does anyone really care
  • Ozymandias 2012/03/30 01:33:56
    normal
    Ozymandias
    +2
    It's really nobody's business to tell you the truth, but people did it for thousands of years before shampoo was every invented. Her hair looks more than alright for me. There are some chemicals in certain shampoos that are actually bad for your hair.
  • Krista 2012/03/30 00:21:36
    gross
    Krista
    +1
    Of course it's gross. In what way is that normal? In order to clean hair, you have to use shampoo.
  • ☆Snapef... Krista 2012/03/30 01:18:28
    ☆Snapefangirl☆
    +3
    You actually don't. I knew a girl who had to shower using only warm water. She was allergic to shampoo, soap and conditioner. She was actually a lot cleaner and nicer smelling than the girls who used shampoo, soap and conditioner.
  • caadam87 Krista 2012/03/30 02:18:20
    caadam87
    +3
    The shampoo you know today has only been around since the 1930s. Before then, people only used soap on the hair, and even that concept had been around for less than a century. So no, you don't have to use shampoo to clean hair. Sorry.
  • La caadam87 2012/03/31 02:29:58
    La
    I'm gonna go ahead and assume that before the 1930's, most people were not very clean at all.
  • caadam87 La 2012/04/01 00:57:25
    caadam87
    +2
    Do you even know where the concept of shampoo started? It started centuries ago in India. They used a special ash with a high alkaline level to clean hair with, then counter it with an oil. The ash would leave the hair feeling dry, even brittle, but the oil would condition the hair and bring the pH balance of the scalp's acid mantle back to normal, as well as lower the cuticles of the hair after washing with the ash.
    Your idea of clean is that we have to strip everything off our skin, scalp, and hair with synthetic ingredients, then replace it with synthetic moisturizers that have artificial/"natural" smells, which really don't do much to keep the scalp and skin at proper pH levels, that's why you have people complaining that they can't go a couple of days without shampooing before their scalp turns into an oil spill. See where that perception of cleanliness is a little off? Luckily, companies are slowly accepting the reality that they're not solving the problem but making it worse and are offering products without all those ingredients that screw up the acid mantle of our bodies.
    But I digress on that—what gets me is that people want to act like they know what they're talking about when really, they don't even bother doing some research and QUESTION why this concept is travelin...
    But I digress on that—what gets me is that people want to act like they know what they're talking about when really, they don't even bother doing some research and QUESTION why this concept is traveling around. I don't really have a BIG problem with shampoo and conditioner. I don't. I can understand why some people want to use it. All I advocate is that people realize what shampoo and conditioner are doing to their scalp and hair, and learn from that information how to use such products wisely, not mindlessly.
    That's all. :) And I've known lots of people who've decided to get rid of products altogether, and they have some of the shiniest, softest, and healthiest hair I've seen. And, what a concept, it's clean.
  • La caadam87 2012/04/02 03:25:33
    La
    I am quoting from you here :) Straight copy-paste.

2 replies ago:

"The shampoo you know today has only been around since the 1930s. Before then, people only used soap on the hair, and even that concept had been around for less than a century."

1 reply ago:

"Do you even know where the concept of shampoo started? It started centuries ago in India"

Don't expect me to listen to you if you're going to be blatantly inconsistent.
  • caadam87 La 2012/04/02 20:12:48 (edited)
    caadam87
    "Shampoo you know today" has synthetic ingredients and doesn't have a proper pH balance for the scalp's acid mantle DID start in the 1930s. The CONCEPT of shampoo, or champu, started back in India centuries before, and obviously is NOT what we know today as shampoo. Maybe if you would've read more carefully, you would've seen that I wasn't being inconsistent.
  • La caadam87 2012/04/04 04:46:52
    La
    >even that concept had been around for less than a century."
  • Dancing... La 2012/08/01 00:10:08 (edited)
    DancingPuppets
    +3
    "Before then, people only used soap on the hair, and even that concept had been around for less than a century"

