Adam Yauch Dies at 47: What's Your Favorite Beastie Boys Song?

Music 2012/05/04 18:00:00
Adam Yauch, better known as MCA, one-third of the legendary Brooklyn hip hop group The Beastie Boys, passed away on Friday. He was 47 years old. The cause of death has not been confirmed, but Yauch announced in 2009 that he was being treated for cancer. At the time, press was calling the tumor in his parotid gland "very treatable." Yauch remained hopeful, and in 2010 wrote that he and his friends were meditating twice a day "with a wish for all beings to be cured of all illnesses and to find true lasting happiness."

Yauch came up with the idea to form a hardcore band with Michael "Mike D" Diamond and two other friends, and they played their first show on his 17th birthday in 1981. Yauch played bass. After gaining momentum in the hardcore scene, the third lasting member of The Beastie Boys, Adam "Ad-Rock" Horovitz replaced the group's guitarist and they began to shift from hardcore to hip hop. In 1986 they released their first full-length album, "Licensed to Ill." It became the first hip hop album to top the charts. Over the course of their career, the group won three Grammys.

• sash 2012/05/06 00:09:44
    "Fight for Your Right"
    sash
    +7
    I remember being 18, driving around with License to Ill in the cassette player! I have been a Beastie Boys fan since then, that's 26 years and then kept making great music, doing great things and being really great people.
    You know what makes me sick? Adam Yauch was a really talented guy, an activist, a philanthropist and widely respected and known as a sweet guy. He didn't do drugs, He was a family man, He was never involved in a scandal, he was a buddhist and spoke about peace. The TV has barely mentioned his death. Now if a freakshow like Michael Jackson dies, it's big news. If a celebrity with well documented drug problems and marital problems and behaves like a train wreck dies like Whitney Houston or Amy Winehouse, it's a really big deal for days it's all you see on TV.
    Adam Yauch was an amazing person with a career spanning 33 years, the Beastie Boys have sold over 40 million albums, they have won grammy's and MTV awards. Adam organized the Tibetan Freedom concert. The Beastie Boys were just inducted into the Hall of Fame earlier this year. Adam was extremely involved in many charities and was an activist.
    This is the kind of person we should be hearing about instead of 24/7 for days coverage of celebrity train wrecks death.
    I guess if it's not sexy it's not news and we have gotten to the point where most people would rather hear about or watch a scandal than honor someone who was a good person.

• Padding... Truth M... 2012/05/06 23:49:33
  • Truth M... Padding... 2012/05/07 11:05:43 (edited)
    Truth Matters
    You do have a shared burden to justify your Atheist position.
    Both Theism and Atheism are belief positions. Both should be justified.

(fact) an absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

(fact) Plenty of evidence exists for God. This increases your burden to justify a position of denial. The fact that you deny the evidence is evidence is hand-waving.

(fact) the evidences and arguments I regularly offer are never refuted and some have enjoyed undefeated success in world class debates. You handwave them away, but cannot defeat them.
  • Padding... Truth M... 2012/05/07 12:50:59
  • Truth M... Padding... 2012/05/07 22:36:44
    Truth Matters
    Below are some major evidences to justify belief in God.

Pray tell, where is your evidence to justify your Atheist belief that No God exists? Of course you have none. Then WHY DO YOU BELIEVE IT?

Absolute Cosmological beginning. Big Bang confirmations
    Contingency
    Fine Tuning of the initial conditions of the Universe confirmation.
    Design Theory
    Information theory / DNA
    The existence of Objective Moral values and duties: Raping children is objectively wrong – no matter what the child rapist thinks (not subjective) cannot be grounded unless God exists
    Radically sophisticated integrated molecular machines - driven by DNA software.
    The presence of Intelligence in the Universe.
    A rational order (property of MIND) imposed on the Universe.
    The logical impossibility of FREE-will from chemical CAUSATION.
    The Spiritual instinct of Man
    NDE's and ubiquitous
    Christ's miracles and resurrection
  • Padding... Truth M... 2012/05/07 22:43:07
  • Truth M... Padding... 2012/05/07 23:13:04
    Truth Matters
    Big Bang cosmology is confirmed Scientific Theory (Capital T).
    Fine Tuning confirmations are confirmed science.
    Contingency is pure logic.
    Moral argument is from immediate experience - the way we know most things,
    Design Theory is pure Mathematics.

There are books written on these subjects. If you think you can defeat them, then by all means try - I guarantee you cannot. Nobody has.

