A man just died from playing Diablo III for 40hrs straight. Do you think it is easy to get addicted to playing?

HAHAJKDOTCOM 2012/07/19 23:08:08
Related Topics: Games
Would it be cool to die from playing too many video games?

HAHAJK.COM reports:
The years of anticipation for Diablo III have undoubtedly yielded long sweaty play sessions since its release on May 15, but one fan's obsession with the game has finally proven fatal.

sweaty play sessions release 15 fans obsession game proven fatal

Read More: http://hahajk.com/science-and-medicine/why-playing...

• Doctor 2012/07/20 01:40:02
    No, we can quit whenever we want
    Doctor
    +5
    Now if you excuse me, I must get back to Testing So I may get my Dilicious CAKE!
    Portal cake

• Eric S. Noobcake 2012/07/20 07:22:18
    Eric S.
    +1
    Maybe that stupid person was actually winning and winning and winning and .... he just can't stop!
  • glen Eric S. 2012/07/20 11:43:25
    glen
    And living on Tiger blood ! L.O.L.
  • Alexand... Noobcake 2012/07/20 07:05:58
  • Anthony Grippi 2012/07/20 05:21:09 (edited)
    No, we can quit whenever we want
    Anthony Grippi
    Though I think it can be addictive, I think dieing from playing it is a pretty extreme case. I would definitely fall asleep, or get bored if I was playing 1/4 of that time. Or at least get the munchies and half to take a break. Haha
  • cnsharp 2012/07/20 04:55:40
    Yes, that's why I don't play
    cnsharp
    +1
    I don't play much but when I do I lose major track of time, not 40 hrs, but 3 hrs seem like 1 or 2.
  • Jackal 2012/07/20 04:51:46
    No way, I'm a machine! A Modern Warfare playing machine!
    Jackal
    That kid is an idiot.
  • Noobcake 2012/07/20 03:47:41 (edited)
    No, we can quit whenever we want
    Noobcake
    +2
    This is not the response I would choose...

SOME people are prone to addiction of all sorts. People with mental disorders such as depression or social anxiety are at risk of becoming addicted to video games (usually ONE video game) because, in addition to being fun, video games provide the opportunity for controlled social interaction (in the case of online games such as MMOs) and provide oneself with a false sense of achievement: something that is likely to be lacking in the lives of those who suffer from these disorders and others. It should be noted that playing video games will not cause one to develop such a mental disorder but playing excessively can exacerbate a pre-existing condition.

MOST people who play video games on a regular basis are not addicted - even if another thinks they probably play too much, which may be true.

Video games are not inherently evil as some would like to believe. Just as a regular glass of red wine is good for your health, playing video games with restraint has benefits too. All things in moderation.
  • Michelle 2012/07/20 03:20:37
    No, we can quit whenever we want
    Michelle
    +1
    For those prone to addictions, video games can easily become one. For people less easily sucked in forever: they're just games.
  • M A 2012/07/20 03:11:31
    Yes, that's why I don't play
    M A
    but not for 40 hrs straight
  • Blueskys 2012/07/20 03:08:13
    No, we can quit whenever we want
    Blueskys
    These wargamers are FREAKS who never get a date...
    Except I was in the military and it was work related :).

I made or bought miniature pewter figures and made entire armies of many hundreds of figures then carefully hand painted them and made and mounted them on the bases'.
    I then made scenery and terrain to recreate ancient battles, and re-fought all Alexanders battles with the Persians, and also All of Hannibal's battles with the Romans, Gauls, and Spanish,
    I had several thousand hand made miniatures all told.