The concept of washing the hair with soap has been around for less than a century, not the shampoo concept which originated in India.
  • nverumind 2012/03/30 00:01:16
    normal
    nverumind
    +1
    You shouldnt use shampoo all the time anyway The natural oils in your hair, on your scalp, and face are actually good for your hair and scalp..using shampoo too much can leave your hair dried out , broken, and unhealthy.
  • La nverumind 2012/03/31 02:30:15
    La
    Mhmmm depends on how greasy your hair is
  • nverumind La 2012/03/31 20:11:25
    nverumind
    yep everyone is different ..
  • Bett17 2012/03/29 23:33:24
    normal
    Bett17
    +1
    Lol better than not washing at all. xD
  • ☠ Live Free Or Die ☠ 2012/03/29 22:35:53
    normal
    ☠ Live Free Or Die ☠
    +1
    I do something similar. I get my hair wet in the shower, comb it, put conditioner in it, scrub my scalp and rinse thoroughly. This gets it relatively clean without making my hair dry and frizzy, but I have to actually wash it every month or so. Look, if you have long hair like adelle, or curly hair like me, you aren't supposed to wash your hair that much, and when you do you're just supposed to wash your scalp, because the natural oils don't get destributed to the ends like someone with straight or short hair.
  • susan BN-0 2012/03/29 22:32:04
    normal
    susan BN-0
    I have no Idea If It Is actually normal or not but It's her choice on how she washes her hair,I use shampoo.
  • Wilde~MoonChild ™ 2012/03/29 21:55:11
    normal
    Wilde~MoonChild ™
    Its said that you shouldnt wash your hair everyday.. so its good at least shes attempting to keep it clean
  • Vision of Verve 2012/03/29 21:48:24
  • Moonbeams 2012/03/29 21:47:26
    normal
    Moonbeams
    +1
    Kurt Cobain even took this route. She's definitely not the first, and won't be the last.

Certain shampoos, tend to have sulfates, ammonia, and other harsh chemicals. It's good to give your hair a break sometimes. I try to keep mine sulfate free.
  • caadam87 2012/03/29 21:44:15 (edited)
    normal
    caadam87
    I think because of the shampoo movement (which honestly, people, we didn't evolve with a friggin' bottle of shampoo or bar of soap in our hands), people have become so dependent on shampoo, that actually thinking, "Hey, maybe my body is capable of actually taking care of itself," is really a stretch. Using just water and allowing the scalp to produce sebum normally (not at a frightening rate which regular shampooing causes, even baking soda), keep track of its own pH balance, is actually a GOOD thing. Sure, not everyone can do it due to body chemistry, hair type, and diet (and if you're a human oil slick no matter what you've done to fix it, then I don't blame you for shampooing every once in a while), but that doesn't mean other people can't. Everyone's different physically. I thought this was supposed to be a generation of open minded people, and yet most of us (well, a good amount) can barely accept the idea of someone doing this? Sad... very sad.
  • Ghost o... caadam87 2013/01/08 00:16:57
    Ghost of 7:10
    +9
    Maybe that would be true if water didn't have so much chemicals in it, or assuming it does since my hair is usually dried out if I try to water clean it. Maybe people thousands of years ago weren't as bad off as people might think.
  • ♫♪‼Chloey Arddun‼♫♪ 2012/03/29 21:11:46 (edited)
    normal
    ♫♪‼Chloey Arddun‼♫♪
    +1
    lol. What a bunch of whiners. That sure is exciting news! *cough cough*
    Little box at bottom of third page:"80 people killed in explosion"....meh...it happens...
    Giant Headlines at front of page:"Adele Doesn't wash her hair with shampoo!!!!"

"oh god that's terrible! shocking! God forbid she doesn't use shampoo! I don't want to live in a world where women don't wash their hair, It's the end next I tell you!
    THE END!! Next thing you know she's going say she doesn't dye her hair OH NNNNNOooOoOoOoOoOoOoO"
  • Rubyking 2012/03/29 21:06:56
    gross
    Rubyking
    kill that bacteria NOW
  • Sinister Ken Doll™ 2012/03/29 20:43:17
    normal
    Sinister Ken Doll™
    you don't have to use shampoo all the time...
  • Charles E 2012/03/29 20:36:56
    normal
    Charles E
    If she gets her hair clean, what's the problem? Better than stripping the natural oils with detergent so she can replace them with artificial conditioner.
  • Beat Magnum True Hero 2012/03/29 20:29:12
    normal
    Beat Magnum True Hero
    +1
    I shampoo every other day. If I shampoo daily, my hair puffs up into a white-guy afro the second the air hits it.
  • Honeybuns 2012/03/29 20:24:26
    gross
    Honeybuns
    If you don't use shampoo to wash your hair.Then it's still dirty. And samething goes to washing your body. But just with soap.

2014/04/23 16:26:41