Now where is your evidence to justify your Atheist belief position?
  • Padding... Truth M... 2012/05/07 23:26:28
  • Truth M... Padding... 2012/05/07 23:38:52
    Truth Matters
    You're dead wrong. Big Bang Theory most certainly does confirm a physical Universe coming into existence from Nothing physical. There was no physical matter or space-time causally antecedent to the singularity boundary.

You should ask yourself why the Materialists who control popularized science propaganda have left you ignorant of this fact.

Why won't you be honest about the fact you have no evidence to justify your Atheism? Dishonesty sucks.
  • Padding... Truth M... 2012/05/07 23:44:25
  • Truth M... Padding... 2012/05/07 23:49:09 (edited)
    Truth Matters
    Where is your evidence Atheist?

Since you claim no objective moral values or duties exist...Tell us who is justified to rape your family and choke you to death?

Of course, you never answer anything.
    Atheism is mindless.
  • Truth M... Padding... 2012/05/07 23:41:33 (edited)
    Truth Matters
    "Now, as the philosophical proposition can be argued to be 'true', 'false' or 'both' and the lack of physical, anecdotal or anything else that is not entirely conceptual, I have justified my atheism."

You offer this irrational psuedo-philosophical slop as evidence to justify Atheism - then claim my science and logic is 'not evidence, but philosophy??? Insane.

You have proven your intellectual dishonesty.
  • Padding... Truth M... 2012/05/07 22:45:22
  • Truth M... Padding... 2012/05/07 23:21:51
    Truth Matters
    "no objective morality exists"

So according to your claim:

1) their is no objective moral difference between raping a child and caring for children - just a subjective opinion?

2) The child rapist is subjectively justified raping children - not actually wrong??

Why should any sane person accept such a depraved notion that directly contradicts moral experience - just so Atheism can remain coherent?
  • Padding... Truth M... 2012/05/07 23:40:55
  • Truth M... Padding... 2012/05/07 23:46:16
    Truth Matters
    PF. Tell us exactly whom is justified to rape your family and choke you to death - since objective moral values and duties don't exist?

Atheism is mindless.
  • Padding... Truth M... 2012/05/07 23:50:10
  • Truth M... Padding... 2012/05/08 00:05:48
    Truth Matters
    Please dude, You came out demeaning me with all sorts of pejorative accusations. I am making very solid arguments, destroying your objections and you are answering absolutely nothing. Now you wan't to cry foul? Spare me the feigned outrage.

You claimed no objective moral values or duties exist. Justify that claim!

Tell us who is justified to rape children?

Explain who is justified to kill your family for money?

You know damned well that we all experience an objective moral reality. Your Atheism cannot possibly ground this reality with any logical coherence.
  • Padding... Truth M... 2012/05/08 00:12:07
  • Truth M... Padding... 2012/05/08 00:29:04
    Truth Matters
    Why should I be moved? You have no arguments or evidence to justify your belief. You refuse to answer questions or be honest about it.

You tried to jump me with insults and accusations - then you got shellacked on the merits.

I couldn't care less whether you have an issue with me or not. I do care about defeating Atheist pretenses in reason.
  • Padding... Truth M... 2012/05/08 00:35:35
  • Truth M... Padding... 2012/05/08 01:01:34
    Truth Matters
    OK let's look back to find if I offered any arguments.

Again, here is a very cursory outline of some of the best evidences for God. The full arguments and evidences are not NOT adequately explained here. This is a very compacted outline I put together - not comprehensive.

Contingency – Why something exists rather than nothing? Something cannot begin from nothing without a cause, so Something must self-exist. Self-existence is logically necessary. Self –creation is logically impossible. Our Universe began to exist. Our Universe is not self-existent. Our Universe requires a causally antecedent agency to explain it’s existence. God does not – God has no beginning (self-existent).

Cosmological – Absolute beginning requires a causal agency. Cause of Physical Universe cannot itself be Physical. Must be non-physical, space-less, timeless and willful to cause Physical Universe from Physical Nothingness.

Design: Specified, ordered and integrated interdependencies aimed towards a third-purpose design objectives clearly infer intelligent agency. ‘Chance’ events within limited time-frames cannot rationally account for Design achievements. No sufficient Naturalistic mechanisms or explanations. Intelligent purpose is far more plausible explanation. Origin of radical...

Design: Specified, ordered and integrated interdependencies aimed towards a third-purpose design objectives clearly infer intelligent agency. ‘Chance’ events within limited time-frames cannot rationally account for Design achievements. No sufficient Naturalistic mechanisms or explanations. Intelligent purpose is far more plausible explanation. Origin of radically sophisticated DNA information (software) driving molecular highly sophisticated molecular machines within each cell. Also, the design inference from irreducible complexity cannot and certainly has not been adequately explained.