battles persians hannibals battles romans gauls spanish hand miniatures told battles persians hannibals battles romans gauls spanish hand miniatures told
  • Shelly Sue 2012/07/20 02:53:37
    Yes, that's why I don't play
    Shelly Sue
    +1
    It's very hard to stop playing once you turn them on. I have canceled some important affairs after it becoming later and I didn't want to stop the game. Lucky for me, mine broke.
  • Shelly Sue Shelly Sue 2012/07/20 02:59:05
    Shelly Sue
    +1
    I thought I should add, I am normally a very dependable person. When I cancel important events that I should be tending too, it will always be with good reason except that for a short while I became attracted to a game and found myself in this situation.
  • Scott C 2012/07/20 02:35:36
    Yes, that's why I don't play
    Scott C
    My wife sits up half the night playing those things bahahahaha
  • Christ0212 2012/07/20 02:25:58
    Christ0212
    You have to have an addictive personality. Some people really get wrapped up in games, they usually have no life and are somewhat simple minded, although some are highly intelligent, but those that are intelligent usually are with drawn people. People from other countries get really wrapped up in games and even sports to the point of near insanity because what you and I take for granted to them its incredible.
  • Lil 2012/07/20 02:17:54
    Lil
    Yes... Very easy... To get addicted...
  • Karl Airey 2012/07/20 02:14:16
    I don't like video games
    Karl Airey
    Video games will kill the human spirit. As parents we need to set limits on these games. Kids don't want to do homework and neglect dinner or taking a shower. They splash cologn on instead...then run to the game box or their friends game box. They suck at school cuz they're too tired for one thing, and too bored with real life for another. I understand a couple of hours but honesty even 10 a week is too much for most kids. I know this cuz my friends kids are get more than that, the neighbour kidst and my kids' classmates too... and so many of them are little mouthy f'ers who can barely put two coherent sentences together! It's unbelievable. PARENTS WAKE UP! Every 30 minutes you let your kids play games is equal to hours and hours of frustration on your part.....never mind what it does to them!
  • codstir Karl Airey 2012/07/20 02:59:23
    codstir
    Hello Karl, I pretty much agree with you. I love video games, but I only play an hour a week, no more than 3. I don't swear, I speak in full sentences, and I don't type like an idiot. I actually get over 85% in all of my courses (I've just finished grade 11). I find that if I've finished all assignments, and I've done everything I need to do, I will play a couple hours of games. For me, its most definitely not an addiction, I could go 2 weeks without if I had a big assignment. I agree on the part most kids can easily get addicted, the class average for one of my courses was only 35%. (I had got a 97 :D). But yeah, if I've finished all my work, especially if I get a week of school, I might spend even 20 hours on a week, I see nothing wrong with that. I got a girlfriend, I got many friends, I actually nurse my mom (she just had surgery). I've always ate dinner at the dinner table, when it's served. I've now actually been cooking it. So basically what I am trying to say is, just because you see a kid playing a bunch of games, doesn't mean hes a lazy jack a**. (though I bet more than half are).
  • Farbiger 2012/07/20 02:09:38
    No, we can quit whenever we want
    Farbiger
    +2
    That sounds like something from 1000 Ways To Die.
  • CysticFibrosisMama 2012/07/20 01:52:00
    CysticFibrosisMama
    There should've been another yes answer cuz I can definitely get addicted, I just have a child to prevent me from doing so.
  • king david 2012/07/20 01:51:12
    No, we can quit whenever we want
    king david
    is not what i would have chose hell yes it is that easy and that is why i do play games it keeps me away from reality long enough not to care
    Yes, that's why I don't play
    +1
    I haven't time to waste. At best, gaming addiction wastes time. This is the worst that can happen: a man starves to death.
  • SebaTheSociallyAwkwardPenguin 2012/07/20 01:40:12
    No, we can quit whenever we want
    SebaTheSociallyAwkwardPenguin
    +1
    some people may become too attached
  • Doctor 2012/07/20 01:40:02
    No, we can quit whenever we want
    Doctor
    +5
    Portal cake
  • Jennife... Doctor 2012/08/04 01:07:08
    Jennifer Cat
    THE CAKE IS A LIE!
  • FunnyLi... Doctor 2012/08/09 17:35:46
    FunnyLittleNightmare
    THE CAKE IS A... aww someone beat me to it...
