Achilles tendon hurts when I run?

LauraAnneHenkel 2012/04/09 13:55:00
When I run, mostly after I get done running, my achilles tendon hurts. I have my first track meet tomorrow and I wear ankel braces/wrap it when I'm running or doing anything like that. I talked to the helper from the hospital at school and he gave me a couple streches to do. Do you guys know any other streches I could do to help strech them out well or know anything I could do to make them hurt less? Any information you have will be helpfull. Thanks!

• exhon2009 2012/04/29 18:12:35 (edited)
    exhon2009
    I've had about every form of tendonitis there is. I run from a health club that has a jacuzzi. I take off my shoes and socks and stand in it up to mid thigh. I put my feet on one of the steps and slowly drop my heels stretching the achilles out. Get your legs good and stretched out in 100 degree water for about five minutes and that should help. I never had a problem if I did that. I understand that isn't accessible for everyone. A warm bath will also work. Stretch your calfs by gently pulling on your toes or balls of your feet. Never stretch to the point of pain.

Also, if you can, ice down afterwards. Icing causes the blood to leave the affected area. Later when the area warms up fresh blood rushes back in which helps reduce any inflammation. Good luck to you in track.
  • LauraAn... exhon2009 2012/05/01 00:39:39
    LauraAnneHenkel
    alright thanks.
  • joe mauro 2012/04/15 01:21:58
    joe mauro
    a couple of things,first off you cannot strech acold muscle massage first then stretch,then walk then run that might be your probnnlem . also none of us have a perfect gait,you may be leaning and or favoring one side over the other get afilm of your stride and slow it down you might be surprised. Check how your shoes are laced make sure they are not to tight.When you have aday off dont do any exercise and soak your lergs in awhirpool or tub. Also you may be devolpinag shin splints which are very common among runners dont panic its just muscle rubbing against your shin bone not your tendom and good luick whatever happens dont stop running!
  • LauraAn... joe mauro 2012/04/15 01:23:12
    LauraAnneHenkel
    alright thanks!
  • tom C 2012/04/10 13:10:47
    tom  C
    +1
    • Calf stretch
    Lean forward against a wall with one knee straight and the heel on the ground. Place the other leg in front, with the knee bent. To stretch the calf muscles and the heel cord, push your hips toward the wall in a controlled fashion. Hold the position for 10 seconds and relax. Repeat this exercise 20 times for each foot. A strong pull in the calf should be felt during the stretch.

Physical Therapy. Physical therapy is very helpful in treating Achilles tendinitis. It has proven to work better for noninsertional tendinitis than for insertional tendinitis.

Eccentric Strengthening Protocol. Eccentric strengthening is defined as contracting (tightening) a muscle while it is getting longer. Eccentric strengthening exercises can cause damage to the Achilles tendon if they are not done correctly. At first, they should be performed under the supervision of a physical therapist. Once mastered with a therapist, the exercises can then be done at home. These exercises may cause some discomfort, however, it should not be unbearable.

• Bilateral heel drop
    Stand at the edge of a stair, or a raised platform that is stable, with just the front half of your foot on the stair. This position will allow your heel to move up and down without hitting the stair. Care must be take...

• Calf stretch

• Bilateral heel drop
    Stand at the edge of a stair, or a raised platform that is stable, with just the front half of your foot on the stair. This position will allow your heel to move up and down without hitting the stair. Care must be taken to ensure that you are balanced correctly to prevent falling and injury. Be sure to hold onto a railing to help you balance.

Lift your heels off the ground then slowly lower your heels to the lowest point possible. Repeat this step 20 times. This exercise should be done in a slow, controlled fashion. Rapid movement can create the risk of damage to the tendon. As the pain improves, you can increase the difficulty level of the exercise by holding a small weight in each hand.
    • Single leg heel drop
    This exercise is performed similarly to the bilateral heel drop, except that all your weight is focused on one leg. This should be done only after the bilateral heel drop has been mastered.
  • LauraAn... tom C 2012/04/14 00:29:42
    LauraAnneHenkel
    +1
    Thanks! This helps alot!
  • Bringbackmanufacturing 2012/04/10 02:54:26
  • LauraAn... Bringba... 2012/04/14 00:32:22
    LauraAnneHenkel
    Thanks. Do you know where you could buy a form roller?
  • Bringba... LauraAn... 2012/04/14 01:25:43
    Bringbackmanufacturing
    I have seen them at Target, however you might get the roller cheaper on the internet. I have used the roller after a long run to get the knots out. Take care!
  • LauraAn... Bringba... 2012/04/14 01:39:43
    LauraAnneHenkel
    alright Thanks!
  • Hooblie 2012/04/09 16:19:42
    Hooblie
    i have the same problem, and i run too. before i run i usually try to fine a ledge, and put my toes on it, and move closer as it streaches it out. other wise, just make sure you ice it, and i've found that if you run hot but not scorching hot water on your ankles at night, it helps loosen up
  • LauraAn... Hooblie 2012/04/09 23:22:41
    LauraAnneHenkel
    alright thanks :)

2014/10/23 16:57:26