Precision FINELY TUNED constants and quantities present in initial conditions of the Universe to within infinitesimally narrow ranges to permit life. Universe is precision balanced on razor’s edge. This is virtual mathematical proof of intent – a function of mind – is necessary to explain these precision orderings.

Ontological argument – God is a metaphysically necessary Being. Since God’s attributes are metaphysically possible, and all metaphysical possibilities must also be actual if possible, God must be actual.

Intelligence in Nature: Intelligence, order and reason and information all from Nothingness?

Spiritual instinct of man: Evolved to connect with something not actual?

Free-will: Chemical causation is not free-will. Agency requires a soul. Chemicals have no moral duties.

Moral Truth / Apprehension of Objective moral truth. Is rape really wrong or just an illusion? Is rape just a natural chemical byproduct caused by electrochemical activity (Atheism) – or an act of will.

Massive Historical evidences of witnessed Miracles, visions, fulfilled prophecies,.

Personal experiences: Ubiquitous NDE’s, supernatural phenomena

Christ’s resurrection witnessed by hundreds.

Absolute failure of Naturalism to explain a Finely tuned Universe, Finite Universe, Sentience, Rational truth and natural order, Moral Law (morality), intuition, intentionality, intelligence, purpose, free-will…
  • Padding... Truth M... 2012/05/08 01:10:21
  • Truth M... Padding... 2012/05/08 01:19:02 (edited)
    Truth Matters
    Yep, but I will hold you accountable.

You sure type well for 'drunk and tired' ; )

Why do you Brits stay up so late?
    Some of you are still yelling at me after I go to bed!
    Don't you guys sleep?
  • Padding... Truth M... 2012/05/08 01:22:11
  • Truth M... Padding... 2012/05/08 01:33:47
    Truth Matters
    I'm impressed.
  • Padding... Truth M... 2012/05/08 01:36:45
  • Truth M... Padding... 2012/05/08 23:13:01
    Truth Matters
    OK.
    Feel free to message me.
  • Truth M... Padding... 2012/05/08 01:26:59
    Truth Matters
    BTW. The irony is that people dog me for my 'outline'. I try to cram a lectures worth of Material into a few sentences and it leaves too many open ends uncovered, so I reduced it down to just naming the arguments.

There is no way I can cover everything adequately in an outline.
  • Padding... Truth M... 2012/05/08 01:28:50
  • Truth M... Padding... 2012/05/08 23:13:52
    Truth Matters
    Yep
  • Truth M... Padding... 2012/05/08 01:16:50
    Truth Matters
    "As I say, I have no issue with you.whether you care is irrelevant;"

" i don't care for your cute, antiquated notions. In fact, I find you interesting. But you have offered no reason, no context, nothing, in spite of me offering you opportunity time and again."

Do you always lose debates to 'cute, antiquated notions'?

Why do you find me interesting if I have no reason and offered 'nothing'? Fact is, you are lying. I have trounced you in reason and provided massive evidence while you in fact have provided zilch - and you know it.

I don't care for your pretense and brazen intellectual dishonesty.
    I don't care for your utter inability to justify your belief position.
    I don't care for your unwillingness to answer directly pertinent questions when queried.

"I added you as a friend as, though I'm an atheist, I am interested in all sides. So far, though, you have offered nothing."

You are lying. I have offered much, while you have evaded all.

I will be happy to discuss things in intellectual honesty. I am very honest and hold myself accountable. I don't suffer dishonesty from those who won't.
  • Padding... Truth M... 2012/05/08 01:19:17
  • Truth M... Padding... 2012/05/08 23:15:05
    Truth Matters
    Yeah, I can be a real jackass. Sorry. let's bury the hatchet and start over.
  • Padding... Truth M... 2012/05/09 08:54:52
  • Padding... Truth M... 2012/05/07 14:01:40
  • Truth M... Padding... 2012/05/07 22:40:19
    Truth Matters
    (fact) I present and defend evidence and arguments constantly. Nobody has ever defeated a single one. I You are either ignorant or lying.

Where is you evidence to justify that Atheist belief?
  • Padding... Truth M... 2012/05/07 22:49:33
  • Padding... Padding... 2012/05/07 22:50:18
  • Truth M... Padding... 2012/05/07 23:25:06 (edited)
    Truth Matters
    Where is your evidence Atheist???

Stop cowering.
  • Truth M... Padding... 2012/05/07 23:24:43
    Truth Matters
    Your intellectual laziness is not a counterargument. I pointed to these well-know arguments - and I will destroy you in debate on the merits if you challenge me.

Now where is your evidence and arguments to justify your Atheist belief????

2014/09/19 23:56:25