  • nikos.r... Doctor 2012/10/01 19:02:21
    nikos.renieris.58
    Keep dreaming...
  • Altering_Minds. 2012/07/20 01:34:28
    Yes, that's why I don't play
    Altering_Minds.
    +1
    It's not that I don't ever play it's just that,I don't really get INTO the game, so much that real life doesn't matter, because thats just mad...
  • lorraine 2012/07/20 01:07:42
    I don't like video games
    lorraine
    +1
    Yes I do think they are addictive, look at just what happen, a man just died from playing Diablo lll for 40 hours straight, this i real & it tells me there are issues involved with this types of games! I know from personal experience with my 3 sons, especially my 24 year old he was ADHD when he was younger & very good at games & still is:-) I used to get after him after school cause he would head straight for the computer or his X-Box & play hours & hours until I finally turned it off & he jumped up at me like he was going to hit me, mind you then he was 15 then, lol. The point is these games are addictive & we as parents need to set limits on these games & I learned this with my own sons :-) They don't want to do their homework the neglect dinner taking a shower their to tired to go to school & the list goes on & on! I understand a couple of hours but honesty 40 hurs straight playing a game I don't know how it is he died, because I have personally stayed up 72 hours straight in my past & I am 48 years old,mind you not playing games either, cause I don't like them at all, I don't like how it changes you kids atitude or they smart off & neglect homework chores eating dinner, sneak up at night & play while you the parent is sleeping then come to find out you see your son on the computer all zombie out & he has to go to School in an hour & 20 minutes, it really is pathetic if you ask me!!!
  • Karl Airey lorraine 2012/07/20 02:05:46
    Karl Airey
    Absolutely couldn't agree more!!
  • Mordred Emrys Morgan 2012/07/20 00:52:50
    Yes, that's why I don't play
    Mordred Emrys Morgan
    I'm sitting with an addicted gamer right now.LOL
  • EstiHimelstein 2012/07/20 00:51:25
    Yes, that's why I don't play
    EstiHimelstein
    +1
    I absolutely believe that video games are addictive and here is one of many proofs: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/2...
  • Ma La 2012/07/20 00:46:43
    No, we can quit whenever we want
    Ma La
    +1
    Not big on games myself, but I award this brilliant soul a Darwin Award. A few more like him and we humans won't have any problems at all...no humans around to have problems.
  • Tommy Beayon 2012/07/20 00:46:42
    No, we can quit whenever we want
    Tommy Beayon
    +1
    That had to be so funny, I wounded if it will be classified as suicide...lol
  • AdWhois 2012/07/20 00:41:45
    No, we can quit whenever we want
    AdWhois
    This is very funny. I've got no sympathy for this person.
  • Gaven Small 2012/07/20 00:36:14
    No, we can quit whenever we want
    Gaven Small
    +1
    You gotta have moderation. I like diablo 3 but not that much.
  • LoneWulfStud 2012/07/20 00:33:30
    LoneWulfStud
    +1
    *sigh* He was trying to hang with the true gamers... Couldn't do it... Poor fella... *sigh*
  • Smuwf, Twin 2012/07/20 00:32:59
    No, we can quit whenever we want
    Smuwf, Twin
    He was an idiot with a self destructive addiction to diablo.its an epic game,it deserves its devoted fans but when they die its their fault,,health and gratification go hand in hand,besides some Korean fella died after 6days if solid starcraft 2 nobody made a fuss
  • Jen Smuwf, ... 2012/07/20 04:21:13
    Jen
    I hope this story will not cause the government to interfere with good ol' fashioned fun! But maybe it'll get the attention of the F.D.A. who could mandate a new regulation. Something like issuing a statement to video game developers, requiring that their products must contain this warning on all boxes now sold: "Excessive & overuse of this technological device may lead to a shorter lifespan for some users. May also cause absent-mindedness, extreme isolation from you, depression, laziness, hunger, fatigue, lack of respect for people as well as other serious health issues, especially noted in kids. Adults should monitor younger users of this product who may become addicted to it while under a spell. If any of these bad habits develop in you or in someone you know, please seek psychological help immediately and discontinue product use.
    The well-being of our consumers is of utmost importance to us .".
  • Jen Smuwf, ... 2012/07/20 04:22:46
    Jen
  • Smuwf, ... Jen 2012/07/22 18:42:34
    Smuwf, Twin
    Its in the instruction manual,first page

2014/09/01 23:45:41